PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier threatens to quit at USC

JasonEvans
08-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Here is the story (http://www.contracostatimes.com/colleges/ci_6554898).

I am not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, Spurrier is saying it is a big problem if he recruits a kid and promise the player a scholarship and then sees the kid get rejected by the admission department at the last minute. I think he is right about this and it creates an unfair situation to both the coach and the recruit.

On the other hand, it is not like South Carolina is Stanford, Duke, Northwestern or in the Ivy league. If they reject a kid, he must be a pretty big academic problem. What was Spurier doing recruiting kids who had such problems that they could not get into South Carolina?

Obviously, I do not know how the process works between Spurier's staff and the admissions department but they clearly need to communicate better.

-Jason "one of the rejected recruits is going to East Carolina and the other is looking at Minnesota-- taking South Carolina's academic rejects... now that's something to be proud of" Evans

sandinmyshoes
08-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Someone told me that Coach Spurrier had recruited more players than he had scholarships for, and that the player in question just happened to be an unranked recruit. The translation being that Coach Spurrier was using the admissions office as an excuse to axe the unranked player (although I was told it was two players).

mgtr
08-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Spurrier is not exactly a rookie coach. There is almost no possibility of this having played out as written. Coaches know everything about every recruit's academic status - test scores, grades, courses completed, etc. I don't believe the whole story has been told (although it may never be told).

mapei
08-06-2007, 07:46 PM
On PTI tonight they said that the school had already caved. I really like Spurrier, and they should have told him before he offered a scholarship, not after. But I'd like to see more schools take a strong stance for academics and not make special cases for athletes.