PDA

View Full Version : IL Loves the Class of 2016

burnspbesq
08-17-2012, 05:26 PM
The annual recruiting issue of Inside Lacrosse is out, and Duke's incoming freshman classes are rated number 3 (men) and number 2 (women).

On the men's side, Duke has three of the top 20: attackman Case Matheis at number one, midfielder Deemer Class at number 10, and defender/LSM Jamie Ikeda at number 19. Goaltender Luke Aaron comes in at number 29.

On the women's side, midfielders Kelci Smesko and Maddie Acton are ranked five and six, respectively. Goaltender Kelsey Duryea comes in at number 20, and midfielder Emma Lazaroff and attack Claire Scarrone are on the watch list.

Next spring is going to be fun.

buddy
08-17-2012, 06:00 PM
The downside is that the men's class is third in the nation, and third in the ACC, behind the 'Holes and UVA.

burnspbesq
08-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Carolina has had three straight recruiting classes that, on paper, were ridiculous. Fat lot of good it's done them.

Joe Breschi is the master of doing less with more.

roywhite
08-17-2012, 07:13 PM
The downside is that the men's class is third in the nation, and third in the ACC, behind the 'Holes and UVA.

Fortunately, Coach Danowski seems to own them both.
I'll guess that Duke continues it's winning ways, if not outright dominance, vs those programs.

buddy
08-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Carolina has had three straight recruiting classes that, on paper, were ridiculous. Fat lot of good it's done them.

Joe Breschi is the master of doing less with more.

I take these rankings with a grain of salt, because until the guys get on the field it really doesn't matter. The rankings do indicate that the ACC is the Big Kahuna of college lacrosse (Maryland's class was 6th--and they seem to own us almost as much as we own the other guys). I hope this class is indicative of continued success. It will be interesting to see how Danowski works Matheis into the line-up with our current excellent attack. Who goes to middie--Wolf or Matheis?

MCFinARL
08-18-2012, 12:06 PM
It's worth noting Duke also has Myles Jones coming in--the 8th ranked PG player, who isn't counted in ranking the recruiting classes. Neither UVA nor UNC has a PG ranked in the top 20 coming in, so that presumably strengthens the Duke class relative to the ones above it.

That being said, I agree with buddy that the rankings are little more than educated guesses. Some players are already as good as they are going to be coming into college, while others have more room to develop at the college level. Some adapt better than others to the rigors and challenges of the college game, and to the offensive and defensive schemes of their particular teams. Etc.

So far I think Duke's higher-ranked recruits of the past few years have panned out pretty well, and some less-heralded players have also surprised in a good way. I'm hoping that continues this year.

buddy
08-18-2012, 12:10 PM
I read somewhere this spring (I think in IL) that Casey Carroll was returning to Duke for graduate school and might play lacrosse. He has a year of eligibility left (although he may have had to use it in 2008 under NCAA rules). Anyone know if this is going to happen? As I remember, Casey was a pretty good defenseman. It would be interesting to see him play at age 26, although after 4 years as a Ranger he is probably in good physical shape.

I can't wait for lacrosse to start--it's a sure harbinger of spring!

burnspbesq
08-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Who goes to middie--Wolf or Matheis?

My money's on Wolf. His speed and dodging ability mean he's almost certain to draw the pole, which means that two out of Tripucka, Lawson, Class, and Jones are going to be running at shorties. That prospect fills my heart with joy.