PDA

View Full Version : Today's Photo

Faustus
08-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Is that Cazzie Russell (#22) in the photo today? Wow, I think I was at that game as a little kid. If I remember this correctly, Michigan won that one after Duke had made a furious rally almost to catch them. But later on that season, in the NCAA's, Duke won the one that mattered. Of course as always, I could be wrong...

jimsumner
08-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Is that Cazzie Russell (#22) in the photo today? Wow, I think I was at that game as a little kid. If I remember this correctly, Michigan won that one after Duke had made a furious rally almost to catch them. But later on that season, in the NCAA's, Duke won the one that mattered. Of course as always, I could be wrong...

Cazzie Russell was number 33. I believe that is Bill Buntin.

Duke lost at Michigan early in the 1963-64 season but won the rematch in the Final Four, before losing to UCLA in the title game.

Duke lost to Michigan at Duke early in the 1965 season. Michigan went on to lose the 1965 title game to UCLA. Duke was upset by NC State in the ACC Tournament that season and stayed home.

Thus, Duke and Michigan were the first two teams to lose to Wooden in the finals.

Faustus
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks, Jim. In the far, far, faaaaarrrr recesses of memory I think I now remember that name, before the UNC Bill Bunting, too.

(Meanwhile the tv show 'Mad Men' and these archive photos are starting to occupy the same nostalgic time/co-ordinates, and I'm getting strange urges sent from multiple directions to use Bryl-Creme and wear penny loafers and hum songs by the Kingston Trio.)

WillJ
08-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Who, btw, died within a few years of this picture due to a heart attack sustained while playing basketball. A heart arrhythmia, most likely.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-24-2012, 01:48 PM
That was a heady game! Michigan had the big three: Cazzie Russell, Oliver Darden and Bill Bunting. I sat on the front row under a basket... students truly filled the downstairs bleachers then and were a part of the action on the court.:cool:

jimsumner
08-24-2012, 01:55 PM
That was a heady game! Michigan had the big three: Cazzie Russell, Oliver Darden and Bill Bunting. I sat on the front row under a basket... students truly filled the downstairs bleachers then and were a part of the action on the court.:cool:

The Michigan Buntin, no G.

The Carolina Bunting, G.

Buntin was a very good college post, 6-7, 235, strong as a bull. Couldn't transition successfully to the NBA. But he had 17 points and 14 rebounds in his only visit to Durham. Not too shabby.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-24-2012, 06:52 PM
The Michigan Buntin, no G.

The Carolina Bunting, G.

Buntin was a very good college post, 6-7, 235, strong as a bull. Couldn't transition successfully to the NBA. But he had 17 points and 14 rebounds in his only visit to Durham. Not too shabby.
Thanks for the spelling checker, Jim! To err is human, to correct is appreciated!:cool: