PDA

View Full Version : The Latest in Duke Uniform Fun

awhom111
09-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Since everyone likes discussing Nike's Duke uniforms, I guess that the Men's Soccer team decided to get in the act for this season. At Friday's game, they went with the blue and black (yes, black) hoops look with some players opting for the matching socks. Here is the photo gallery from the game with a couple examples:
http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?KEY=YGNTXLNTMZJKZAF.20120902183309&SPSID=22445&SPID=1833&DB_LANG=C&PALBID=485552&DB_OEM_ID=4200

On Sunday's game they went with the white uniforms with the blue sash and more striped socks, which was extra special in this case since their opponents, Delaware, were wearing their Nike blue uniforms with a yellow sash. Here is that photo gallery:
http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?KEY=YGNTXLNTMZJKZAF.20120902183309&SPSID=22445&SPID=1833&DB_LANG=C&PALBID=486248&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I personally think that all the sash uniforms regardless of color do not look particularly great. The uniforms also apparently do not have space for Duke written out on the front, so they are only on the back with the Iron Dukes logo in the space where most soccer teams have their badge. The hoops are interesting. I would like to see them in blue and white, although that might look like a ripoff of FC Porto. At least these have enough space for Duke to be written out on the front. I do miss the script font that have appeared on a lot of uniforms in the past. It does not seem like the women's team has been wearing similar jerseys but I guess it is a long season.

Native
09-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm actually a fan of the new jerseys. I think the blue and black stripes works for soccer. The sash doesn't look too shabby either. Could look way worse IMO.

blazindw
09-03-2012, 12:38 PM
I love the new jerseys. I'm particularly fond of the white with the sash. I'd be interested in seeing that with the Duke crest instead of the Iron Duke D (of course, with a star above it commemorating our national championship:

msdukie
09-03-2012, 08:47 PM
The uniforms are based on the last two styles of U.S. National Team kits. Only the modified Duke block remains as a wordmark for all teams and the Iron Duke D is the only primary athletic mark for all teams
The devil head by itself remains as a secondary mark, but not on uniforms. The number font has also been standardized.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I love the new jerseys. I'm particularly fond of the white with the sash. I'd be interested in seeing that with the Duke crest instead of the Iron Duke D (of course, with a star above it commemorating our national championship:

I too love the white jersey and like the blue/black one! :cool:

awhom111
09-09-2012, 04:04 PM
It looks like the women's team had blue uniforms with thin white hoops in their Friday game and a more traditional look on Sunday. I could not find any pictures from the game, but there are video highlights.

johnb
09-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Men's Blue with Stripes looks great.
Men's Sash looks good.
Women's (from the video, http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1842&SPSID=22662 ):
I'd lose the white shorts and replace with a more athletic cut and a darker color.

Ah, nice to get in touch with my designer side.

nmduke2001
01-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Has anyone else noticed all the Nike teams wearing jerseys which are very close to the traditional Duke design? There must be 20 or more out there. I was watching the UNM-St. Louis game last night and each team was wearing them.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=323660139&page=1

When we played FIU, they had Duke style uniforms as well.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=323230150

I don't like the trend, to be honest. I've always thought our uniform design was unique to us and I liked it that way.

allenmurray
01-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Has anyone else noticed all the Nike teams wearing jerseys which are very close to the traditional Duke design? There must be 20 or more out there. I was watching the UNM-St. Louis game last night and each team was wearing them.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=323660139&page=1

When we played FIU, they had Duke style uniforms as well.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=323230150

I don't like the trend, to be honest. I've always thought our uniform design was unique to us and I liked it that way.

We wear what Nike tells us to wear. So do the other teams. That is the deal you make when you take the $.

Jarhead
01-02-2013, 11:06 AM
They are similar. That's all.

miramar
01-02-2013, 11:28 AM
We wear what Nike tells us to wear. So do the other teams. That is the deal you make when you take the $.

To me the white uniforms look like Duke. I don't know what the black uniforms look like, except a generic Nike team.

Mike Corey
01-02-2013, 05:56 PM
We're debuting our black uniforms tonight, per DBP.

msdukie
01-03-2013, 12:11 AM

This is not quite true. The big name Nike teams (Nike Team Sports schools) have their uniforms designed by Nike and have to be approved by the schools/coaches. Nike specially designs Duke's basketball uniforms and sends a sample to the coaches each year (Nike's designers are on record saying that Duke is conservative with the changes it allows FWIW). Duke then signs off on the design.

Contrast this with the "lesser" Nike schools who have "supplier" contracts. They pick their uniforms out of a Nike catalog, with the only changes being the addition of school colors and logos. The choices include "templates" from the NTS schools. These include, Duke, Michigan State, Syracuse, Ohio State, and others, that's why you see lower quality reproductions of our uniforms (and MSU, OSU, Syracuse, etc.) all over the place. The fact that Duke has made "minimal" uniform changes since 1980 makes it even more obvious with the Duke templates than with the other schools. Davidson tonight was wearing a template we've seen repeatedly in the non-power conference schools.

nmduke2001
01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
This is not quite true. The big name Nike teams (Nike Team Sports schools) have their uniforms designed by Nike and have to be approved by the schools/coaches. Nike specially designs Duke's basketball uniforms and sends a sample to the coaches each year (Nike's designers are on record saying that Duke is conservative with the changes it allows FWIW). Duke then signs off on the design.

Contrast this with the "lesser" Nike schools who have "supplier" contracts. They pick their uniforms out of a Nike catalog, with the only changes being the addition of school colors and logos. The choices include "templates" from the NTS schools. These include, Duke, Michigan State, Syracuse, Ohio State, and others, that's why you see lower quality reproductions of our uniforms (and MSU, OSU, Syracuse, etc.) all over the place. The fact that Duke has made "minimal" uniform changes since 1980 makes it even more obvious with the Duke templates than with the other schools. Davidson tonight was wearing a template we've seen repeatedly in the non-power conference schools.

Thanks for the info. I figured as much. With the minimal changes seen at Duke, UNC and Arizona (to name a few) over the years, I was pretty sure that these "big name" schools have the right to refuse any changes. Glad you cleared it up.