PDA

View Full Version : SI writer calls out Jordan

nmduke2001
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Jordan has no obligation to help, but it is the least he could do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/thomas_lake/08/13/letter-to-michael-jordan/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf3_a3

Billy Dat
08-15-2012, 01:48 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/thomas_lake/08/13/letter-to-michael-jordan/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf3_a3

I don't know if I agree. It's obvious that Jordan has no real feelings toward this guys...regardless of his situation. I know he's worth millions, but I also don't think it's his job to fix the world.

AsiaMinor
08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
and that is to help this elderly gentleman. It's easy to think about spending someone else's money, so I cannot advise Jordan. It's a sad sad situation. I hope that Jordan does charitable things the way so many professional sports stars do. If he does not, that is his choice. No one can dispute that Jordan earned his money, but it would be nice to think he could use just a bit of it to give this story a happier ending.

grit74
08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
No one is asking Jordan to fix the world. Jordan has treated this man harshly, and unfairly, in public multiple times.

No one has ever accused Jordan of being gracious.

johnb
08-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't know if I agree. It's obvious that Jordan has no real feelings toward this guys...regardless of his situation. I know he's worth millions, but I also don't think it's his job to fix the world.

Jordan actually seems to have negative feelings towards him, at least in regards to inaccurately recounting the "getting cut" story.

Regardless, I don't have any expectations of Jordan in regards to philanthropy or doing anything that isn't in his immediate self interest. Maybe he's secretly doing all sorts of good works, but my understanding is that he doesn't extend himself beyond burnishing his image and making money.

sagegrouse
08-15-2012, 04:56 PM

While I have little regard for Jordan as a compassionate human being, I can't imagine WHY HE DESERVES this kind of harsh treament from SI. Pop Herring, his former HS coach, is mentally ill and needs a support network; he can't even keep criminals from moving into his house. Surely there are local people -- former players -- who can get something started. Or perhaps there is a local public or private welfare agency. Then it would be time to look for Jordan and others to come up with some cash. Spending money at a distance in such circumstances is a recipe for failure. IMHO a very naive article.

sagegrouse

Billy Dat
08-15-2012, 05:06 PM
While I have little regard for Jordan as a compassionate human being, I can't imagine WHY HE DESERVES this kind of harsh treament from SI. Pop Herring, his former HS coach, is mentally ill and needs a support network; he can't even keep criminals from moving into his house. Surely there are local people -- former players -- who can get something started. Or perhaps there is a local public or private welfare agency. Then it would be time to look for Jordan and others to come up with some cash. Spending money at a distance in such circumstances is a recipe for failure. IMHO a very naive article.

sagegrouse

Your response echoes my gut reaction, and I am a little annoyed at the writer. Agree that he may be naive, or a more pessimistic reading is that he's an opportunist who keeps beating this dead horse to keep his name in the headlines.

mapei
08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Jordan is a complete jerk who has treated people horribly over and over. Even in a profession full of arrogant and self-aggrandizing people, he stands out, based on the many stories I have read. The fact that he was bitter toward this guy - destitute, mentally ill, aging - in public long, long after he should have gotten over whatever it was that pissed him off kind of says it all. Jordan rode extraordinary basketball skill and Nike's image-making machine to a public impression that was the opposite of how he really was and is. There's a story there that probably should be told better and more often than it has been.

There is also a story about a high school athlete and coach who set others on a path to glory but is now horribly situated in life. It's incredibly sad to me.

But they are probably two separate stories.

g-money
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM

sagegrouse

I happen to know two people, a close friend and a cousin, who became schizophrenic in their 20s. In both cases, a good family support structure and plenty of money were insufficient to help the person with the illness. A huge issue for both of these people was their inability to admit/comprehend that they needed long-term help. No amount of money would have fixed that.

Anyway, this is just a long-winded way of agreeing with Sage - this article is incredibly naive.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I happen to know two people, a close friend and a cousin, who became schizophrenic in their 20s. In both cases, a good family support structure and plenty of money were insufficient to help the person with the illness. A huge issue for both of these people was their inability to admit/comprehend that they needed long-term help. No amount of money would have fixed that.

Anyway, this is just a long-winded way of agreeing with Sage - this article is incredibly naive.
I tend to agree. The article is written in such a way that it's not so much about helping the poor man suffering from mental illness, but rather more about the writer's anger directed toward Michael Jordan.

SupaDave
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
You just CAN'T help everyone. Oprah has already proven this...

Duvall
08-15-2012, 08:26 PM
You just CAN'T help everyone. Oprah has already proven this...

Especially when doing so would take away from valuable shoe and underwear hawking time.

ChillinDuke
08-16-2012, 10:52 AM

sagegrouse

Agreed, Sage. Very Naive.

Shouldn't the cops be keeping the criminals out in the first place?

I feel for the man, but there was little tangible support in that article that Michael owes him anything.

- Chillin

m g
08-16-2012, 11:28 AM
There is nothing naive about this article.

Jordan publicly humiliated this man - by lying about him, no less - despite all he did for Jordan and all of his troubles. The least he could do is buy him a pair of shoes.

Jordan deserves to be called out for the way he treats people, especially this man. The author doesn't say that Jordan has to solve his every problem. But he owes it to him to at least be civil to him. And any decent person would help in this situation.

subzero02
08-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Social security disability payments should be available to Pop. Obviously these payments have not been sought or are insufficient. Regardless, the man is in need and it is not out of line to ask Jordan to help out some. It is also not out of line for Jordan to refuse, we do not know the nuances of their relationship.

MIKESJ73
08-16-2012, 04:33 PM
In the January article it says that Pop gets a governement check (SSI/disability I assume). He turns it over to his landlord/buddy who dispenses $60 every other day to Pop to help keep him from going through it all. They both like the arrangement. The article also says that years back Pop received a "government check" for over $40,000 which he blew in less than six weeks...I just thought that was pretty strange, but maybe his buddy is doing him a favor.

I think that if most people picked up their local paper and saw that a former teacher/coach had fallen on hard times, they would try to help. If during the same week as the article was released a womens dead body was found in the teachers/coaches back yard, most people would likely distance themselves from it.

hurleyfor3
08-16-2012, 06:52 PM
SI and Jordan have a long history of not getting along, and as far as I know Jordan still doesn't talk to SI reporters. Petty to be sure, but there is a backstory here.

Steven43
08-16-2012, 07:27 PM
There is nothing naive about this article.

Jordan publicly humiliated this man - by lying about him, no less - despite all he did for Jordan and all of his troubles. The least he could do is buy him a pair of shoes.

Jordan deserves to be called out for the way he treats people, especially this man. The author doesn't say that Jordan has to solve his every problem. But he owes it to him to at least be civil to him. And any decent person would help in this situation.

I know you probably didn't mean it literally, but you can easily surmise what would happen if Mike actually did buy his former coach a pair of shoes (Air Jordans?). He would be vilified for not doing more.

I don't know much about Michael Jordan's personal life or what he's like away from the basketball court. I've heard that he likes to gamble, play golf, smoke cigars, compete hard at everything, and that he stays out of politics. The truth is, though, that I've never really cared to find out much more than that. I just know that I loved watching him play basketball. Sure, it would be nice if every great athlete were like Grant Hill--a champion both on and off the court--but that's not a realistic expectation. I would guess that the majority of professional sports stars have been pampered and fawned over from the time that they showed exceptional athletic prowess. I seriously doubt that this phenomenon helps the athlete become a wonderful all-around person. More likely just the opposite.

SupaDave
08-16-2012, 09:49 PM
SI and Jordan have a long history of not getting along, and as far as I know Jordan still doesn't talk to SI reporters. Petty to be sure, but there is a backstory here.

Incredible since Jordan has been on at least 51 SI covers. I would like to look further into this. Jordan is most certainly the type of guy to find a reason to have a chip on his shoulder for something slight - perhaps a bad Bobcats review. Hmmm...

SupaDave
08-16-2012, 09:52 PM
I know you probably didn't mean it literally, but you can easily surmise what would happen if Mike actually did buy his former coach a pair of shoes (Air Jordans?). He would be vilified for not doing more.

I don't know much about Michael Jordan's personal life or what he's like away from the basketball court. I've heard that he likes to gamble, play golf, smoke cigars, compete hard at everything, and that he stays out of politics. The truth is, though, that I've never really cared to find out much more than that. I just know that I loved watching him play basketball. Sure, it would be nice if every great athlete were like Grant Hill--a champion both on and off the court--but that's not a realistic expectation. I would guess that the majority of professional sports stars have been pampered and fawned over from the time that they showed exceptional athletic prowess. I seriously doubt that this phenomenon helps the athlete become a wonderful all-around person. More likely just the opposite.

Well all this and the fact that he bought his home state's basketball franchise and has been giving back to the state of North Carolina in all kinds of ways. It's really easy to overlook the big stuff for some reason. Jordan brand furnishes all of NC A&T's athletic gear - that's not something he has to do.

hurleyfor3
08-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Incredible since Jordan has been on at least 51 SI covers. I would like to look further into this. Jordan is most certainly the type of guy to find a reason to have a chip on his shoulder for something slight - perhaps a bad Bobcats review. Hmmm...

It goes back to Steve Wulf's "Bag It, Michael" story when Jordan took up baseball. I believe they broke the stories about his gambling and rapacious off-court behavior as well. In SI/Time Warner's defense, they are in the business of selling magazines and considering public opinion in doing so (people like Jordan = put him on the cover as often as possible). And to SI's credit, they do mostly seem to have acted professionally in the intervening years.

MIKESJ73
08-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Michael Jordan did add a logo to a few of his "Air Jordans" that was a PH shaped as a whistle as a tribute to his former coach, Pop Herring. I don't like Jordan, but his decision to not hand out money to everyone asking isn't why. Everyone is so quick to jump on Iverson for being bankrupt after he tried to keep all his buddies employed, but then the same people are critical for not taking care of people from the past. The SI writer suggesting that he buy the house and employ multiple caregivers is really just silly.
http://niketalk.com/t/71087/air-jordan-phly

Third picture from the top is the logo, pretty nice tribute in my opinion.

Spret42
08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
We can't mock athletes for being broke due to taking care of everyone and then get on Jordan because he doesn't take care of everyone.

The same things that made Jordan the best in the history of the sport are the same things that make him a less than admirable person. He is, for lack of a better way of putting it, wildly out of balance.

The most admirable person I have ever know is a Lutheran minister. He has almost no ego, no competitive drive and lives every day for other people. He is also wildly out of balance. While the world might be a more peaceful and calmer place if everyone were like him, it would also be very very boring, with far less human accomplishment.

This being a Duke board I have to make the obligatory Krzyzewski reference. He seems to really fight hard to balance himself off, which is admirable as hell.