PDA

View Full Version : UCLA basketball investigation

JasonEvans
09-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I know we had a thread on this, but I could not find it.

Anyway, the NCAA is now investigating (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20024238/ucla-trio-being-investigated-by-ncaa) the recruitment of Kyle Anderson and Tony Parker in addition to the previously mentioned recruitment of Shabazz "Adiddas" Muhammad. Yikes!

-Jason "great recruiting classes bring great scrutiny" Evans

hq2
09-02-2012, 04:54 PM
I know we had a thread on this, but I could not find it.

Anyway, the NCAA is now investigating (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20024238/ucla-trio-being-investigated-by-ncaa) the recruitment of Kyle Anderson and Tony Parker in addition to the previously mentioned recruitment of Shabazz "Adiddas" Muhammad. Yikes!

-Jason "great recruiting classes bring great scrutiny" Evans

Sigh. So what else is new; does this ever end?

miltk
09-02-2012, 09:39 PM
zag's reports the anderson/parker thing was cleared long ago,,,and that they were cleared to take the trip to china. they went. bazz however has not been cleared, therefore in absolute compliance ucla kept bazz at home. they don't want to screw around with grey areas.

i get the feeling the ncaa is just it's oats in the aftermath of the psu thing because there 's a bunch of schools in the headlines lately for the ncaa to feed off.

miramar
09-02-2012, 10:15 PM
The cbssports.com article states that, "The NCAA is also investigating whether Parker's family received improper benefits throughout the recruiting process."

That information seems strange considering that the family supposedly wanted Parker to go to Duke.

UrinalCake
09-02-2012, 11:41 PM
The cbssports.com article states that, "The NCAA is also investigating whether Parker's family received improper benefits throughout the recruiting process."

That information seems strange considering that the family supposedly wanted Parker to go to Duke.

Doesn't seem strange to me. Family wants him to go to Duke. Other school gives them pile of cash. Parker and family choose other school.

miramar
09-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Doesn't seem strange to me. Family wants him to go to Duke. Other school gives them pile of cash. Parker and family choose other school.

Well that certainly would explain why Duke, supposedly the school to beat in the Parker sweepstakes, wasn't even among the final three choices.

After all, Parker kept saying that Duke came up short on development. I thought he was talking about player development, but for all I know he was referring to economic development.

burnspbesq
09-03-2012, 01:51 PM
If violations are found at UCLA, who will be put on probation, UC Irvine or UC Davis?

sagegrouse
09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
If violations are found at UCLA, who will be put on probation, UC Irvine or UC Davis?

Probably CalTech 'cuz they have no more wins to vacate. -- sage

MaxAMillion
09-03-2012, 05:50 PM

My guess will be that UCLA gets put on probation since the NCAA has put them on probation before.

DukieInBrasil
09-03-2012, 05:58 PM

UC Santa Cruz. It's easy to be tough on a Banana Slug, just pour some salt on it and watch it turn inside out.

jimsumner
09-03-2012, 10:05 PM
My guess will be that UCLA gets put on probation since the NCAA has put them on probation before.

Yes. It's an easy punch line to state that the NCAA won't go after the big boys. But UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky and Michigan have all been nailed in hoops, along with Ohio and USC football and darn near everyone in the SEC except Vanderbilt.

The NCAA isn't exactly covering itself in glory in its ostrich-like approach to the current UNC-football scandal. But the idea that some schools are too big to fail just doesn't seem accurate to me.

Kedsy
09-03-2012, 10:09 PM
The NCAA isn't exactly covering itself in glory in its ostrich-like approach to the current UNC-football scandal.

You don't think the UNC situation has also become a basketball scandal?

CampbellBlueDevil
09-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Now, if the NCAA goes after UNC (one of the most prestigious and popular programs) I'll believe they truly want to protect the "amateurism" of college athletics.

The evidence has already been presented for them, Pack Pride's work, all they have to do is go in and find the proof.