PDA

View Full Version : UVA Lacrosse Killer Sentenced to 23 Years

sagegrouse
08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Former UVa lacrosse player, George Huguely V, received a sentence of 23 years for the slaying of UVa coed and lacrosse player, Yeardley Love.

In addition, the civil lawsuits (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/30/13571569-former-uva-lacrosse-player-huguely-gets-23-years-in-death-of-ex-girlfriend-yeardley-love?lite)are underway:

"Love’s family is seeking more than $29 million in damages from the state and university officials, alleging they did not properly handle a separate incident in 2009 when Huguely attacked a lacrosse teammate while drunk, Businessweek reported. The family has also filed a lawsuit against Huguely, the report said."

I have no comment except to say that this tragedy was preventable at every level.

sagegrouse

cspan37421
08-30-2012, 07:25 PM
23 years is considerably less than the future life expectancy that Love lost because of him.

rhynelander
08-31-2012, 12:32 AM
23 years is considerably less than the future life expectancy that Love lost because of him.

His sentence is also "just" twenty years longer than the basketball recruit who assaulted his girlfriend from the other recent thread. I put quotes around the twenty because twenty years is obviously a long time, especially in our "rehabilitation" system, however his crime seems exponentially much more heinous and despicable. Although I lack any kind of experience studying law, and furthermore comparing these two tragic cases, I feel the UVA lacrosse players sentence should be more harsh.

RepoMan
08-31-2012, 08:44 AM
I read an article that suggests that under controlling law, he has a guaranteed minimum of 18 years. One one level, that seems light. On the other hand, if you consider going to jail at age 24 and being released at age 42 -- that is a pretty significant loss of productive life. What a waste on all levels.

rocketeli
08-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Former UVa lacrosse player, George Huguely V, received a sentence of 23 years for the slaying of UVa coed and lacrosse player, Yeardley Love.

In addition, the civil lawsuits (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/30/13571569-former-uva-lacrosse-player-huguely-gets-23-years-in-death-of-ex-girlfriend-yeardley-love?lite)are underway:

"Love’s family is seeking more than $29 million in damages from the state and university officials, alleging they did not properly handle a separate incident in 2009 when Huguely attacked a lacrosse teammate while drunk, Businessweek reported. The family has also filed a lawsuit against Huguely, the report said."

I have no comment except to say that this tragedy was preventable at every level.

sagegrouse

Don't mean to aggro on you specifically, but I gotta ask preventable how?? Go back in a time machine and kill his parents before they pass along whatever genes made him violence prone? Lock up for life every guy who ever gets drunk and gets in a fight? Use the crystal ball that the UVA president keeps in his/her office to see the future and arrest him like that sic-fi story? What?

roywhite
08-31-2012, 09:47 AM

sagegrouse

Is there a role for the NCAA here?

Do their actions in the Penn State case establish a precedent for taking action based on lack of administrative control or an "athletic culture" that led to great harm?

burnspbesq
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
I gotta ask preventable how?? G

How about by the UVa staff recognizing that one of its players has a problem and making getting that player the help he needs a higher priority than keeping your second midfield unit intact?

It was common knowledge in the college lax community (known, apparently, by everyone except Dom Starsia) that Huguely had an alcohol problem and was a violent drunk. His arrest for public drunkenness and assaulting a cop after a frat party at Washington & Lee was legendary. The volatile nature of his relationship with Love was well known around C'ville.

If you cared to look, you could see this coming. Starsia and his staff did nothing to stop it.

burnspbesq
08-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Is there a role for the NCAA here?

Do their actions in the Penn State case establish a precedent for taking action based on lack of administrative control or an "athletic culture" that led to great harm?

Maybe, but there are three salient differences. First, there is no evidence of a cover-up at UVa. Second, there is no Freeh Report to make an NCAA investigation unnecessary. Finally, as much as some of us might wish it were otherwise, UVa lax doesn't have the same public profile as Penn State football.

I'd settle for Starsia and Van Arsdale losing their jobs and getting show-cause sanctions.

budwom
08-31-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd just as soon they keep that putz Starsia so we can continue to beat him like a drum.

BD80
08-31-2012, 12:23 PM
... The family has also filed a lawsuit against Huguely, the report said ...

Did Huguely's family ignore his issues, or worse, throw money around to conceal them?

I can envision to disparate scenarios, one with a supportive family somewhat out of the loop with respect to their son, entrusted to a staid and prestigious university and a high profile varsity sports program; another with aloof parents with their own concerns and pressures, willing to pay what it takes for someone else to handle things. Probably a few shades of gray in between.

I have no idea where tort law stands with respect to holding parents financially responsible for criminal acts of their children, but their are some instances where I think it would be appropriate and the only way to truly send a message to some parents.

budwom
08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Did Huguely's family ignore his issues, or worse, throw money around to conceal them?

I can envision to disparate scenarios, one with a supportive family somewhat out of the loop with respect to their son, entrusted to a staid and prestigious university and a high profile varsity sports program; another with aloof parents with their own concerns and pressures, willing to pay what it takes for someone else to handle things. Probably a few shades of gray in between.

I have no idea where tort law stands with respect to holding parents financially responsible for criminal acts of their children, but their are some instances where I think it would be appropriate and the only way to truly send a message to some parents.

I think the overriding legal principle here is that whenever you can sue a guy with a III, IV or V suffix, you do so. (The family has lots of bucks....building products, developments...own several houses...follow the money)

cspan37421
08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I think the overriding legal principle here is that whenever you can sue a guy with a III, IV or V suffix, you do so. (The family has lots of bucks....building products, developments...own several houses...follow the money)

That's some principle. Strategy might be a more appropriate word.

BD80
08-31-2012, 02:33 PM
That's some principle. Strategy might be a more appropriate word.

In this case: principal

sagegrouse
08-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Don't mean to aggro on you specifically, but I gotta ask preventable how?? Go back in a time machine and kill his parents before they pass along whatever genes made him violence prone? Lock up for life every guy who ever gets drunk and gets in a fight? Use the crystal ball that the UVA president keeps in his/her office to see the future and arrest him like that sic-fi story? What?

Well, I would like answers to some questions: How threatening was his behavior before the murder? How abusive was the relationship with Ms. Love? Did Ms. Love feel threatened? If so, how was she advised to ensure her security? (I mean, this lout broke down the door to her room in the house she where she was living.) What were the symptoms of out-of-control violence at UVa? What was he like at the Landon School? Were there issues with self-control, alcohol abuse, etc.? If so, who did UVa recruit him? How aware were his parents of his actions as a teemager and young adult?

You have an upper-crust scholarship athlete murder his girlfriend at the house she was living in near campus? How often does that happen? Once a decade? There had to have been signs.

sagegrouse

bundabergdevil
05-03-2020, 09:38 PM
ESPN running a 10-year anniversary retrospective for Yeardley Love. (https://www.espn.com/espnw/story/_/id/29125110/yeardley-love-legacy-lives-10-years-death-empowering-millions-identify-abuse?addata=espn:frontpage) Reading that naturally led me to check in on her murderer (https://www.nbc29.com/2020/04/30/former-uva-student-george-huguely-files-new-appeal-murder-conviction/), who recently filed a new appeal.