PDA

View Full Version : Duke Tour

jschleer
07-31-2012, 04:07 PM
I am planning a visit to the Duke campus at the end of Aug and have never been, any suggestions? THANK YOU.

sagegrouse
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I am planning a visit to the Duke campus at the end of Aug and have never been, any suggestions? THANK YOU.

What's the purpose of your visit? Prospective student? Parent of prospective student? Or tourist?

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
07-31-2012, 05:47 PM
If you are there over labor day, then go to the football game on Saturday the 1st.

jschleer
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
What's the purpose of your visit? Prospective student? Parent of prospective student? Or tourist?

sagegrouse

Thank you the reply. Parent of prospective student and tourist. Does the school have scheduled tours? If so, do you know the schedule. Also, is there tours of Cameron and the Basketball Museum?

THANKS!

-jk
08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Tours are arranged through the admissions office.

http://admissions.duke.edu/setting/plantrip

-jk

sagegrouse
08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Thank you the reply. Parent of prospective student and tourist. Does the school have scheduled tours? If so, do you know the schedule. Also, is there tours of Cameron and the Basketball Museum?

THANKS!

The best place to start is to attend an information session at the Admissions Office. This is immediately followed by a student-led campus tour. Go to the www.duke.edu site and search for "campus tours." The guide should have other information on tours. In my experience (a few years old, to be sure), Cameron is usually open, and the basketball exhibits are adjacent to the concourse of Cameron. Some of the newer athletic facilities can be accessed only with a pass card. (And good luck in getting up to Coach K's office!)

Don't miss the library, the Divinity School Chapel, the Nasher Art Museum (on Campus Drive) and East Campus (the Georgian campus two miles away on Campus Drive).

If you can swing it, you might want to stay at the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, which is as close at it gets to a five-star hostelry. The Wash Duke is about a five-minute walk from Cameron. And from Cameron, you can walk through the Gothic portals into the clock tower quadrangle and then on to the main quad.

sagegrouse
'Sounds like fun. I first saw the campus as a HS senior -- and it was in the midst of a snowstorm that dropped at least a foot on Duke. I think it snowed a foot -- in total -- the four winters I was on campus. Talk about deceptive advertising!'

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-01-2012, 10:56 AM

THANKS!

Visiting the Chapel is an important part of the experience of being on the Duke campus. The stonework and windows are particularly noteworthy as are the pipe organs.

If you're on campus on a weekday afternoon, make a point of being on the main quad or in the Chapel to enjoy the carillon concert which occurs at 5P. Friday concerts feature our Alma Mater in addition to the ever changing selections which reflect the liturgical season and world events. The carillon has been played by the same person for decades. Here's some background on the carillon and Sam Hammond, the unpaid musician who brings it to life.
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/hammond-offers-duke-daily-carol-bells

jimsumner
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Find some time to walk through the Duke Gardens, on West Campus.

jschleer
08-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Tours are arranged through the admissions office.

http://admissions.duke.edu/setting/plantrip

-jk

This is exactly what I was looking for, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I already made an appointment.

jschleer
08-01-2012, 11:46 AM
The best place to start is to attend an information session at the Admissions Office. This is immediately followed by a student-led campus tour. Go to the www.duke.edu site and search for "campus tours." The guide should have other information on tours. In my experience (a few years old, to be sure), Cameron is usually open, and the basketball exhibits are adjacent to the concourse of Cameron. Some of the newer athletic facilities can be accessed only with a pass card. (And good luck in getting up to Coach K's office!)

Don't miss the library, the Divinity School Chapel, the Nasher Art Museum (on Campus Drive) and East Campus (the Georgian campus two miles away on Campus Drive).

If you can swing it, you might want to stay at the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, which is as close at it gets to a five-star hostelry. The Wash Duke is about a five-minute walk from Cameron. And from Cameron, you can walk through the Gothic portals into the clock tower quadrangle and then on to the main quad.

sagegrouse
'Sounds like fun. I first saw the campus as a HS senior -- and it was in the midst of a snowstorm that dropped at least a foot on Duke. I think it snowed a foot -- in total -- the four winters I was on campus. Talk about deceptive advertising!'

Thanks for the info. You have been great.

nmduke2001
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
On my visit, I stopped by the Chapel. As I was leaving, I stopped to talk to woman at the desk near the entrance. She was a nun from the divinity school. We chatted about the history of the Chapel. I asked her if it was possible to get to the top. She said yes and promptly took me to an elevator the size of a phone booth and took me up. We stayed there for about 15 minutes. The views of the campus from up there are amazing.

I'm not sure if you will be able to get to the top of the Chapel, but the worst they can say is no. Trust me, it is worth asking.

cspan37421
08-01-2012, 01:40 PM
On my visit, I stopped by the Chapel. As I was leaving, I stopped to talk to woman at the desk near the entrance. She was a nun from the divinity school.

I would be interested in learning more about the nuns at Duke's divinity school. I was unaware that there were nuns in the United Methodist tradition.

Pretty cool that you got to see the view; I get back to Duke once or twice a year and I've never known the elevator to be open to the public.

nmduke2001
08-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I would be interested in learning more about the nuns at Duke's divinity school. I was unaware that there were nuns in the United Methodist tradition.

Pretty cool that you got to see the view; I get back to Duke once or twice a year and I've never known the elevator to be open to the public.

She was probably from the Newman Center. I didn't get into her religious affiliation as I didn't know that it would be a point of conversation 15 years later on an internet message board.

Not sure that it is open to the public unless a cool nun takes you up.

taiw93
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
For you son or daughter's sake, I also strongly recommend you take a look at East Campus, where all the freshmen live. We Duke tour guides only include West Campus in our tours, and Duke's first-year campus could be an important factor for your prospective student to consider.

jschleer
08-02-2012, 08:47 AM
On my visit, I stopped by the Chapel. As I was leaving, I stopped to talk to woman at the desk near the entrance. She was a nun from the divinity school. We chatted about the history of the Chapel. I asked her if it was possible to get to the top. She said yes and promptly took me to an elevator the size of a phone booth and took me up. We stayed there for about 15 minutes. The views of the campus from up there are amazing.

I'm not sure if you will be able to get to the top of the Chapel, but the worst they can say is no. Trust me, it is worth asking.

Thanks!

jschleer
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Were is the best place to park for a campus tour?

airowe
08-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Depends on when you're going. On non-Sundays and days without events at the Chapel, I'd try to park right in front of it. It's about the only free spot left.

Read this: http://parking.duke.edu/parking/visitor_parking/index.php

jschleer
08-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Depends on when you're going. On non-Sundays and days without events at the Chapel, I'd try to park right in front of it. It's about the only free spot left.

I have a tour scheduled for Monday, Aug 27th.

jschleer
08-07-2012, 04:28 PM
depends on when you're going. On non-sundays and days without events at the chapel, i'd try to park right in front of it. It's about the only free spot left.

thanks!!!

cspan37421
08-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Are you sure about that? I've been back many times and it was my impression that access to those spots is tightly controlled, and generally not available to visitors. Maybe VIPs, contractors, official business, etc., but not visitors touring.

I could be wrong ... but I would not count on those spots, even if they were open.

hughgs
08-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I have a tour scheduled for Monday, Aug 27th.

Classes are in session, but it's the beginning of the semester so general parking isn't as strict as the middle of the semester.

Personally, I think it's best to park in either the Green Zone by the Pascal Field House (football) on West Campus or to park close to East Campus. Either way you'll have a 5-10 minute walk to get to things. And if you're headed over to other side you'll probably want to take the bus from the Chapel.

I would figure out what areas I wanted to see most and park on that side of campus. Then, you can start by visiting the other side and when you get tired you're car will be closer. Since you've already got an appointment, maybe you could arrive early, park on West, visit East campus, then get back in time to hit the tour. Since the tour stays on West you'll be that much closer to the car at the end.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Check with the personnel responsible for scheduling tours. There may be areas designated for those taking scheduled tours.

airowe
08-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Are you sure about that? I've been back many times and it was my impression that access to those spots is tightly controlled, and generally not available to visitors. Maybe VIPs, contractors, official business, etc., but not visitors touring.

I could be wrong ... but I would not count on those spots, even if they were open.

Yep. I do a lot of work in Perkins Library and park in the circle right in front of the chapel all the time. Those spots aren't available on Sundays (church) or if there's an event in the chapel.

OldPhiKap
08-07-2012, 09:43 PM

When I took my kids a few years ago, I told them about how we would order Domino's pizza to be delivered to the top of the chapel (free if not delivered in half an hour, or some such). I tried to take my kids to the top and was told that it has been closed to the public for 10 or 15 years.

Made me feel really old.

In any event, have a great trip!!!!!! -- OPK

sagegrouse
08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
My default is always the Bryan Center, which is a two-minute walk from the Chapel and about ten minutes at most from the Admissions Office at the circle.

And, of course, if you are staying at the Wash Duke per my recommendation, just walk over from there.

sagegrouse

BlueDevil16
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Parking is free my the admissions office, there isn't a ton of it but you can park there