PDA

View Full Version : Notes From Cut's press conference, 8-6-12

jimsumner
08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Duke opens practice this afternoon.

I'll dispense with the usual expressions of optimism and get to the news portion of the program.

Kelby Brown, Jamal Bruce, Jordan DeWalt-Ondigo and Lucas Patrick still out with injuries. No ETA.

Duke still awaiting a decision on Jeremy Cash. Transfer from Ohio State. Duke hopes to have him declared eligible for this season. Decision should come this week. He's a safety.

Some position changes. Desmond Scott working at WR. May also be used at RB. Just not at the same time. :)
He reminded the media that he played some WR in high school.

Brandon Connette also working at WR. Should be used in lots of positions.

Freshman Keilin Rayner moved to NG. All 265 pounds of him.

DE Jamal Wallace has been moved to DT. He's up to 277.

No possibility of moving Brandon Braxton back to WR. Duke thinks he's an impact player at safety. Big, fast, loves to hit.

Cut praised depth at OL, RB and DB. Wants to play more people and wants more competition for PT. Called corners Ross Cockrell and Lee Butler the best pair of corners he's had.

Josh Snead is bigger and stronger than before his injury. Duke's best breakaway threat.

Brian Moore looking very healthy and strong at center.

Cut loves Monday and Martin. Elite talents.

Duke has gone paperless. They all have iPads, with the playbook loaded.

Walk-ons include Hud Mellencamp. Yes, John's son. 5-11, 165, no football experience. Duke will protect him from media.

Lee Butler practically giddy at move from safety to CB. Better chance to make plays at CB.

Redshirt freshmen corners Jared Boyd and Tim Burton should be able to contribute. Butler says both are fast, talented and cocky.

Walt Canty and Kenny Annunike have emerged as team leaders on D.

Team motto? "Make plays that win games."

More as it develops.

Billy Dat
08-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Walk-ons include Hud Mellencamp. Yes, John's son. 5-11, 165, no football experience. Duke will protect him from media.

I appreciate the summary, and don't mean to cherry pick this aspect which is clearly not really important, but why is this kid being given this opportunity? Is it simply because his father is famous and, therefore a potential booster? Is it that simple or am I missing something?

diablesseblu
08-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I appreciate the summary, and don't mean to cherry pick this aspect which is clearly not really important, but why is this kid being given this opportunity? Is it simply because his father is famous and, therefore a potential booster? Is it that simple or am I missing something?

Hud's apparently a very good athlete (boxing champion). He could not play high school football in the Bloomington, IN area because he was
home schooled.

airowe
08-06-2012, 03:34 PM

Hud was homeschooled, but was a very good athlete. He's already coming to Duke, why not give him a shot?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/john-mellencamp-son-walk-college-football-team-not-150757068.html

barely
08-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the nice summary. Very interesting information, particularly regarding the position changes. I guess we all expected some position changes to WR given the injury situation and the expulsion, but I would not have guessed that our senior RB would be the subject of the change. He does seem to have good hands and we have good depth at RB, esp. with the two freshman in the mix. I would expect this means that we should expect to see at least on of the freshman RBs on the field this season. Should be interesting.

What's the NCAA rule analysis on Jeremy Cash's eligibility for this season? Maybe I missed it but I didn't understand that OSU was in NCAA trouble or notice any other exception that would allow Cash to avoid sitting out one year.

Reilly
08-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Goduke has the press conf up ... good watch ...

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=907398&db_oem_id=4200

Olympic Fan
08-07-2012, 01:01 AM

I don't understand your point ... Duke has a lot of walk-ons -- the more the better (they usually play scout team). If Mellencamp is a bona fide student in good health and with a modicum of physical ability, why shouldn't he be given the chance to walk on? He'd get the same chance if his name was Cougar and his father was a a telephone installer.

It's not lioke he's being given an extraordinary or unusual opportunity.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the nice summary. Very interesting information, particularly regarding the position changes. I guess we all expected some position changes to WR given the injury situation and the expulsion, but I would not have guessed that our senior RB would be the subject of the change. He does seem to have good hands and we have good depth at RB, esp. with the two freshman in the mix. I would expect this means that we should expect to see at least on of the freshman RBs on the field this season. Should be interesting.

What's the NCAA rule analysis on Jeremy Cash's eligibility for this season? Maybe I missed it but I didn't understand that OSU was in NCAA trouble or notice any other exception that would allow Cash to avoid sitting out one year.
Here's a link to Steve Wiseman's report on Coach Cutcliffe's press conference. The headline focuses on Desmond Scott's change of position, but there is information about other changes and situations including Jeremy Cash. Just scroll down for a summary of his situation and what's transpired at tOSU.
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/19704283/article-Duke%E2%80%99s-Desmond-Scott-ready-to-make-most-of-opportunity-at-wide-receiver?

Billy Dat
08-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't understand your point ... Duke has a lot of walk-ons -- the more the better (they usually play scout team). If Mellencamp is a bona fide student in good health and with a modicum of physical ability, why shouldn't he be given the chance to walk on? He'd get the same chance if his name was Cougar and his father was a a telephone installer.

It's not lioke he's being given an extraordinary or unusual opportunity.

I probably should have better explained my general ignorance of norms in BCS Conference Football programs. It surprised me that a program would allow a kid to participate whose only athletic track record was as a Golden Gloves boxer. Perhaps I have been swayed by the general perception that football is a technique driven, highly specialized sport requiring years of training to perform at a high level save for all but the most athletically gifted. Even 'Rudy' played high school football. If what you're telling me is that he's going to be a Rudy-like tackling dummy, I guess I still thought that required some form of basic skill set to avoid wasting everyone's time or hurting someone. I am glad that I am wrong as I very much believe America is still the land of opportunity - little pink houses for you and me.

ChillinDuke
08-07-2012, 10:15 AM
I probably should have better explained my general ignorance of norms in BCS Conference Football programs. It surprised me that a program would allow a kid to participate whose only athletic track record was as a Golden Gloves boxer. Perhaps I have been swayed by the general perception that football is a technique driven, highly specialized sport requiring years of training to perform at a high level save for all but the most athletically gifted. Even 'Rudy' played high school football. If what you're telling me is that he's going to be a Rudy-like tackling dummy, I guess I still thought that required some form of basic skill set to avoid wasting everyone's time or hurting someone. I am glad that I am wrong as I very much believe America is still the land of opportunity - little pink houses for you and me.

It's my understanding that Coach Cut holds open tryouts for walk-ons once students are on campus. At least that was definitely the case when I was in school a few years ago.

Why is this different? The kid is a walk-on. Clearly, he has some sort of ability that the coaching staff believes is worth giving him a shot. What they see, I don't know. But if they thought he would be a detractor from Duke Football either on or off the field, I can say with near absolute assurance that he would not be on the team.

- Chillin

riddle me this
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
It's my understanding that Coach Cut holds open tryouts for walk-ons once students are on campus. At least that was definitely the case when I was in school a few years ago.

Why is this different? The kid is a walk-on. Clearly, he has some sort of ability that the coaching staff believes is worth giving him a shot. What they see, I don't know. But if they thought he would be a detractor from Duke Football either on or off the field, I can say with near absolute assurance that he would not be on the team.

- Chillin

In the past years very few kids come to the walk-on tryouts. Maybe 5 during my sophomore year. They were all about that size and none of them ever saw playing time. The bigger/better walk-ons actually start practicing earlier, usually because they establish a dialogue with the coaches as soon as they get into Duke. One of my good friends was a wide receiver and actually played in games (mostly on special teams) but he didn't go to these tryouts (where they take people that will almost certainly NEVER play). He walked on by talking to the coaches and sending in his football resume from high school (he did very well in a small town in Western NC).

The walk-ons that they take are very small guys, comparatively, but they contribute to the scout team (they are 2nd/3rd stringers even on the scout team) and they basically are bodies for the coaches to use on the field. They do it because they enjoy football, they get a lot of free gear and food, and they get to hang out with football players.

But, I hardly think that walk-ons are cause for much discussion, even if they are the son of a famous person. No, they did not take him because he was the son of a famous person. They take basically anyone who is decently athletic and has a good character.

I am very excited for Duke Football this year and I think we have the opportunity to impress some people and maybe even surprise some people! GO DUKE

airowe
08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Cutcliffe has been building the walk-on program at Duke since he got here. When he arrived in 2007, there was one. This article from Al Featherston in 2009 (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204779785) shows that number had risen to 16.

Will Snyderwine, Duke's All-American kicker in 2010 was a walk-on. Colin Willoughby expects to get some time in the kicking/punting game this year. Walk-on.

There are 103 players listed on Duke Football's current roster. Mellencamp (and other walk-ons) are not included. FBS schools can have 85 scholarship players. So, there are at least 19 walk-ons this season. Not all of these players are "athletes" you would think of as being Division 1 college football players.

jimsumner
08-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Cutcliffe has been building the walk-on program at Duke since he got here. When he arrived in 2007, there was one. This article from Al Featherston in 2009 (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204779785) shows that number had risen to 16.

Will Snyderwine, Duke's All-American kicker in 2010 was a walk-on. Colin Willoughby expects to get some time in the kicking/punting game this year. Walk-on.

There are 103 players listed on Duke Football's current roster. Mellencamp (and other walk-ons) are not included. FBS schools can have 85 scholarship players. So, there are at least 19 walk-ons this season. Not all of these players are "athletes" you would think of as being Division 1 college football players.

By my count, Duke has 26 walk-ons.

Most will never play a meaningful minute in a college game.

Kickers are exceptions. Not only was Snyderwine a walk-on, he was a walk-on with no football experience. Alex King was also a walk-on. Both made All-ACC. Imagine what Cut and his staff can do with top-5s, like Monday and Martin.

That said, I've heard good things about Jack (not Colin) Willoughby. Snyderwine and King beat out recruited kickers.

It's possible that WR Brandon Watkins--a Hillside guy--and NG Rob Shofner could take advantage of injuries to recruited players and see the field. But mostly these guys get seen--if, at all--in public scrimmages, the Spring Game, maybe a play or two at the end of a blow-out game.

But that doesn't mean their contributions should go unrecognized. They lift the same weights, run the same drills, learn the same plays as the recruited players. Shofner benches 390. Teddy Force has lost 60 pounds in an effort to reach a manageable playing weight. When injuries begain to deplete the roster and key guys need to be held out awhile, it's Emmanuel Watkins and Brendan Fowler and Jacques Bristow and Travis Gibson, et. al that enable Duke to run the kind of practices they couldn't run otherwise.

I can see that a large, state-supported school might reach a point where they have as many walk-ons as they can absorb. Duke is nowhere near that point. But Cut has made dramatic improvements to the walk-on program. If Hud Mellencamp wants to be part of that, come on down.

sagegrouse
08-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I can see that a large, state-supported school might reach a point where they have as many walk-ons as they can absorb. Duke is nowhere near that point. But Cut has made dramatic improvements to the walk-on program. If Hud Mellencamp wants to be part of that, come on down.

Jim et al.: I have a picture in my mind of finding big, raw-boned kids with athletic ability that are 6-4 or taller but don't carry the weight needed for Div I football. They may be 215 pounds or so but could reasonably carry 40-60 pounds more. They would receive some preference on admission and some promise of a scholarship if they develop as expected (with a lot of help from the strength coaches and the training table).

I think this is the Nebraska model. I have no idea whether this is pursued at Duke.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Jim et al.: I have a picture in my mind of finding big, raw-boned kids with athletic ability that are 6-4 or taller but don't carry the weight needed for Div I football. They may be 215 pounds or so but could reasonably carry 40-60 pounds more. They would receive some preference on admission and some promise of a scholarship if they develop as expected (with a lot of help from the strength coaches and the training table).

I think this is the Nebraska model. I have no idea whether this is pursued at Duke.

sagegrouse

I have a friend whose son did this at Wake. Got some burn on special teams, and by senior year got a scholarship.

I would hope we do the same.

jimsumner
08-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I have a friend whose son did this at Wake. Got some burn on special teams, and by senior year got a scholarship.

I would hope we do the same.

In a linguistic sense, the term "targeted walk-on" seems like an oxymoron.

But some of these walk-ons are targeted. A few years ago Duke had a DT named Tevin Hood, who played a decent amount as a non-scholarship freshman. Duke declined to extend a scholarship offer and Hood took his talents elsewhere.

There is a freshman LB named Ben Challgren who supposedly has some talent.

Duke's dilemma in this area is real, however.

Suppose you're a pretty good high school football players in Roxboro or Wilson or Rockingham. You get scholarship offers from D-2 schools, maybe a SoCon school like Western Carolina.

But you want to play in the ACC, you think you can and your parents are somewhat supportive (You want to do what?).

So. Do you walk-on at State or UNC, while your family absorbs manageable in-state tuition? Or do you give it a shot at Duke or Wake, while your family gets on a first-name basis with every bank loan-officer in your hometown?

This applies to other states, as well. Duke's walk-ons hail from California and Arkansas and Colorado and other states that have less expensive options to live out your dreams.

So, private schools like Duke are pushing the plow uphill here.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-07-2012, 02:09 PM
It would appear that the schools that play big boy football have large contingents of walk on players. If Duke is building up the number and quality, perhaps that's a good sign in the area of program development! Considering the talent which has emerged and developed among the walk on ranks since Coach Cutcliffe's arrival, I have trouble following the reasoning behind any faultfinding with this practice.

jafarr1
08-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Another example: Cutcliffe got Thomas Hennessy to Duke as a preferred walk-on this year. He's ranked a top-ten long snapper in the country by one service. He was considering walking on at Harvard or the like, so he was a great candidate for Duke to get as a preferred walk-on, as he is a great student (lists a 2220 SAT) from a strong high school whose family was already looking at a hefty tuition.