PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

dukedoc
08-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Sounds like Karl Towns will be in the Triangle tomorrow and the next day visiting UNC and then Duke. Granted it's very early, anyone know how we stand with the young man? Who else are we in contact with in 2015 at this stage? Elijah Thomas, Mickey Mitchell, others?

Karl Towns ‏@KATis32
Tomorrow visiting Harrison Barnes land then next day visiting Rivers land #Duke #BlueDevils #CoachK

roywhite
08-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Also have heard about some Duke interest in 2015 shooting guard Austin Grandstaff from Texas.

Texas seems to be producing some great prospects, and Duke seems to have good connections.

tommy
08-22-2012, 02:54 AM
Also have heard about some Duke interest in 2015 shooting guard Austin Grandstaff from Texas.

Texas seems to be producing some great prospects, and Duke seems to have good connections.

Thank you, Coach Capel.

dukedoc
08-22-2012, 08:28 AM

Forgot about Austin. I believe he's teammates with Elijah Thomas. I think BDN mentioned they'd be visiting together soon.

Newton_14
08-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Towns is visiting State, UNC, and Duke this week. He picked up an article from State yesterday, but UNC did not offer yet. There some unwritten rule about offering sophomores that few coaches follow including Roy. I can't remember the exact specifics, but Roy follows that rule, or suggestion, or whatever it is. K doesn't. Anyway, UNC will surely offer.

Will be interesting to see if Duke offers tomorrow. Towns did say that academics will play a big role in his selection, as will potential teammates. You can read the WRAL article here (http://www.highschoolot.com/content/story/11462917/).

Edit: Per the article Towns is rated as the Number 1 player in the Class.

Towns is a 5-star prospect and is ranked the No. 1 player in the Class of 2015, according to ESPN.com. This summer, Towns played for the Dominican Republic National Team during the Olympic qualifying period. The team was coached by Kentucky coach John Calipari

Starter
08-24-2012, 09:22 AM
I actually just moved to Metuchen about three weeks ago, and I live about a mile and a half from St. Joe's. I look forward to going to a good number of Towns' games. He held his own in the limited time I saw him for the Dominican team, didn't look flustered against Team USA. He just sent out a bunch of pictures the other day on his twitter account from the rookie orientation event, and he's huge for his age. He took a picture with Jared Sullinger and they were basically the same size. This kid is legit, but I do wonder if Calipari has the early edge given that he's already picked him for an international team and coached him. (Either Machiavellian, or simply good fortune.)

mkline09
08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I a saw Channel 11 WTVD here in the triangle interviewed him yesterday and he only talked about his State and unc visits. There was interestingly enough not one mention from Towns or the reporter interviewing Towns about Duke and perhaps it got edited out for time or it just hadn't come up since he had visited Duke yet. Apparently he got an offer from State but not one officially from unc according to him. Very well spoken kid though.

Jderf
08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
This kid is legit, but I do wonder if Calipari has the early edge given that he's already picked him for an international team and coached him. (Either Machiavellian, or simply good fortune.)

Wait, are people still wondering about this? I had assumed Cal's motivation was generally common knowledge. Slimy, yet within the rules -- even if only because nobody else had ever thought up such a convoluted recruiting maneuver. I guess the other interpretation would be that Cal actually believed he could make the Dominican Team competitive? Seems outlandish.

dukedoc
08-24-2012, 11:30 AM
This kid is legit, but I do wonder if Calipari has the early edge given that he's already picked him for an international team and coached him. (Either Machiavellian, or simply good fortune.)

Actually not too concerned about this initial maneuver by Cal. As another poster highlighted, Karl seems genuinely interested in his academics and is reportedly at the top of his current class (at a real school, btw). Apparently he wants to be a doctor (after he's done with the NBA). He seems unlikely to want to simply skate through academically in his likely brief sojourn in college, but rather pursue a full degree path as others have done while in the NBA. Duke would seem to be a good fit for that plan.

Also, Karl must have gotten a clear view of Coach K and his crew of NBA superstars when the DR played the USA recently. Perhaps that contrast between Cal and K was helpful to him.

Ichabod Drain
08-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Wait, are people still wondering about this? I had assumed Cal's motivation was generally common knowledge. Slimy, yet within the rules -- even if only because nobody else had ever thought up such a convoluted recruiting maneuver. I guess the other interpretation would be that Cal actually believed he could make the Dominican Team competitive? Seems outlandish.

So Cal took on a two year responsibility to recruit a kid that wasn't even associated with the team when he started with the goal in mind that in two or three years the kid might wear a kentucky jersey for one season... If that was the plan then I don't think there's a doubt who the hardest working recruiter is but I doubt that was the reason, or at least not the entire reason.

Jderf
08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
So Cal took on a two year responsibility to recruit a kid that wasn't even associated with the team when he started with the goal in mind that in two or three years the kid might wear a kentucky jersey for one season... If that was the plan then I don't think there's a doubt who the hardest working recruiter is but I doubt that was the reason, or at least not the entire reason.

Two year responsibility? Haven't heard anything about that, but I'd welcome the details. I was under the impression that he only recently started up with the Dominican team. I could very well be misinformed.

BD80
08-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Allow me to rephrase: Does Cal sign up to coach the DR but for the chance to get a leg up in recruiting the #1 recruit for 2015?

lotusland
08-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Allow me to rephrase: Does Cal sign up to coach the DR but for the chance to get a leg up in recruiting the #1 recruit for 2015?

Won't Cal be coaching in the NBA by then? I was hoping...

Starter
08-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I think it's never a bad idea to establish a coach-player relationship with a kid who's the next big thing, regardless of motivation or sense of future outcome. Please note that I actually kind of like Calipari (I know, scandalous) and I wouldn't assume the whole thing was some huge scheme. My tongue was firmly in cheek for that last post up there.

-bdbd
08-26-2012, 12:46 PM

I recall from the telecast earlier this summer of the USA vs Domican Republic game prior to the Olympics that the announcers were chattering on about this kid. He didn't play a whole lot - he's many years younger than the rest of the team and there was at least an inference that he was actually on the team b/c of Cal's recruiting interest (there may have been older, currently better DR players) - and they also pointed out K was taking advantage of his position with USA BB to get a leg up on other recruits there in Vegas for camps, etc. But the inference was certainly there that Cal did take on the DR coaching gig to secure this kid (they actually were admiring his foresight in doing so).

My thought was simply that just a few short years ago people, even on this board, were talking about how K's recruiting had slipped and that the USA Basketball burdens were partially to blame. My how that worm has turned... ;)

GiveNGoBasketball
09-18-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.givengobasketball.com/karl-towns-article

Karl Towns interview. #1 in the nation class of 2015. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

gam7
09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
http://www.givengobasketball.com/karl-towns-article

Karl Towns interview. #1 in the nation class of 2015. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

I like that he says Len Bias is an influence on his game.

GiveNGoBasketball
09-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I like that he says Len Bias is an influence on his game.

Yeah he has a very good mindset

dukedoc
11-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Karl is set to announce next Tuesday. Seems like a lost cause from our perspective. I just hope he doesn't Skype with Cal.

MCFinARL
11-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Karl is set to announce next Tuesday. Seems like a lost cause from our perspective. I just hope he doesn't Skype with Cal.

Why, why, why, would someone who is a sophomore in high school be making his college choice now? I know this happens not infrequently, but I don't get it. Where is the advantage to the kid in making such an early choice (other than, perhaps, reducing the number of calls and texts they receive for two years)? Does a school have any obligation to honor the "choice" of a player too young to sign in case of injury or just a better option coming down the pike?

AtlDuke72
11-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Why, why, why, would someone who is a sophomore in high school be making his college choice now? I know this happens not infrequently, but I don't get it. Where is the advantage to the kid in making such an early choice (other than, perhaps, reducing the number of calls and texts they receive for two years)? Does a school have any obligation to honor the "choice" of a player too young to sign in case of injury or just a better option coming down the pike?

I agree with you - unless he picks Duke. In that case i think it would be a brilliant decision on this part.

MCFinARL
11-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I agree with you - unless he picks Duke. In that case i think it would be a brilliant decision on this part.

Yes, of course. ;)

dukedoc
11-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes, of course. ;)

I read somewhere this this family's rationale is that if he commits early enough, the program he commits to will have time to recruit "around" him, essentially custom-crafting a team to complement his capabilities to maximize the chance of winning a championship in his single year of college. Not sure that rationale holds too much water, but that's what I've read.

AtlDuke72
11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I read somewhere this this family's rationale is that if he commits early enough, the program he commits to will have time to recruit "around" him, essentially custom-crafting a team to complement his capabilities to maximize the chance of winning a championship in his single year of college. Not sure that rationale holds too much water, but that's what I've read.

I think it does. For example, if Towns picks Duke, Okafor and Jones will stick around for a second year and Rasheed will stay for his senior year. Those 4 could win the NC with me as the fifth starter ( and I will be 65 that year).

MCFinARL
11-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I think it does. For example, if Towns picks Duke, Okafor and Jones will stick around for a second year and Rasheed will stay for his senior year. Those 4 could win the NC with me as the fifth starter ( and I will be 65 that year).

Well, that is interesting and logical in theory--but it reflects a pretty high level of confidence that the coach will perceive you (or your son, if the parents are promoting this idea) as the centerpiece of his future program--which, again, is assuming that nothing will change, except for the better, over the course of 2 1/2 years.

BD80
11-30-2012, 10:33 PM

That sounds like it came from calipari

bedeviled
11-30-2012, 10:42 PM
I probably read the same article as dukedoc, and a clarification may help sort things out. His family's verbiage does suggest a one-and-done outlook with a desire to win the championship "that year." Furthermore, they talk about building the program with other players as below:

“One, it’s the benefit for the University to get prepared to build a good program for that year to win an NCAA championship, so it benefits the school, it benefits him because he can focus on what he has to do to get to the next level and become a better player when he reaches that level in college,” she said. “It’s a great thing. You don’t want to wait until the last year to decide where you want to go and then they don’t have the other athletes in place to make it a winning season for that university at the time.”

However, it is his AAU coach who states “You can build a program around him. If he’s coming to your school, you build a program around him. (http://zagsblog.com/articles/karl-towns-mulling-kentucky-duke/#more-83660)”

EDIT: Also relevant to the topic are Zagsblog's entries suggesting that he may reclassify to enter college a year early

luigi90
12-01-2012, 12:31 AM
He is a 17 year old sophomore. He is gonna reclassify so figure he is a junior. Geez. I was 17 when I graduated HS.

BD80
12-01-2012, 07:48 AM
He is a 17 year old sophomore. He is gonna reclassify so figure he is a junior. ...

Well, he already has 12 credits in AFAM from unc ...

Surfsideron
12-01-2012, 08:33 AM
I saw Mickey Mitchell at the Beach Ball Tournament last year in Myrtle Beach.

There was a plethora of talent here, including Julius Randell and Shabazz.

No one...absolutely no one was more impressive than Mickey Mitchell....and he was just a freshman!

The kid can shoot, handle, rebound, and is a terrific passer! I was blown away by the kid. It looked to me he could step on a college court and be an immediate star!
Just a complete player and polished!

My first thoughts were: Duke has to get this kid!

K was there and saw him. So was Roy.

I don't know anything about the Towns kid but I would find it hard to believe he is better than Mickey Mitchell.

jimsumner
12-01-2012, 11:03 AM

No one...absolutely no one was more impressive than Mickey Mitchell....and he was just a freshman!

The kid can shoot, handle, rebound, and is a terrific passer! I was blown away by the kid. It looked to me he could step on a college court and be an immediate star!

I don't know anything about the Towns kid but I would find it hard to believe he is better than Mickey Mitchell.

Mitchell might be a better football player.

So, he really has some decisions to make.

tommy
12-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Mitchell might be a better football player.

So, he really has some decisions to make.

Mitchell tore his ACL a few weeks ago too. Who knows what impact that will have on things?

Indoor66
12-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Well, he already has 12 credits in AFAM from unc ...

and has been shaving for six years.

rotogod00
04-16-2013, 09:38 AM
A name to keep an eye on for Duke in this class - PF Ben Simmons. Dave Telep says he could be "the best sophomore in America" and that "Duke is somewhat of a dream school" for him. From Australia and plays at Montverde Academy.

BD80
04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
A name to keep an eye on for Duke in this class - PF Ben Simmons. Dave Telep says he could be "the best sophomore in America" and that "Duke is somewhat of a dream school" for him. From Australia and plays at Montverde Academy.

Hmmm. We haven't been recruiting well in Australia recently ...

Ichabod Drain
04-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Kid looks very solid at 6'8" and in the tenth grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwETYV90lM

Already trying to think of nicknames for the down under kid....

rotogod00
04-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Kid looks very solid at 6'8" and in the tenth grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwETYV90lM

Already trying to think of nicknames for the down under kid....

Thanks for the video. A lefty who can shoot from deep and finish with both hands. Looks good indeed.

jimsumner
04-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Kyrie Irving is Australian.

Sort of.

NashvilleDevil
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Kyrie Irving is Australian.

Sort of.

So you're saying they have an in? :D

Indoor66
04-16-2013, 06:32 PM

The last Aussie I remember was Andrew Gaze and I would like o forget him. :mad:

jimsumner
04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
The last Aussie I remember was Andrew Gaze and I would like o forget him. :mad:

Lots of West Coast schools have Australians. Luc Longley may have been the highest-profile Aussie in U.S. hoops.

sagegrouse
04-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Lots of West Coast schools have Australians. Luc Longley may have been the highest-profile Aussie in U.S. hoops.

St. Mary's, for example:

4 Dellavedova, Matthew G 6-4 190 Sr. Maryborough, Victoria, Australia (AIS)
33 Hodgson, Matt C 6-11 255 Jr. Booval, Queensland, Australia (Ipswich Grammar)
1 Page, Jorden G 6-1 180 Jr. Maroochydore, Queensland, Australia (AIS)
3 Young, Mitchell F 6-9 235 Sr. Logan, Queensland, Australia (AIS)

Sagegrouse

Bay Area Duke Fan
04-16-2013, 07:10 PM

How about Andrew Bogut (formerly with Bucks, now with Warriors)? He was NPOY in 2005, his sophomore year at Utah, and played in 2004 Olympics.

House G
04-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the video. A lefty who can shoot from deep and finish with both hands. Looks good indeed.

Reminds me of Tayshaun Prince.

jimsumner
04-16-2013, 08:03 PM
How about Andrew Bogut (formerly with Bucks, now with Warriors)? He was NPOY in 2005, his sophomore year at Utah, and played in 2004 Olympics.

Yep. Bogut looked like a keeper. But he's had major injury problems for awhile. I wonder if he'll ever get back to where he was.

Billy Dat
04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Yep. Bogut looked like a keeper. But he's had major injury problems for awhile. I wonder if he'll ever get back to where he was.

Obviously, Longley has the 3 chips and is well known for playing on the Jordan/Pippen/Jackson Bulls.

BUT, Bogut is the only Aussie to ever make an All NBA team. Despite the injuries, his career scoring and rebound totals also outpace Longley. Combine that with his status as the #1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, his Wooden Award, his all Rookie team and the fact that he led the NBA in blocks as recently as 2011 makes me think he gets the nod over Longley.

Most significantly, he is behind one of my favorite foul line YouTube clips of all time. Who needs teammates?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc11PUnFgkQ

tommy
04-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Elijah Thomas, major 2015 PF out of Texas, has one of these USA Today blog things, and he posted today, very positive for Duke. He mentioned the schools that are recruiting him, then when he got to particulars, mentioned NC State first, then Duke, like so:

"I really like Duke too. Coach K was the first head coach that I talked to and they're definitely one of my favorites. I don't have any leaders, there's a long way to go I'm just enjoying it right now."

Link (http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/social-hub/blogs/item/161-the-book-of-eli-the-elijah-thomas-blog) to the blog.

K and Wojo spent a lot of time watching this kid at the EYBL this past weekend, and he played very well. We should offer him right now.

roywhite
04-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Elijah Thomas, major 2015 PF out of Texas, has one of these USA Today blog things, and he posted today, very positive for Duke. He mentioned the schools that are recruiting him, then when he got to particulars, mentioned NC State first, then Duke, like so:

"I really like Duke too. Coach K was the first head coach that I talked to and they're definitely one of my favorites. I don't have any leaders, there's a long way to go I'm just enjoying it right now."

Link (http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/social-hub/blogs/item/161-the-book-of-eli-the-elijah-thomas-blog) to the blog.

K and Wojo spent a lot of time watching this kid at the EYBL this past weekend, and he played very well. We should offer him right now.

Yes, like what I hear about Thomas; sounds a bit like Elton Brand physically.

Also liked these comments in the blog entry Tommy linked:

My other big goal is to get to a 4.0 GPA. I've got a 3.8 right now so I'm really close. I want to be No. 1 in my class academically so I'm doing all of my extra credit assignments. I'm on a mission y'all!

Of course I want to be No. 1 in my class in the rankings too.

I'm just a competitive guy and people think I'm happy with being where I'm at, but if I'm not at the top then I'm not satisfied. I want to do everything that I can to be the best and then I won't worry about rankings. As long as I know, I'm OK with that.

tommy
04-30-2013, 01:36 AM

After another big weekend of AAU ball, Kansas has now offered Thomas. Kentucky has initiated contact as well, as has UNC. I'm telling you, we should offer this kid right now. Big body, skilled, good touch, doesn't want to be a point guard, works hard, cares about academics. We're going to need bigs in this class and this kid is only going to get better. Get the offer on the table early. Show him that kind of love.

CDu
04-30-2013, 10:04 AM

Do like the quotes, but I think he may need a pointer on math. If he's at a 3.8 GPA now and isn't taking classes that are worth more than 4 points on the GPA scale, then he can't get to a 4.0. And if he is able to take classes that are worth more than 4 points, then he certainly won't be #1 in his class academically (as there will almost certainly be folks with a GPA well above 4.0).

But at least he has the right spirit and dedication. That's very commendable.

Ichabod Drain
04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Do like the quotes, but I think he may need a pointer on math. If he's at a 3.8 GPA now and isn't taking classes that are worth more than 4 points on the GPA scale, then he can't get to a 4.0. And if he is able to take classes that are worth more than 4 points, then he certainly won't be #1 in his class academically (as there will almost certainly be folks with a GPA well above 4.0).

But at least he has the right spirit and dedication. That's very commendable.

If he's doing extra credit assignments to raise his GPA then we're wasting our time recruiting him since it sounds like he's already enrolled at UNC. :cool:

BD80
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
If he's doing extra credit assignments to raise his GPA then we're wasting our time recruiting him since it sounds like he's already enrolled at UNC. :cool:

Bolded language distinguishes the situation from anything involving unc athletes with respect to "academics"

tommy
06-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Steven Zimmerman, 7 footer out of Las Vegas, was very good when I saw him a few weeks ago, and has continued to impress thus far at the NBAPA camp in Charlottesville. He is exploding on everyone's recruiting radars. Now I just saw an interview with him right here (http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/zimmerman-gunning-for-top-spot-in-2015/#more-98061), from Charlottesville, where he speaks very highly of Duke, and it's the only school he discusses in the piece. He's really early in his process, and is going to take his time for sure, but I really like the kinds of things he's saying about Duke and Coach K, and what is going to be important to him in his decisionmaking process. And his game is only going to get better as his body fills out. This 2015 class already has a number of very high quality bigs, and Duke is involved with several of them. Love it.

lotusland
06-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Steven Zimmerman, 7 footer out of Las Vegas, was very good when I saw him a few weeks ago, and has continued to impress thus far at the NBAPA camp in Charlottesville. He is exploding on everyone's recruiting radars. Now I just saw an interview with him right here (http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/zimmerman-gunning-for-top-spot-in-2015/#more-98061), from Charlottesville, where he speaks very highly of Duke, and it's the only school he discusses in the piece. He's really early in his process, and is going to take his time for sure, but I really like the kinds of things he's saying about Duke and Coach K, and what is going to be important to him in his decisionmaking process. And his game is only going to get better as his body fills out. This 2015 class already has a number of very high quality bigs, and Duke is involved with several of them. Love it.

duke after Robert's vertically blessed nephew - oh the times they are a changin'

tommy
06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
duke after Robert's vertically blessed nephew - oh the times they are a changin'

It's all over now, baby blue.

tommy
06-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Duke has offered super stud small forward Ben Simmons, 6'8" 230 or so, a left handed do-it-all, consensus top-5 player in his class. He's the first offer we've made in the Class of 2015.

BD80
06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Duke has offered super stud small forward Ben Simmons, 6'8" 230 or so, a left handed do-it-all, consensus top-5 player in his class. He's the first offer we've made in the Class of 2015.

This could be risky. I understand Coach K is trying to put together an entire team of players 6'8" tall, but isn't it possible/likely Simmons will add an inch or more in 2+ years?

Ichabod Drain
06-17-2013, 11:02 AM
This could be risky. I understand Coach K is trying to put together an entire team of players 6'8" tall, but isn't it possible/likely Simmons will add an inch or more in 2+ years?

Too late, ESPN already has him listed at 6'9".

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/166633/ben-simmons

tommy
07-06-2013, 01:13 AM
As I did in the 2014 thread, here is what I know as to an updated list of Duke targets in the 2015 Class. Of course, this list will change -- these kids are just rising juniors. Duke has shown more interest in some of these kids than others, and it's still real early in the process for just about all of them, so interest could wax or wane from either side going forward. And of course new names will be added as things move along. But for now, here goes:

Ben Simmons 6'9" 230, Australia. Duke's first offer in this class went to Simmons.
Stephen Zimmerman, 6'11" 215, Las Vegas. Fast, fast riser on all the lists. Mad skills for a guy his size.
Malik Newman 6'3" 175, Jackson, MS. #1 recruit in the class in the opinion of some.
Elijah Thomas 6'9" 230, Rockwall, TX. Major talent w big body.
Tyler Dorsey 6'4" 180, Bellflower, CA
Skal Labissiere 6'10" 200, Memphis
Ivan Rabb 6'9" 205, Oakland, CA
Diamond Stone 6'10" 250, Milwaukee.
Malachi Richardson 6'6" 190, New Jersey
Carlton Bragg 6'9" 220, Cleveland

cowetarock
07-06-2013, 08:14 AM
No,these are not new courses replacements at Chapel Hill. I was struck by not only the wide range of Duke recruiting for these classes but also except for one second tier prospect in 2014 not one of the 21 listed is from a state that is home to an ACC member present or future.

tommy
07-07-2013, 11:23 PM
No,these are not new courses replacements at Chapel Hill. I was struck by not only the wide range of Duke recruiting for these classes but also except for one second tier prospect in 2014 not one of the 21 listed is from a state that is home to an ACC member present or future.

True, but not all that unique either. Just look at the new kids on this year's team: Jabari, Semi, Matt, and even Rodney Hood -- from Chicago, Kansas, Texas, and Mississippi. If I'm not mistaken, I think Quinn, Josh, Tyler, and Andre are the only kids on this year's team from states that are home to ACC members.

The famous criminal Willie Sutton was once asked why he robbed banks. "That's where the money is" was his reply. When you want to recruit at the highest level, you go where the players are, I guess.

thedukie
07-14-2013, 10:14 PM
It appears Duke and Michigan State offered Luke Kennard today(Tweet by Evan Daniels). I love his game think he really fits Duke. What are your guys thoughts?

tommy
07-15-2013, 02:11 AM
It appears Duke and Michigan State offered Luke Kennard today(Tweet by Evan Daniels). I love his game think he really fits Duke. What are your guys thoughts?

Yeah I was going to add him to the list after the Peach Jam this weekend. The lefty from Ohio totally blew up and apparently has offers all of a sudden from Duke, MSU, and Kentucky, but all the big boys are very hot on his trail, including Louisville. Indiana, Florida, UNC, Ohio State, and Michigan. Hard to have a more impressive list of suitors than that.

roywhite
07-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah I was going to add him to the list after the Peach Jam this weekend. The lefty from Ohio totally blew up and apparently has offers all of a sudden from Duke, MSU, and Kentucky, but all the big boys are very hot on his trail, including Louisville. Indiana, Florida, UNC, Ohio State, and Michigan. Hard to have a more impressive list of suitors than that.

Luke Kennard highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07s_RiTBmk&feature=youtu.be)

Like his shooting range and his use of the floater near the basket.

He's also a very good high school football quarterback.

WillJ
07-15-2013, 09:13 AM
He seems to be quite amphibious, too.

MCFinARL
07-15-2013, 10:20 AM

So you're saying he will go to NC State?

BD80
07-15-2013, 12:32 PM

So he just floats in games?

WillJ
07-15-2013, 09:16 PM
So you're saying he will go to NC State?

Hopefully he'll go to college but, if not, he can go to State.

tommy
07-17-2013, 05:53 PM
As I did in the 2014 thread, here is what I know as to an updated list of Duke targets in the 2015 Class. Of course, this list will change -- these kids are just rising juniors. Duke has shown more interest in some of these kids than others, and it's still real early in the process for just about all of them, so interest could wax or wane from either side going forward. And of course new names will be added as things move along. But for now, here goes:

Ben Simmons 6'9" 230, Australia. Duke's first offer in this class went to Simmons.
Stephen Zimmerman, 6'11" 215, Las Vegas. Fast, fast riser on all the lists. Mad skills for a guy his size.
Malik Newman 6'3" 175, Jackson, MS. #1 recruit in the class in the opinion of some.

Two more names to add to the list are a bit unusual in that they are high school teammates, at St. Rita in Chicago:

Charles Matthews 6'5" SG
Myles Carter 6'7" PF.

Matthews is the higher rated prospect, and not surprisingly Duke is showing more interest in him than in Carter, but they've reached out to Carter as well.

ricks68
07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Spent some time in Las Vegas this past weekend and consulted with a UNLV super fan season ticket holder. While, of course, being a homer, he stated that Duke was the better team in '91 and that he has tremendous respect for Coach K. His father was doing a lot of announcing for the NBA preseason tournament there for rookies and others needing more playing time before the season. After talking with him for quite a while, I got the impression that he was very objective and had extensive bball knowledge. He told me that Stephen Zimmerman is more than the real deal. He has been following Zimmerman throughout his brief career, and says that he may be the best player ever to come out of the area. Just plain incredible skills for a kid his size. That's it.

ricks

tommy
07-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Duke offered Tyler Dorsey today. Very talented combo guard out of Southern California who just killed it at the Fab48 in Vegas last weekend, further solidifying his position as an elite backcourt prospect in this class.

I am very happy that this offer has gone out. He would be a terrific fit for Duke.

What I can't figure out is why we haven't offered Zimmerman. Should be a no-brainer.

ScreechTDX1847
08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
This is class of 2015 but couldn't find e thread.

My boss is related to this kid: http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=6181501

Apparently, Duke spoke to Chase Jeter today for 20 minutes - as well as UNC and Kansas. He has only played varsity one year but has recently been shooting up the recruiting rankings. Versatile stretch 4 is what my boss has portrayed the kid as. My boss also coaches high school ball so he knows is stuff. Great student as well apparently.

tommy
08-15-2013, 03:29 PM

We are out of it for Richardson. I don't think our hearts were in it for him anyway. The bigger story is still no offer for Zimmerman, who is in everybody's Top 5 and continues to impress every time he plays.

ricks68
08-15-2013, 03:32 PM
We are out of it for Richardson. I don't think our hearts were in it for him anyway. The bigger story is still no offer for Zimmerman, who is in everybody's Top 5 and continues to impress every time he plays.

I agree. Maybe there is something that we are not considering here------or that the coaching staff knows thaty we aren't privvy to. But then, isn;'t that the way it always is?

ricks

mr. synellinden
08-22-2013, 03:49 PM

Committed to Ohio State today (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1318535.html).

rhynelander
09-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Two tidbits about 2015 guys.

Here were some in interesting lines from Ben Simmons, the talented 6'10" Aussie. He can really impact the game with his rebounding and rounded offensive game. It's also noteworthy that he already might have a few pounds on Amile.

"Over the summer I kept in touch with coaches from LSU, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Florida, Ohio State and a few other schools through email for the most part."

"I'm up to about 6-foot-10, 230 pounds now."

"My biggest thing now though is to do well academically and, like I said earlier, help my team win another national title."

http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/social-hub/blogs/item/800-the-ben-simmons-blog

Charles Matthews is a highly rated SG prospect out of Chicago who lists us in his updated top 10.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/charles-matthews-trims-to-10/

roywhite
10-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Seeing a new name for Duke targets in 2015 -- Matt Ryan, a 6'7" shooter from Iona Prep in New Rochelle, NY.

TDD has a premium article on him.

ScreechTDX1847
10-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Coach K will be visiting Chase Jeter tomorrow from sources close to Chase's family. They believe Coach K will make an offer to him based on a conversation with Wojo earlier this week.

BD80
10-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Coach K will be visiting Chase Jeter tomorrow from sources close to Chase's family. They believe Coach K will make an offer to him based on a conversation with Wojo earlier this week.

Vegas, baby!

Private plane.

Coach K having a weekend!

Chase sounds like someone the crazies could cheer for. Literally. "CHASE!" Great name.

tommy
10-02-2013, 04:31 PM

It's not that I don't believe you. I do. It's just that I can't understand why Coach K would be getting on a plane, going across the country to Las Vegas to visit a 2015 frontcourt prospect and offer him a scholarship to Duke, and that prospect's name is not Stephen Zimmerman.

Henderson
10-02-2013, 09:11 PM
It's not that I don't believe you. I do. It's just that I can't understand why Coach K would be getting on a plane, going across the country to Las Vegas to visit a 2015 frontcourt prospect and offer him a scholarship to Duke, and that prospect's name is not Stephen Zimmerman.

Is there an academic issue? Character questions we don't know about? Signals from Zimmerman that he's not interested? I've heard it said (though I can't really believe it) that there are a couple people in the USA who just don't like Duke.

It's not that uncommon for us not to recruit a top player or to step in late. Looks like UNC hasn't offered either.

ScreechTDX1847
10-02-2013, 09:54 PM

I actually agree that it seems odd coach k would offer a scholly to someone in 2015 who isn't a top 10 players; though, this kid's stock is rising fast.

jimsumner
10-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Is there an academic issue? Character questions we don't know about? Signals from Zimmerman that he's not interested? I've heard it said (though I can't really believe it) that there are a couple people in the USA who just don't like Duke.

It's not that uncommon for us not to recruit a top player or to step in late. Looks like UNC hasn't offered either.

There are indications that Mr. Zimmerman's group of advisors may include Ron Holmes, a road Duke may not be all that fond of going down again.

Duvall
10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
There are indications that Mr. Zimmerman's group of advisors may include Ron Holmes, a road Duke may not be all that fond of going down again.

Indications. (http://www.dreamvisionaau.org/questions-answers-with-2015-stephen-zimmerman/)

19. Who are some of the mentors that got you to where you are at right now?

Zimmerman: My parents, Coach Clayton Williams my Dream Vision coach, Shabazz Muhammad, and Ron Holmes.

Then again, Jeter plays on the same AAU team, so.

jimsumner
10-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Indications. (http://www.dreamvisionaau.org/questions-answers-with-2015-stephen-zimmerman/)

It's entirely possible that some members of the AAU team listen to different people than other members of that team.

AAA1980
10-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Zimmermans UK or Arizona..

The guy i want to put more time into in that class of 15' bigs is Diamond Stone.. Hes always been extremely skilled but is now getting into shape and becoming more athletic hes a beast!

tommy
10-03-2013, 02:03 AM

Well, that interview is over a year old, and the interview was given to the Dreamvision squad's site, so it's not surprising that Zimmerman was very complimentary of the program and those around it, including Shabazz and his father.

Besides that, Mr. Holmes undoubtedly has more important matters on his mind these days than mentoring young Mr. Zimmerman, what with his having been indicted on federal bank fraud, mail fraud, and conspiracy charges (http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/30/local/la-me-shabazz-20130531). Given that, I'd be pretty surprised if Stephen and his family had Mr. Holmes in any kind of significant advisory role at this point. I think there are other issues.

AAA1980
10-03-2013, 11:26 AM
We seem to be going after Matt Ryan hard i dont know much about him at all but he seems like a great shooter and judging by his rankings thats probably his one strength..

We can always use shooters but i guess the question for him is does he want to go to Duke and the prestige that comes with it but the way were always loaded with guards/wings theryes a chance he could be buried on the bench or go to a lesser school but guarantee of a role and playing time..

COYS
10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
We can always use shooters but i guess the question for him is does he want to go to Duke and the prestige that comes with it but the way were always loaded with guards/wings theryes a chance he could be buried on the bench or go to a lesser school but guarantee of a role and playing time..

The class of 2015 won't set foot on campus until the 2015-2016 season. So much will have changed by then that it impossible to know whether or not Duke will be loaded with guards and wings. '09-'10 is a prime example of a Duke team that just the year before was loaded at the guard/wing spots with Paulus, Henderson, Scheyer, Smith, and Williams with Pocius as a backup (not even counting Singler as a wing) entered the season with only Smith and Scheyer plus a young freshman Dawkins. Bottom line, there are just too many unknowns. Plus, ANY recruit in the top 100 who is scared away by competition from teammates should probably immediately throw out the possibility of playing at a top-tier program. Austin Rivers sat in favor of Tyler Thornton in crunch time against Kansas two years ago. Corey Maggette came off the bench for Duke in '99. The highly touted Gerald Henderson took a full season before he was featured in the rotation and another season before he emerged as a full-fledged star. All these guys were lottery picks. Competition is a part of going to a top school.

Troublemaker
10-03-2013, 02:47 PM
We seem to be going after Matt Ryan hard i dont know much about him at all but he seems like a great shooter and judging by his rankings thats probably his one strength..

He needs to get a scholarship offer first. This early in the process, Duke is evaluating everyone (that has the grades) but only a select few end up with offers.

mr. synellinden
10-10-2013, 11:51 PM

Zimmerman just got an offer from UNC.

ChillinDuke
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM

So you're saying we offered already?

- Chillin

mr. synellinden
10-11-2013, 09:11 AM
So you're saying we offered already?

- Chillin

I'm saying it proves there are character questions.

KIDDING.;)

tommy
10-12-2013, 12:42 AM

Now being reported that UNC offered Jeter today too.

sfinleyo
10-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Looks like Ben Simmons is off the market.
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=9823563

flyingdutchdevil
10-14-2013, 01:18 PM

Well, if we don't him, best no other blue chipper does either.

wilko
10-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Say what now.....?
The LSU coach (I had to look up his name) was able to be a bigger draw, than the 2x gold medal winning US Olympic coach?
I actually had to read the article....

Money Quote:
"It's a huge pickup for Tigers coach Johnny Jones and his program, which had several ties to Simmons, the most important one being that LSU assistant David Patrick is Simmons' godfather and played with Dave Simmons in Australia."

LSU had personal connections... OK that makes sense now.

God Bless him - we'll be here if he changes his mind...

ScreechTDX1847
10-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Now being reported that UNC offered Jeter today too.

UNC did offer Jeter on Friday per his parents.

Steven43
10-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Say what now.....?
The LSU coach (I had to look up his name) was able to be a bigger draw, than the 2x gold medal winning US Olympic coach?

Not to pick on wilko, but this type of comment really concerns me, and it is written on a daily basis by many different DBR posters. Yes, Coach Krzyzewski has career accomplishments that no other current basketball coach on any level can match. Yes, he is undoubtedly a big draw for recruits. And yes, I am a vocal and enthusiastic supporter of Coach Krzyzewski. However, I think it is Duke University and our basketball program that should be--has to be--a bigger draw than Coach Krzyzewski. If we keep using Coach as the main reason why recruits should choose Duke over other schools then we could be in real trouble when he leaves. And it could be sooner than we think.

I just cringe a little bit every time I hear a recruit mention Coach Krzyzewski as the reason they chose Duke. Coach Krzyzewski is temporary. Duke University is not. I think there is a cult of personality that has developed around Coach that is potentially harmful in the long run to The University as well as its basketball program. To be clear, I'm not blaming Coach Krzyzewski for being so very good at what he does. It's not his fault that he is looked upon as an almost god-like figure. It is our collective fault, though, for perpetuating his mythical status through unquestioning flattery and praise, and we need to stop it.

wilko
10-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Not to pick on wilko, but this type of comment really concerns me, and it is written on a daily basis by many different DBR posters. However, I think it is Duke University and our basketball program that should be--has to be--a bigger draw than Coach Krzyzewski. If we keep using Coach as the main reason why recruits should choose Duke over other schools then we could be in real trouble when he leaves. And it could be sooner than we think.

I just cringe a little bit every time I hear a recruit mention Coach Krzyzewski as the reason they chose Duke. Coach Krzyzewski is temporary. Duke University is not. It is our collective fault, though, for perpetuating his mythical status through unquestioning flattery and praise, and we need to stop it.

I don't feel picked on -
I'll worry about post K once we ARE indeed post K. Not talking about K as much in the time that remains isn't going to ease the pain when hes gone. I'd rather enjoy what we have in the here and now full force with a side helping of rah-rah because I KNOW it not going to last forever!

G man
10-14-2013, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=wilko;668796]Say what now.....?

Not to pick on wilko, but this type of comment really concerns me, and it is written on a daily basis by many different DBR posters. Yes, Coach Krzyzewski has career accomplishments that no other current basketball coach on any level can match. Yes, he is undoubtedly a big draw for recruits. And yes, I am a vocal and enthusiastic supporter of Coach Krzyzewski. However, I think it is Duke University and our basketball program that should be--has to be--a bigger draw than Coach Krzyzewski. If we keep using Coach as the main reason why recruits should choose Duke over other schools then we could be in real trouble when he leaves. And it could be sooner than we think.

I just cringe a little bit every time I hear a recruit mention Coach Krzyzewski as the reason they chose Duke. Coach Krzyzewski is temporary. Duke University is not. I think there is a cult of personality that has developed around Coach that is potentially harmful in the long run to The University as well as its basketball program. To be clear, I'm not blaming Coach Krzyzewski for being so very good at what he does. It's not his fault that he is looked upon as an almost god-like figure. It is our collective fault, though, for perpetuating his mythical status through unquestioning flattery and praise, and we need to stop it.

I understand where you are coming from, but people don't go to Kansas or Kentucky just because of the school they go for a myriad of reasons one of those being the coach. If Dukes facilities were a joke or the fan base sucked it would not matter if K was the greatest or not it would be a tough sell. So like I said I get it, but it's the same other places as well.

Troublemaker
10-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Historically, programs with elite coaches have always struggled when the elite coaches leave. What is the more likely explanation for this? That elite coaching talent is rare, or that the fans venerate the elite coach too much while he is there? I'm thinking the former is correct.

mgtr
10-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Historically, programs with elite coaches have always struggled when the elite coaches leave. What is the more likely explanation for this? That elite coaching talent is rare, or that the fans venerate the elite coach too much while he is there? I'm thinking the former is correct.

I couldn't agree more with this. I dread the day when Duke is without Coach K -- even if we have a Coach K disciple, it won't be the same. Fortunately, I think we still have 4-5 years more of his service.

jimsumner
10-15-2013, 09:20 PM

By definition, isn't elite talent rare?

I've always said that no one should want to be the coach who follows the legend. You want to be the coach who follows the coach who follows the legend.

Kedsy
10-15-2013, 09:33 PM
I've always said that no one should want to be the coach who follows the legend. You want to be the coach who follows the coach who follows the legend.

Didn't work out so well for Matt Doherty.

jipops
10-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Didn't work out so well for Matt Doherty.

Guthridge was a legendary big man coach:)

Henderson
10-15-2013, 10:57 PM

Joe B. Hall followed Adolph Rupp and won a natty against my favorite team. He was the coach who followed the legend. The coach who followed the coach who followed the legend, Eddie Sutton, resigned in disgrace.

But I agree with you that the pressure for the coach who follows the legend is huge. Some manage, some don't.

ricks68
10-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Bucky Waters followed Vic Bubas.

ricks

Tappan Zee Devil
10-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Bucky Waters followed Vic Bubas.

ricks

You had to remind me of those years :(

jimsumner
10-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Gene Bartow replaced John Wooden at UCLA. Bartow went 52-9, with a Final Four and a Sweet Sixteen.

UCLA ran him out of town on a rail. Two years and no national titles? Unacceptable.

ricks68
10-16-2013, 10:18 PM
You had to remind me of those years :(

I was there for that disaster. It was a terrible, sad time-----especially after being there during the last of the Bubas years.:mad:

ricks

Kedsy
10-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Gene Bartow replaced John Wooden at UCLA. Bartow went 52-9, with a Final Four and a Sweet Sixteen.

UCLA ran him out of town on a rail. Two years and no national titles? Unacceptable.

Yeah, but the next guy also left town after two years (and Gary Cunningham went 50-8, and finished #2 in the polls both years).

MCFinARL
10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Um, is there anything new about 2015 recruiting? Just asking....

jimsumner
10-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Um, is there anything new about 2015 recruiting? Just asking....

Nah. Don't expect anything either. It's crunch time for 2014 and it could--note the qualifier--be wrapped up in the next three weeks or so.

The variable is CTC. Non-seniors tend to show up and everyone goes all ga-ga over guys like Quincy Miller and Theo Pinson, who end up elsewhere.

But once Duke gets some clarity regarding the class of 2104, the following class will start to take focus.

MCFinARL
10-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Nah. Don't expect anything either. It's crunch time for 2014 and it could--note the qualifier--be wrapped up in the next three weeks or so.

The variable is CTC. Non-seniors tend to show up and everyone goes all ga-ga over guys like Quincy Miller and Theo Pinson, who end up elsewhere.

But once Duke gets some clarity regarding the class of 2104, the following class will start to take focus.

Thanks--not expecting to be around to worry about the class of 2105 :) but otherwise this is a very helpful explanation.

tommy
11-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Duke has offered the 6'9" 210-215 pound forward out of Las Vegas. Generally considered a 4-star, top 20-ish guy at this point. He also has offers already from UNC, Kansas, Arizona, and a few others if I'm not mistaken.

Henderson
11-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Jeter would be a good get. Big, talented, and smart. 3.5 GPA. Plays on the same HS team as Stephen Zimmerman.

Henderson
11-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Some twitter follower asked Paul Giancardi whom Duke might sign for 2015. His response: Stephen Zimmerman. Adam Rowe retweeted it with this: "Na Ga Happen."

More on Jeter: His father, Chris Jeter, was on the 1990 and 1991 Final Four teams playing for UNLV. He DNP against Duke in the semis in 1991 and was mostly a bench player behind Larry Johnson. But he did well academically at UNLV and became a Las Vegas police officer (still is one). Chris Jeter's father (according to reports) is the biological father of Derek Jeter, though he (again, according to reports) has had no contact with him in years. Tark recruited him out of a nasty environment in San Diego and, according to Chris Jeter, probably saved his life.

Chris Jeter married Chase's mother, who is from Minnesota and currently a 4th grade teacher in Las Vegas. Chris Jeter has made public comments that he'd like to see Chase play at UNLV, though he says it's his son's decision. UNLV is hitting on both Zimmerman and Jeter hard. UNLV's current head coach played with Chris Jeter at UNLV.

BD80
11-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Some twitter follower asked Paul Giancardi whom Duke might sign for 2015. His response: Stephen Zimmerman. Adam Rowe retweeted it with this: "Na Ga Happen."

More on Jeter: His father, Chris Jeter, was on the 1990 and 1991 Final Four teams playing for UNLV. He DNP against Duke in the semis in 1991 and was mostly a bench player behind Larry Johnson. But he did well academically at UNLV and became a Las Vegas police officer (still is one). Chris Jeter's father (according to reports) is the biological father of Derek Jeter, though he (again, according to reports) has had no contact with him in years. Tark recruited him out of a nasty environment in San Diego and, according to Chris Jeter, probably saved his life.

Chris Jeter married Chase's mother, who is from Minnesota and currently a 4th grade teacher in Las Vegas. Chris Jeter has made public comments that he'd like to see Chase play at UNLV, though he says it's his son's decision. UNLV is hitting on both Zimmerman and Jeter hard. UNLV's current head coach played with Chris Jeter at UNLV.

So Derek is Chase's uncle, albeit estranged. This would raise the possibility of reconciliation, and then appearances by Derek and his girlfriend du jour behind the Duke bench at big games. Would draw the cameras a bit.

But by time Chase plays for us, potential recruits might say "Derek who?"

Henderson
11-12-2013, 03:28 PM
So Derek is Chase's uncle, albeit estranged. This would raise the possibility of reconciliation, and then appearances by Derek and his girlfriend du jour behind the Duke bench at big games. Would draw the cameras a bit.

Beyonce breathing down the neck of Coach K cheering wildly for Duke? That'd be fun. For him and for us.

Indoor66
11-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Beyonce breathing down the neck of Coach K cheering wildly for Duke? That'd be fun. For him and for us.Maybe she could bring Jewel with her.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmqr2y3TQxQ)

roywhite
11-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Maybe she could bring Jewel with her.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmqr2y3TQxQ)

And did you know that it is Jewel's family on Alaska the Last Frontier (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaska-the-last-frontier/videos/alaska-the-last-frontier-meet-the-kilcher-family.htm), the Discovery TV show?

Now, how to bring this back to recruiting....surely, it's time to look at another player from Alaska?
Carlos and Trajan worked out pretty well; Coach K owned Alaska.

gam7
11-12-2013, 07:35 PM
And did you know that it is Jewel's family on Alaska the Last Frontier (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaska-the-last-frontier/videos/alaska-the-last-frontier-meet-the-kilcher-family.htm), the Discovery TV show?

Now, how to bring this back to recruiting....surely, it's time to look at another player from Alaska?
Carlos and Trajan worked out pretty well; Coach K owned Alaska.

Latest big-time player from Alaska (that I know of) is Mario Chalmers from Anchorage. The next one could shape up to be another Duke-Kansas showdown.

tommy
12-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Adam Zagoria has a story up here (http://zagsblog.com/duke/duke-now-recruiting-gill-caesar-bryant/) that Duke is recruiting two kids out of Huntington Prep. One is a kid who already has a lot of offers named Montaque Gill-Caesar (that's a mouthful), a 6'6" wing out of Canada. Athletic, jumpy kid. I've read elsewhere that he wants to go to Kentucky, though he doesn't yet have an offer from them. The other is a 6'10" (and growing) kid named Thomas Bryant who transferred to Huntington from his hometown of Rochester, NY. Syracuse is supposed to be in pretty good with him, but who really knows at this point. Other little tidbit is that Gill-Caesar is considering reclassifying to 2014. Hard to believe he'd be interested in Duke if that's the case given our talent at the wing and our scholarship situation (though there's one more available now with Murphy leaving) but still.

MartyClark
12-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Adam Zagoria has a story up here (http://zagsblog.com/duke/duke-now-recruiting-gill-caesar-bryant/) that Duke is recruiting two kids out of Huntington Prep. One is a kid who already has a lot of offers named Montaque Gill-Caesar (that's a mouthful), a 6'6" wing out of Canada. Athletic, jumpy kid. I've read elsewhere that he wants to go to Kentucky, though he doesn't yet have an offer from them. The other is a 6'10" (and growing) kid named Thomas Bryant who transferred to Huntington from his hometown of Rochester, NY. Syracuse is supposed to be in pretty good with him, but who really knows at this point. Other little tidbit is that Gill-Caesar is considering reclassifying to 2014. Hard to believe he'd be interested in Duke if that's the case given our talent at the wing and our scholarship situation (though there's one more available now with Murphy leaving) but still.

Leaping ahead to the class of 2016, probably too early for a separate thread, there is a kid from Colorado named De'Ron Davis who is ranked as the #2 center. I haven't seen him play yet but will. According to scout.com, Wake Forest is the only ACC school interested in him at this point. Colorado (Go Buffs), Arizona, Kansas etc. are interested in him.

I don't know a thing about his academics but I'm curious whether he is on Duke's radar.

Troublemaker
12-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Looks like Coach K and Coach Capel were in Wisconsin yesterday to see Diamond Stone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W_SYjj72Ao

pfrduke
12-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Looks like Coach K and Coach Capel were in Wisconsin yesterday to see Diamond Stone

Were they playing a midget basketball team? It looked like Stone might have gotten any rebound he wanted simply by standing near the hoop and sticking his hands straight up.

lotusland
12-08-2013, 04:57 AM
Were they playing a midget basketball team? It looked like Stone might have gotten any rebound he wanted simply by standing near the hoop and sticking his hands straight up.

that video looks like an SNL skit if Lebron was hosting

slower
12-08-2013, 08:05 AM
that video looks like an SNL skit if Lebron was hosting

No basketball skit will ever surpass Charles Barkley vs. Barney.

timmy c
12-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Did anyone else notice that the opponent uniform changes. Looks like they spliced two games together to create a highlight reel.

Troublemaker
12-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Good catch! Did some digging on twitter, and it was the light-blue team (St. Thomas More High School) with chunky #34 and #23 that was the real opponent when Coach K was there. The dark blue team was spliced in.

https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/409132675484508160

tbyers11
12-08-2013, 10:13 AM
I grew up in Madison and can say that most of his schedule at Whitefish Bay Dominican is not going to provide much of a challenge for Stone. It's a good school in a suburban Milwaukee religious school conference but there aren't nearly the quality of players as in the Milwaukee public school conference on the whole. However, his team did play Milwaukee Hamilton (with Kevon Looney) and won 58-52 last night. Stone had 19 and 10 with 7 blocks while Looney had 26.

MartyClark
12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Today's Chicago Sun Times said that Coaches K and Capel were in Chicago watching a high school tournament. (Okafor's team lost to a team from California). I wonder who they were looking at for future classes.

Apparently K stopped by Northwestern and talked to their team after the game.

tommy
12-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Today's Chicago Sun Times said that Coaches K and Capel were in Chicago watching a high school tournament. (Okafor's team lost to a team from California). I wonder who they were looking at for future classes.

Apparently K stopped by Northwestern and talked to their team after the game.

Tyler Dorsey.

wtm001
12-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Looks like Coach K and Coach Capel were in Wisconsin yesterday to see Diamond Stone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W_SYjj72Ao

this video reminds me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64neDXrcCAs

kAzE
12-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Boy, with all the talk of Jewel and Beyonce in this thread, you could have told me Diamond Stone was anything between a country singer and a porn star, and I wouldn't have questioned it. Some kids with strange names nowadays . . .

-bdbd
12-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Interesting from the Stone video that K and Capel are wearing denmure gray sweaters - no Duke stuff, which they'd frequently wear while watching recruir games earlier in K's Duke career - and are quiety minding own business off in the corner. Of course EVERYONE was certainly aware of their presence...

From the small size of the gym, Stone obviously is at a small school, and you have to wonder about the quality of his competition (and, hence, the validity of his stats). That said, he's obviously a top-flight recruit, and you have to like his ability (and willingness) to pass, as well as shoot from beyond 10 feet. :D Sure hope that we get him!

gam7
12-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Interesting from the Stone video that K and Capel are wearing denmure gray sweaters - no Duke stuff, which they'd frequently wear while watching recruir games earlier in K's Duke career - and are quiety minding own business off in the corner. Of course EVERYONE was certainly aware of their presence...

From the small size of the gym, Stone obviously is at a small school, and you have to wonder about the quality of his competition (and, hence, the validity of his stats). That said, he's obviously a top-flight recruit, and you have to like his ability (and willingness) to pass, as well as shoot from beyond 10 feet. :D Sure hope that we get him!

He also started and was second in scoring (to stud Malik Newman) on the U16 USA team that absolutely dominated its tournament last summer, so for Diamond, the small school stats factor is a bit less of a concern I think. Plenty of experience playing with top flight players. Wouldn't mind continuing to see K and Capel romancing the Stone.

Also, kind of funny - according to his profile page on the team USA site (http://www.usab.com/bios/stone_diamond.html), his mom's last name is Oliver-Stone.

Troublemaker
12-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Article from a week ago updating Ryan's recruitment: http://www.lohud.com/article/20131202/SPORTS/312020038/

Still not sure the coaches consider him a high priority, but they are keeping in touch with him. Let's see if he gets a scholarship offer this winter.

Relevant Excerpts:

Through six months of text message flurries and incoming calls, Matt Ryan established one rule: No contact during dinner. Sure, his phone is often within a gravy splash of the mashed potatoes, but the Iona Prep junior tries not to check it at the table.

Of course, there was that one time last month. Ryan simply couldn’t help himself. He heard the alert, looked down and saw a strange number with that familiar 919 North Carolina area code.

“I had to check it,” said the 6-foot-7 sharpshooter from Cortlandt Manor. “It said, ‘Can I call you tonight? Coach K.’ ”

Later that night, Ryan did, indeed, talk to Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who had already dispatched assistant Steve Wojciechowski to Iona Prep for a workout. In fact, 28 mid- to high-major Division I programs have already offered Ryan scholarships. And the likes of Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky are among the Top 10 programs showing strong interest of late. (Members of the Duke coaching staff are scheduled to watch him Saturday afternoon during a game at Xaverian.)

The calls and texts might be overwhelming for a 16-year old, but he knows he’s a long way from playing at Cameron Indoor or Rupp Arena.

“I’m just taking it in stride right now,” Ryan said. “These high majors haven’t offered me scholarships yet. They’re obviously showing a tremendous amount of interest because they don’t recruit everybody; everybody wants to go there.

“I’m just being patient, seeing who’s calling me every week, who’s texting me every week — who’s recruiting me the hardest, basically.”

Troublemaker
12-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Watzone tweeted this yesterday:

Mark Watson ‏@BlueDevilNation 23h

But make no mistake ... the top priority for #Duke is Diamond Stone.

So, if Stone doesn't have a scholarship offer yet, he should have one soon.

Found an interview with Stone here: http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/133593?referrer_id=388419-gopherhole-com-news-archive

No need to read. Only relevant excerpt is the following:

Gopher Hole: Did you have a favorite team growing up?

Diamond Stone: I always liked Duke. Duke and North Carolina. I liked those two.

Hmmm, young man has a few things to learn, but this is shaping up to be a big Duke - UNC battle on the recruiting trail.

BD80
12-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Watzone tweeted this yesterday:

Mark Watson ‏@BlueDevilNation 23h

But make no mistake ... the top priority for #Duke is Diamond Stone. ...

... this is shaping up to be a big Duke - UNC battle on the recruiting trail.

Is ol' roy really go to risk bringing in a Stone[r] after his recent experiences with PJ and Graves?

Farn
12-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Looks like Coach K and Wojo are in Franklin, Ohio tonight to scout Luke Kennard

Farn
12-20-2013, 10:29 PM

Calipari was there too.

Kennard scored 41 in the blowout win.

Troublemaker
12-21-2013, 04:51 PM

Short local TV news story on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIV_vMFXa1A

A couple glimpses of Coach K and Calipari

-bdbd
12-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Short local TV news story on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIV_vMFXa1A

A couple glimpses of Coach K and Calipari

Geez. Calipari gets first-mention over K, and is referenced again for "Good hands from Coach Cal..." in catching an errant pass. Good grief.

:confused:

JPtheGame
12-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Geez. Calipari gets first-mention over K, and is referenced again for "Good hands from Coach Cal..." in catching an errant pass. Good grief.

:confused:

I grew up in Southern Ohio and have a few informal connections to the Kennard family (as does everyone who lives in Franklin because it is a tiny community). Two things to know 1. Everyone from Dayton to the Ohio river in southern Ohio is obsessed with UK basketball. 2. Luke's family is no exception.

Troublemaker
12-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Quick update on 2015 recruiting for those that don't follow recruiting.

Based on whom Coach K has been personally visiting during final exam week and also the now just-finished Christmas break, Duke's top 3 priorities in this class appear to be:

1. - PG/SG Luke Kennard
1A. - C Diamond Stone
2. - C Chase Jeter

Re: Kennard, he's expected to be a Spring 2014 decision, whereas the big men are expected to be Fall 2014 or perhaps even Spring 2015 decisions.

So there's urgency with Kennard, who could be the first domino to fall in this class for Duke. We are in a heated recruiting battle with Kentucky for him. As JPtheGame mentioned above, Luke grew up all around Kentucky fans. This would be a major win to be able to pluck Kennard from that region and keep him out of the clutches of Calipari, who desperately wants a great 3-4 year player to provide ballast to his program.

Stone is the #1 priority big man, being looked at as the replacement for Jahlil. He's not as good as Jahlil but is good enough to be considered a 1-2 year player.

With Chase Jeter, I think Duke is trying for the "lottery win" scenario in which we sign both the 1-2 year center in Stone AND the 3-4 year center in Jeter. Would love to have Chase even if he comes by himself.

AAA1980
12-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Based on whom Coach K has been personally visiting during final exam week and also the now just-finished Christmas break, Duke's top 3 priorities in this class appear to be:

1. - PG/SG Luke Kennard
1A. - C Diamond Stone
2. - C Chase Jeter

Re: Kennard, he's expected to be a Spring 2014 decision, whereas the big men are expected to be Fall 2014 or perhaps even Spring 2015 decisions.

So there's urgency with Kennard, who could be the first domino to fall in this class for Duke. We are in a heated recruiting battle with Kentucky for him. As JPtheGame mentioned above, Luke grew up all around Kentucky fans. This would be a major win to be able to pluck Kennard from that region and keep him out of the clutches of Calipari, who desperately wants a great 3-4 year player to provide ballast to his program.

Stone is the #1 priority big man, being looked at as the replacement for Jahlil. He's not as good as Jahlil but is good enough to be considered a 1-2 year player.

With Chase Jeter, I think Duke is trying for the "lottery win" scenario in which we sign both the 1-2 year center in Stone AND the 3-4 year center in Jeter. Would love to have Chase even if he comes by himself.

Id put Tyler Dorsey in the top 3..Most people think were in a pretty good spot with him where UK is supposenly in a pretty good lead for Kennard..

Class is loaded with big men from Stone and Jeter to that Greek kid whos supposenly as good as any of the bigs that we hopefully start recruiting..

tommy
12-29-2013, 02:55 AM

1. - PG/SG Luke Kennard
1A. - C Diamond Stone
2. - C Chase Jeter

Brandon Ingram, a 6'8" wing out of Kinston, has become a major focus as well. He's probably the best junior in North Carolina.

And Matt Ryan, the 6'5" sharpshooter out of Westchester County in New York continues to draw the staff's attention.

tommy
01-02-2014, 11:23 PM
If you want to watch Chase Jeter play, he and teammate Stephen Zimmerman -- being recruited by everybody except Duke -- and Bishop Gorman are on Friday night at 7 PM EST on ESPNU. Their opponent features fast rising Carlton Bragg out of Cleveland. I was hoping Duke was going to recruit Bragg, but doesn't look like it's happening. He's garnered a long list of high major offers in the last couple of months. He plays an awful lot like Amile, at least in the several times I've seen him play, with the same body.

I know this is the 2015 thread, but Jahlil Okafor and Whitney Young are on on Saturday night at 7 against SMU-bound Emanuel Mudiay, on ESPN2. Mudiay and Tyus Jones, though they have very different styles and body types, are generally considered 1 and 1A among 2014 point guards.

Clay Feet POF
01-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks Tommy always gratefull for your updata info.

AAA1980
01-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Hopefully we get invovled with this guy

http://zagsblog.com/articles/7-footer-georgios-papagiannis-being-touted-as-lottery-pick/

Id be happy with either him or Stone for a big man and add in Jeter as more a 3 or 4 year big

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Looks like Duke is interested in two more guys:

http://zagsblog.com/duke/duke-now-recruiting-gill-caesar-bryant/

Montaque “Teki” Gill-Caesar (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/168653/montaque-gill-ceasar)
Thomas Bryant (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/160060/thomas-bryant)

GGLC
01-03-2014, 02:23 PM

http://zagsblog.com/articles/7-footer-georgios-papagiannis-being-touted-as-lottery-pick/

Id be happy with either him or Stone for a big man and add in Jeter as more a 3 or 4 year big

I didn't find that video super-impressive, tbh. (And not just because he missed a bunny in it.)

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 02:34 PM
I didn't find that video super-impressive, tbh. (And not just because he missed a bunny in it.)

Yea, that, and averaging 15 points and 9 boards at 7'1", 240 in HS? Not really that impressive.

He's big and runs well, but after that? Eh.

What he needs is a solid big man coach. I hear Duke has some of the best out there. :D

NSDukeFan
01-03-2014, 02:50 PM

It's a good thing those yellow arrows were in that video, as otherwise I would never have been able to pick out the player who was a foot taller than the others, a different race and the feature of each of the highlights.

tommy
01-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Looks like Duke is interested in two more guys:

http://zagsblog.com/duke/duke-now-recruiting-gill-caesar-bryant/

Montaque “Teki” Gill-Caesar (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/168653/montaque-gill-ceasar)
Thomas Bryant (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/160060/thomas-bryant)

Hey! I posted that in this thread a month ago. We're even, Ferry!! :)

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Hey! I posted that in this thread a month ago. We're even, Ferry!! :)

I did it on purpose!

(Ok, maybe not.)

Troublemaker
01-03-2014, 07:32 PM
This class has ten or so top-15 quality big men, and so it'll be easy for fans to really like the game of one or more big men that Duke doesn't end up recruiting.

My personal favorite in this class is Ivan Rabb, who I think is just the best player in the class, period, with his ambidexterity and fluid post moves and athleticism. I hope that Rabb and Duke will have mutual interest and we end up recruiting him hard, but there could be so many reasons why it doesn't play out that way.

In the end, Duke will do (or already has done) the legwork on all these big men --including basketball, academic, and personal aspects-- and will identify (or has identified) a very limited number to put our laser focus on, as usual. Those we focus on will be the guys who can be successful at Duke -- both the university and the basketball program-- and whom the coaches feel Duke has a decent chance of landing.

ricks68
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
This class has ten or so top-15 quality big men, and so it'll be easy for fans to really like the game of one or more big men that Duke doesn't end up recruiting.

My personal favorite in this class is Ivan Rabb, who I think is just the best player in the class, period, with his ambidexterity and fluid post moves and athleticism. I hope that Rabb and Duke will have mutual interest and we end up recruiting him hard, but there could be so many reasons why it doesn't play out that way.

In the end, Duke will do (or already has done) the legwork on all these big men --including basketball, academic, and personal aspects-- and will identify (or has identified) a very limited number to put our laser focus on, as usual. Those we focus on will be the guys who can be successful at Duke -- both the university and the basketball program-- and whom the coaches feel Duke has a decent chance of landing.

I don't know if this kind of common sense has a place on this board, let alone this thread. The mods may have to intercede. If this becomes a habit, the amount of posts would not be able to support the site, and DBR may come to an end. Mods, stop this before it spreads!!!:rolleyes:

ricks

JasonEvans
01-03-2014, 10:43 PM

My personal favorite in this class is Ivan R...

I'm sorry but every time I see someone mention a recruit named Ivan, I think of the greatest recruit who never was, Ivan Renko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Renko).

-Jason "the old HoopScoop with Clark 'In The Dark' Francis ranked Renko in the top 20 or something like that - ha!" Evans

BD80
01-04-2014, 08:25 PM

My personal favorite in this class is Ivan Rabb, who I think is just the best player in the class, period, with his ambidexterity ...

Big deal, the dude can breathe underwater; how does that help on the court?

jipops
01-04-2014, 10:12 PM
I'm sorry but every time I see someone mention a recruit named Ivan, I think of the greatest recruit who never was, Ivan Renko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Renko).

-Jason "the old HoopScoop with Clark 'In The Dark' Francis ranked Renko in the top 20 or something like that - ha!" Evans

That was awesome!

ricks68
01-04-2014, 11:54 PM

Fantastic line for those of us who know what you are referring to.

ricks

-bdbd
01-06-2014, 01:08 AM

Who WAS the UNC player who (seriously) made that mistake?
"I'm amphibious - I can dribble with BOTH hands!"
HA!

FerryFor50
01-06-2014, 01:37 AM
Who WAS the UNC player who (seriously) made that mistake?
"I'm amphibious - I can dribble with BOTH hands!"
HA!

Was actually an NCSU player. Charles Shackleford...

tommy
01-06-2014, 02:21 AM

I wonder what the 247 Chrystal Ball would have had to say about where Renko was going to go.

tommy
01-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Duke will receive one of elite 2015 lead guard Tyler Dorsey's five official visits this spring. This is a very good thing.

Ichabod Drain
01-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Duke will receive one of elite 2015 lead guard Tyler Dorsey's five official visits this spring. This is a very good thing.

Interesting factoid, Dorsey is older than Tyus Jones.

Ichabod Drain
01-10-2014, 08:36 AM
2015 SF prospect Brandon Ingram tweeted last night that he will take an unofficial visit to Duke on Jan 13th, the UVA game. He's 13th overall on ESPN and the highest rated player coming out of North Carolina.

FerryFor50
01-10-2014, 09:03 AM
2015 SF prospect Brandon Ingram tweeted last night that he will take an unofficial visit to Duke on Jan 13th, the UVA game. He's 13th overall on ESPN and the highest rated player coming out of North Carolina.

He grew up a Duke fan, apparently, too. And UNC us after him (already offered), so playing keep away would be kinda fun, especially since UNC has owned recruiting out of Kinston lately...

Indoor66
01-10-2014, 10:02 AM
He grew up a Duke fan, apparently, too. And UNC us after him (already offered), so playing keep away would be kinda fun, especially since UNC has owned recruiting out of Kinston lately...

At least as far back as Jerry Stackhouse....

FerryFor50
01-10-2014, 10:04 AM
At least as far back as Jerry Stackhouse....

And Reggie Bullock.

mr. synellinden
01-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Not any more. Dorsey has committed to Arizona (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10277862/arizona-wildcats-land-tyler-dorsey-class-2015-no-7).

Sean Miller and Arizona are recruiting very impressively - particularly on the west coast.

Bay Area Duke Fan
01-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Not any more. Dorsey has committed to Arizona (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10277862/arizona-wildcats-land-tyler-dorsey-class-2015-no-7).

Sean Miller and Arizona are recruiting very impressively - particularly on the west coast.

Also winning very impressively this year. Miller has rebuilt a powerful program, comparable to what Luke Olson did there previously. Should be Final Four contenders for years to come.

superdave
01-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Anyone else having trouble viewing the rankings on RSCI? I was going to check out Sean Miller's recent run, but cannot view the site's rankings in either Explorer or Chrome.

tommy
01-11-2014, 12:44 PM

I heard about this at about 11 PM last night and couldn't believe it. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Dorsey told the Duke staff earlier this week that he would be making an official to Duke this spring. The people who are the very closest to Dorsey were stunned by his decision to completely reverse course and just get the whole thing over with right now. Seems like it was a pretty rash decision. Kids. What are you gonna do?

superdave
01-11-2014, 12:52 PM
I heard about this at about 11 PM last night and couldn't believe it. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Dorsey told the Duke staff earlier this week that he would be making an official to Duke this spring. The people who are the very closest to Dorsey were stunned by his decision to completely reverse course and just get the whole thing over with right now. Seems like it was a pretty rash decision. Kids. What are you gonna do?

Was Zona recruiting another, similar player?

Duke also has Grayson Allen coming in, so there's some overlap.

Ichabod Drain
01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Was Zona recruiting another, similar player?

Duke also has Grayson Allen coming in, so there's some overlap.

I'm not 100% sure but i believe Duke was recruiting Dorsey with the idea he might possibly run the point. He's definitely a combo guard.

bbosbbos
01-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Is it very unusual that top 10 recruit commits so early? Zona will be really good in the next few years.

tommy
01-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Is it very unusual that top 10 recruit commits so early? Zona will be really good in the next few years.

A bit unusual but not unheard of. Sometimes these early commitments are more prone to change their minds before it's all said and done, but who knows?

Miller is just a really impressive coach, considering what he's doing on the floor, how the kids improve in that program under him, and how good he is on the recruiting trail. He's 5-star all the way right now.

As for the comment from another poster about Grayson Allen, Allen is Class of 2014, Dorsey is 2015.

El_Diablo
01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
As for the comment from another poster about Grayson Allen, Allen is Class of 2014, Dorsey is 2015.

Presumably not a one-and-done though (so there's still an overlap).

TexHawk
01-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Miller is just a really impressive coach, considering what he's doing on the floor, how the kids improve in that program under him, and how good he is on the recruiting trail. He's 5-star all the way right now.

Maybe... the fact is, this is Miller's 5th year at Arizona, and he's missed the tournament twice. I know it's easy to lose sight of that, especially when one of his good teams beat you guys in the tournament (sorry to bring that up!), but so far his on-court results are a bit inconsistent imo.

Also, he similarly won a big recruiting battle for Josiah Turner two years ago, which was, at the time, something that internet watchers freaked out over. I very clearly remember a lot of the same stuff being written about Miller, and how he was bringing Arizona back. Well, that recruitment didn't work out. Turner left the program, is now in the D league, and Arizona lost in the first round of the NIT.

tommy
01-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Maybe... the fact is, this is Miller's 5th year at Arizona, and he's missed the tournament twice. I know it's easy to lose sight of that, especially when one of his good teams beat you guys in the tournament (sorry to bring that up!), but so far his on-court results are a bit inconsistent imo.

Also, he similarly won a big recruiting battle for Josiah Turner two years ago, which was, at the time, something that internet watchers freaked out over. I very clearly remember a lot of the same stuff being written about Miller, and how he was bringing Arizona back. Well, that recruitment didn't work out. Turner left the program, is now in the D league, and Arizona lost in the first round of the NIT.

Well, yes, he missed the tournament his first year with a team he didn't recruit. Then in 2011 they went on the run in the tournament that included the big upset of Duke, and got to the Elite 8. The following year, you're right, they missed the tournament with frankly a pretty bad roster. I don't know what happened to cause their roster to have basically no big guys at all on it who could play, but that team just wasn't very good. Then last year they got back to the Sweet 16 and now they've got a loaded team and they're #1 in the nation.

Not only that, but they have the best player on the west coast in the Class of 2014 in Stanley Johnson, locked up. IMO, Johnson will be, if not the best player out of this class when it's all said and done, he'll be in the top 3. He dominates from the wing. And now Miller's already got the best guard in the west in the Class of 2015, at least with a verbal commit. Miller has established strong ties with the major AAU coaches on the west coast and the coaches of the top high school programs as well.

I've also seen Miller in the gym, teaching at camps in the summer time. He is excellent. He knows his basketball and is an excellent communicator. The kids just respond to him, you can just feel it. I have heard from people I trust who have seen him at coaching clinics that he stands out in that setting as well.

So yes, you're right, he and the program had a bad year in 2011-12, but I have no doubt that he is one of the very best coaches in the nation, and Arizona's future with him is extremely bright.

Indoor66
01-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Well, yes, he missed the tournament his first year with a team he didn't recruit. Then in 2011 they went on the run in the tournament that included the big upset of Duke, and got to the Elite 8. The following year, you're right, they missed the tournament with frankly a pretty bad roster. I don't know what happened to cause their roster to have basically no big guys at all on it who could play, but that team just wasn't very good. Then last year they got back to the Sweet 16 and now they've got a loaded team and they're #1 in the nation.

Not only that, but they have the best player on the west coast in the Class of 2014 in Stanley Johnson, locked up. IMO, Johnson will be, if not the best player out of this class when it's all said and done, he'll be in the top 3. He dominates from the wing. And now Miller's already got the best guard in the west in the Class of 2015, at least with a verbal commit. Miller has established strong ties with the major AAU coaches on the west coast and the coaches of the top high school programs as well.

I've also seen Miller in the gym, teaching at camps in the summer time. He is excellent. He knows his basketball and is an excellent communicator. The kids just respond to him, you can just feel it. I have heard from people I trust who have seen him at coaching clinics that he stands out in that setting as well.

So yes, you're right, he and the program had a bad year in 2011-12, but I have no doubt that he is one of the very best coaches in the nation, and Arizona's future with him is extremely bright.

Let us give time time before we annoint him. He is doing a great job so far. He has built. Now the tough part: sustain.

ScreechTDX1847
01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
I have information from close to Chase's family that they will be giving Wojo a call and requesting an official visit in the next couple of days. They are hoping to make it the UNC/Duke game.

Henderson
01-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Let us give time time before we annoint him. He is doing a great job so far. He has built. Now the tough part: sustain.

Excellent perspective. Every long trip begins with a first step.

Sometimes that first step results in an outstanding long trip. Sometimes not. People explode. Sometimes unsuccessful first few steps result in greatness. People blossom. I can think of an example that began 3/18/80.

It's hard to say what a great (or not so great) start means over the long term, but it's hard to deny that early success is better than early struggles.

Ichabod Drain
01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I have information from close to Chase's family that they will be giving Wojo a call and requesting an official visit in the next couple of days. They are hoping to make it the UNC/Duke game.

This is good news. I really like Jeter's game and we'll need a couple big men to commit in 2015.

weezie
01-14-2014, 08:46 PM

Hoochie-wow, that's a long time away from now.....hope they come sooner than that!

Dukehky
01-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Hoochie-wow, that's a long time away from now.....hope they come sooner than that!

I bet Myles Turner commits after the Duke/UNC game so that he gets to come to it. Like Bazz did.

ScreechTDX1847
01-14-2014, 11:43 PM
This is good news. I really like Jeter's game and we'll need a couple big men to commit in 2015.

Confirmed that Chase will be taking an official for the UNC/Duke game.

roywhite
01-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Confirmed that Chase will be taking an official for the UNC/Duke game.

Possibly an early decision for Chase?

Saw the other day that Guard Luke Kennard from Ohio is down to 5/6 schools (including Duke, UNC, and KY), wants to arrange visits, and perhaps make a decision by late Spring.

I'm guessing the Duke staff would love to get an early jump on the 2015 class -- the 2014 recruiting class looks terrific, but it was a long, hard process to get the commits.

flyingdutchdevil
01-16-2014, 09:24 AM
I bet Myles Turner commits after the Duke/UNC game so that he gets to come to it. Like Bazz did.

If so, Turner is a smart, smart kid. If you're not going to Duke or UNC, why not take the opportunity to go to the game for free?

FerryFor50
01-16-2014, 10:02 AM
If so, Turner is a smart, smart kid. If you're not going to Duke or UNC, why not take the opportunity to go to the game for free?

Also, I wouldn't put him in the same sentence as Bazz. Bazz is a whole different clazz.

ScreechTDX1847
01-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Saw the other day that Guard Luke Kennard from Ohio is down to 5/6 schools (including Duke, UNC, and KY), wants to arrange visits, and perhaps make a decision by late Spring.

I'm guessing the Duke staff would love to get an early jump on the 2015 class -- the 2014 recruiting class looks terrific, but it was a long, hard process to get the commits.

Arizona was on Chase really early and hasn't let up. I believe his father went to UNLV and is pushing him in that direction but his mother is really the "force" in his life and isn't pushing him anywhere. From what I have been told, his mother had indicated that currently Chase is leaning towards Duke but obviously a lot can change and its too early for that to mean much.

BD80
01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
... his mother is really the "force" in his life and isn't pushing him anywhere. From what I have been told, his mother had indicated that currently Chase is leaning towards Duke but obviously a lot can change and its too early for that to mean much.

I hope Chase doesn't pay attention to Old Spice commercials

Troublemaker
01-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Arizona was on Chase really early and hasn't let up. I believe his father went to UNLV and is pushing him in that direction but his mother is really the "force" in his life and isn't pushing him anywhere. From what I have been told, his mother had indicated that currently Chase is leaning towards Duke but obviously a lot can change and its too early for that to mean much.

Thanks for the Jeter updates, Screech. It would be really nice to get Chase even though I believe we are also going to pursue one or two top 10 big men as well. If the "only" big man we get from this class is Chase, it would still be a great result. Chase would be the 3rd highest-ranked center we've gotten in the past dozen years if we can get him, behind Jahlil and Mason, and just edging out Zoubek.

Indoor66
01-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Arizona always chases players named Chase.

tommy
01-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Smooth shooting Matt Ryan out of Westchester County, NY, who Duke has been recruiting pretty heavily, likely has a torn labrum and if so, will miss the rest of his junior season. Tough break for the kid.

Henderson
01-18-2014, 10:42 AM

The highlighted info is correct, though I don't know how much "pushing" there is. Chris Jeter (Chase's dad) has publicly said he hopes Chase will follow in his footsteps and go to UNLV, but that it's up to Chase. Chris Jeter did very well academically at UNLV and is a longtime Vegas police officer. He and Chase's mother are divorced, and Chase lives with his mom, but both Mom and Dad live in Las Vegas and Chase and his father are not estranged. His father is very supportive of his career, both academically and athletically.

Chris Jeter was kind of rescued from the mean streets of Southeast San Diego by Tark -- one of the success stories for Tark in that regard. Chris played behind Larry Johnson and didn't play that much, but he hit the books well. He was on both the 1990 and 1991 Final Four teams that played against Duke.

Interesting factoid: Chase Jeter's father Chris is the half-brother of Derek Jeter. Same father, different mothers.

Good article from last summer here: http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/gorman-big-man-ignores-pressure-follow-dads-path-unlv

Troublemaker
01-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the update, Henderson. Chase seems like a Duke kid to me. I wonder if the half-brother Jeters stay in touch.

tommy
01-23-2014, 12:42 PM

No. Unless something major changes, Jeter won't be deciding until the fall.

Duvall
01-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Interesting factoid: Chase Jeter's father Chris is the half-brother of Derek Jeter. Same father, different mothers.

Good article from last summer here: http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/gorman-big-man-ignores-pressure-follow-dads-path-unlv

Well if Chase comes to Duke, nobody tell Vitale about this.

Merlindevildog91
01-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Well if Chase comes to Duke, nobody tell Vitale about this.

I'm sure that would be the 2015 Duke drinking game, Chase Jeter is Derek's nephew (or something similar).

Dev11
01-23-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm sure that would be the 2015 Duke drinking game, Chase Jeter is Derek's nephew (or something similar).

"Hey Dan, the Devils got Chase Jeter, you know who his uncle is Dan??? Number 2, the shortstop, Derek Jeter, number 2!!! Ha ha ha!! Hey, I've seen him play a few games down at the Trop. Dan, you get to see games at the Trop, right? Sunday Night Baseball! Orel Hersheiser! Hey, Derek Jeter, in the house!"

Clay Feet POF
01-23-2014, 01:58 PM
"Hey Dan, the Devils got Chase Jeter, you know who his uncle is Dan??? Number 2, the shortstop, Derek Jeter, number 2!!! Ha ha ha!! Hey, I've seen him play a few games down at the Trop. Dan, you get to see games at the Trop, right? Sunday Night Baseball! Orel Hersheiser! Hey, Derek Jeter, in the house!"

I like it. You could be on the 2nd unit when he gets tired.

superdave
01-23-2014, 02:31 PM

If I were V's partner, I'd keep awkwardly bringing up A-Rod until things get back on track.

Super "Are you kidding me!?" Dave

tommy
01-23-2014, 04:34 PM
I have a good source telling me that nobody should be surprised if Tyler Dorsey re-opens his recruitment. Not that it's a certainty, but it is not unlikely.

Kedsy
01-23-2014, 04:41 PM
I have a good source telling me that nobody should be surprised if Tyler Dorsey re-opens his recruitment. Not that it's a certainty, but it is not unlikely.

Why? Did something happen with Arizona?

tommy
01-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Why? Did something happen with Arizona?

Not at liberty to say, to be honest, but no, nothing to do with Arizona.

Kedsy
01-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Thanks. Didn't mean to pry or compromise your source or anything.

flyingdutchdevil
01-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Tommy - can I ask about your involvement with Duke basketball? Are you just a fan who has inside sources, or are you hired somewhere in the basketball community?

Just curious.

Thanks

superdave
01-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Dorsey himself tweeted news of his committment: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10277862/arizona-wildcats-land-tyler-dorsey-class-2015-no-7

Doing a quick twitter search on Dorsey turned this up -

Retweeted by Adam Zagoria
Frank Burlison ‏@FrankieBur Jan 18
Jr. guard Tyler Dorsey (Arizona commit) didn't make trip for SJB for "academic reason" according to father. #HHClassic

tommy
01-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Dorsey himself tweeted news of his committment: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10277862/arizona-wildcats-land-tyler-dorsey-class-2015-no-7

Doing a quick twitter search on Dorsey turned this up -

Retweeted by Adam Zagoria
Frank Burlison ‏@FrankieBur Jan 18
Jr. guard Tyler Dorsey (Arizona commit) didn't make trip for SJB for "academic reason" according to father. #HHClassic

Yes, he committed to Arizona a couple of weeks ago. Kids committ, decommitt, re-open recruitments, re-committ, etc. all the time, for lots of different reasons.

Duvall
01-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Yes, he committed to Arizona a couple of weeks ago. Kids committ, decommitt, re-open recruitments, re-committ, etc. all the time, for lots of different reasons.

Is Dorsey a one-and-done talent? Recruiting him may not make sense otherwise.

tommy
01-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Is Dorsey a one-and-done talent? Recruiting him may not make sense otherwise.

To me, he's not a one-and-done guy, at least not yet. He has some work to do on his game. But he's very talented and a great kid, and he certainly can improve in some areas to the point where he could be one and done. And of course, many guys go after a year who really shouldn't.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you seem to be saying that unless he's a one and done that it may not make sense to recruit him. Why would that be?

Troublemaker
01-23-2014, 11:13 PM
The table at the bottom is the '15-'16 roster that we're recruiting the 2015 class into. I added some (imo) reasonable minutes estimates.

Legend:
[CG] = Combo Guard.................................Luke Kennard?
[BW] = Big Wing.......................................Brandon Ingram?
[STB] = Short-Term Big (1-2 yr player)........Diamond Stone?
[LTB] = Long-Term Big (3-4 yr player).........Chase Jeter?

+----+------------+----+--------------+-------------+
| 30 | So Tyus | 5 | [Fr] [CG] | |
+----+------------+----+--------------+ +
| 30 | Jr Matt | 15 | So Grayson | |
| 30 | So Justise | 10 | [Fr] [BW] | |
| 30 | Sr Amile | 15 | Jr Semi | |
| 20 | Sr MP3 | 15 | [Fr] [STB] | [Fr] [LTB] |

Troublemaker
01-23-2014, 11:28 PM
From the table above:

* I think we're trying for 2 bigs because Amile and MP3 are seniors.

* The 2015 class is not considered strong for PGs. No 5-star pure PG has been identified yet. That's why I believe we're going after a combo like Luke Kennard who could play PG in a pinch if Tyus leaves after his sophomore year. The class of 2016 is probably where Duke will pursue its next great PG to replace Tyus

* A sweet-shooting big wing to complement Winslow (who does everything well except shoot) would be nice. There is interest in Brandon Ingram and Matt Ryan

* I would expect Duke to sign 1 guard in this class (a combo, as mentioned). Sheed could possibly return for his senior year.

Ichabod Drain
02-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Austin Grandstaff has decommitted from OK State. Duke had not offered him to my knowledge but the interest was definitely there.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1373754.html

flyingdutchdevil
02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Austin Grandstaff has decommitted from OK State. Duke had not offered him to my knowledge but the interest was definitely there.

He's around 6'4"-6'6". He's from Texas. And he's a shooting guard. How is he not coming to Duke? I mean, we could have Sulaimon, M. Jones, Winslow, and Grandstaff all on the same roster.

On a sidenote, he has the best last name ever. I expect students to dress like Gandolf in honor of his last name.

toughbuff1
02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
If he does wind up coming to Duke, I would be worried about his lack of assists.

"You shall not pass!"

tommy
02-07-2014, 11:19 AM

We showed some early interest, more along the lines of kicking the tires IMO, and I don't think we were particularly close to offering him. We weren't in the group from which he selected OK State.

He's redundant with Luke Kennard and Matt Ryan, who are the top priorities right now at wing guard in the 2015 class.

Ichabod Drain
02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
We showed some early interest, more along the lines of kicking the tires IMO, and I don't think we were particularly close to offering him. We weren't in the group from which he selected OK State.

He's redundant with Luke Kennard and Matt Ryan, who are the top priorities right now at wing guard in the 2015 class.

Most everyone has Kennard ending up in Lexington though it's not guaranteed. And I haven't seen them both play in person so I can't say from first hand experience, but everyone who has seen them play has Grandstaff rated much higher than Ryan.

gam7
02-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Most everyone has Kennard ending up in Lexington though it's not guaranteed. And I haven't seen them both play in person so I can't say from first hand experience, but everyone who has seen them play has Grandstaff rated much higher than Ryan.

Kennard is from a small town in southern Ohio, which is basically UK territory, but who knows.

Matt Ryan doesn't appear on espn's recently updated Top 60 2015 player rankings and looks like he's ranked in the 90s on scout. I defer to the opinions of anyone who has ever seen Matt Ryan play (including on youtube) because I haven't, but I can't recall the last time we recruited a scholarship player ranked so low. Maybe Tyler Adams? Olek Czyz? Marty Pocius? Maybe he's a late bloomer? Seems like it would be a significant drop-off from Kennard.

wk2109
02-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I can't recall the last time we recruited a scholarship player ranked so low. Maybe Tyler Adams? Olek Czyz? Marty Pocius? Maybe he's a late bloomer? Seems like it would be a significant drop-off from Kennard.

Tyler Thornton wasn't ranked top-100 in the RSCI.

Troublemaker
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM

Matt Ryan doesn't appear on espn's recently updated Top 60 2015 player rankings and looks like he's ranked in the 90s on scout. I defer to the opinions of anyone who has ever seen Matt Ryan play (including on youtube) because I haven't, but I can't recall the last time we recruited a scholarship player ranked so low. Maybe Tyler Adams? Olek Czyz? Marty Pocius? Maybe he's a late bloomer? Seems like it would be a significant drop-off from Kennard.

Matt Ryan hadn't been playing the major AAU circuits, so he really hasn't been evaluated with equal exposure as other recruits. He absolutely could rise very high and very quickly in the rankings. The recruiting rankings just, for the most part, reflect what kind of offers a kid has been receiving. If Duke and UNC end up pulling the trigger and offering Ryan, a top-40 ranking for him should follow.

Also, imo, Kennard and Ryan are being looked at for separate positions. Kennard is a combo guard and Ryan is a big wing shooter with a beautiful stroke.

tommy
02-07-2014, 01:00 PM

I haven't seen Ryan play, but I saw Grandstaff a couple of times last summer, as he played on the same AAU team with Elijah Thomas, and the first few games I saw it looked like Grandstaff didn't belong on the court, but then he got his legs under him and proved to be a pretty opportunistic scorer with a nice looking jump shot.

But yeah, Kennard is rated much higher than Grandstaff and much, much higher than Ryan at this time.

We should keep in mind, too, that Charles Matthews (for sure) and Teki Gill Caesar (reportedly) have been on the radar at this position as well.

lotusland
02-07-2014, 04:09 PM
He's around 6'4"-6'6". He's from Texas. And he's a shooting guard. How is he not coming to Duke? I mean, we could have Sulaimon, M. Jones, Winslow, and Grandstaff all on the same roster.

On a sidenote, he has the best last name ever. I expect students to dress like Gandolf in honor of his last name.

I'd maybe go a different direction if it were my last name. Think Magic Johnson.

AncientPsychicT
02-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I haven't seen Ryan play, but I saw Grandstaff a couple of times last summer, as he played on the same AAU team with Elijah Thomas, and the first few games I saw it looked like Grandstaff didn't belong on the court, but then he got his legs under him and proved to be a pretty opportunistic scorer with a nice looking jump shot.

But yeah, Kennard is rated much higher than Grandstaff and much, much higher than Ryan at this time.

We should keep in mind, too, that Charles Matthews (for sure) and Teki Gill Caesar (reportedly) have been on the radar at this position as well.

We have to get this guy, if only for his name. It's almost too fantastic to handle.

tommy
02-11-2014, 05:19 PM
In the 2014 Recruiting thread, Newton 14 did a great job at periodically updating our list of recruiting targets, updating the table in post #1 to try to give everyone a somewhat current look at things. I think he might have done so for the 2013 thread too.

Newt, want to do the same for 2015, creating something at the top of the thread for it?

If so, here's who it seems to me should be, or could be, on the list:

Diamond Stone, 6'10" C out of Milwaukee
Chase Jeter, 6'10"-6'11" PF out of Las Vegas
Luke Kennard 6'5" SG, Franklin, OH
Brandon Ingram 6'8" SF out of Kinston, NC
Matt Ryan, 6'6" wing shooter, New Rochelle, NY
Ray Smith, 6'7" SF, Las Vegas
Ivan Rabb 6'9" F, Oakland, CA
Montaque "Teki" Gill-Caesar, 6'6" wing out of Canada
Malik Newman 6'3" combo guard, Jackson, Mississippi - we're a longshot here
Skal Labissiere 6'10", Memphis - haven't heard anything lately about him
Elijah Thomas 6'9", Rockwall, TX - haven't heard anything lately about him
Charles Matthews 6'5" SG, Chicago
Thomas Bryant 6'10" PF, Rochester, NY - haven't heard much about him either lately

Tyler Dorsey, the combo guard out of Southern California, committed to Arizona a few weeks ago, but as I noted in an earlier post, nobody should be shocked if he re-opens his commitment. We had been on him pretty hard.

Henderson
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Kennard is from a small town in southern Ohio, which is basically UK territory, but who knows.

Kennard is from Franklin, OH, which is north of Cincinnati and just outside Dayton, and I think many there would disagree that it's "basically UK territory." Among his other listed schools are Louisville, Dayton, Ohio State, and Indiana. Dayton and Ohio State are much closer to Franklin, OH than is UK, and Louisville and Indiana are about the same distance as Lexington.

tbyers11
02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Kennard is from Franklin, OH, which is north of Cincinnati and just outside Dayton, and I think many there would disagree that it's "basically UK territory." Among his other listed schools are Louisville, Dayton, Ohio State, and Indiana. Dayton and Ohio State are much closer to Franklin, OH than is UK, and Louisville and Indiana are about the same distance as Lexington.

Franklin, OH may not be basically UK territory, but he and his family (http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/sports/college/uk/basketball/uk-basketball-kentucky-target-luke-kennard-blessed-with-talent-father/article_6a1e21b7-4e95-51c2-9b86-fd0e9cba3992.html?mode=jqm/) are big UK fans. Which is why they are considered the heavy favorite.

Henderson
02-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Franklin, OH may not be basically UK territory, but he and his family (http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/sports/college/uk/basketball/uk-basketball-kentucky-target-luke-kennard-blessed-with-talent-father/article_6a1e21b7-4e95-51c2-9b86-fd0e9cba3992.html?mode=jqm/) are big UK fans. Which is why they are considered the heavy favorite.

Well, his Dad's family is from Paintsville, KY. That's serious UK territory. And his parents have a "Kentucky Room" in their house. Yet Kennard hasn't committed. Hmm.

When I was growing up, my Dad was a serious Oregon fan. So I didn't even apply there.

KY has to be the favorite for Kennard, but it's no lock for someone like Kennard (a 4.2 GPA student) who isn't obviously a one-and-done and may want to go his own way for his own future.

tommy
02-24-2014, 11:30 PM
Surprisingly, Charles Matthews is announcing tomorrow. Duke was never really in this one.

JPtheGame
02-25-2014, 01:20 AM

Grew up right down the road, went to St. X and I have to disagree with the idea that mileage means anything here. Everyone loves OSU for football but it's all UK for hoops. This became even more true when Matta burned Xavier. No way folks in southern OHIo were going to love OSU for hoops after that.

Ichabod Drain
02-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Grew up right down the road, went to St. X and I have to disagree with the idea that mileage means anything here. Everyone loves OSU for football but it's all UK for hoops. This became even more true when Matta burned Xavier. No way folks in southern OHIo were going to love OSU for hoops after that.

Have to agree with you, my girlfriend is from outside Dayton and got her undergrad at UC. Every time I've been up there it's been UK everywhere I go. Also I think it's been said numerous times in varying places that Kennard's family are UK fans.

AAA1980
02-25-2014, 11:31 AM
If Matthews goes to UK and they are also heavy favorites for Newman you have to think Kennard will think twice about going to UK,they also will have Booker whos a real good 2 coming in next year thats a crowded backourt

tommy
02-25-2014, 12:12 PM
If Matthews goes to UK and they are also heavy favorites for Newman you have to think Kennard will think twice about going to UK,they also will have Booker whos a real good 2 coming in next year thats a crowded backourt

I agree, and that's why I think Matthews is committing to UK early (I'm assuming it's going to be Kentucky tomorrow), in order to grab that spot before Kennard does. Kennard still may go there too, with all the family connections and history, but I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews is trying to dissuade him from doing so by committing to Kentucky first.

AAA1980
02-25-2014, 12:18 PM
I agree, and that's why I think Matthews is committing to UK early (I'm assuming it's going to be Kentucky tomorrow), in order to grab that spot before Kennard does. Kennard still may go there too, with all the family connections and history, but I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews is trying to dissuade him from doing so by committing to Kentucky first.

Makes sense and the only logical reason i can think of as to why hed feel the need to comitt so early..Youd have to think Kennard would not want to go to such a crowded backourt with alot of the players being hes equal or better then him hed have to fight for playing time with..

roywhite
02-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Apparently, sweet shooting wing Matt Ryan was on campus for a visit the day of the Syracuse game.

There's a premium article with some detail on scout.com.

AAA1980
02-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Justin Byerly ‏@Justinbyerly 22m
Duke assistant Jeff Capel will be in tonight at Kinston HS to see 2015 W Brandon Ingram

I tohught he was a UNC lock but Duke has been going after him hard lately must think they have a shot

Ichabod Drain
02-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Justin Byerly ‏@Justinbyerly 22m
Duke assistant Jeff Capel will be in tonight at Kinston HS to see 2015 W Brandon Ingram

I tohught he was a UNC lock but Duke has been going after him hard lately must think they have a shot

Well he grew up a Duke fan so I would think there's always a chance for us. Especially if we turn the heat up on him.

Troublemaker
03-01-2014, 11:23 AM
According to watzone on twitter, Wojo was in Nevada last night to watch Chase Jeter win a state championship. Jeter had 21 points, 20 rebounds in the title game. Teammate Stephen Zimmerman played a supporting role with 11 points, 12 rebounds.

So as one would expect, Duke coaches are using some of this week off to check in on some recruits.

Cameron
03-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Didn't see this mentioned officially yet.

Luke Kennard, the No. 3 shooting guard and No. 14 player overall in the class of '15, will be in Cameron for Saturday's Duke-North Carolina game for his first official college visit, per KentuckySports. Touted as the best shooter in the class, the 6-foot-5 southpaw hails from the southwestern corner of Ohio and is considered by many a Kentucky lean. As widely reported, Kennard grew up in a family of diehard Wildcat fans and has already made multiple unofficial visits to Lexington.

Here's to hoping the visit marks a life-changing experience for the young man and that he falls under the spell of the enchanted Duke Forest. A crafty combo guard with great size and unlimited range, Kennard was born to play for Coach K.

porkpa
03-03-2014, 07:58 AM
We know he belongs here. Let's make him think the same way.

Henderson
03-03-2014, 08:27 AM
According to watzone on twitter, Wojo was in Nevada last night to watch Chase Jeter win a state championship. Jeter had 21 points, 20 rebounds in the title game. Teammate Stephen Zimmerman played a supporting role with 11 points, 12 rebounds.

The score card for that game is here (http://static.psbin.com/k/z/kmmqb079v3z4b0/2014_D-I_BBB-_BG-CS.pdf). And the local paper reported on the game here (http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/gorman-powers-three-peat).

Jeter visited Arizona this past weekend right after winning the state championship for the third year in a row. Also visiting was UA 2014 commit Stanley Johnson, 2015 recruit Justin Simon (4 star 6-4 PG from Temecula, CA), and Christian PoPoola Jr. (2017 PG prospect from Las Vegas -- a team mate of Jeter and Zimmerman, who shows up on the score card linked above as "Poopla").

Also visiting UA last weekend was the 2014 class 7 footer from Serbia, Dusan Ristic (now going to HS in Kansas). Ristic seems likely to commit to UA soon (his coach said he's stopped communicating with other programs) and is projected by Rivals as a late first rounder in 2015, which doesn't make him sound like a OAD at this early stage. Not sure what effect Ristic's commitment would have on UA's recruitment of Chase Jeter or Stephen Zimmerman. Sean Miller is chasing all three of them pretty hard. All in all, if Ristic commits to UA, that's good news for Duke regarding Jeter.

I'm still quite curious as to why Duke is not in the mix for Zimmerman. No interest by SZ? Academics? Something else?

CarmenWallaceWade
03-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Huge weekend coming up for recruiting. I've heard these names mentioned for being at the game Sat night (sitting behind OUR bench). ESPN rankings in ().

Jahlil Okafor (#1, 2014 - committed)
Myles Turner (#2, 2014)
Luke Kennard (#24, 2015)
Chase Jeter (#35, 2015)
Harry Giles (#3, 2016)
Josh Langford (#13, 2016)

Brandon Ingram (#15, 2015) is a maybe.

tommy
03-03-2014, 04:08 PM
The score card for that game is here (http://static.psbin.com/k/z/kmmqb079v3z4b0/2014_D-I_BBB-_BG-CS.pdf). And the local paper reported on the game here (http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/gorman-powers-three-peat).

Jeter visited Arizona this past weekend right after winning the state championship for the third year in a row. Also visiting was UA 2014 commit Stanley Johnson, 2015 recruit Justin Simon (4 star 6-4 PG from Temecula, CA), and Christian PoPoola Jr. (2017 PG prospect from Las Vegas -- a team mate of Jeter and Zimmerman, who shows up on the score card linked above as "Poopla").

Also visiting UA last weekend was the 2014 class 7 footer from Serbia, Dusan Ristic (now going to HS in Kansas). Ristic seems likely to commit to UA soon (his coach said he's stopped communicating with other programs) and is projected by Rivals as a late first rounder in 2015, which doesn't make him sound like a OAD at this early stage. Not sure what effect Ristic's commitment would have on UA's recruitment of Chase Jeter or Stephen Zimmerman. Sean Miller is chasing all three of them pretty hard. All in all, if Ristic commits to UA, that's good news for Duke regarding Jeter.

I'm still quite curious as to why Duke is not in the mix for Zimmerman. No interest by SZ? Academics? Something else?

It's not academics with respect to Zimmerman. It's something else.

As for Arizona, I continue to be amazed at just how many offers Sean Miller makes and how many guys U of A is in the mix for. It is an excellent program and he's a very, very good coach, as I have opined previously, but I'm wondering why he's not a little more exclusive with his offers. Sometimes it seems like anybody with a strong pulse gets one.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2014, 04:11 PM

As for Arizona, I continue to be amazed at just how many offers Sean Miller makes and how many guys U of A is in the mix for. It is an excellent program and he's a very, very good coach, as I have opined previously, but I'm wondering why he's not a little more exclusive with his offers. Sometimes it seems like anybody with a strong pulse gets one.

Did Coach K deploy this technique when he started at Duke, or am I wildly mistaken? As a program that wasn't competing with the blue bloods, maybe one of the best ways to get recruits was to cast a wide net. In Coach K's really days, we had a lot of misses. But those misses also came with gems who committed.

What I think is strange is why Sean Miller is still doing it, now that he was restablished Zona as a blue chip school.

FerryFor50
03-03-2014, 04:39 PM

Any insight on the "something else"? :)