PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 46, Florida International 26

OldPhiKap
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Time to see what we have this year. Tough opener, I hope we get a great crowd for the game. We need to defend home field and take it to them!

Let's Go Duke!!!!!!!

Bob Green
08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Alright! Game thread is up so it is time to turn our general football discussion into specific discussion on FIU. The Golden Panthers are a tough team with a stout defense. This game will be won or lost in the trenches. Our offensive line is big, strong and experienced so it time for them to exert their will and dominate the FIU defensive line. After the game, I want to be able to say the game ball belongs to Brian Moore, Laken Tomlinson, Dave Harding, Perry Simmons and Takoby Cofield.

The weather is a little worrisome with Hurricane Isaac possibly bringing wind and rain into the triangle area. Hopefully, Isaac continues to veer to the west:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/085616.shtml?5-daynl

Duke is a four point favorite with the over/under set at 52.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

Let's go Duke! Beat FIU!

Greg_Newton
08-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I would gladly sacrifice five December basketball wins for one win on September 1st. No joke.

I just hope the players aren't as nervous as I am about this one...

subzero02
08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
If we plan on reaching a bowl game we need to pick up this one... Let's Go Devils!!!

peloton
08-26-2012, 07:42 PM
I will be in Wallace Wade Sat night with one son (now that his older brother is a freshman at USC in Columbia). So, these days I'll also be yelling, "Go Gamecocks!" in addition to "Go Devils!". Here's hoping it's a great game this coming weekend but above all, a Blue Devils victory as we take it to the Golden Panthers! Let's go Duke!! This is the dawn of a new era!

mkline09
08-26-2012, 08:31 PM
FIU is a solid team with a lot of veterans coming back but so is Duke and Duke did manage to beat them on their home field last season. I expect a close game. It is the first time under Cutcliffe Duke has opened the season against an FCS school. I think the players are confident and though the team is a bit beat up I think they have the talent to get the job done. I don't expect a bowl team this year from this team, mainly because the schedule is just brutal but I think it will clearly be the best team we've seen in a number of years and one that will scare some teams this year and they will win more games than many are thinking.

chrishoke
08-26-2012, 08:58 PM
FIU has an outstanding coach, is coming off a bowl season last year, and has a veteran club that received votes in the initial AP poll. If we come out flat like we did againstv Richmond last year, we will get rolled.

mkline09
08-26-2012, 09:23 PM
FIU has an outstanding coach, is coming off a bowl season last year, and has a veteran club that received votes in the initial AP poll. If we come out flat like we did againstv Richmond last year, we will get rolled.

I think Richmond was a combination of distractions with the black uniforms (they did the switch during pregame warm ups) and perhaps some over confidence. I think this team is much better prepared to come out and be ready to play from the opening snap because, like you said this is a good team.

I'm not entirely convinced that the FIU coach is all that great. Granted I know they made it to a bowl game and received some votes but he made some questionable decisions in the game against Duke last season that I felt cost him the game. Still he has a talented squad and it is one that Duke has to come out early and put their foot down or it will be more opening day disappointment.

BD80
08-26-2012, 10:16 PM
I would gladly sacrifice five December basketball wins for one win on September 1st. No joke. ...

I understand that everyone (else) has feelings, and feelings are valid and to be respected, BUT

Is this grounds for expulsion from the board? To me, offering to sacrifice a basketball win is high treason!

I will gladly offer up 5-10 games on unc's schedule

ForkFondler
08-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I understand that everyone (else) has feelings, and feelings are valid and to be respected, BUT

Is this grounds for expulsion from the board? To me, offering to sacrifice a basketball win is high treason!

I will gladly offer up 5-10 games on unc's schedule

Five BB wins is clearly excessive. But, I might go with 1 December MBB, a nonconference WVB, plus a wrestling match.

Greg_Newton
08-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Not just one, FIVE! :p

We could lose five games in December and still have a shot at winning the championship in three months. At worst, we'd be a favorite in 2014.

If we lose to FIU next week, I honestly think it would set the football program back a few years. Would be a very sad day for many reasons.

OldPhiKap
08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Not just one, FIVE! :p

We could lose five games in December and still have a shot at winning the championship in three months. At worst, we'd be a favorite in 2014.

If we lose to FIU next week, I honestly think it would set the football program back a few years. Would be a very sad day for many reasons.

I would certainly give up a bunch of December MBB wins to make a bowl. And to do that, a win Saturday is pretty damn important.

So, put me in Greg_Newton's boat.

ForkFondler
08-26-2012, 11:04 PM
I would certainly give up a bunch of December MBB wins to make a bowl. And to do that, a win Saturday is pretty damn important.

So, put me in Greg_Newton's boat.

.....a chance to make a bowl. You might want to save some of those December MBB losses for a much needed win later in the season.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-26-2012, 11:10 PM
FIU is a solid team with a lot of veterans coming back but so is Duke and Duke did manage to beat them on their home field last season. I expect a close game. It is the first time under Cutcliffe Duke has opened the season against an FCS school. I think the players are confident and though the team is a bit beat up I think they have the talent to get the job done. I don't expect a bowl team this year from this team, mainly because the schedule is just brutal but I think it will clearly be the best team we've seen in a number of years and one that will scare some teams this year and they will win more games than many are thinking.

Because of Isaac, FIU is closed Monday, and I'm sure the team lost significant practice time this weekend (and maybe on Monday) because of the torrential rains in the south Miami area Saturday and Sunday. The Homestead area is very low lying and subject to flooding. I wish problems on no one, but if the FIU team is a bit distracted this week...

subzero02
08-26-2012, 11:13 PM
What is the over under on wins this regular season?

BD80
08-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Because of Isaac, FIU is closed Monday, and I'm sure the team lost significant practice time this weekend (and maybe on Monday) because of the torrential rains in the south Miami area Saturday and Sunday. The Homestead area is very low lying and subject to flooding. ...

I'm familiar with prospects this year for our ground game, and under Coach Cut we will always have a dangerous air attack,

how are we in the water?

are we amphibious?

Bob Green
08-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Here is an article on FIU's defensive line depth:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/27/2969739/depth-not-an-issue-for-panthers.html

blazindw
08-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Don't forget that Friday is National College Colors Day, so rep that Duke Blue!! I won't be at the game Saturday (first opener missed in 4 years) as I will be at a wedding on the west coast. But, let's take the Panthers down a peg or two!

killerleft
08-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Pants Panthers!
Pants Panthers!
Pantsed Panthers' Pants!

Go Duke!!!

Be there if you can!

dukeman28428
08-28-2012, 08:04 AM
We will be in Wallace Wade for every game and please attend and bring a friend if you can.

Expecting this to be a break out year for Duke football and a good crowd can make a difference.

LET'S GO DUKE.

CathyCA
08-28-2012, 09:18 AM
I'll be in Wally Wade, cheering for my Blue Devils!

Let's go, Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I wanted to share Ozzie's post from the Blair Holliday thread up top for those that have missed it.

One of the True Blue 'Cue Crew tent members (Cheermom, the mother of one of our recently graduated cheerleaders) is setting up a donation station at our tent in Blue Devil Alley next Saturday. Everyone is welcome to stop by and put a donation in the jar! You'll find several familiar posters in attendance. :cool:

Bob Green
08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
The Miami Herald has an article up discussing the importance of FIU doing a better job this year rushing the passer:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/28/2971170/golden-panthers-plan-to-ground.html

Coach Cristobal gives our offensive line kudos for protecting Renfree. The article states the key match-up will be Duke OTs Cofield and Simmons against FIU DEs Tourek Williams, Greg Hickman and Paul Crawford.

jimsumner
08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Rather than start a new thread, let me add some notes from today's media lunch.

Permanent captains: Vernon, Renfree, Cockrell, Canty.

Full injury report Thursday. But Cut said 12 out, 2 questionable.

Look for nine true freshmen to play v FIU. Martin will place-kick and kick off. Also McCaffrey, Powell, Schneider and Duncan on offense, Norman, McCarthy, Williams and Wray on defense.

Much praise for FIU. New QB but pert near everyone else back. Cut said they have as much team speed "as anybody we'll play."

Cut also maintained that FIU was the most talented non-ACC team any ACC will play in its opener. Better than Auburn? Let's hope not.

Connette not listed on the two-deep. Maybe some gamemanship? But he'll play all over the field, as will Blakeney, who's listed as a WR. Both will "show up in a lot of places. Put playmakers on the field and put them in position to make plays."

No clarity on kick returners. Lots of options and some winnowing to do. Redshirt freshman Tim Burton looked great at KR in scrimmages but does he leap-frog guys with experience?

Cut and some of the staff flying down to see Holliday tomorrow. Holliday continuing to make progress.

Look for big crowd. Employee freebies.

jafarr1
08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Given our injury situation, if players like Burton and Kurunwune can step up to handle kick-off duties, it might help to keep starters like Butler and Vernon healthier. Butler (hamstring) and Vernon (ankle) both got hurt on special teams duty last season, if memory serves.

jimsumner
08-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Given our injury situation, if players like Burton and Kurunwune can step up to handle kick-off duties, it might help to keep starters like Butler and Vernon healthier. Butler (hamstring) and Vernon (ankle) both got hurt on special teams duty last season, if memory serves.

I hope I never again see Connor Vernon return a punt in a Duke uniform. He's just too valuable to risk. Terrible risk/reward ratio.

The same could be said to a lesser extent about Butler, Crowder, Scott or Snead.

Kurunwune is in to block for whoever else is back on kick returns. Just doesn't have the speed to be the primary return guy.

If Burton can handler KOR and Norman PR, I'm all for it. Duncan could also be in the mix.

Then again, there's something to be said for experience. We KNOW some of the vets can handle the job. We THINK some of the newbies can.

Bob Green
08-29-2012, 11:51 AM
There is lots of FIU coverage at the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/28/2971393/growing-expectations-for-fius.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/28/2971390/fiu-golden-panthers-seniors-seizing.html

The game on Saturday should be a good one.

Duke09
08-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Because of Isaac, FIU is closed Monday, and I'm sure the team lost significant practice time this weekend (and maybe on Monday) because of the torrential rains in the south Miami area Saturday and Sunday. The Homestead area is very low lying and subject to flooding. I wish problems on no one, but if the FIU team is a bit distracted this week...

Minor quibble. FIU isn't in homestead, its about 25 miles north of homestead. FIU is pretty much a straight shot west from Miami, while homestead is due south.

Bob Green
08-30-2012, 05:24 AM
For anyone desiring to read more about FIU, the Miami Herald has another article touting the defense:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/30/2975499/fius-jonathan-cyprien-wants-his.html

This one focuses upon senior Safety Jonathan Cyprien who is threatening to break the school's all time record for tackles. The Golden Panthers are excited to be facing a BCS school in the season opener. We need to match their excitement level from the opening kick.

mkline09
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
So after all of Heather Dinich's talk about how Duke is going to go to a bowl this year she is now predicting Duke to lose to FIU in the opener. A game she did a vlog about touting how it was a must win for Duke's hopes. If I recall correctly she predicted Duke to go to a bowl long before the injuries began to mount and she is citing those injuries as a reason for the Blue Devils loss. Oh well, what good are predictions anyway you got to go out and play the games.

But for the sake of argument here is my prediction for anyone interested.
http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/08/30/duke-looking-to-kickoff-season-strong-against-fiu.aspx

DukeSean
08-30-2012, 12:07 PM
So after all of Heather Dinich's talk about how Duke is going to go to a bowl this year she is now predicting Duke to lose to FIU in the opener. A game she did a vlog about touting how it was a must win for Duke's hopes. If I recall correctly she predicted Duke to go to a bowl long before the injuries began to mount and she is citing those injuries as a reason for the Blue Devils loss. Oh well, what good are predictions anyway you got to go out and play the games.

I'm gonna assume she's a closet Duke fan who wants us to get to a bowl game and thinks this will be good locker room material to motivate Duke. It's like the opposite double secret reverse psychology of this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/28098/page/picks/week-1-predictions-3

jimsumner
08-30-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm gonna assume she's a closet Duke fan who wants us to get to a bowl game and thinks this will be good locker room material to motivate Duke. It's like the opposite double secret reverse psychology of this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/28098/page/picks/week-1-predictions-3

Or perhaps she thinks that an injury-plagued Duke team can lose to FIU but then get healthier and find a way to still win six games.

CameronBornAndBred
08-30-2012, 01:09 PM

But for the sake of argument here is my prediction for anyone interested.
http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/08/30/duke-looking-to-kickoff-season-strong-against-fiu.aspx

She actually has us picked to go bowling in her first bowl prediction of the season (she updates it weekly). She figures every year there is a surprise so it might as well be us.

mkline09
08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
She actually has us picked to go bowling in her first bowl prediction of the season (she updates it weekly). She figures every year there is a surprise so it might as well be us.

Well I hope she is right at least with regard to the bowl, but at this point all I'm thinking about is FIU. I have Duke winning by a field goal in a close, relatively low scoring game.

Newton_14
08-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I am stoked and ready for Saturday Night to get here! Looking forward to the game, and seeing if our guys can overcome the injuries and get it done. Also looking forward to seeing all my DBR friends at Tail Gate for good food and good fellowship.

On another note, I have two extra tickets available at face value if any of you guys need a pair. Good seats in the Iron Duke section. PM me if you need them and we can meet up at tail gate.

Lets Go Duke!!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-31-2012, 09:26 AM
LET'S GO DUKE!
LET'S GO DUKE!
LET'S GO DUKE!
LET'S GO DUKE!
LET'S GO DUKE!
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-31-2012, 09:45 AM
I am stoked and ready for Saturday Night to get here! Looking forward to the game, and seeing if our guys can overcome the injuries and get it done. Also looking forward to seeing all my DBR friends at Tail Gate for good food and good fellowship.

On another note, I have two extra tickets available at face value if any of you guys need a pair. Good seats in the Iron Duke section. PM me if you need them and we can meet up at tail gate.

Lets Go Duke!!

Check your inbox.

DukeSean
08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Even though I won't be able to watch in person, I'll be streaming the live video feed from ESPN3 on my phone, watching the game while I'm out camping this weekend. Technology can be so great sometimes.

Yea, I know camping is a time to disconnect, but THIS IS DUKE FOOTBALL!

throatybeard
08-31-2012, 10:30 PM
So is E3 our only outlet?

dukebsbll14
09-01-2012, 12:51 AM
So this isn't really related to Duke at all, but given that it is Friday night(well, early Saturday morning), I thought I'd post Coach Gaines' halftime speech from Friday Night Lights. Except Blair Holliday is our Boobie Miles...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iPiN_YHjY&feature=fvwrel

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

(Again, I realize Friday Night Lights has no connection to Duke football, but I was in a FNL mood tonight...)

mkline09
09-01-2012, 08:06 AM
So this isn't really related to Duke at all, but given that it is Friday night(well, early Saturday morning), I thought I'd post Coach Gaines' halftime speech from Friday Night Lights. Except Blair Holliday is our Boobie Miles...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iPiN_YHjY&feature=fvwrel

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

(Again, I realize Friday Night Lights has no connection to Duke football, but I was in a FNL mood tonight...)

I watch that speech and I want to suit back up and run through a brick wall. Then I realize I'm 33 years old, not quite as fast as I once was and the thought of running into Kenny Anunike or Jordan Dewalt-Ondijo makes my back hurt so I sit back down and drink a cup of coffee and wait for kickoff at 7 p.m. Go Duke. Beat FIU.

peloton
09-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I have nothing really to add here other than let's send the Golden Kitties back to Florida with a loss...let's Go Devils!! I want to see that offensive line open up some holes for our talented corps of running backs! Looking forward to seeing you tailgaters tonight before the game (you know who you are!)

Jim3k
09-01-2012, 09:01 PM
What an end to the half. Cockrell runs back a blocked field goal 80 yards and Duke has FIU on the ropes at 37-14. Terrific blocking on the first 40 yards. A real convoy.

sagegrouse
09-01-2012, 09:05 PM
What an end to the half. Cockrell runs back a blocked field goal 80 yards and Duke has FIU on the ropes at 37-14. Terrific blocking on the first 40 yards. A real convoy.

Jim, I still hate the "prevent defense." All it does is PREVENT victory. We let those guys 81 yards in less than one minute (counting the personal foul on the dead ball after the kickoff).

sagegrouse

DukeSean
09-01-2012, 09:05 PM

A real momentum changer. I was getting upset with the Duke D for giving up big plays to put FIU in FG range, but wow that has to be demoralizing for the FIU locker room.

GO DUKE!

DukeSean
09-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Jim, I still hate the "prevent defense." All it does is PREVENT victory. We let those guys 81 yards in less than one minute (counting the personal foul on the dead ball after the kickoff).

sagegrouse

I agree. Especially if you can't do it well. We gave up too many yards in our prevent defense, especially off the broken plays when the pocket had collapsed

Jim3k
09-01-2012, 09:20 PM

sagegrouse

I won't disagree, but will point out that the personal foul let FIU out of the hole their returner put them in. That kind of flag is entirely negative.

mike88
09-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I am surprised to come to the board and see only a couple of posts- that was a great first half (and 30 point second quarter!) and we seem to be carrying over momentum into the second half. Josh Snead can really run the ball, and after a shaky start Sean has been money on his passes, especially to Conner Vernon. It is fun to be on the positive end of the turnover battle, too.

alteran
09-01-2012, 09:52 PM
I am surprised to come to the board and see only a couple of posts-.

I honestly do not know how to respond when we're up 30. It's just weird.

Go DUKE!

DukeSean
09-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I honestly do not know how to respond when we're up 30. It's just weird.

Go DUKE!

A lot of anxiety going into this first game (various injuries, etc), but this has been a lot of fun to watch! Defense has been pretty stout in the 2nd half, secondary coverage has been great. That is a weird feeling too.

mike88
09-01-2012, 10:01 PM
should also say that Jamison Crowder has had a nice game, and no one tonight has been better than Ross Cockerell

DukeSean
09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
should also say that Jamison Crowder has had a nice game, and no one tonight has been better than Ross Cockerell

His only blemish was that hold on 3rd down in the 2nd period that eventually led to a FIU TD, but other than that he has been great

Teton Jack
09-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Thank goodness we have a 30 point lead, because this offense has definitely let up the pressure. Even though we're giving up a lot of yardage, the defense has shown a lot of poise. What a welcome sight! On another note, I'm impressed with our freshman punter. His 2-step approach is wonderful to see. Shouldn't have problems with him being blocked.

wallyman
09-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Wow. Just looking on Gamecast, what an opener. But Vernon is in in the 4th Quarter with the team up 44-14 and the longest opening-day injury list in ACC history? Can anyone say that makes sense? Otherwise, congrats to Cut and the whole team.

DukeSean
09-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Wow. Just looking on Gamecast, what an opener. But Vernon is in in the 4th Quarter with the team up 44-14 and the longest opening-day injury list in ACC history? Can anyone say that makes sense? Otherwise, congrats to Cut and the whole team.

Duke was trying to get Vernon an extra reception to make him Duke's all-time receptions leader

wallyman
09-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Duke was trying to get Vernon an extra reception to make him Duke's all-time receptions leader

I get that. But he wouldn't had got it next week? Still seems dumb.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Over five hundred yards for FIU and a twenty point win. Weird game.

But hey, it's Duke football - I'll take ANY 20 point win against anyone.

Nice way to start the season - let's build on it!

OldPhiKap
09-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I was streaming on ESPN3 so did not have the ability to flip over here.

Great win!!!!

Excellent offense and special teams, defense did very well. Could pick nits, but I will leave that to the coaches.

On to Stanford!

DukeSean
09-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I get that. But he wouldn't had got it next week? Still seems dumb.

Well, it's a lot better to get that record at home in front of fans winning the game vs. away at Stanford in a probably losing situation...

uh_no
09-01-2012, 10:51 PM
well....where was that vaunted FIU defense?

the offense was great
the defense was great
the running game was not bad
the play calling seemed more aggressive than we have seen in seasons past....which made me happy.

on to stanford! can't fault the team for coming up with a win in a game many thought we might lose

Wander
09-01-2012, 10:52 PM
As one of the many who didn't like the Connette package, need to note that it worked very well in this game! Because we had a more diverse set of plays to use with him, I'd argue.

uh_no
09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
also, FIU was ranked 38th out of all FBS schools....and we were 103....we have 6 more opponents with rankings lower than that of FIU.....

nyesq83
09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Proud of Ross, who, early on, had two over-aggression calls, one arguably questionable, but came back and made some big plays.

I am an '83 Duke grad, I went to HS in NY with Ross' dad.

devildeac
09-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Wonder if we pick up a Spurrier vote this week...

;)

PSurprise
09-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Still in the hunt for the national championship!

In all seriousness, it looked like Duke came out hungry and wanting to make a statement. I hope they keep it up this year. It would be great to get to a bowl.

moonpie23
09-01-2012, 11:18 PM
could not watch/listen, so i had to keep up on the play-by-play on Sportacular.......it seemed from that that the team was pumped up from the start......

live reports? who all was there?

dukeman28428
09-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Just arrived home from the FIU game and was very encouraged with the speed and intensity of Duke. We made some big plays and this is an exciting start for the season. FIU is a good team and they are picked to win their conference. Happy to see Duke start the season on positive note with a big win. Let's GO DUKE!!!:cool:

loran16
09-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Plus

1. Jamison Crowder was the star really today, despite Conner Vernon. Every time he was thrown to he had his defender beat....just twice the ball was underthrown (once by Connette for an Incompletion, once by Renfree for the INT). Great work for a guy who really needs to be big to assist Conner Vernon.

2. Vernon - Need I say more? Major congrats to him.

3. Renfree - Didn't look great early, especially with the INT - Renfree started 4/8 for 30 yards and the Pick, but a terrific recovery: 17/22 for 260 yards. A telling play: Crowder had his man beat for like the 5th time in the game, and Renfree threw...and slightly overthrew Crowder, which is exactly what you want instead of a dangerous underthrow.

4. Special Teams - Blocked Kick? 2 Pt Conversion Returns? Amazing. The new Punter was insane with that range too.

Minus
Obviously very little here.

1. Early Roper playcalling: The team started the game off with a sequence involving a fleaflicker to Connette for some reason....(well not quite the standard flea flicker) where Connette predictably underthrew an open Crowder. Not necessary at all. The team got into a groove with, for the most part, normal playcalling later (one notable exception, a play fake to Connette where Connor Vernon went into motion that completely fooled the FIU defense and led to one of the bigger drives.) No need to set the tone early with trick plays, mix them in after conventional stuff, or after conventional stuff fails.

2. Early Defense switching: Hard to tell how effective each form of defense was, but it certainly looked like we were switching frequently between Duke's tried and "true" 4-2-5 scheme and the standard 4-3 scheme Cut's been trying to implement forever. On the first drive, the first play was a successful run stop with the 4-2-5. We then switched next play to the 4-3....and promptly gave up a 60 yard screen pass TD. Not saying it's the formation's fault, but...would rather stick with one form of D or another early on please.

Meta-Minus:
Why no Post-Game Thread? Cmon guys, Football deserves a post-game thread for each game rather than just one thread.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2012, 12:55 AM
live reports? who all was there?

We kicked butt and took names! The dream is alive! Bowl-bound in 2012. I was told before the game that the Liberty Bowl would absolutely LOVE to have Duke play there!

Congrats to Conner, Sean, Josh and Jameson on offense, as well as the offensive line, and Ross and Kyler, among others, on defense! :cool:

DevilWearsPrada
09-02-2012, 07:10 AM
We kicked butt and took names! The dream is alive! Bowl-bound in 2012. I was told before the game that the Liberty Bowl would absolutely LOVE to have Duke play there!

Congrats to Conner, Sean, Josh and Jameson on offense, as well as the offensive line, and Ross and Kyler, among others, on defense! :cool:

Absolutely!!!! It was great to see Conner break the Record on the First game of the season, and get that behind him. After shaking off the first few minute gitters, Duke played with Heart and Hustle and they were hungry!!! Great offense and defense, especially in the 2nd quarter!!!!

As Coach Cut says, WE ARE DUKE!!

mkline09
09-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Great performance last night by Duke. I wouldn't say that the press box was in stunned silence, because it was far from silent, but it was stunned. I sat next to an FIU blogger and he seemed befuddled most of the night.

My biggest observation is that FIU played like Duke. All the bad breaks, miscues that FIU made are the same kinds that Duke has made year after year. Fumbles, INTs returned for defensive PATs, blocked kicks that turn into touchdowns. And Duke, unlike Duke bounced back from their mistakes. Way too many penalties, 9-73 yards and a couple turnovers with a Renfree INT early and the late onside kick recovery, but overall Duke played as solid a game as I've seen them play this early and the season.

A big positive is that no major injuries from last night. Saw a couple guys taken back in the locker room, Lee Butler and Tony Foster (I think). Cut said after the game that nothing was major and it was cramps from the humidity. He said he started to cramp up himself when he was running down the sideline after Ross Cockrell picked up the block kick, which everyone agreed was a huge turning point and probably sealed the deal. A big swing like that to end the half I think killed FIU's spirit a bit.

Funny the FIU guy told me that Mario Cristobal likes playing in humid conditions because his guys are so used to it so hats off to Duke's training and conditioning guys, cause despite the cramps most of the guys made it through okay.

You guys can check out my post game recap here if you'd like.

http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/09/01/20120901.aspx

moonpie23
09-02-2012, 08:26 AM
winning builds confidence.....hope this starts a good week of practice before heading out west....

sagegrouse
09-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Aside from the team and the DUMB, how many students were at the game? 100? 500? 1500?

sagegrouse

loran16
09-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Aside from the team and the DUMB, how many students were at the game? 100? 500? 1500?

sagegrouse

I can't tell you this as I wasn't there, but the first game student attendance is mainly meaningless...the team always seems to have students turn up for game 1....it's every game after that students decide "Nah, not worth it."

DU82
09-02-2012, 09:25 AM

sagegrouse

There was a good turnout. Not completely full, but there wasn't a lot of empty space visible from my vantage point in section 28.

Many did leave in the fourth quarter, as did other fans, since it was clear the game was over. (the game took forever, it ended about 10:45.)

Acymetric
09-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Was kind of bummed to see the stadium completely empty at the end of the 4th (caused by a combination of heat, long game, and employees who weren't that interested I understand, but still) but still a great game. Most fun Duke game I think I've ever seen in person, with the possible exception of James Madison Cut's first year (the combination of storm, Cut coming out of the locker room to pump up the crowd, and just dominating JMU was really special). At Wake in 08 probably would have topped the list if we hadn't lost...the Duke section at that game was incredible.

75Crazie
09-02-2012, 09:43 AM
My biggest observation is that FIU played like Duke. All the bad breaks, miscues that FIU made are the same kinds that Duke has made year after year.
My exact observation. FIU just plain out-Duked Duke. The final stats were misleading because of the 4th quarter, but throughout the game the yards gained stats were pretty even. I think FIU's play calling was very suspect and played a significant factor in the big second quarter. I am happy with the result -- I'm just not reading anything into it right now.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
There was a good turnout. Not completely full, but there wasn't a lot of empty space visible from my vantage point in section 28.

Many did leave in the fourth quarter, as did other fans, since it was clear the game was over. (the game took forever, it ended about 10:45.)

Yeah, I don't understand how Duke students and Duke fans in attendance could leave before 0:00 showed on the scoreboard. (The employees, most of whom are not Duke fans, I understand.) Isn't this kind of game (and team) that we yearn for? After so many decades of suffering through reversed scoreboards (compared to last night's), of 0-11 seasons, of last minute losses, how could a Duke fan not stay to CELEBRATE a glorious VICTORY? Boggles the mind; mine at least!

mkline09
09-02-2012, 10:00 AM
My exact observation. FIU just plain out-Duked Duke. The final stats were misleading because of the 4th quarter, but throughout the game the yards gained stats were pretty even. I think FIU's play calling was very suspect and played a significant factor in the big second quarter. I am happy with the result -- I'm just not reading anything into it right now.

It is best not to read anything into an opener but I really liked how Duke played for the most part for three quarters. A lot of FIU's late yards came in junk time with a lot of younger guys on defense. Tackling was pretty bad, but Cut said he felt the reduced contact they had due to lack of two a days and the amount of injuries could have let to that since guys didn't get as much live work as he would have liked.

No reason though to get too cocky, confidence is fine, but we will see how it plays out next week in Palo Alto.

riddle me this
09-02-2012, 11:12 AM
A lot of my friends at Duke did not attend the game but were very happy and surprised to hear that Duke creamed FIU. We watched highlights together and I heard a lot of "Wow, I actually need to go to some games now." This is coming from people that watch NFL religiously, but have probably been to Duke football games once to twice. I am hoping this turns around student attendance at football games, even just a little bit.

Question: When is the last time Duke Football has been 1-0???

GO DUKE!!!

Bob Green
09-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Duke opened the 2010 season with a 41-27 victory over Elon.

doctorhook
09-02-2012, 11:37 AM
A lot of my friends at Duke did not attend the game but were very happy and surprised to hear that Duke creamed FIU. We watched highlights together and I heard a lot of "Wow, I actually need to go to some games now." This is coming from people that watch NFL religiously, but have probably been to Duke football games once to twice. I am hoping this turns around student attendance at football games, even just a little bit.

GO DUKE!!!

Duke was 1-0 2010 after beating Elon in the opener.

sagegrouse
09-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I don't understand how Duke students and Duke fans in attendance could leave before 0:00 showed on the scoreboard. (The employees, most of whom are not Duke fans, I understand.) Isn't this kind of game (and team) that we yearn for? After so many decades of suffering through reversed scoreboards (compared to last night's), of 0-11 seasons, of last minute losses, how could a Duke fan not stay to CELEBRATE a glorious VICTORY? Boggles the mind; mine at least!

Also, this is when your friends get some minutes -- you know, the walk-ons, the frosh and the scrubs -- who never get to play otherwise.

sagegrouse

Olympic Fan
09-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Cut is actually now 3-2 in openers -- losing twice to Richmond (2009 and 2011) and opening with wins over James Madison (2008), Elon (2010) and now FIU (2012).

However, this is the first time we've beaten an FBS team in our opener since 2003 (23-16 vs. ECU) ... and just the second time since 1994. In fact, I would argue that considering the quality of the opposition -- FIU is not a great team, but they are the overwhelming favorite in the Sun Belt, have been to two or three straight bowls and did get votes in the preseason top 25 -- that this is Duke's most impressive opener since Fred Goldsmith made his debut with a 49-16 victory over Maryland.

Amazing we did it with so many key players out. Luckily, we came through the game without any significant injuries -- in every case, the players carted off were suffering from cramps. A couple of players had to go to the locker room to get IVs, but everybody will be okay to go when the teams practices. Not sure if we get any of the players who missed this game back ... we'll have to see.

Cut used 61 players in this game. Not sure, but I think that's a high since he's been at Duke. The list includes nine true freshmen: PK Martin, WR McCaffery, TE Schneider, RB Powell, RB Duncan, DT Wray, LB Williams, C McCarthy and S Norman.

Way too early to go over the top for this team, but they did what they had to do to keep the bowl dream alive. I don't think Stanford is vital to that dream, although after watching them Fiday night barely squeak by San Jose State (coached by former Duke assistant Mike McIntyre), I have to think that one's possible.

But as it now stands, Duke needs five more wins to reach the magic six-bowl plateau. I think two more are gimmies -- NCCU and Memphis. That leaves three more games Duke has to win, either Stanford or in the ACC.

After last night, I think it's possible ... no, more than that, it's reasonable.

watzone
09-02-2012, 03:09 PM
http://youtu.be/871WVXPRjQo

Sandman
09-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Cut used 61 players in this game. Not sure, but I think that's a high since he's been at Duke. The list includes nine true freshmen: PK Martin, WR McCaffery, TE Schneider, RB Powell, RB Duncan, DT Wray, LB Williams, C McCarthy and S Norman.

I know it was late in the game, but a Freshman DB (perhaps "Porter", or maybe Norman?? By then I was well into celebrating and can't quite remember the name!) impressed me with his play -- I think our freshman class bodes well for the future!

Considering Stanford's performance this week, I'm excited at the possibility of another victory next Saturday.

GO DUKE

Acymetric
09-02-2012, 03:46 PM
I know it was late in the game, but a Freshman DB (perhaps "Porter", or maybe Norman?? By then I was well into celebrating and can't quite remember the name!) impressed me with his play -- I think our freshman class bodes well for the future!

Considering Stanford's performance this week, I'm excited at the possibility of another victory next Saturday.

GO DUKE

I thought #11 Tim Burton looked good. Also impressed by the way #40 (Norman) ran down and blocked the last defender for FIU when Kyler returned the 2 point conversion.

Jim3k
09-02-2012, 03:59 PM
As for blocking, I really liked the way the convoy formed in front of Cockrell on his TD run with the blocked FG. He sat in that pocket for quite a while before it began to break down due to speed. Then Cockrell slanted to the right and took off. But the convoy was quite formidable while it lasted. Very fine team awareness and adjustment to the situation.

allenmurray
09-02-2012, 04:55 PM

I stayed for the whole game. When I got in my car at 11:06 I looked at the thermometer and it read 87 degrees. And the humidity was awful. I can certainly understand why folks may have left once the outcome was obvious - it was miserable out. Thank godness it was a 7:00 start. If it had been a 1:00 game EMS would have been busy.

cbfx3
09-02-2012, 06:09 PM
I stayed for the whole game. When I got in my car at 11:06 I looked at the thermometer and it read 87 degrees. And the humidity was awful. I can certainly understand why folks may have left once the outcome was obvious - it was miserable out. Thank godness it was a 7:00 start. If it had been a 1:00 game EMS would have been busy.

I saw some Ap State fans at my store who left at halftime of tied game due to heat..

riddle me this
09-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Duke opened the 2010 season with a 41-27 victory over Elon.

Oh yeah, thanks. Whoops, I was actually at that game on the sideline. I should have remembered that. It just seems like its been a while.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-02-2012, 08:18 PM

Extra EMS were called in for the ECU game. Carolina had some sort of plan to deal with the heat for a 12:30P game. Wake had a 6:30P kick off and had a heat plan in force. The effect of the humidity was apparent on the field with muscles cramps and perhaps in low scoring in the second half.

Newton_14
09-02-2012, 10:13 PM
As for blocking, I really liked the way the convoy formed in front of Cockrell on his TD run with the blocked FG. He sat in that pocket for quite a while before it began to break down due to speed. Then Cockrell slanted to the right and took off. But the convoy was quite formidable while it lasted. Very fine team awareness and adjustment to the situation.

That was a really great run. It happened right in front of us. After initially starting his run, he actually checked up, to allow the convoy to get in front of him as two defenders had him cut off. Then as you described he followed the convoy, then made the beautiful cut and it was game over. Just an awesome, and heady play.

I have to admit, after the first 3 minutes of the game, I was in "oh great, here we go again" mode. The fumbled punt turned the awful start into a tie score, and a chance for Duke to start over so to speak. From there, the offense just starting clicking. Lot's of new, and creative play calling, aside from the obligatory sideways pass on Duke's first play from scrimmage, which again had me in "Oh great, here we go again" mode. After we got beyond that and started moving the ball vertically, I only had two small complaints about the offense. First, Josh Snead did not play nearly enough, and did not get nearly enough carries. We have to give that kid the ball early and often. I have no idea why he sat so much last night, given what he did with his chances. Second, is again with running plays. We do not give the running backs any room to build up momentum and we almost never run outside the tackles. Snead on a toss sweep from the I-Formation would be a great play. Most of our runs are right up the gut, from the shotgun, and with RB standing right beside Sean. Only when it is a draw play do the RB's get space to go full steam ahead. Seems that way anyway.

The defense is still really small behind the D-Line. Better skill and speed than years past, but still small, and not a lot of hard hitting guys, like a Vinnie Rey or Matt Daniels. That said, the defense hung in there last night on a very hot and humid night. Pass defense with the corners and safeties is miles better than it was in Cut's first year. If we can get some injured players back on defense, it will help a great deal.

The kicking game was a wow moment. Mr Sumner has been teasing us for awhile now that we had something special there. He did not lie. The kickoffs (other than the one to start the game) were phenomenal. Martin was booming them deep into the end zone each and every time. He did miss a FG he should have made, but I imagine first game freshman jitters likely factored into the miss, as well as the opening kickoff. Same thing for Will Monday and the punts. Good to great punts all nights. Very solid in the kicking game for the next few years.

Many things about last night were exciting and cause for hope. I honestly expected a loss given the preseason pub on FIU. I hope their defense really is as good as advertised, and it was superior offense that won the battle. Time will tell.

Bring on Stanford and Go Duke!!!

75Crazie
09-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Way too early to go over the top for this team, but they did what they had to do to keep the bowl dream alive. I don't think Stanford is vital to that dream, although after watching them Fiday night barely squeak by San Jose State (coached by former Duke assistant Mike McIntyre), I have to think that one's possible.

But as it now stands, Duke needs five more wins to reach the magic six-bowl plateau. I think two more are gimmies -- NCCU and Memphis. That leaves three more games Duke has to win, either Stanford or in the ACC.
Surely, an NCCU win wouldn't count towards the 6-win requirement, would it? Or have bowl games become so plentiful that 6 wins regardless of who you play is enough?

Acymetric
09-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Surely, an NCCU win wouldn't count towards the 6-win requirement, would it? Or have bowl games become so plentiful that 6 wins regardless of who you play is enough?

NCCU became a full Division 1-AA (ok ok FCS) member last year. They count toward the 6 for bowl eligibility the same way Elon and JMU did and the same way Richmond should have.

mkline09
09-03-2012, 12:27 PM

One win against an FCS school counts toward the required 6 for bowl eligibility. Now if you do like Duke did back in 2009 and NC State did even more recently, and play two FCS schools then they only count one of those wins toward bowl eligibility. So that limits things to an extent. But everyone plays FCS schools.

Dukehky
09-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Game was a lot of fun to watch.

Is anyone else with me when I say that I'm really tired of Connette getting plays. I know he ran and threw for a td, but I just wish Cutcliffe would keep his quarterback in the game. We aren't the Jets. It was the same last year when Boone came in a lot. If you want to keep the defense on their toes, have a draw option, that way Renfree can throw the ball more than 7 yards for a completion.

uh_no
09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Game was a lot of fun to watch.

Is anyone else with me when I say that I'm really tired of Connette getting plays. I know he ran and threw for a td, but I just wish Cutcliffe would keep his quarterback in the game. We aren't the Jets. It was the same last year when Boone came in a lot. If you want to keep the defense on their toes, have a draw option, that way Renfree can throw the ball more than 7 yards for a completion.

so long as connette =/= guaranteed run, I don't care what they do. it was less predictable, and worked.

if they can make it not broken, awesome....and it wasn't broken saturday.

NSDukeFan
09-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I would gladly sacrifice five December basketball wins for one win on September 1st. No joke.

I just hope the players aren't as nervous as I am about this one...

As a Duke Basketball fan who now follows the Football team's progress because of my time at this site, I am going to be awfully disappointed if the basketball team loses five December games. (;

Acymetric
09-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Just a side note worth mentioning, but I thought the band had a really good, big sound at halftime. Definitely some noticable improvement to that aspect of the program during the past several years. As a former band geek I can't resist commenting, plus it helps contribute to a big time football atmosphere!

CameronBornAndBred
09-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Back from a long weekend that of course included the game and the tailgate, so just a quick note before finally getting some real sleep. What a great game! I'm sure everything I've thought has already been said in here, but damn, that was a beautiful way to start the season. (And a tasty start too, great seeing all that we did under our tent.)

OZZIE4DUKE
09-03-2012, 09:53 PM
I only had two small complaints about the offense. First, Josh Snead did not play nearly enough, and did not get nearly enough carries. We have to give that kid the ball early and often. I have no idea why he sat so much last night, given what he did with his chances. Second, is again with running plays. We do not give the running backs any room to build up momentum and we almost never run outside the tackles. Snead on a toss sweep from the I-Formation would be a great play. Most of our runs are right up the gut, from the shotgun, and with RB standing right beside Sean. Only when it is a draw play do the RB's get space to go full steam ahead. Seems that way anyway.
Bring on Stanford and Go Duke!!!

I agree 100% - we need more Snead! :cool: And yes, a quick pitch to him rather than running a power sweep would take better advantage of his speed. He did run a power sweep for no gain last night, and I thought of the quick pitch as a better play.

jimsumner
09-03-2012, 10:07 PM
As a Duke Basketball fan who now follows the Football team's progress because of my time at this site, I am going to be awfully disappointed if the basketball team loses five December games. (;

Perhaps he meant over the next decade.