PDA

View Full Version : ACC's 2013 ESPN television schedule

Bluedog
08-22-2012, 03:16 PM
ESPN just released their TV schedule today:
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/62971/accs-2013-espn-television-schedule

Duke is on ESPNU four times, ESPN/ESPN2 nine times, and ESPN3/ACC four times.

This concerns me:
Wed, Feb 13 9 p.m. North Carolina at Duke ESPN3 * & ACC

What?! I'm not in the ACC region (and my area typically doesn't have an affiliate carry the ACC Network) so I'm going to have to watch it streaming on my computer? I realize it changes on a game-by-game basis which cities around the nation carry it. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding it.

I'm also not a fan of the ESPNU games as I don't get that channel...

Edit: I noticed that this is also only shows 17 Duke games. Is there a game missing from the 18-game conference schedule?

Bluedog
08-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Ah, the game vs. Maryland is on CBS. Full Duke schedule courtesy of GoDuke:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205657911&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Saturday Jan. 5 WAKE FOREST Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPNU 12:00
Tuesday Jan. 8 CLEMSON Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPNU 7:00
Saturday Jan. 12 at N.C. State Raleigh, N.C. ESPN 12:00
Thursday Jan. 17 GEORGIA TECH Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPN 9:00
Wednesday Jan. 23 at Miami Coral Gables, Fla. ESPN 7:00
Saturday Jan. 26 MARYLAND Cameron Indoor Stadium CBS 1:00
Wednesday Jan. 30 at Wake Forest Winston-Salem, N.C. ACCN 8:00
Saturday Feb. 2 at Florida State Tallahassee, Fla. ESPN 2:00
Thursday Feb. 7 N.C. STATE Cameron Indoor Stadium ACCN 9:00
Sunday Feb. 10 at Boston College Chestnut Hill, Mass. ESPNU 6:00
Wednesday Feb. 13 NORTH CAROLINA Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPN/ACCN 9:00
Saturday Feb. 16 at Maryland College Park, Md. ESPN 6:00
Thursday Feb. 21 at Virginia Tech Blacksburg, Va. ESPN/ESPN2 9:00
Sunday Feb. 24 BOSTON COLLEGE Cameron Indoor Stadium ACCN 2:00
Thursday Feb. 28 at Virginia Charlottesville, Va. ESPN 9:00
Saturday Mar. 2 MIAMI Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPN 6:00
Tuesday Mar. 5 VIRGINIA TECH Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPNU 7:00
Saturday Mar. 9 at North Carolina Chapel Hill, N.C. ESPN 9:00
Thurs-Sun Mar. 14-17 ACC Tournament Greensboro, N.C. ESPN/ACCN TBD

Sorry for the poor formatting. The above says the Duke-UNC game @ Cameron is on ESPN, not ESPN3, contradicting the ESPN release. So, that makes me feel better.

blazindw
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Sorry for the poor formatting. The above says the Duke-UNC game @ Cameron is on ESPN, not ESPN3, contradicting the ESPN release. So, that makes me feel better.

Pretty much every ESPN game of any kind can be streamed on ESPN3 anyway or at least replayed. And the UNC game will be on ESPN except in the ACC territories, where it will be on the local ACC Network affiliate.

English
08-22-2012, 05:03 PM
The February 7 game against NCSU airing on ESPN3 & ACCN, for those of us outside the general ACC network geography, is not ideal in a year that State will, presumably, actually be competitive. Although I recall one of the most infuriating moments of the Duke MBB 2011-12 campaign for me was giving up on my lousy ESPN3 feed of the Duke-NCSU game when the boys were down ~20pts, only to get a cell alert at the conclusion of the game that we had clawed back and won.

I'm not totally sure I want to repeat that series of events, but if the outcome is repeated, I'm happy to sacrifice my watching enjoyment.

pfrduke
08-22-2012, 06:34 PM
One thing I like about the schedule - only one Thursday/Saturday week and the travel for it is limited (2/28 @ UVA, 3/2 home against Miami). No Sunday/Tuesday weeks on the schedule either. That's a big improvement over last year (going off memory, it seemed like we had multiple Thursday/Saturday weeks).

subzero02
08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
The February 7 game against NCSU airing on ESPN3 & ACCN, for those of us outside the general ACC network geography, is not ideal in a year that State will, presumably, actually be competitive. Although I recall one of the most infuriating moments of the Duke MBB 2011-12 campaign for me was giving up on my lousy ESPN3 feed of the Duke-NCSU game when the boys were down ~20pts, only to get a cell alert at the conclusion of the game that we had clawed back and won.

I'm not totally sure I want to repeat that series of events, but if the outcome is repeated, I'm happy to sacrifice my watching enjoyment.

I almost did the same thing... But I have a hard time turning away, watching gone in 60 seconds makes it almost impossible for me(sans the 09 nova game)

Newton_14
08-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Ah, the game vs. Maryland is on CBS. Full Duke schedule courtesy of GoDuke:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205657911&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Saturday Jan. 5 WAKE FOREST Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPNU 12:00
Tuesday Jan. 8 CLEMSON Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPNU 7:00
Saturday Jan. 12 at N.C. State Raleigh, N.C. ESPN 12:00
Thursday Jan. 17 GEORGIA TECH Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPN 9:00
Wednesday Jan. 23 at Miami Coral Gables, Fla. ESPN 7:00
Saturday Jan. 26 MARYLAND Cameron Indoor Stadium CBS 1:00
Wednesday Jan. 30 at Wake Forest Winston-Salem, N.C. ACCN 8:00
Saturday Feb. 2 at Florida State Tallahassee, Fla. ESPN 2:00
Thursday Feb. 7 N.C. STATE Cameron Indoor Stadium ACCN 9:00
Sunday Feb. 10 at Boston College Chestnut Hill, Mass. ESPNU 6:00
Wednesday Feb. 13 NORTH CAROLINA Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPN/ACCN 9:00
Saturday Feb. 16 at Maryland College Park, Md. ESPN 6:00
Thursday Feb. 21 at Virginia Tech Blacksburg, Va. ESPN/ESPN2 9:00
Sunday Feb. 24 BOSTON COLLEGE Cameron Indoor Stadium ACCN 2:00
Thursday Feb. 28 at Virginia Charlottesville, Va. ESPN 9:00
Saturday Mar. 2 MIAMI Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPN 6:00
Tuesday Mar. 5 VIRGINIA TECH Cameron Indoor Stadium ESPNU 7:00
Saturday Mar. 9 at North Carolina Chapel Hill, N.C. ESPN 9:00
Thurs-Sun Mar. 14-17 ACC Tournament Greensboro, N.C. ESPN/ACCN TBD

It took some patience, but I was able to align the table. Thanks for posting the schedule. I am not crazy about the ESPNU games as Dish Network still does not offer that channel in HD which is down right ridiculous given how long it has been out. I came close to switching to Direct TV or TWC last fall just for that one channel. I can't believe Dish still does not have it in HD.

awhom111
08-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Pretty much every ESPN game of any kind can be streamed on ESPN3 anyway or at least replayed. And the UNC game will be on ESPN except in the ACC territories, where it will be on the local ACC Network affiliate.

Thanks to the new deal, there are no more local blackouts. That game will be on ESPN for everyone and on the ACC Network affiliate wherever it is available. The same applies to the ACC tournament.

Assuming your location is accurate, are you not in an ACC Network market? They actually had pretty solid coverage of areas outside general conference footprint so everyone should double-check their local listings when the games get closer.

flyingdutchdevil
08-23-2012, 09:29 AM
...we complain about not ALL of our games being shown on TV. Damn you ESPN! ;)

God, I love Duke.

Cameron
08-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I think last year there were three contests that were ACC Network or RJ-only games, which seems to be about on par with most years. I should know, because, as someone who has been taping Duke games since I was a kid, I remember each one of those nightmares in grave detail. On nights when I realize we aren't on ESPN, I am a straight lunatic and capable of horrible things. And this year we have four non-national network games? Are you kidding me? That is unbelievable and outrageously fair. Haha. We are seriously pampered. :D

Go Duke!

blazindw
08-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Is it still the case that each team in the ACC has to have a certain number of games available on the ACC Network? I know under the old deal for football, each team had to be featured at least once.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Out of curiosity, who is your TV provider of choice? Is it an option to get ESPNU as part of a sports tier for a few months?

Bluedog
08-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Out of curiosity, who is your TV provider of choice? Is it an option to get ESPNU as part of a sports tier for a few months?

Yes, it's part of the sports package (I have Comcast), which I'm too cheap to order since I don't really feel the need for SPEED TV and the other channels...So, it certainly is an option with my provider, but I'll survive by going to somebody else's place or a bar. Doesn't seem worth the $10-$15/month for just a few games. If I could get ESPNU a la carte for a few bucks, then I'd definitely order it. The other major cable provider in my area (RCN) has ESPNU standard (although I personally don't have them as an option). Comcast used to not even have ESPNU at all no matter how much you paid and what packages you ordered, but they finally agreed on a deal with ESPN.

sagegrouse
08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Yes, it's part of the sports package (I have Comcast), which I'm too cheap to order since I don't really feel the need for SPEED TV and the other channels...So, it certainly is an option with my provider, but I'll survive by going to somebody else's place or a bar. Doesn't seem worth the $10-$15/month for just a few games. If I could get ESPNU a la carte for a few bucks, then I'd definitely order it. The other major cable provider in my area (RCN) has ESPNU standard (although I personally don't have them as an option). Comcast used to not even have ESPNU at all no matter how much you paid and what packages you ordered, but they finally agreed on a deal with ESPN.

You may wish to contact Comcast and ask about whether ESPNU is NOW covered under your plan. I am a DC subscriber. I called with a complaint about service (can't remember the details) and the service rep on the phone said, basically, because you are a loyal customer, we would like to give you expanded service. The package included ESPN-U, the BTN network, the NFL network and others. Apparently, that was already being offered to new customers with my plan, but I hadn't bothered to inquire (and, of course, Comcast didn't offer it voluntarily).

sagegrouse