PDA

View Full Version : This Is Insane: Eighth-Grader Commits

burnspbesq
07-26-2012, 11:11 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8200394/quarterback-tate-martell-14-commits-washington-huskies

Jderf
07-26-2012, 11:34 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8200394/quarterback-tate-martell-14-commits-washington-huskies

Anyone want to take bets on when he decommits? The funny thing is, by committing so early, he probably just got himself onto the recruiting radar of a whole slew of other schools.

Bob Green
07-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Same as Taylor King and we all know how that worked out.

oldnavy
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Isn't there a rule or shouldn't there be a rule about how soon colleges can have contact with these kids????

I would think banning colleges from contacting kids before their sophomore year in HS would be reasonable.

The scouts could watch them from Pop Warner on up if they wanted to, but only initiate contact after they have played one year in HS, so maybe contact at beginning of sophomore year...

cspan37421
07-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Does it really have any meaning? According to the article, UW can't offer something in writing until Sept 1 of the kid's senior season (> 4 yrs from now) and the kid can't sign an LOI for another 4.5 years.

The kid's willingness to "commit" and UW's willingness to "offer" a scholarship tells something about each of the parties, and in my view, it's not all good, not by a longshot.

SupaDave
07-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Well, I can see WHY they offered. This is nothing new...

Almost every major college program recruited Marinovich who, as a high school freshman, began getting letters from Stanford...

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Classic comment at bottom of page:

"Steve Sarkisian passed Tate a note in class asking whether he "like liked" Washington or just liked them."

By the way, wonder if he is related to all-star QB Eddie Martell?:p

Cameron
07-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Same as Taylor King and we all know how that worked out.

Remarkably well for Concordia.

I did love me some King Taylor in the very beginning, though. The 15 and 5 triples he put up on a ranked Wisconsin squad were beautiful. He made end-of-half prayers look like reverse layups. Taylor had perhaps the most effortless range of any player ever at Duke, including J.J. Redick. The kid had the tools; he just didn't have the drive needed to utilize them for whatever reason.

SupaDave
07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Remarkably well for Concordia.

I did love me some King Taylor in the very beginning, though. The 15 and 5 triples he put up on a ranked Wisconsin squad were beautiful. He made end-of-half prayers look like reverse layups. Taylor had perhaps the most effortless range of any player ever at Duke, including J.J. Redick. The kid had the tools; he just didn't have the drive needed to utilize them for whatever reason.

That's cause he never went past the three point line. :)

dcdevil2009
07-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Classic comment at bottom of page:

"Steve Sarkisian passed Tate a note in class asking whether he "like liked" Washington or just liked them."

By the way, wonder if he is related to all-star QB Eddie Martell?:p

You mean the All-Pro quarterback with two Super Bowl rings? The real question is who was the better college quarterback between Shane Falco and Johnny Utah.

Cameron
07-30-2012, 03:18 PM
That's cause he never went past the three point line. :)

I call it Moonlight Graham syndrome. And I definitely had it when I played ball as well. :)