PDA

View Full Version : Future ACC Tourney Home?

Jeffrey236
08-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Interesting suggestion in the article posted on the main page that Virginia Beach host the ACC tourney one year. But with the ultimate demise of the Big East growing more likely (or at least its shriveling to a shell of its former glory), how much longer will MSG be the right venue for the Big East tourney? Before the Big East really took off, it was held in several locations (as many other second tier conferences still do today), and it could end up going back to that format. Perhaps the ACC Tourney could fill that void!

Kdogg
08-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Interesting suggestion in the article posted on the main page that Virginia Beach host the ACC tourney one year. But with the ultimate demise of the Big East growing more likely (or at least its shriveling to a shell of its former glory), how much longer will MSG be the right venue for the Big East tourney? Before the Big East really took off, it was held in several locations (as many other second tier conferences still do today), and it could end up going back to that format. Perhaps the ACC Tourney could fill that void!

With the big Duke fan base in the greater NYC area, that you be good for us. It would be like the opposite of playing in Charlotte. That's also a reason against the idea from the standpoint of the other ACC members.

BlueDevilBaby
08-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I like Washington, DC myself. How much more central can you get? Not too mention, only a few minutes from my home. ;>)

Olympic Fan
08-30-2012, 10:09 AM

I think reports of the Big East's demise AS A BASKETBALL CONFERENCE are greatly overrated. What's happening is that the football schools are bailing on the league. There is still a hard core of basketball-only schools that aren't going anywhere:

St. John's
Georgetown
Villanova
Marquette
DePaul
Seton Hall
Providence

As of now, they still have four schools with football teams that might be lured away:
UConn
Louisville
Cincinnati
Rutgers

And as long as Notre Dame remains committed to being a football independent, they qualify as a "basketball-only" school.

My point is, the Big East is going to persevere into the foreseeable future as a top-flight basketball conference -- even with the recent and potential departures.

As much as I'd like to see the ACC Tournament in the Big Apple, I just don't see that happening any time soon.

weezie
08-30-2012, 08:11 PM
I think VA Bch is a very interesting suggestion. I could rent out a few rooms for the weekend. "Bed and Beers," a cute little place close to the ocean!
Promise a rocking party Saturday night!

ForkFondler
08-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I'd go with the following six year rotation:

New York
DC
Greensboro
Charlotte
Atlanta
Orlando

Bob Green
08-31-2012, 05:23 AM
Interesting suggestion in the article posted on the main page that Virginia Beach host the ACC tourney one year.

Due to my recent relocation, I vote for Virginia Beach! :cool:

Indoor66
08-31-2012, 07:11 AM
Due to my recent relocation, I vote for Virginia Beach! :cool:

Didn't know you moved east. A navy man in Norfolk - say it ain't so, Joe.

Welcome back.:cool:

johnb
08-31-2012, 01:20 PM

New York
DC
Greensboro
Charlotte
Atlanta
Orlando

I like the rotation, though I'd probably eliminate Orlando and Atlanta since they help neither Duke nor me. I definitely like the NYC idea--and possibly DC-- however, as well as keeping most/half of the tournaments in NC.

jimsumner
08-31-2012, 04:11 PM
I wish they'd put it back in Reynolds Coliseum.

I live close enough to walk there. :)

DU82
09-01-2012, 03:28 PM

New York
DC
Greensboro
Charlotte
Atlanta
Orlando

I don't think the tournament will go back to Alaska, I mean DC, any time soon. When it was last there in 2006, it was generally thought to have been terrible (not because we won, of course.) Poor access to visitors (hard to drive to, since the usual people going don't take mass transit, no place for RVs). Florida in 2007 was also thought to be a failure. Last year in Atlanta wasn't great, but the tournament's had success there in the past.

I see it in Greensboro most of the time, once every five years or so in Atlanta, and probably will try it in the NYC area at least once in the next decade. No Florida, no DC.

sagegrouse
09-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't think the tournament will go back to Alaska, I mean DC, any time soon. When it was last there in 2006, it was generally thought to have been terrible (not because we won, of course.) Poor access to visitors (hard to drive to, since the usual people going don't take mass transit, no place for RVs). Florida in 2007 was also thought to be a failure. Last year in Atlanta wasn't great, but the tournament's had success there in the past.

I see it in Greensboro most of the time, once every five years or so in Atlanta, and probably will try it in the NYC area at least once in the next decade. No Florida, no DC.

Aha! An honest difference of opinion!

I have been to 10-12 tournaments over the years. DC is by far the best venue because of the convenience and the neighborhood. You are within three blocks of 40-50 bars and restaurants and the Washington Metro entrance is right in the Verizon Center. I remember fondly sitting in Jaleo's wonderful Spanish restaurant next to four guys wearing orange Clemson polo shirts, wondering what they were thinking about the food and ambiance.

In G'bo, by contrast, you walk three blocks and you are still in a parking lot. Even when you get to your car, there is still no place to go. My best experience there was one year, when I had an event at Duke, I stayed at the Wash Duke and commuted. Friday was shot, but Saturday evening and Sunday morning were wide open.

Charlotte is better but not as good as DC. I was last at the ACC in Atlanta the night K had the famous late dinner with Feinstein and one other person at Denny's after losing to UVa 109-66. So, I don't know how Atlanta ranks now.

In DC, while there is plenty of (expensive) parking in the neighborhood, it is best to leave your car at the hotel and take the Metro, much like you would do in NYC or Boston or Chicago. You need to be strategic about location, to ensure easy access to public transportation. You also need to lose your fear of an incredibly easy subway system to navigate -- this ain't NYC, London or Paris, with their confusing grids. If the -- excuse me -- yokels want to spend the tournament in their RV's, then this is not a good arrangement. If you want to "tailgate," then stake out an area of one of the many local establishments. And did I mention that DC is a pretty good Duke town?

sagegrouse

Blue in the Face
09-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Keep in mind that while the Big East surviving and keeping their tourney in MSG that might dissuade the ACC from considering going head to head with them, the garden is no longer the only show in town. The Barclays Center will be very convenient to mass transit (though obviously won't be as ideal for Amtrak and NJ Transit travelers), and will be modern, and presumably (hopefully?) well designed. (Plus everyone knows that Brooklyn is hip and cool).

uh_no
09-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Keep in mind that while the Big East surviving and keeping their tourney in MSG that might dissuade the ACC from considering going head to head with them, the garden is no longer the only show in town. The Barclays Center will be very convenient to mass transit (though obviously won't be as ideal for Amtrak and NJ Transit travelers), and will be modern, and presumably (hopefully?) well designed. (Plus everyone knows that Brooklyn is hip and cool).

keep in mind that uconn, rutgers, seton hall, SJU, providence, georgetown, and villanova are all closer to new york than the nearest soon to be acc school (syracuse)

Going head to head would not be a sure thing for the ACC in what is likely still very much big east territory and would likely be detrimental to both conferences.

hurleyfor3
09-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I have been to 10-12 tournaments over the years. DC is by far the best venue

DC SUCKED as a tournament host in 2005. Hard.

First off, the weather was lousy. Overcast the whole time, doubt it ever got any warmer than 45°.

Secondly, no one in the city seemed to care. Not like in Greensboro or Charlotte, at least. It was just another event at the Worldcom Center or whatever it was called then. There was no mingling of fanbases, no huge groups of people wearing their colors around.

Thirdly, the cops were absolute pricks. They were harassing people trying to BUY tickets on the street, while letting the "professional" scalpers go. I don't care what your laws are, that's not the way you create a welcoming environment to your tourists who have disposable income. And the ACC definitely wants every seat to be filled.

I like the Greensboro Coliseum better as an actual site as well, although this may be more of a personal preference. A larger percentage of seats in Greensboro seem to be worth sitting in.

I loathed the experience in DC even though we WON the thing that year.

If you're attending the whole tournament the bars/nightlife/other activities aspect is overrated. Friday (and Thursday, to those who care) is wall-to-wall basketball. Saturday is mostly basketball, then you catch dinner someplace. Sunday you go to the championship and take the plane home.

Greensboro today. Greensboro tomorrow. Greensboro forever.

DU82
09-03-2012, 09:16 PM

First off, the weather was lousy. Overcast the whole time, doubt it ever got any warmer than 45°.

Secondly, no one in the city seemed to care. Not like in Greensboro or Charlotte, at least. It was just another event at the Worldcom Center or whatever it was called then. There was no mingling of fanbases, no huge groups of people wearing their colors around.

Thirdly, the cops were absolute pricks. They were harassing people trying to BUY tickets on the street, while letting the "professional" scalpers go. I don't care what your laws are, that's not the way you create a welcoming environment to your tourists who have disposable income. And the ACC definitely wants every seat to be filled.

I like the Greensboro Coliseum better as an actual site as well, although this may be more of a personal preference. A larger percentage of seats in Greensboro seem to be worth sitting in.

If you're attending the whole tournament the bars/nightlife/other activities aspect is overrated. Friday (and Thursday, to those who care) is wall-to-wall basketball. Saturday is mostly basketball, then you catch dinner someplace. Sunday you go to the championship and take the plane home.

Not that I disagree with you (and I forgot to mention the cops/scalpers.) But to be fair, the weather sucked in Atlanta in 2009, too. (At least Saturday.) However you're more likely to get that in DC than Greensboro and Atlanta.

I wasn't in Atlanta this past season, but didn't hear great reviews. Greensboro is the heart of the conference, and that's where the majority of conference championships need to be.

fisheyes
02-01-2013, 11:05 PM
This up on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8906054/acc-eyes-men-hoops-tournament-new-york-source-says%5B/URL%5D

cptnflash
02-01-2013, 11:16 PM

New York
DC
Greensboro
Charlotte
Atlanta
Orlando

If the objective is attracting the best players to the conference, or maximizing revenue, or pretty much anything else, I'd go with the following six year rotation:

New York
New York
New York
New York
New York
New York

Duvall
02-01-2013, 11:19 PM
If the objective is attracting the best players to the conference, or maximizing revenue, or pretty much anything else, I'd go with the following six year rotation:

New York
New York
New York
New York
New York
New York

Won't the ACC best maximize its revenue by selling all its seats instead of not doing that?

cptnflash
02-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Won't the ACC best maximize its revenue by selling all its seats instead of not doing that?

The ACC will best maximize revenue in the short term by selling a lot of tickets at MSG at a (dramatically) higher average price per seat than what is likely to be had in Greensboro, Atlanta, DC, Charlotte, or Orlando (seriously, who is traveling to Orlando to see a basketball tournament?).

Over the long term, the ACC will best maximize revenue by attracting the best players to the conference. As much as I can't stand MSG, for some reason it seems to be ridiculously highly regarding as a basketball venue, particularly with the kids. Having the conference tournament at MSG obviously makes no difference in recruting for us, because we have so much else to offer, but that's not the case for most of the other teams in our conference. I absolutely believe that the second and third tier teams in the ACC would be able to attract better players if they could dangle a conference tournament in New York, rather than Greensboro.

And of course, media coverage (and especially media hype) would go up several octaves if we crowned our champion in midtown Manhattan rather than Greensboro. That dramatically outweighs near term ticket sale considerations.

-bdbd
02-02-2013, 02:23 AM

Kinda an unfair argument. The ACC would sell out in NYC as well as in Greensboro. There just is no contest in terms of prestige and exposure between the two, and ultimately in terms of attracting more attention, revenue and the better recruits to the league. The "Greensboro is the heart of the league and is where the Conference tourney should mostly be" argument/mentality is partially what alienated MD so bad and contributed greatly to their willingness to leave, what many fans here in the DC area refer to as a "North Carolina-centric league" (and I suspect they are not alone among fan bases in viewing the conference as NC-centric). The best conference deserves the best stage, unless we're comfortable with second-tier status and tournament location/coverage.

I often have gone to attend the ACCT in Greensboro. But when it comes down to it, I go solely b/c I love the basketball, even though I dread hanging out in Greensboro for three whole days. Which do you really think is a more exciting, interesting, and fun destination for the most people, G'boro, NC or NYC/DC? Since I'm not really partial to hanging out at the Hooters down on High Point Road, I prefer the place where I can also take in a Broadway Play, visit the Empire State Building, visit the WTC site, take in Times Square and my wife can take in virtually every shopping brand/venue known to man. :eek:

sporthenry
02-02-2013, 02:36 AM
NYC makes sense for Duke but I would suspect for many members of the ACC b/c it has a good alumni base in the area. Add in BC/Cuse and Pitt and NYC becomes more of a geographic hot spot.

But I think the one size fits all location for the tournament would be the wrong way to go. MSG with the BE made much more sense. It was just more geographically centered than just about any other location. I'm not sure if MSG would go for this since they could try to get a yearly tournament but I feel that the tournament will grow stale if it stays at any location. When the tourney is every year in one locations, fans there become complacent and might only attend if their team is competitive. Additionally, how many times are people from NC going to want to come to NYC? After the first 5 years, I would assume it gets boring. But if you rotate it between NYC, DC, Greensboro and a few other places, maybe even Va. Beach, I think you'll keep the excitement up.

Reilly
02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
... I often have gone to attend the ACCT in Greensboro. ... I go solely b/c I love the basketball ...

Right, that's what it used to be about: basketball and love. Seeing the ACC-to-NYC story makes me sad, just driving home the expansion nonsense and silliness. When I was growing up, all the TVs in the school would be put on for the ACC tournament ... kids would mysteriously have "dental appointments" crop up that day taking them out of school ...

Sure, go to NY or Orlando or wherever folks don't care about it ... don't love it ... to me, it's the difference between a hometown wedding, where everybody knows everybody, for good and ill, grew up together, and there's a real joy and a depth of emotion ... and a "destination wedding" -- "oh yay, the boat tour leaves in 20 minutes, and you are who again, and oh this is nice" .. and expensive and at the end of the day not as meaningful ...

Something -- a lot -- has been lost. And the NYC story just drives that home, and makes me sad.

burnspbesq
02-02-2013, 10:18 AM

I don't remember the weather in 2005 being that bad, but that could be because I didn't have to be out in it (I stayed at the Hyatt in Bethesda, which is on top of a Metro station). But even if there had been a Biblical plague of frogs, I would have worth enduring, just to watch the surly Turtle fans, who lobbied for years against the supposed NC-centricity of the tournament, dump their tickets after losing on Friday afternoon.

mph
02-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I agree with those skeptical of the move to MSG as anything other than an occasional spot in the rotation. Parking the ACC tournament in MSG prices too many fans out of the market. This won't make a difference to most booster/season ticket holders, but it makes a big difference on the secondary market, where many less affluent fans get tickets. The tickets will be substantially more expensive (http://http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmoney/2011/03/10/big-east-basketball-tourney-most-expensive-among-bcs-conference-tourneys/) and the hotel and food costs will make it impossible for many fans to make the trip in the hope of scoring tickets to the last two days of the tournament.

More broadly, I think it's a marketing mistake for the ACC to completely embrace the professionalization of college basketball. The criticism that the ACC is abandoning its roots isn't just a bunch of old curmudgeons complaining. The more cosmopolitan college basketball becomes the more it loses in comparison to the NBA. The passion of it's fan base is an important part of the future health of the ACC, and locating the tournament in accessible locations is one part of developing that passion.

One thing the ACC already got right is declining the invitation to play in the Georgia Dome in favor of arenas designed for basketball.

sporthenry
02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Right, that's what it used to be about: basketball and love. Seeing the ACC-to-NYC story makes me sad, just driving home the expansion nonsense and silliness. When I was growing up, all the TVs in the school would be put on for the ACC tournament ... kids would mysteriously have "dental appointments" crop up that day taking them out of school ...

Sure, go to NY or Orlando or wherever folks don't care about it ... don't love it ... to me, it's the difference between a hometown wedding, where everybody knows everybody, for good and ill, grew up together, and there's a real joy and a depth of emotion ... and a "destination wedding" -- "oh yay, the boat tour leaves in 20 minutes, and you are who again, and oh this is nice" .. and expensive and at the end of the day not as meaningful ...

Something -- a lot -- has been lost. And the NYC story just drives that home, and makes me sad.

But this is exactly what fans of other teams will complain about. Sure, it is great for the teams who can travel to Greensboro for the day but what about Pittsburgh or Syracuse? Attending a tourney in Greensboro becomes more than just love. I guess I feel sympathetic to them since I don't live near Greensboro and thus attending the ACCT would be more than calling out sick for a "dental appointment." This isn't to say the tournament should never be there but there is no reason it should be there every year just like there is no reason it should be in NYC all the time either.

Reilly
02-02-2013, 02:09 PM
But this is exactly what fans of other teams will complain about. Sure, it is great for the teams who can travel to Greensboro for the day but what about Pittsburgh or Syracuse? Attending a tourney in Greensboro becomes more than just love. I guess I feel sympathetic to them since I don't live near Greensboro and thus attending the ACCT would be more than calling out sick for a "dental appointment." This isn't to say the tournament should never be there but there is no reason it should be there every year just like there is no reason it should be in NYC all the time either.

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not advocating that Greensboro be the permanent home for the new 14-, 16-, 18-, 6000-team ACC tourney. I'm complaining that the fact we are discussing NYC, Orlando, and the feelings of Syracuse and Pittsburgh fans ... in conjunction with a discussion of where the ACC hoops tourney should be ... it's just sad in my book. A complaint about expansion, and what has been lost, rather than advocating for where it's played in the future. And the dental appointments were to *watch* the tourney on TV, not to attend. It used to be a special thing, one of the greatest sporting events around, due to the rivalries and familiarity. That's been lost.

Acymetric
02-02-2013, 04:00 PM

These "traditions" were alive and well when I finished middle school in 2002. Unfortunately, high school wasn't quite as willing to accept ACC fever as an excused absence.

sporthenry
02-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not advocating that Greensboro be the permanent home for the new 14-, 16-, 18-, 6000-team ACC tourney. I'm complaining that the fact we are discussing NYC, Orlando, and the feelings of Syracuse and Pittsburgh fans ... in conjunction with a discussion of where the ACC hoops tourney should be ... it's just sad in my book. A complaint about expansion, and what has been lost, rather than advocating for where it's played in the future. And the dental appointments were to *watch* the tourney on TV, not to attend. It used to be a special thing, one of the greatest sporting events around, due to the rivalries and familiarity. That's been lost.

My mistake. I apologize for misinterpreting that. I agree about the whole lack of tradition and losing that feel but now that it has happened, I think they should just make the most of it. And I don't go back as far as many on here and I don't remember much before the first expansion happened so perhaps that was even more traditional. But I think recently the ACCT has lost some of the allure b/c the ACC has been down recently. Some of what used to be great was the top teams and all the bubble teams playing each other. And maybe I'm just remembering it better than it used to be but there just seem to be a lot of bad teams in the past few years.

If you said I could go to any conference tourney over the past few years, I'd definitely take the BE over the ACC b/c you got to see top 25 match ups just about every day. This year, I'd take the Big 10, so I think the one positive to Pitt and Syracuse is that it will kill the Big East and throw the ACC right back into the mix with the Big 10 and Big 12 for best conference which will make the ACCT that much more exciting.

Class of '94
02-02-2013, 05:17 PM
My mistake. I apologize for misinterpreting that. I agree about the whole lack of tradition and losing that feel but now that it has happened, I think they should just make the most of it. And I don't go back as far as many on here and I don't remember much before the first expansion happened so perhaps that was even more traditional. But I think recently the ACCT has lost some of the allure b/c the ACC has been down recently. Some of what used to be great was the top teams and all the bubble teams playing each other. And maybe I'm just remembering it better than it used to be but there just seem to be a lot of bad teams in the past few years.

If you said I could go to any conference tourney over the past few years, I'd definitely take the BE over the ACC b/c you got to see top 25 match ups just about every day. This year, I'd take the Big 10, so I think the one positive to Pitt and Syracuse is that it will kill the Big East and throw the ACC right back into the mix with the Big 10 and Big 12 for best conference which will make the ACCT that much more exciting.

Not to nitpick you; but imo the Big 12 is not that great this year and I'd rate the ACC higher than the Big 12 as a basketball conference. And while the Big 10 "currently" has more top 25 teams, the ACC did tie the Big 10 in the challenge this year; and Penn St, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa aren't that good. Wisconsin, Ohio St and Mich St are strong defensive teams that struggle many times to score; and I'd argue that outside of Mich and Indiana, the Big 10 is brutal to watch (and I currently live in the Detroit metro area and I'm forced to watch a lot of Big 10 games here). Ill and Minn have come back down to earth; and for me I'd still rather watch the ACC or Big East tournaments this year over the Big 10.

Now back to the original topic of MSG over Greensboro. I still would prefer "the tradition" of having the ACC tourney rotating to various cities within the ACC footprint in order to showcase different areas and the cities within the conference while still keeping Greensboro as the hub of the conference. While there may be more high profile places to hold the tournament, no one imo supports the conference better or as well as the people of Greensboro and the surrounding area. And if people outside of the state of NC complain or think the ACC is too NC centric, then stepup and support ACC events better than NC. The strong NC support is one of the reasons why the ACC football championship was moved to Charlotte and has been the most successful location for the ACC. MSG is an incredible site for any tournament; but I wouldn't want to see it be the permanent site of the ACC tournament because I think it would cement the ACC as being the new "Big East" with the inclusion of several southern schools. The Big East is synonymous with MSG; not the ACC; and out of respect to the old Big East and its tradition, I wouldn't feel comfortable with the ACC permanently moving the tournament there. IMO, the venue (amd playing in a historic site like MSG) is not the most important thing; but rather the number of quality teams and games played in the tournament that is most important in making the ACC tournament fun and enjoyable to watch. That said, I'd love to see MSG and the Verizon Center in the regular rotation of cities (along with Atlanta and Boston) because I think NY and DC (among others) are wonderful cities and have great facilities for hosting the ACC tournament.

sporthenry
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Not to nitpick you; but imo the Big 12 is not that great this year and I'd rate the ACC higher than the Big 12 as a basketball conference. And while the Big 10 "currently" has more top 25 teams, the ACC did tie the Big 10 in the challenge this year; and Penn St, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa aren't that good. Wisconsin, Ohio St and Mich St are strong defensive teams that struggle many times to score; and I'd argue that outside of Mich and Indiana, the Big 10 is brutal to watch (and I currently live in the Detroit metro area and I'm forced to watch a lot of Big 10 games here). Ill and Minn have come back down to earth; and for me I'd still rather watch the ACC or Big East tournaments this year over the Big 10.

Well I wasn't just talking about this year with respect to the Big 12. I believe the Big 12 has been better than the ACC the past several years according to Sagarin and other ranking systems. Even in their down year this year, they are still ahead of the ACC.

And as far as the Big 10, game might be ugly but it still has the best mix of top 25 teams. Apart from style of play, you are most likely to see Sweet 16 and beyond type match ups in the Big 10 tourney than any other tournament. Big East has a lot of bubble type teams although teams like Cincy and Marquette are on the up and up so perhaps by the end of the season, they'll be good. But that is sort of how I view a tournament to visit, where will I see the most top match ups?