PDA

View Full Version : MBB Analyst Carousel - Gottlieb to CBS; Pearl, Greenberg to ESPN

Dev11
07-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Doug Gottlieb is taking his alarmingly uninformed analysis to CBS Sports and ESPN has hired former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl and former VPI coach Seth Greenberg as analysts.

Lots of articles, here's one: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/31/with-doug-gottlieb-leaving-espn-hires-bruce-pearl-and-seth-greenberg-as-analysts/

Chicago 1995
07-31-2012, 12:10 PM
I would have rather Bruce Pearl been out of work longer. Cheating hypocrite.

He's a heck of a coach, but he's pretty clearly a slimeball.

Duvall
07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
I would have rather Bruce Pearl been out of work longer. Cheating hypocrite.

He's a heck of a coach, but he's pretty clearly a slimeball.

But to his credit, he's also not Doug Gottlieb or Seth Greenberg.

BD80
07-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Considering Pearl's displays of "enthusiasm" with female cheerleaders when he was in an ostensibly demure role as a head basketball coach, one can only imagine the level of his antics in his new role as "TV personality" as he tries to outdo Dickie V in pandering to college fans.

hurleyfor3
07-31-2012, 01:05 PM
And in case anyone missed it, Erin Andrews is now with Fox.

Bluedog
07-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Also, Jalen Rose is now an analyst for ESPN's College GameDay, taking the spot of the departing Hubert Davis (who is becoming an assistant coach at UNC). They just announced it yesterday. If you thought the Duke hate was bad coming from Hubert, you're in for a rude awakening when Jalen takes over...

Monmouth77
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
And in case anyone missed it, Erin Andrews is now with Fox.

I am pretty sure she was always a Fox.

Chicago 1995
07-31-2012, 02:27 PM
But to his credit, he's also not Doug Gottlieb or Seth Greenberg.

I'd gladly take either Seth or Doug instead of Pearl.

Pearl knows more about basketball than either of the two of them, but his ethical shortcomings are too much for me to overlook. Pearl's wiretapping of Deon Thomas and ratting Illinois out to the NCAA may be a distant memory to most, but it isn't to me, and when yout think of the image Pearl built for himself as he struggled to get a DI job -- poor Bruce paying the price for doing the right thing -- only to have things end as they did with the NCAA was sweet justice, I'll admit. I just don't need to see him on my TV talking about basketball.

Duvall
07-31-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd gladly take either Seth or Doug instead of Pearl.

Pearl knows more about basketball than either of the two of them, but his ethical shortcomings are too much for me to overlook. Pearl's wiretapping of Deon Thomas and ratting Illinois out to the NCAA may be a distant memory to most, but it isn't to me, and when yout think of the image Pearl built for himself as he struggled to get a DI job -- poor Bruce paying the price for doing the right thing -- only to have things end as they did with the NCAA was sweet justice, I'll admit. I just don't need to see him on my TV talking about basketball.

And yet those of us without ties to the University of Illinois may nonetheless find him less annoying than the other obnoxious boors now polluting the airwaves.

Chicago 1995
07-31-2012, 03:36 PM
And yet those of us without ties to the University of Illinois may nonetheless find him less annoying than the other obnoxious boors now polluting the airwaves.

You might very well, I'm suggesting you shouldn't. And I guess I'm warning you to be careful what you wish for.

Bojangles4Eva
07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
I actually like Gottlieb, I would rather take him on Gameday than Rose. Some weird part of me likes the cynicism he brings to the announcer/analyst booth (a-la Billy Packer), and occasionally he provides really good bball insight. He did say that Duke was "alarmingly unathletic" in '10, but that didn't really bother me because analysts make uninformed comments like that all the time.

If I could have my druthers, I would have wanted Greg Anthony to move over from CBS and do Gameday, but oh well....

jimsumner
07-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Also, Jalen Rose is now an analyst for ESPN's College GameDay, taking the spot of the departing Hubert Davis (who is becoming an assistant coach at UNC). They just announced it yesterday. If you thought the Duke hate was bad coming from Hubert, you're in for a rude awakening when Jalen takes over...

I never got that much Duke hate from Hubert.

Now Stuart Scott or Kenny Smith? Different story.

DukieTiger
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM

Kenny Smith is the absolute worst. Highly, highly obnoxious.

Des Esseintes
07-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Kenny Smith is the absolute worst. Highly, highly obnoxious.

Smith is sometimes legitimately funny. That goes a long way with me. And I join with those who've never had much problem with Hubert Davis. On the other hand, the appearance onscreen of the huge doofy doofpanda that is Stuart Scott and his always-18-months-behind-the-curve hip-hop references...

sagegrouse
07-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Smith is sometimes legitimately funny. That goes a long way with me. And I join with those who've never had much problem with Hubert Davis. On the other hand, the appearance onscreen of the huge doofy doofpanda that is Stuart Scott and his always-18-months-behind-the-curve hip-hop references...

Kenny Smith: "Mike Dunleavy is six-nine? How did he get to be six-nine? How tall is his father? Five-eleven?"

sage

mkline09
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
CBS Sports just became alarmingly unathletic.

elvis14
07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Some interesting changes. Here are my thoughts:

Glad to have Hubert Davis or any UNC@CH guy off the air. Take that idiot Kenny Smith with you. Stuart Scott...I remember when he used to be funny (and less of a homer because he was the new guy).
Looking forward to hearing Bruce Pearl (not to worried about NCAA violations with announcers)
I wonder if Seth will be more likable as a commentator than he was as a coach because I couldn't be more apathetic about him as an announcer
Erin Andrews is a fox and will be right at home on Fox
Gottlieb should do less damage to Duke when he's hating us on CBS once a week instead of on ESPN every other day. CBS just got alarmingly idiotic!
Jalen Rose, how many times did he beat Duke? Ah yeah, I could do without that guy too!
Jay Bilas, now there's a guy who knows what he's talking about. Now if we could just get him to be more of a Duke homer :-)
Dickie V baby! A PTPer!!! He loves the Diaper Dandy's. Oh I remember when I saw him announce back in 6th grade. Even back then you just tell that he had a big mouth for ..... (just because)

licc85
07-31-2012, 10:27 PM

I agree, Hubert Davis was actually one of my favorite analysts, I always thought he was fair in his analysis and he was a pretty funny/jovial guy, and had some great chemistry with Bilas on top of that. I'm pretty anti-Digger Phelps, and I'm absolutely appalled that Rose is Hubert's replacement, I cannot stand him . . . college gameday might not be watchable this year for me. Definitely opting to channel surf during halftime.

Sir Stealth
08-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Jalen Rose for Hubert Davis is a downgrade in my book.

weezie
08-01-2012, 07:06 AM
I'll kinda miss Hubert's silly laugh. I'd venture Bilas will find it tiresome to banter w/Rose. Maybe Bobby Knight will get fed up and smack Jalen in the head with a frying pan. Maybe Jalen will duck, fall off his chair, knock himself more senseless and Digger will take the pan to the dome instead.
A girl can dream.........

CDu
08-01-2012, 08:31 AM
college gameday might not be watchable this year for me. Definitely opting to channel surf during halftime.

I think it might actually be even MORE watchable (at least for a little while) just to see how uncomfortable it gets with Rose and Bilas, Knight, and Phelps. That could be must-see TV.

sagegrouse
08-01-2012, 08:34 AM
I think it might actually be even MORE watchable (at least for a little while) just to see how uncomfortable it gets with Rose and Bilas, Knight, and Phelps. That could be must-see TV.

Jalen Rose is getting better with more experience. It is clear ESPN has been grooming him for a bigger role. IIRC (and there is always a first time) he has taken the mike for one of the Mikes on Mike and Mike. He just needs to stay loose, try to be funny, and let Bobby Knight be the heavy.

sage

brevity
01-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Bumping up this thread to see what people think of Seth Greenberg's first season so far as a college basketball analyst on ESPN.

Personally, I think he picked the right network. Lots of noise during the regular season, then nowhere to be found when March Madness starts.

gep
01-23-2013, 01:20 AM
For me... his best quote (something like this, anyway).... "Duke was in the bonus by the time we got off the bus"... I'll never forget that one:cool:

throatybeard
01-23-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm still crying myself to sleep at night over EA's defection to Fox.

uh_no
01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Bumping up this thread to see what people think of Seth Greenberg's first season so far as a college basketball analyst on ESPN.

Personally, I think he picked the right network. Lots of noise during the regular season, then nowhere to be found when March Madness starts.

Thank goodness for that. Frankly I can't stand him, and hearing the things he says on air and online makes me understand why his teams never made the tournament (i.e. were bad). All he cares about are wins and records....didn't care that arizona had close games against crappy teams, they were undefeated....and he still holds their 1 loss record as the #3 team in the nation, despite it being clear that they have scraped out several teams against teams they should have trashed.....oh welll.....

unfortunately, we WILL have to listen to kellog, who only saves himself from being as wrong as greenberg by spewing verbiage which contains absolutely no meaning....

"they're going to have to score more points than kentucky the rest of the way to win this one" -clark kellog on UL when they were losing to UK in the final 4

Dev11
01-23-2013, 12:41 PM
I agree that Greenberg hasn't been great on ESPN, but I will say that I've listened to a few snippets of Gottlieb on CBS, and he is a lot better when he doesn't have the ESPN agenda being shoved down his throat.

That said, I much prefer some of the other CBS guys. If you don't listen to the weekly podcast with Norlander, Parrish, and Goodman, you're missing out.