PDA

View Full Version : well, it was bound to happen

Channing
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
and maybe it already has, but UGA football is in a recruiting flap over a fan contacting a recruit.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/08/21/overzealous-uga-fan-calls-recruit-about-his-commitment-status-with-bulldogs/

dukereport
08-21-2012, 03:56 PM
and maybe it already has, but UGA football is in a recruiting flap over a fan contacting a recruit.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/08/21/overzealous-uga-fan-calls-recruit-about-his-commitment-status-with-bulldogs/

Best part of the article was this:

When the Bulldogs send out season tickets each year, there’s also a letter from UGA athletics director Greg McGarity which addresses contact between boosters and prospective student-athlete.

“Basically it says ‘Please leave all the recruiting up to our coaches,’” Booz said.

Newton_14
08-21-2012, 08:36 PM

The sad part is, there is a large segment of fans that just do not get it. They constantly reach out to recruits via Facebook, Twitter, and also in person at AAU tournaments. Unfortunately we see evidence of that here at times, which is why we often caution people here to not contact Duke BB or FB recruits ever, for any reason. It is just a bad idea.

oldnavy
08-22-2012, 07:34 AM
The sad part is, there is a large segment of fans that just do not get it. They constantly reach out to recruits via Facebook, Twitter, and also in person at AAU tournaments. Unfortunately we see evidence of that here at times, which is why we often caution people here to not contact Duke BB or FB recruits ever, for any reason. It is just a bad idea.

Your are 100% correct... although I will add that the rule seems a bit over the top imo. Nonetheless it is the law of the land, and we DO NOT want to be involved in getting Duke in trouble with the NCAA...

Devil fans, please read and understand what this rule is about... You cannot discuss Duke with potential recruits at all! If you feel you must contact them at least do not discuss Duke... better to not contact them at all.

-jk
08-22-2012, 09:20 AM
We have a link in the stickies to Duke's Compliance Office (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3217-FAQ-NCAA-Compliance-TV-Coverage-Game-Chat-quot-9F-quot-NBA&p=205515#post205515) covering contact with recruits.

If you haven't read it, please do. Bottom line: don't contact recruits.

-jk

flyingdutchdevil
08-22-2012, 11:02 AM
We have a link in the stickies to Duke's Compliance Office (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3217-FAQ-NCAA-Compliance-TV-Coverage-Game-Chat-quot-9F-quot-NBA&p=205515#post205515) covering contact with recruits.

If you haven't read it, please do. Bottom line: don't contact recruits.

-jk

Wait - do you want me to stop walking to Parker's house and giving his family fruit baskets? ;)

Jderf
08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Wait - do you want me to stop walking to Parker's house and giving his family fruit baskets? ;)

Ah, that must be why there's always fruit on the table whenever I drop by with piles of cash.

Indoor66
08-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Ah, that must be why there's always fruit on the table whenever I drop by with piles of cash.

NOT wise to say, even in jest. Just grist for the hater mill.

Jderf
08-23-2012, 09:40 AM
NOT wise to say, even in jest. Just grist for the hater mill.

Really? I always get the feeling that those mills will churn regardless, grist be damned. If it makes you feel any better, I also tend to make bomb jokes at airport security.

oldnavy
08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Really? I always get the feeling that those mills will churn regardless, grist be damned. If it makes you feel any better, I also tend to make bomb jokes at airport security.

You can't say bomb in an airport!!

Seriously, I get the humor, laughing as I type, BUT.... there are people with blinders on that only hear what they want and would take you serious... as you must know from saying bomb in the airport :)

"Duke fan admits to paying recruit in piles of cash"... and the fire starts..... granted the haters will make it up no matter what, it is just easier for them if they can take something out of context....

Jderf
08-24-2012, 11:24 AM
You can't say bomb in an airport!!

Seriously, I get the humor, laughing as I type, BUT.... there are people with blinders on that only hear what they want and would take you serious... as you must know from saying bomb in the airport :)

"Duke fan admits to paying recruit in piles of cash"... and the fire starts..... granted the haters will make it up no matter what, it is just easier for them if they can take something out of context....

Knowing the NCAA, they'd probably by-pass all protocol and hand down crippling sanctions that very day, while of course continuing to dawdle on UNC's ongoing issues. After all, I hear my posts are taken as gospel by the Associated Press. So to assuage all fears, I hereby go on the record saying that I have never offered any benefits, proper or improper, to any Duke recruiting target at any time -- nor do I even have any money or gifts to offer, for that matter, with this whole recession thing we've got going on these days. Any statements to the contrary are false, and should be disregarded.

There. That ought to be enough to keep away all the relentless students of the NCSU Online School of Investigative Journalism.

ThePublisher
08-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Fruit baskets are ok, as long as they come with a 15 page compliance/regulation/disclaimer/guideline report for their proper use.....

OldPhiKap
08-29-2012, 10:34 AM
That ought to be enough to keep away all the relentless students of the NCSU Online School of Investigative Journalism.

They are doing a hell of a lot better than the degreed journalism majors at UNC.

Maybe there are a number of non-classes in that department, too.