PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Lexington KY for wedding in my wife's family in November

moonpie23
08-22-2012, 12:27 PM
the last time we saw these folks was 2009. My wife's cousin(the groom) is a die-hard duke hater and UK lover.......i need some DBR "family" support to weather this dreaded trip......

may also need some talking points.....y'all know how wishy washy i get.....

Ichabod Drain
08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
the last time we saw these folks was 2009. My wife's cousin(the groom) is a die-hard duke hater and UK lover.......i need some DBR "family" support to weather this dreaded trip......

Depending on the date of the wedding and the outcome of a certain game... that could be a terribly awful experience or a blissfully amazing one. Though no matter the outcome they will still be reigning national champions, but I'm sure they'll tell you all about it.

sagegrouse
08-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Here are my lines, when travelling behind enemy lines in the Bluegrass State:

1. "Congratulations! I enjoyed seeing Kentucky play last year."

2. "Loss to Lehigh? It did us a favor. I am so tired of hearing excuses from our fans: 'Well if so-and-so hadn't been hot or if we hadn't missed our threes....' Lehigh stopped all of that this year; no way was Duke a FF team."

3. "Kentucky should be good this year. I am looking forward to the [November] game."

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-22-2012, 02:10 PM

2. "Loss to Lehigh? It did us a favor. I am so tired of hearing excuses from our fans: 'Well if so-and-so hadn't been hot or if we hadn't missed our threes....' Lehigh stopped all of that this year; no way was Duke a FF team."

3. "Kentucky should be good this year. I am looking forward to the [November] game."

sagegrouse
Your strategies are well chosen. They work with Carolina fans and others who can be overbearing.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Or you could just ask them how their beloved Richie Farmer is doing these days... ;)

devil17
08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
you could also ask them how long do they think it will be before the NCAA vacates their 2012 final four appearance and title...

moonpie23
08-22-2012, 04:55 PM
the wedding is on the 10th.........so we should have some good bravado to exchange....

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-22-2012, 06:44 PM
And maybe you'll even get to offer your "sympathies" on having lost Noel to ineligibility.

wilko
08-22-2012, 07:48 PM
I'd go scorched earth... If you hadnt seen em 3 yrs, what does it matter?.... then give em a big enuff dose to tide them over for another 3...

devildeac
08-22-2012, 09:20 PM
1. Helmet
2. Flak vest
3. Don't mention C.L.
4. Visit Lavabe and his family instead or if you need protection.

moonpie23
08-22-2012, 09:32 PM
the last time i saw the cousin, (he's a good kid otherwise) was right when calipari was RUMORED to be coming to UK....gillespie had been sent packing and he was all jacked up.......i made the comment that UK might be just desperate enough to hire Cal in an effort to be relevant again, he countered with "coach K is done - duke will never sniff the final four again"....

licc85
08-22-2012, 10:17 PM
I believe I may have a unique perspective on this thread, as Lexington is my "hometown", and I have lived there for over half of my life. (Although I lived in Durham for 7 years during my formative years, and during a golden age in Duke Basketball (1988-1995) prior to moving there, and thus, I am a Dukie through and through)

It really depends on who you talk to, but about 90% of basketball fans in Lexington, even if they aren't even old enough to have any recollection of the 1992 game, will tell you that they hate Duke. I suspect that this is an idea that is perpetuated from parent to child, and I would wager that this situation should continue well into future generations.

As far as advice, best scenario is to avoid revealing that you are a Duke fan. This should save you from a good deal of grief. But in likely case you are somehow exposed through family or just through conversation (or if you are like me, and just don't give a crap and take way too much pride in being a Duke fan), take these precautions:

1. Do not, for the love of God, mention Christian Laettner

2. Do not try to encourage any basketball related arguments, especially anything related to any UK players or teams, past or present, unless you are arguing FOR the UK side.

3. Do not attempt to disparage anything about UK basketball. Unless it's Billy Gillispie. They are ok with that.

4. Also, try to avoid over-praising Coach K . . they really really don't like Coach K.

5. Even if your argument is totally sound (e.g. "Coach K is a WAY better coach than Coach Cal"), you must realize that you are hopelessly outnumbered by fanatics who are completely and utterly unreasonable when it comes to college basketball.

6. In fact, if you do being to discuss anything related to Duke, try to change the subject as soon as possible to avoid any hostilities.

Growing up, I was a particularly proud Duke fan, and often unabashedly sported Duke gear at school and while I was around town. While I would never talk down about Duke in a discussion, I have since learned to wear Duke gear only around trusted friends, and never when I am going out on weekends. The only thing worse than a Duke-hater when you have a Duke cap on is a drunk Duke-hater when you have a Duke cap on.

That said, there are actually some perfectly reasonable UK fans out there that may or may not hold a grudge against Duke, but still give us the respect that we deserve as a top program in the nation, and these are often the more intelligent sports fans that I've met. Hopefully you run into some of these people, but as I said before, it's about a 1 in 10 chance. Good luck, and keep your Duke gear at home.

sagegrouse

P.S. You COULD go that route, and they would most likely not give you too much grief. But I would never say along the lines of #2 . . . you should be ashamed sagegrouse . . . where's your Duke pride? :)

sagegrouse
08-22-2012, 10:31 PM
P.S. You COULD go that route, and they would most likely not give you too much grief. But I would never say along the lines of #2 . . . you should be ashamed sagegrouse . . . where's your Duke pride? :)

You have to admit, there have been no what-might-have-beens with respect to the 2012 NCAA tournament. In that sense, Lehigh did us a favor.

I have told that to two Lehigh alums on separate occasions. Both of whom had the same attidtue-- don't blame us; we have never won anything in basketball; isn't it about time we win something.

sagegrouse

licc85
08-22-2012, 11:30 PM
You have to admit, there have been no what-might-have-beens with respect to the 2012 NCAA tournament. In that sense, Lehigh did us a favor.

I have told that to two Lehigh alums on separate occasions. Both of whom had the same attidtue-- don't blame us; we have never won anything in basketball; isn't it about time we win something.

sagegrouse

Hmm . . well, I just don't consider getting booted in the first round "doing us a favor." For one thing, it's embarrassing. I mean, how many 15s have knocked out a 2? Probably less than 10. (Maybe 7?) And it's not as if Lehigh had a better shot at making the final four than we did. I mean, If Ryan had made it back for the 2nd weekend, I don't think it would have been out of the question for the team to make a fairly decent run. I don't remember the exact bracket, but it's not as if we would have run in to Kentucky in the sweet 16 or anything like that. We were a good team last year, we just lost a key starter at the worst possible time. I was just making a point that I don't enjoy giving ground to UK fans when it comes to Duke, even if it saves me from some grief. Too proud for that.

wilko
08-22-2012, 11:39 PM
I havent forgiven them for '78 and their much ballyhooed jelly has no taste.

sagegrouse
08-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Hmm . . well, I just don't consider getting booted in the first round "doing us a favor." For one thing, it's embarrassing. I mean, how many 15s have knocked out a 2? Probably less than 10. (Maybe 7?) And it's not as if Lehigh had a better shot at making the final four than we did. I mean, If Ryan had made it back for the 2nd weekend, I don't think it would have been out of the question for the team to make a fairly decent run. I don't remember the exact bracket, but it's not as if we would have run in to Kentucky in the sweet 16 or anything like that. We were a good team last year, we just lost a key starter at the worst possible time. I was just making a point that I don't enjoy giving ground to UK fans when it comes to Duke, even if it saves me from some grief. Too proud for that.

Hey! It's time to move on. Next year. Next year.

sage

OldPhiKap
08-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Tell them that the BBQ is almost, but not quite, as good as it is in North Carolina. Then tell them that Ashley Judd is looking a little old and pudgy these days.

By the time they regain their bearings, you will have slipped over to the bar to freshen up your mint julep and it will be all good.

brevity
08-23-2012, 01:45 AM
I havent forgiven them for '78 and their much ballyhooed jelly has no taste.

No direct comment, but I wanted to acknowledge the awesomeness of your throwaway one-liner.

I've been to Lexington many times and like it a lot. It's the perfect-sized college town. And I've always believed that college basketball is a bigger year-round deal there than in Durham or Chapel Hill. It's like the DBR board but in real life (in terms of its meticulous dedication, but maybe not the level of discourse).

So I suggest you treat this like an anthropology experiment. Go embedded. Get to know the UK native culture by remaining detached. They may try to provoke you, but do not take the bait. Report your findings when you return.

KenTankerous
08-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Oh there is some funny funny stuff here!

But come on folks. OP is not coming to Lexington for a Coach's Challenge or a regional match-up, they are coming for a wedding. And while our bar-b-que sucks (I'm a vegetarian, what do I care!) and our basketball is ethically questionable, our hospitality is second to none.

My advise - shut up. There is no need to talk about basketball. AT ALL. If someone brings it up. Shut Up and get another shot of bourbon or scoop of ham salad. We do not unpromptedly invoke Coach K. Not even during the Olympics. So relax. Unless you bring it up, NO ONE will even know (or care) how to pronounce Laettner.

If you find yourself in the awkwardness of being identified as beign from the triangle, hate on Carolina.

We ALL have that in common.

dukeofcalabash
08-23-2012, 03:25 AM

Simply bone up on Kentucky's history of cheating (and the resulting championships). That should do it!

moonpie23
08-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Tell them that the BBQ is almost, but not quite, as good as it is in North Carolina. Then tell them that Ashley Judd is looking a little old and pudgy these days.

By the time they regain their bearings, you will have slipped over to the bar to freshen up your mint julep and it will be all good.

unfortunately, i would be lying in BOTH those cases..........then, to top it off.....i don't drink.....

perhaps if nerlens is still not cleared, i can show pity....

CLW
08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Ask for their thoughts on point shaving scandals and then remind them of the scandal in 1948-1949.

Newton_14
08-23-2012, 10:35 PM
1. Helmet
2. Flak vest
3. Don't mention C.L.
4. Visit Lavabe and his family instead or if you need protection.

I go the other route:cool:
1. Mention C.L.
2. Bring up Laettner
3. Talk about Christian
4. Inquire about Timberlake's chest injury and how long his hospital stay was
5. Ask how it feels to lose the game dubbed as The Greatest College Game ever, after leading with 2.1 seconds left and Duke needing to go the length of the floor
6. Ask if they realize Laettner shot 100% from the floor and foul line and how amazing that was
7. Inquire about their thoughts on whether or not to guard the inbounds player when there is 2.1 seconds left and a one point lead
8. When leaving to go home, tell them you will be sure to bring some autographed Laettner items next time you visit

-bdbd
08-24-2012, 02:46 AM
1. Mention C.L.
2. Bring up Laettner
3. Talk about Christian
5. Ask how it feels to lose the game dubbed as The Greatest College Game ever, after leading with 2.1 seconds left and Duke needing to go the length of the floor
6. Ask if they realize Laettner shot 100% from the floor and foul line and how amazing that was
7. Inquire about their thoughts on whether or not to guard the inbounds player when there is 2.1 seconds left and a one point lead
8. When leaving to go home, tell them you will be sure to bring some autographed Laettner items next time you visit

I'm with Newton -- flame on bro!!
I'd add a #9: Tell them that "Timberlake deserved it." To wit, ask them to rewind the game tape about one minute prior to the incident and watch Timberlake pull Laettner to the floor from behind, just so they "understand what precipitated the foot-taunt." (It wasn't the first such cheap-shot from him at CL that game - not by a long-shot.)

Unrelated to CL, I'd ask them which overnight carrier the BB program perfers these days for sending cash to recruits (hopefully one with rip-proof envelopes now)...
When they explain that the infamous "Lexington $100 handshakes" with BB players are a thing of the past, ask them innocently, "Oh, OK, what is the amount up to now?"

:D

devildeac
08-25-2012, 09:33 AM
1. Mention C.L.
2. Bring up Laettner
3. Talk about Christian

Excellent counter arguments. I went with self-preservation. I'd like to see the OP returned safely to his family;).

jimsumner
08-26-2012, 11:28 AM
You could try a different approach. Ask them how they managed to schedule a wedding at the beginning of basketball season. Were May, June, July, August, September and October unavailable? Ask them if they realize that they'll be planning their wedding anniversary around the beginning of hoops for all time.

Written by someone who got married on March 25. Who knew?

As for Lehigh, ask them how they enjoyed the NIT back in the Gillespie glory days. Drop a sly reference to Gardner-Webb or VMI, while you're at it.

wilko
08-26-2012, 12:31 PM
OH and just because I'm evil...

You could give them the gift that keeps on giving....
Sign them up for every, Sears, JCP, Khols, Victoria's Secret (insert fave OR Least Fave store/brand here) catalog to be delivered to their address under the name "Christian Laettner"

moonpie23
08-26-2012, 08:11 PM
now THAT'S an idea

i LIKE IT!!!

BD80
08-27-2012, 12:57 AM

Let's see, kentucky, you can always ask if it is true that a wildcat wedding is second only to a family reunion for hooking up.

AZLA
08-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Just say congratulations on the wonderful season and that you look forward to Kentucky vacating their championship in the near future due to recruiting and pay-for-play violations.

porkpa
08-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Ask them about the graduating rate of their basketball players. Then ask them whether more of their players graduate or get arrested.

devil84
08-27-2012, 12:06 PM

sagegrouse

I like this strategy, though I might alter the second point to, "Loss to Lehigh? Yes, most disappointing for Duke fans. But, remembering back to my days in college*, I remember the pure joy of being the underdog and beating a giant**. It's our turn to be the giant upset by the underdog. I'm happy for Lehigh, as well as Norfolk State!***"

* My freshman year was Coach K's first year
** We won a few good upsets when I was at Duke, but they were all regular season games. However, this also implies a particularly relevant post-season upsets which might be better left unstated.
*** #2 Missouri was upset by #15 Norfolk State last year. If they are truly a fan of college basketball, they'd get the reference that Duke wasn't the only #2 upset last year. Otherwise, you've just identified them as a Duke hater.

I'd also add #4: "How 'bout those Tarheels?" That ought to entertain everyone for the rest of the weekend.

allenmurray
08-28-2012, 11:15 AM
There is never really a good reason to go to KY. Suffer an injury that is minor, but that prevents travel, the day before the trip.

moonpie23
11-01-2012, 10:10 PM
so, my trip is next week......leaving the 9th...

could someone clarify for me? what's the difference between a brain hemmorrhage and an aneurysm? i think one is where you go down and one is where you're down for good......or one is where the arm is numb and can't drive......something....

i need to make sure my story holds up to some pre-med relatives....

Cameron
11-01-2012, 10:46 PM

could someone clarify for me? what's the difference between a brain hemmorrhage and an aneurysm? i think one is where you go down and one is where you're down for good......or one is where the arm is numb and can't drive......something....

Are you planning on hitting the groom over the head with something hard and looking for ideas to cover it up? If you are, I think you may have taken taken some of our smack talk suggestions entirely too seriously. ;)

ricks68
11-01-2012, 11:45 PM

An aneurysm is a weakening of a blood vessel wall that usually has a bulge where the weakened area is, and could burst. A Hemorrhage is when there is bleeding, usually big time------which will happen if the weakened wall gives. Pretty serious stuff. Ask devildeac for more clarification. He's a heart guy that would know details on blood vessels.

ricks

sporthenry
11-02-2012, 12:06 AM

Well what if Kyrie's toe didn't heal as fast and he didn't play and had injury concerns going into the draft and had to come back for another year.

moonpie23
11-02-2012, 07:42 AM
i was planning on faking one and staying home...

OZZIE4DUKE
11-02-2012, 08:02 AM

Why don't you fake something less serious, like a tummy ache! You know, something that will keep you out of sight and tied up for a long time, but is usually non-fatal! :cool:

moonpie23
11-02-2012, 08:09 AM
ozzie....it's a wedding of my INLAWS........i don't think anything "less serious" will cut it......it MIGHT, but if i know my wife, it had better be DANG serious....
:eek:

on another note, i'm thinking of taking my son, Sam, by Rupp....

wilko
11-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I still say sending them every catalog under the sun by the name of Christian Laettener is the best revenge - cuz I'm devious passive aggressive that way...

Perhaps show them your badge and let them know about your new job with NCAA investigations.

The best way to win a conversation you cant win is not to have it... OR have something waiting for you on the other side worth enduring the heat..

OZZIE4DUKE
11-02-2012, 09:34 AM
ozzie....it's a wedding of my INLAWS........i don't think anything "less serious" will cut it......it MIGHT, but if i know my wife, it had better be DANG serious....

They offer a for fee tour of Rupp. I did that three or four years ago. It was worth the $6(?) :cool:

And I DON'T know your wife! ;)

devildeac
11-02-2012, 02:05 PM
An aneurysm is a weakening of a blood vessel wall that usually has a bulge where the weakened area is, and could burst. A Hemorrhage is when there is bleeding, usually big time------which will happen if the weakened wall gives. Pretty serious stuff. Ask devildeac for more clarification. He's a heart guy that would know details on blood vessels.

ricks

ricks nailed it. Aneurysms aren't bad. Until they leak/rupture.

devildeac
11-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Make sure he's wearing his Duke blue glasses:cool:.

devildeac
11-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Make sure you visit the Liquor Barn. Fabulous beer selection but avoid the 2926.;)

Cameron
11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
After the tour of Rupp, make sure to visit Aminu in rehab. They are reportedly still trying to reverse the debilitating effects of his stomach injury. It's a tragic tale. Apparently, his stomach is now merely the size of a golf ball and he is forced to eat all of his food through a silly straw.

moonpie23
11-09-2012, 08:07 PM
sitting in a hotel in lexington watching duke play...........no one likes my duke hoodie....

they play maryland tonight i think...

DukieInKansas
11-09-2012, 09:09 PM
sitting in a hotel in lexington watching duke play...........no one likes my duke hoodie....

they play maryland tonight i think...

Let's go, Twerps!

moonpie23
11-11-2012, 12:21 AM
this has been a really interesting trip...we are staying in the Clarion Inn near the University. The hotel's entertainment center has a huge pool, hot tub and A BASKETBALL HALF COURT........the hotel is huge and hosted some sort of high school track meet AND cheerleader competition......there were prolly a 400 kids all over the place.....

the wedding was in a little country church WAY out in the sticks about 20 miles from lexington and the drive really showed us some amazing kentucky real estate.....horses are big business here..UK gear is as prominent as UNC gear at walmart..... the reception was held at, Fasig Tiptom, a thoroughbred auction place....the bride and groom both graduated from uk...

i called about getting a tour of Rupp, but was told that they did not offer public tours.. :( my son, sam, and i both rocked our duke hoodies and t-shirts prominently.....here are some of the statements we got from passer-bys.

1. "duke? y'all in the wrong place boy!"

2. "duke? man, y'all brave wearing that stuff here"

3. "duke!! see you crying tuesday night when the cats tear y'all up"

4. "duke huh? - see y'all tuesday night, altho i think you got a bit of edge on us right now"

5. "duke huh? how come y'all waited to play us NOW? how come y'all wouldn't play us year before last?

6. "duke huh! heh heh heh. We gon' keel y'all tuesday night!"

7. "hey dukie, you a long way from home !! Welcome to Basketball-ville!"

8. "Duke !! Coach K going to the lakers?"

also, they don't have much coke product here....pepsi seems to have the market cornered...

i'll post some pics later...

Turk
11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Loved this thread; also love the way Laettner is having fun with it in last year's Heroes vs. Villains game, plus today's link on the front page...

theAlaskanBear
11-12-2012, 04:04 AM
also, they don't have much coke product here....pepsi seems to have the market cornered...

i'll post some pics later...

The Heathens...

wilko
11-21-2012, 10:53 PM
So moonie - heard back from the fam lately?
Like since the game?

moonpie23
11-22-2012, 01:38 AM
radio silence.....uncle ralph texted the wife and said he was "sad"