PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Summer Olympics

Dukefan1.0
07-25-2012, 06:05 PM
I did not see a thread for the games outside the basketball team so I started this one, if there is one already made that I missed mods please move it.

Well the Olympics started today with Soccer(football) playing group stages for the women along with Archery I believe. Opening Ceremony produced by Danny Boyle is scheduled for July 27th to officially begin the Games of the XXX Olympiad. Here is the a link to the entire 530 member team of the US Olympic roster http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8154722/2012-summer-olympics-complete-team-usa-roster-london-olympics .

The USA should perform well in Swimming with Phil Lochte along with a few Aussies challenging Phelps who is in his last Olympic run.

Track & Field will probably feature a dog fight in the Sprints between the USA and Jamaica, with Liu Xiang from China hoping to live up to the enormous expectations in 110 hurdles after his shocking false start in 2008. Hopefully Bernard Lagat puts in a good performance since he has not won an international outdoor since the World Championships in Osaka in 2007. Dennis Bowsher is the only American man competing in the Pentathlon with Margaux Isaksen and
Suzanne Stettinius in the women's event. The Decathlon is highlighted by Ashton Eaton who set the world record in Eugene, and is likely to be in the spotlight since defending gold medalist Bryan Clay failed to qualify.

These are just some of the events that are I'm interested in, if you have another one share who you're cheering for, or amazing athletes you're watching from other countries share them here.

sue71, esq
07-25-2012, 11:07 PM
I <3 the Olympics. I will watch pretty much any of the events. :D

Mal
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Go, Conor Dwyer! Swimming the 400 free and 4x200 free relay. His mom is my kids' swim instructor.

CDu
07-26-2012, 11:11 PM
I did not see a thread for the games outside the basketball team so I started this one, if there is one already made that I missed mods please move it.

Well the Olympics started today with Soccer(football) playing group stages for the women along with Archery I believe. Opening Ceremony produced by Danny Boyle is scheduled for July 27th to officially begin the Games of the XXX Olympiad. Here is the a link to the entire 530 member team of the US Olympic roster http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8154722/2012-summer-olympics-complete-team-usa-roster-london-olympics .

The USA should perform well in Swimming with Phil Lochte along with a few Aussies challenging Phelps who is in his last Olympic run.

Track & Field will probably feature a dog fight in the Sprints between the USA and Jamaica, with Liu Xiang from China hoping to live up to the enormous expectations in 110 hurdles after his shocking false start in 2008. Hopefully Bernard Lagat puts in a good performance since he has not won an international outdoor since the World Championships in Osaka in 2007. Dennis Bowsher is the only American man competing in the Pentathlon with Margaux Isaksen and
Suzanne Stettinius in the women's event. The Decathlon is highlighted by Ashton Eaton who set the world record in Eugene, and is likely to be in the spotlight since defending gold medalist Bryan Clay failed to qualify.

These are just some of the events that are I'm interested in, if you have another one share who you're cheering for, or amazing athletes you're watching from other countries share them here.

Just an FYI - it is Ryan Lochte, not Phil.

DukieInKansas
07-27-2012, 12:03 AM
I <3 the Olympics. I will watch pretty much any of the events. :D

I agree. I try to see a bit of each sport during the Olympics. During the last Summer Olympics, I discovered that trampoline was an Olympic sport. Who knew?

sagegrouse
07-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Will Al Roker please STAND UP. She towers over him.

sagegrouse

Tom B.
07-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I try to see a bit of each sport during the Olympics. During the last Summer Olympics, I discovered that trampoline was an Olympic sport. Who knew?

I may have mentioned this before, but my brother and I have developed a hypothesis that it's possible to find a quote or excerpt from The Simpsons for any topic or occasion that one might encounter. With that in mind, I give you:

Trambampoline! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh5knx1Bt64&feature=related)

UrinalCake
07-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know if the Olympics are being streamed online anywhere? NBC's main page will only give you access if you're also paying for cable TV service. For our TV-less household I'd hate to miss out on the Games completely.

DukieInKansas
07-27-2012, 11:59 PM
The lighting of the caldron was very cool!

Dukefan1.0
07-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Did not blow my mind like Beijing's opening ceremony, where the countdown alone with the drums made me look on with awe, or as sentimental as Ali lighting the cauldron in Atlanta in '96 shaking from Parkinson's. Still very good, seemed random at times with the music history, along with other parts where I was confused for a minute, but my favorite part was during the industrial setting where the steel mills were forming the rings that looked like hot steel when the rose to combine the rings. I had a beef when they were referencing British authors they did not reference Tolkien at all, unless I missed it. Other than that and the parts where I got lost/confused it was enjoyable. I'll admit I welled up a little seeing Muhammad Ali when the Olympic flag was brought to him :o.

Edit. I was disappointed that Derek Redmond did not light the cauldron, the idea of the cauldron was cool though.

A-Tex Devil
07-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Had prior engagement and just got home to watch it. The Frank and June thing could have been awful, and probably was to anyone under 25 or older than 45, but I loved it. Plus adding the "Forever Blowing Bubbles" since the show was on the East End was a nice touch. I loved that part of the ceremonies. And.. and... and... Dizzee Rascal gets to make an appearance? That would be like the Atlanta games circa 1996 letting Outkast play.... in 1996. Billy Payne would have never let that happen. Badass.

Oh..... and Arctic Monkeys!!!

AtlBluRew
07-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Had prior engagement and just got home to watch it. The Frank and June thing could have been awful, and probably was to anyone under 25 or older than 45, but I loved it. Plus adding the "Forever Blowing Bubbles" since the show was on the East End was a nice touch. I loved that part of the ceremonies. And.. and... and... Dizzee Rascal gets to make an appearance? That would be like the Atlanta games circa 1996 letting Outkast play.... in 1996. Billy Payne would have never let that happen. Badass.

Oh..... and Arctic Monkeys!!!

LOL I am 51, and hated the Frank and June thing.

I liked the beginning, with the smokestacks. I thought that the bit with the Queen was great. I don't enjoy Mr. Bean but can appreciate the display of British humor. The children thing was a nice tribute to the cultural contribution of authors but the interjection of the NHS tribute seemed forced. I loved the arrival of the torch, the young athletes, and the lighting of the beautiful cauldron.

sagegrouse
07-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Here's what I have so far. Channels listed are DirecTV. Ummm.... consult your local cable listings.

NBC
Bravo (237)
CNBC (355)
MSNBC (356)
Telemundo (406)
NBC Sports (603) -- formerly Versus
Olympic Soccer (751)
Olympic Basketball (752)
DirecTV Sports Mix (205 and 600)

sagegrouse

Olympic Fan
07-28-2012, 12:07 PM
I very much enjoyed the opening ceremonies -- I thought it was a clever mix of history and spectacle. I very much liked the forging of the rings ... I thought the entrance of the Queen was hilarious and caught me totally by surprise (I'm thinking, well, they shot a clever setup with Craig to lead into the helicopter with the queen landing ... then I'm thinking, 'There appear to be cables all over the top of the stadium, can they get down safely?' ... When the 84-year-old queen jumps, I was shocked -- and, yes, I know it was a double).

I thought the children's stuff was okay -- although I wonder how many Americans took that salute to National Health Care -- I see where Duke fan1.0 was upset that they left out Tolkien. I understand (although with that literature, it's hard to include everything). But the point is that the segment was honoring literature that appears to children -- and I think Tolkien was writing for a slightly older audience. Leaving out Milne might be a bigger crime I(or did I miss an appearance by Pooh?).

I agree that Rowan Atkinson can be a little hard to take, but using him during the Vangelis anthem (written for a movie about one of the great moments in British Olympic history) was a brilliant idea.

I was on the fence about the Frank and June segement until Frank opens his shirt and showed that he was wearing a "Frankie Says Relax" tee-shirt. THAT was a clever reference ..m I wonder if the Queen got that one?

I enjoyed the parade of nation's for a change ... as Bob Costas pointed out, it moved swiftly -- so swiftly that he and Lauer didn't have time to bombard us with too much trivia. Although they did leave out the one bit of opening ceremony trivia that I thought was appropriate for London and the Queen. The opening ceremonies used to be a lot more formal and in the 1908 London Olympics, the nations paraded past King Edward, respectfully dipping their flag. But the US flag was carried by an Irish-American, who refused to dip his flag to the King. He later said, "This flag dips to no earthly king." His action became a tradition and for years, the American flag was one flag that wasn't dipped to the host monarch or leader. Which led to a proud moment in Berlin, when alone among nations, the US flag didn't dip to Adolph Hitler!

Enjoyed the spectacle of the flag-raising ceremony , although I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have seen one of Britain's great athletes -- Roger Bannister or Daley Thompson would have been my choice. Still, the effect of all the leaves and the transformation of them into the cauldron was nicely done.

I thought it was touching that Sir Paul got a little choked up as he started Hey, Jude ...

Overall, I was impressed ... not perfect, but great start to the 2012 games -- better to me than the Beijing spectacular (more heart). I still rate the Atlanta opening No. 1 (maybe because of the stunningly emotional surprise when Muhammad Ali stepped out of the darkness to light the flame.

Looking forward to a great two weeks!

PS: Anybody else notice the appearance by Grant Hill ... standings beside Michelle Obama during the parade of nations?

Dukefan1.0
07-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Well the USA Men's archery team missed out on a gold to the Italians who hit a ten on their last shot. Lochte won gold blowing out Phelps who finished 4th in the 400IM who looks like he's was not in shape for such a brutal race and should have dropped this event instead of the 200 freestyle. I ended up watching women's volleyball somehow ;) as the USA Women's volleyball team beat a stingy South Korea team.

China has four gold medals as of now from Sun Yang in the 400m freestyle, Ye Shiwen in the women's 400im individual medley, Yi Siling in the 10m Air Rifle, and Wang Mingjuan in the women's weightlifting. Along with two bronze medals from the women's 400im medley, and 10m Air Rifle.

Other countries with more than one medal include,
Australia won the women's 4 x 100m freestyle relay

The USA obtained the bronze in the women's 4 x 100m freestyle relay and silver from Elizabeth Beisel in the women's 400im medley.

Italy has won the gold, silver and bronze in women's fencing, and the silver in the 10m pistol

Brazil obtained gold in women's judo, bronze in men's judo, and silver in the men's 400im medley.

South Korea won gold in the 10m pistol, silver in the men's 400m freestyle, and surprisingly only obtaining bronze in archery.

Japan obtained silver in men's judo and women's weightlifting, while securing the bronze in the men's 400im medley.

here's a link to follow the medal count for sports the are not televised http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/medals/_/view/overall

sue71, esq
07-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I ended up watching women's volleyball somehow ;) as the USA Women's volleyball team beat a stingy South Korea team.

So did I, as I caught that Karch Kiraly is the US Asst. Coach. Sigh. :o :D

moonpie23
07-28-2012, 11:29 PM
NBC is getting hammered on twitter and FB for not showing the 400 im mens until tonight......lots of folks are commenting on how antiquated the nbc broadcast is in today's world...

what do y'all think? has twitter become the number 1 news source on the planet?

sue71, esq
07-29-2012, 01:06 AM
NBC is getting hammered on twitter and FB for not showing the 400 im mens until tonight......lots of folks are commenting on how antiquated the nbc broadcast is in today's world...

NBC claimed that viewers would be able to watch the "big" events live, with a delayed replay in prime time. Maybe it's just me, but I'd consider swimming finals, especially with both Phelps & Lochte, to be a "big" event.

Day 1 and they're already caught lying. Awesome. :mad:

sue71, esq
07-29-2012, 01:16 AM
To add insult to injury, NBC's primetime (delayed) coverage sucks. And it's the first night of competition. Oh joy. :mad:

Dukefan1.0
07-29-2012, 01:32 AM

Yeah the amazing thing is that it is 2012 and NBC is stuck in 1992 with its delayed coverage of the Olympics :confused: , we had to suffer through this in 2008, 2010, and again now. The NBC executives whether through stupidity, ignorance or both they do not seem to grasp the fact that through social media/sites like ESPN that provide instant results/news delayed coverage has simply outlived its usefulness.

sue71, esq
07-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Haha, just came across this (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/28/nbc-michael-phelps/?hpt=hp_t1) article. Some of the highlights:

I hadn't realized this happened, as I already knew the outcome and didn't watch the news. But this is *really* special:

Later, fans hit the broadcaster a second time — for NBC News revealing the outcome of the race before airing the taped coverage. “So bizarre!” tweeted author Will Bunch. “NBC won’t show Lochte-Phelps live at 2:30, but it’s lead story on 6:30 Nightly News w/ no spoiler alert #nbcfail.”

Of course, complaining about major Olympic events being delayed until primetime is practically its own sport... “The world has changed,” one sports fan wrote on Twitter. “This tape delay thing doesn’t work anymore.”

NBC earns higher rates from advertisers by airing the day’s biggest events in primetime, when more viewers are likely to tune in. The network claimed Saturday that its tape-delay strategy was already paying off, with ratings for the Opening Ceremony drawing its biggest audience ever for a summer telecast... Of course, the multi-hour pageantry of the Opening Ceremony isn’t quite the same as the outcome of a highly anticipated race. I mean, really — spoiler alert, there are fireworks. (emphasis mine :) )

Atlanta Duke
07-29-2012, 07:51 AM
China has four gold medals as of now from Sun Yang in the 400m freestyle, Ye Shiwen in the women's 400im individual medley, Yi Siling in the 10m Air Rifle, and Wang Mingjuan in the women's weightlifting. Along with two bronze medals from the women's 400im medley, and 10m Air Rifle.

Ye Shiwen is 16 years old and appears to be a cut above the other women

16-year-old Ye Shiwen smashed the world record in the women’s 400 individual medley by more than a second: all the more remarkable because she swam the last 50 meters in a faster time than the new men’s 400 I.M. champion, Ryan Lochte, swam his last 50 meters....

What was also striking about Ye’s record swim of 4 minutes 28.43 seconds was that she managed it in a textile suit while the record she broke — Stephanie Rice’s 4:29.45 — was set in the age of polyester suits and serial record breaking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/sports/olympics/yang-sun-of-china-wins-400-free.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Rogue
07-29-2012, 12:24 PM
I wish NBC would follow ESPN's THE OPEN ( British ) format, of showing the sport LIVE, for those interested in watching,, then showing it again in prime time for advertisers.. So silly to give "race hype" when we all knew the results.

Dukefan1.0
07-29-2012, 01:58 PM
The United States picked up another gold medal in the women's skeet from Kimberly Rhodes, along with a silver in women's synchronized springboard dive from Kelci Bryant and Duke athlete Abby Johnston.

Surprise in women's gymnastics as Jordan Wieber failed to qualify for the women's all-around competition. Ryan Lochte qualified in the men's 200m freestyle semi-final, but faces stiff competition from 400m winner Sun and 400m runner-up Park Tae-Hwan with world record holder Biedermann finishing 10th in qualifying. The men's volleyball team, which for some reason I was not as interested in watching as I was the women :D, beat Serbia in three sets.

Jarhead
07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
I wish NBC would follow ESPN's THE OPEN ( British ) format, of showing the sport LIVE, for those interested in watching,, then showing it again in prime time for advertisers.. So silly to give "race hype" when we all knew the results.

This morning, I watched the basketball game between France and the USA in which USA was the winner by a pretty good Margin. It was shown live by the NBC Sports cable channel. There are several channels showing live action just about all day long. Try MSNBC, CNBC and NBC Sports. Also, Try the NBC Olympics (http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/index.html#ste) site for a complete schedule rundown. The prime time NBC Network schedule should only be showing recaps of the day's action, which is the best they can do. They don't have to play it as they did last night, promising no spoilers. Just tell it like it is, as somebody once said.

sue71, esq
07-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Someone made a parody account on Twitter: @NBCDelayed (http://twitter.com/NBCDelayed)

snowdenscold
07-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Which do you all prefer: The 1984 Olympics Theme or the 1996 Olympics Theme ("Summon the Heroes")? I have noticed the latter played exclusively at these games.

Is there any particular reason for that? Is it a decision that "here's the new one for awhile, we're retiring the old one" or what? Is there not room for both?

1984: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdOFgDQIn0

1996: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp476_XEhC0

Tom B.
07-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Which do you all prefer: The 1984 Olympics Theme or the 1996 Olympics Theme ("Summon the Heroes")? I have noticed the latter played exclusively at these games.

Is there any particular reason for that? Is it a decision that "here's the new one for awhile, we're retiring the old one" or what? Is there not room for both?

I've heard both at different times. John Williams wrote both of them, so either way it's more $$$ in his pocket.

Trivia: Did you know that the music that's widely known as the "Olympic theme" -- the timpani and brass piece that ABC and NBC have been using for their Olympic coverage for, like, forever -- was actually not written for the Olympics? It's a piece called "Bugler's Dream" that was written in 1958 by a French composer named Leo Arnaud (he emigrated to the U.S. in the 1930s and worked in Hollywood for over 40 years). ABC started using it for their Olympic coverage in the 1960s, and it's been associated with the Olympics ever since, with one small break. When NBC took over the Olympic coverage in 1988, they used different music for the Seoul games, but went back to "Bugler's Dream" for the Barcelona games in 1992.

killerleft
07-30-2012, 12:52 PM

I think that many of us who can remember the ABC telecasts of the Olympics in the late 1960s on through at least the 1970s would find either version incomplete. The start of the fanfare is much more dramatic here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwqE1QeyxM8

Why this has been left off I have no idea, unless copyrights are involved. Leo Arnaud is the composer.

snowdenscold
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I think that many of us who can remember the ABC telecasts of the Olympics in the late 1960s on through at least the 1970s would find either version incomplete. The start of the fanfare is much more dramatic here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwqE1QeyxM8

Why this has been left off I have no idea, unless copyrights are involved. Leo Arnaud is the composer.

You still hear the first half of that (first 46 seconds) all the time during the games, but yes, the second half seems to have disappeared.

Tom B.
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM

Along those lines, here's a tip for NBC -- when showing events on tape delay, you probably want to avoid running ads that give away the outcome of the event you're about to show. During the commercial break before showing the women's 100 meter backstroke final -- Missy Franklin's first individual event final -- NBC ran an ad for tomorrow's Today show that referenced "Missy Franklin's first gold medal." So any folks who had diligently avoided learning the result all afternoon so they could watch it tonight had the result spoiled literally minutes before it aired.

sue71, esq
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm out West, so I've heard about this commercial spoiler from several East Coast-ers. Oh boy, that's a hall of fame fail.

Dukefan1.0
07-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Congrats on Missy Franklin and Matt Grevers on their gold medals in the backstroke. Lochte finished fourth in a pretty stacked 200m free, but the worst performance was from the men's gymnastic team. I felt like I was watching the Bills choke in the Super Bowl with their performance, finishing first in qualifying, put in a decent floor routine with a few gaffes, then completely fall apart on the pommel horse, along with the vault, but at least they redeemed themselves a little on the high bar. Since every other favorite choked they should have just given the the medals to China and saved NBC the tape delay. Which along with BBC got a little overzealous with announcing the medal to Great Britain while Japan had a filed a protest, and by a DVR Japan was awarded the silver knocking Ukraine out of bronze giving it to Great Britain.

Oh, well lets hope the girls put in a good performance, along with the Basketball team tomorrow.

SoCalDukeFan
07-31-2012, 01:09 AM
The tape delay does not bother me. I understand that they need the audience and many of the events at weird times anyway.

Over the weekend I enjoyed some of the afternoon coverage of fencing and water polo. Two sports of which I was unfamiliar and liked.

My problem is the time taken up with interviews with American athletes and their families, especially those that we have seen time after time. Did we really need Michael Phelps Mom and sisters? Or May/Walsh?

The real story of the Olympics is 204 countries, 10,000 athletes. I think NBC is doing a good job of telling it with the multiple channels, etc. during the day but could do a much better job at night.

SoCal

CDu
07-31-2012, 09:32 AM
The tape delay does not bother me. I understand that they need the audience and many of the events at weird times anyway.

The tape delay doesn't bother me either. But running a spoiler literally minutes before the event is aired on that same channel is poor form.

My problem is the time taken up with interviews with American athletes and their families, especially those that we have seen time after time. Did we really need Michael Phelps Mom and sisters? Or May/Walsh?

Totally agree here. I'm so over Phelps and his mom at this point. I tend to not be a fan of the personal stories in general, though. Because a lot of these athletes are blockheads. Not all, obviously. But a fair amount of them just aren't interesting.

gus
07-31-2012, 09:51 AM

Over the weekend I enjoyed some of the afternoon coverage of fencing and water polo. Two sports of which I was unfamiliar and liked.

The real story of the Olympics is 204 countries, 10,000 athletes. I think NBC is doing a good job of telling it with the multiple channels, etc. during the day but could do a much better job at night.

SoCal

Most people I talk to would rather see sports (even obscure ones) than the human interest stories that NBC always focuses on.

Tom B.
07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
The tape delay doesn't bother me either. But running a spoiler literally minutes before the event is aired on that same channel is poor form.

Exactly. I don't mind the tape delay either -- I still like to watch the events (even if I've already learned the outcome during the day via the Internet), just to see the athletes perform and see their reactions. In fact, now that we're in the DVR era, it makes my viewing experience much more efficient. I can have dinner, put the kid to bed, take care of some things around the house, then settle down on the couch and watch the Games on DVR (double tape delay?), fast-forwarding through the human interest stuff and stopping only to watch the events and/or interviews in which I'm interested, until I've caught up to the "live" broadcast -- which, if I time it right, will be right around my usual bedtime. This is exactly what I did last night -- by the time I caught up, I was through the diving and swimming events (which I wanted to watch) and all that was left was men's gymnastics. That sport doesn't really interest me, and because I knew the result already, I didn't feel that there was anything I needed to stay up and see just for the sake of seeing it.

Most people I talk to would rather see sports (even obscure ones) than the human interest stories that NBC always focuses on.

You can thank the late Roone Arledge for that. During the 24 years that ABC covered the Olympics, he had the idea to weave human interest stories into the coverage -- not just to increase the drama factor and get viewers to feel more invested in their success, but also specifically to attract female viewers who normally didn't care as much about sports. It's why, to this day, the Olympics score higher among female viewers than just about any other sport televised in the U.S. Pay attention to the commercials run during the Olympics coverage -- you'll see almost as many geared towards women as you do towards men.

Mal
07-31-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm certainly one of them. Everyone at the Olympics has worked incredibly hard and made personal sacrifices to achieve their dream. If that's all the human interest you can get out of a 5 minute segment, it's just not illuminating at all. I understand the need to establish humanity and personality for the events and participants so as to tie an emotional anchor to the results, but there's got to be a better way to do it.

My biggest complaint so far has been this weekend's early coverage. I was unfortunate enough to be up at the lake, where the cable doesn't provide MSNBC, Telemundo, Bravo and whatever else, so we were left with the main network and CNBC (which was showing boxing). Of the actual sporting action the main network showed in those three hours (probably 2/3 of the total time), it was 99% the biking road races. Both Saturday and Sunday. They would cut in to show what else was going on around the Olympics, like, say, field hockey, or handball, or skeet shooting, and literally show one play. Seven seconds. They didn't tell you on what channel you could be watching whatever it was they previewed, either, perhaps because they weren't even actually televising it. And then back to the bikers crashing. I know there are some hardcore cycling fans on this board, but this viewer finds watching a bike race on television indescribably boring. So did my kids.

kexman
07-31-2012, 11:28 AM
When I was living in Michigan I always liked watching the canadian broadcasting of the olympics. They spent more time talking about the sports and would actually talk about the heat that was going on instead of phelps heat that was coming up later. It was also less US centric and since the canadians did not always have a medal favorite they could talk about the field.
My one nitpick with coverage is that most of these sports I may only watch every 4 years...I would like to be taught about the sport. Both dressage and fencing I was having a hard time following what was going on in the action and understanding the scoring or lack of scoring. Of course I know nothing about either sport.

sue71, esq
07-31-2012, 02:43 PM
I guess what I don't understand is this: Why not show the (presumably big) event in live time on whatever channel/station they choose, and then show it again in prime time? If people are getting the results as they happen (or at least before the delayed airing) &/or watching live on computers/iPads/iPhones and the ratings aren't suffering (which they're apparently not), then what is the harm in showing it both live and in prime time? :confused:

Mal
07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
When I was living in Michigan I always liked watching the canadian broadcasting of the olympics. They spent more time talking about the sports and would actually talk about the heat that was going on instead of phelps heat that was coming up later. It was also less US centric and since the canadians did not always have a medal favorite they could talk about the field.
My one nitpick with coverage is that most of these sports I may only watch every 4 years...I would like to be taught about the sport. Both dressage and fencing I was having a hard time following what was going on in the action and understanding the scoring or lack of scoring. Of course I know nothing about either sport.

The CBC even does a good job of that during the Winter Olympics, where they would have every reason to spend all their time obsessing over, and profiling every member of, their hockey team. Instead, they show every curling match. You may recall that from your roommate becoming a curling addict during the '98 Games, watching Sweden/England spiels deep into the night after three or four beers. :) No way that would have happened with U.S.-style coverage.

SoCalDukeFan
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I guess what I don't understand is this: Why not show the (presumably big) event in live time on whatever channel/station they choose, and then show it again in prime time? If people are getting the results as they happen (or at least before the delayed airing) &/or watching live on computers/iPads/iPhones and the ratings aren't suffering (which they're apparently not), then what is the harm in showing it both live and in prime time? :confused:

is that many would record it, then watch the recording and skip the commercials and not watch the prime time.

I could live with the delay if they would show more sports and less stupid stories.

SoCal

mapei
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
The real story of the Olympics is 204 countries, 10,000 athletes.

This. NBC sees athletes from other countries as faceless opposition, and American competitors as heroes with fantastic family stories, etc, and SO MUCH dedication and hard work. In fact, if you're watching in prime time, and the event wasn't prehyped due to Lochte/Phelps/Bolt etc., you know in advance that an American probably medaled. Otherwise they wouldn't show it. Would they have spent so much air time on men's synchronized swimming if there was no US medal? There was one swimming event where a French woman won gold with an Olympic record, and they mentioned her name exactly once before spending ten minutes of air time on the American who took silver.

Best things I have seen so far have been (1) women's volleyball, US v Brazil - this US team looks unbeatable - and (2) women's cycling, with repeated attacks by the Dutch team until they got the breakaway they wanted with their best rider. All three medals (NL, GB, Russia) were richly deserved. The men's road race was boring, and I say that as a hardcore cycling fan.

P.S. They may show the gorgeous Dana Vollmer all they want. :)

Atlanta Duke
07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
16 year old Ye Shiwen won another gold, this time in the women's 200 IM

http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/blog/eye-on-olympics/19696582/ye-shinweh-sets-another-record,-wins-another-gold

As questions continue to be raised about her training regimen following her world record in the 400 IM, the British tabloids are on the story:D

Forging of the Mandarin mermaid: How Chinese children are taken away from their families and brutalised into future Olympians

Her mother insists she and her husband, a manual worker, had always impressed on her that ‘results are not important, but you should always enjoy the taking part’. One doubts she dares voice this opinion in the presence of her daughter’s coaches.

In swimming, as in most other Olympic sports, they enforce a regime so relentlessly harsh that it has been compared, by those few Western observers who have managed to penetrate the obsessive secrecy with which it is guarded, to that in some 19th-century prisons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2181374/Ye-Shiwen--forging-Mandarin-mermaid-How-Chinese-children-brutalised-future-Olympians.html#ixzz22F3kryZS

SoCalDukeFan
07-31-2012, 07:47 PM
is that we are sports fans and the Olympics is aimed at those who rarely watch sports.

Ratings are better than Beijing.

And this quote

“NBC has created a formula around story arcs,” Lazarus said. “The American population wants to get to know the athletes and follow their stories.”

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Olympics/London-Olympics/2012/07/lazarustape.aspx

SoCal

Dukefan1.0
07-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Michael Phelps won gold today with the American 4x200m freestyle relay, and a silver in the 200m fly. The US women dominated the team competition in gymnastics winning by 5 points making it their first gold since '96.

Allison Schmitt dominated in the women's 200m freestyle, while Missy Franklin was out touched by Australian Bronte Barrett for the bronze. The women's soccer team also won their group today winning 1-0 over North Korea.

China and the USA are still tied in the medal count with 23, with China still leading in gold medals with 13 compared to the USA's 9. My theory to why this is, is that we have to give our gold medals to China to help pay of our national debt :D.

sue71, esq
08-01-2012, 12:11 AM
I posted this on Facebook earlier:

From the front, I like the USA warmups. From the back, they look like they were issued at a prison.

94duke
08-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Yikes!!

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/01/8-badminton-players-thrown-out-of-olympics-for-trying-to-lose/?hpt=hp_t1

Billy Dat
08-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Here is my strategy for trying to watch the headline events without finding out who won.

-Stop checking Twitter/Facebook/Any internet news feeds starting around Noon EST
-DVR whichever of the 4-5 day long cable feeds is showing whatever I am most interested in
-DVR the NBC 8PM - Midnight coverage
-Start watching one of my daily cable feed DVR selections around 7:30 or 8. They are pretty good about avoiding spoilers but it's still smart to fast forward through any studio talking head segments just in case.
-Don't start watching the NBS primetime feed until 9:30PM or so so that I can fast forward through everything but the events themselves, again, to avoid any promo spoliers
-Hope that someone doesn't spill the beans about the results at some point along the way, or I don't accidentally find out some other way

It aint easy! I was able to avoid finding stuff out until last night because my kids heard it on the radio and ran in to tell me about it.

While the tape delay stuff stinks, the amount of coverage, otherwise, is light years better than it used to be. There is about 20 hours of coverage, of nearly everything available on TV, let alone the internet feeds. It is amazing to think that the Miracle on Ice was shown on tape delay.

Atlanta Duke
08-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Yikes!!

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/01/8-badminton-players-thrown-out-of-olympics-for-trying-to-lose/?hpt=hp_t1

Yet more dishonorable misconduct by Team China regarding the badminton scandal:D

Indonesia Olympic team leader Erick Thohir accused Chinese players of losing on purpose in the past.

"China has been doing this so many times and they never get sanctioned by the BWF," Thohir said. "On the first game yesterday when China did it, the BWF didn't do anything. If the BWF do something on the first game and they say you are disqualified, it is a warning for everyone."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/skorean-ap...a-1488770.html

The British tabloids definitely have teed up China as the team to root against

Torture or training? Inside the brutal Chinese gymnasium where the country's future Olympic stars are bent and beaten into shape

Her face etched with pain, a child trains for Olympic glory while her gymnastics trainer stands on her legs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2182127/How-China-trains-children-win-gold--standing-girls-legs-young-boys-hang-bars.html

Duke receives more favorable treatment in the N&O than China is receiving from the British press

Dukefan1.0
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
The news that caught my attention was in boxing were Japanese Bantamweight Satoshi Shimizu knocked Magomed Abdulhamidov of Azerbeijan down five times, which by the end of the match if the ref wasn't holding his arm he would've fallen, and lost the bout on points. As if Olympic Boxing needed to be dragged through the mud even more than it has been in the past, at least the decision was overturned, and the referee expelled.

Here's a link to the story http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/02/olympics-2012-boxing-boxing

NSDukeFan
08-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Anyone catch the New Zealand pairs in rowing this morning? I have never seen a race in rowing that was that lopsided. It was almost like US-Nigeria basketball, an incredible performance. Another memorable performance in these Olympics.

Channing
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I seem to have a love/hate relationship with the games! I love watching them, all of them, but I hate that I can no longer get a good nights sleep (because I am up until all hours watching events or coverage)!

NSDukeFan
08-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Del Potro - Federer is fantastic right now. Watch if you have the chance. Federer just broke him for the first time all match to take a 10-9 lead and Del Potro broke back at love for the first time he has been close to Federer's serve in awhile.

Olympic Fan
08-03-2012, 12:51 PM
The news that caught my attention was in boxing were Japanese Bantamweight Satoshi Shimizu knocked Magomed Abdulhamidov of Azerbeijan down five times, which by the end of the match if the ref wasn't holding his arm he would've fallen, and lost the bout on points. As if Olympic Boxing needed to be dragged through the mud even more than it has been in the past, at least the decision was overturned, and the referee expelled.

Here's a link to the story http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/02/olympics-2012-boxing-boxing

Apparently, there is much more to this scandal that just bad judging.

The BBC ran a story BEFORE the Olympics that alleges that Ivan Khodabakhsh, he CEO of the World Series of Boxing, had brokered a deal with boxing officials in Azerbeijan to trade two gold medals in the Olympics for $10 million. The BBC reported that a $9 million payment was in fact made. The organization admits that it received a $9 million loan from an investor in Azerbeijan, but claims it was merely "a loan."

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2012/08/olympic-fix-the-case-of-the-azeri-boxer.html

From the story:

By the time the London Games began, Azerbaijan was no longer a hot topic among boxing fans. That changed yesterday during the third round of a fight between Satoshi Shimizu, from Japan, and Magomed Abdulhamidov, from Azerbaijan. With just over a minute left, Shimizu started coming on, and Abdulhamidov began to wilt. As Shimizu chased Abdulhamidov back into the ropes, Abdulhamidov waved his right hand in the air, and the referee stopped the action to make an imperceptible adjustment to Abdulhamidov’s headgear. After another battery of punches, Abdulhamidov crumpled forward onto his knees; instead of ruling a knockdown, the referee merely asked him to stand up, and then let the fighting continue. This happened four more times in the fight’s final minute: Shimizu would beat Abdulhamidov down into the canvas, the referee would ask Abdulhamidov to stand up, and the fight would continue.

Bob Papa, NBC’s relatively calm play-by-play announcer, was incensed. “This referee never administered an eight-count for an injured boxer. He should be eliminated from the Olympics.”

He was ... but that should not stop the IOC from pursuing this mess.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2012/08/olympic-fix-the-case-of-the-azeri-boxer.html#ixzz22VDXLkX7

SoCalDukeFan
08-03-2012, 01:26 PM
I am now a big fan of the TV coverage. I think it has improved.

I know there have been some glitches but there is a lot of coverage and mistakes happens.

There seem to be fewer or shorter "stories" during the evening telecast, which was my biggest peeve. Also saw some non US events.

While I have not had much free time in the daytime I did see the women's soccer win and the end of the fantastic Federer tennis match.

As I wrote before the tape delay does not matter this year as the I would have had a hard time watching many of the big events live anyway.
I did hate the tape delay from Vancouver. Will be interesting to see how Rio is handled.

SoCal

Dukefan1.0
08-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Interesting day so far starting with Federer winning over del Porto in a record match in the semis, he will face the winner of Djokovic vs Murray. Serena Williams took less time in her match, around an hour I think, so she has time to look at the sites and more likely prepare to face Sharapova. The Bryan brothers reached the finals in mens doubles

A surprise in men's beach volleyball as defending beach volleyball gold medalists Todd Rogers and Phil Dalhausser were swept in the first stage of the round of 16 by the Italian team of Paolo Nicolai and Danielle Lupo.

Michael Phelps just showing off now winning the 100m butterfly for his 21st medal and 16th gold medal. Also Missy Franklin sets the world record in the 200m backstroke.

US women's soccer team advanced to the semis winning 2-0 over New Zealand.

Finally track and field started which will hopefully boost my interest level, as swimming and the other sports outside of basketball were starting to drag like the first round in the NBA Playoffs.

A-Tex Devil
08-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Apparently, there is much more to this scandal that just bad judging.

The BBC ran a story BEFORE the Olympics that alleges that Ivan Khodabakhsh, he CEO of the World Series of Boxing, had brokered a deal with boxing officials in Azerbeijan to trade two gold medals in the Olympics for $10 million. The BBC reported that a $9 million payment was in fact made. The organization admits that it received a $9 million loan from an investor in Azerbeijan, but claims it was merely "a loan."

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2012/08/olympic-fix-the-case-of-the-azeri-boxer.html

From the story:

By the time the London Games began, Azerbaijan was no longer a hot topic among boxing fans. That changed yesterday during the third round of a fight between Satoshi Shimizu, from Japan, and Magomed Abdulhamidov, from Azerbaijan. With just over a minute left, Shimizu started coming on, and Abdulhamidov began to wilt. As Shimizu chased Abdulhamidov back into the ropes, Abdulhamidov waved his right hand in the air, and the referee stopped the action to make an imperceptible adjustment to Abdulhamidov’s headgear. After another battery of punches, Abdulhamidov crumpled forward onto his knees; instead of ruling a knockdown, the referee merely asked him to stand up, and then let the fighting continue. This happened four more times in the fight’s final minute: Shimizu would beat Abdulhamidov down into the canvas, the referee would ask Abdulhamidov to stand up, and the fight would continue.

Bob Papa, NBC’s relatively calm play-by-play announcer, was incensed. “This referee never administered an eight-count for an injured boxer. He should be eliminated from the Olympics.”

He was ... but that should not stop the IOC from pursuing this mess.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2012/08/olympic-fix-the-case-of-the-azeri-boxer.html#ixzz22VDXLkX7

So what about the judges that scored it a victory for the Azeri? They have to go too, right? That's some pretty egregious ish right there.

Olympic Fan
08-03-2012, 07:23 PM
So what about the judges that scored it a victory for the Azeri? They have to go too, right? That's some pretty egregious ish right there.

I think that is also an issue, although it may be a little more complicated.

From what I read, the Azeri was ahead on all three tickets going into the last round -- and that seems to be considered reasonable.

However, the Areni boxer was knocked down five times in the final round -- AND HE STILL WON THE ROUND ON ALL THREE JUDGES CARDS.

Blatant corruption, right?

Well, maybe not. In the first place, even though he was knocked down five times, technically he wasn't knocked down once (since the referee didn't rule any fall a knockdown with the ensuing, mandatory eight count). Second, under the Olympic rules, the POWER of punches isn't a factor in scoring -- just the number and placement of punches. A knockdown punch doesn't count any more than a clean hit that may be only a tap.

While I agree that the judges probably were corrupt, it's not as manifest as the referesee's blatant corruption.

BD80
08-04-2012, 06:24 PM
... The British tabloids definitely have teed up China as the team to root against

Torture or training? Inside the brutal Chinese gymnasium where the country's future Olympic stars are bent and beaten into shape

Her face etched with pain, a child trains for Olympic glory while her gymnastics trainer stands on her legs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2182127/How-China-trains-children-win-gold--standing-girls-legs-young-boys-hang-bars.html

Duke receives more favorable treatment in the N&O than China is receiving from the British press

Reminds me of watching a coach kneel on my 11-year-old son's back forcing his chest to the mat as he stretched in center splits. My son told me to back off, but I think the coaches learned from the expression on my face, I never saw or heard of it happening in that gym again. I was told it wasn't unusual in the world of competitive gymnastics.

Olympic Fan
08-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Great day for the British in the track and field stadium Saturday.

Thanks to NBA for showing us the men's 10,000 meters in its entirety (well, almost -- they broke away from the 30-minute event twice for brief commercials). It was a great race -- British hero Mo Farah survived a lot of jostling by the Kenyans and Ethiopians to break out in front going into the last lap and hold off any late charges. I've never seen a racer smiling so broadly as he crossed the finish line to the plaudits of his countrymen. Nice that his training partner, American Galen Rupp, made a late sprint to claim second place -- the first American male to medal at 10,000 meters since Billy Mills in 1964.

NBC didn't show us nearly as much of the Long Jump competition, won by Britain's Grey Rutherford. It was all in a quick two minute summary.

I was also disappointed that we didn't get to see more of Jess Ennis. She was the face of the games for the British advertising before the Olympics -- up front in all the newspaper and TV ads. The favorite in the Women's Heptathalon (the female equivilent of the Decathalon), Ennis dominated the first six events -- without a word from NBC (at least on the main channel). They did join for her 800 meter run, the final event. Ennis had the gold all but wrapped up at that point (she needed to finish within 12 seconds of the second-place girl, who was not a good 800 runner).

Great, GREAT performance by Ennis -- she led the field for 600 yards and when a couple of racers went past her in the last turn, it looked like she could just coast in with any easy 3rd or 4th place in the race and an overwhelming gold in the event. Instead, she kicked it home, blew past the two girls who had passed her, and raced home 10 yards in front to cap a brilliant performance.

I've got to admit, I was blown away -- it's things like that that make me an "Olympic fan".

BTW: I was reading where a few months ago when Ennis was proposed as the face of the British Olympics, one official objected, claiming she was "too fat."

What do you guys think? Too fat?:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7700000/Aviva-UK-Championships-World-Trials-jessica-ennis-7702202-387-594.jpg

NYC Duke Fan
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Based upon the pre-olympic hype which olympian has disappointed.

I guess it would be either Jordyn Wieber or Ryan Lochte. I am not taking anything away from each because just being an Olympian is a monumental feat.

I remember Lochte saying that this was his Olympics, but he only won 1 individual gold medal.Wieber was touted as the best of the US gymnist but yet failed to qualify for the all around preformer.

The best so far has been Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin. How would you like to be in charge of their endorsements in the future ?

allenmurray
08-05-2012, 05:07 PM

I guess it would be either Jordyn Wieber or Ryan Lochte. I am not taking anything away from each because just being an Olympian is a monumental feat.

I remember Lochte saying that this was his Olympics, but he only won 1 individual gold medal.Wieber was touted as the best of the US gymnist but yet failed to qualify for the all around preformer.

The best so far has been Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin. How would you like to be in charge of their endorsements in the future ?

I dislike the very premise of the question, but I'll play anyway. In gymnastics one or two sublte errors can cost you an opportunity to even compete for the idividual all around. Therefore it is hard for me to see Wieber as a disappointment.

But Lochte was his own hpye machine - as soon as I saw him put that diamond studded grill in his mouth on the NBC's obligatory "Let's-Hype-Lochte" segment I was tired of him. He made himself unlikeable.

blazindw
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Wieber placed 3rd in the prelims but didn't make the All-Around final because of a stupid rule (that the final must have every country represented and a max of 2 from a country). That's really not her fault and doesn't make her a disappointment.

JasonEvans
08-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Horrible question. Hate it.

But the answers given by NYC Duke fan are even worse.

Just so we are clear, both Lochte and Weiber are gold medal winners. They are the best in the world at some aspect of their craft. Wieber still has multiple chances for Gold in individual events coming up. Without her, no way the US wins the all-around. Lochte won perhaps the hardest and most complete race in swimming, the 400 IM. He took 5 medals, a huge haul for any one individual.

It is possible to say that each of these athletes came up short of the tremendous expectations heaped upon them, but it is not like they are leaving the games empty handed, not by a long stretch.

-Jason "the US beach volleyballers who were the defending gold medalists who lost in the first knockout round... now that was a disappointment" Evans

blazindw
08-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Just so we are clear, both Lochte and Weiber are gold medal winners. They are the best in the world at some aspect of their craft. Wieber still has multiple chances for Gold in individual events coming up. Without her, no way the US wins the all-around. Lochte won perhaps the hardest and most complete race in swimming, the 400 IM. He took 5 medals, a huge haul for any one individual.

It is possible to say that each of these athletes came up short of the tremendous expectations heaped upon them, but it is not like they are leaving the games empty handed, not by a long stretch.

-Jason "the US beach volleyballers who were the defending gold medalists who lost in the first knockout round... now that was a disappointment" Evans

I agree, Jason. Dalhausser and Rogers losing in the quarters was a complete shock. Another shock is the men's 400m final tomorrow will not have any Americans in it. We've dominated that event in previous years.

We've had some great surprises too, especially in women's judo, swimming and some of the track & field events.

NYC Duke Fan
08-05-2012, 07:15 PM

Why is it such a horrible question? I said initially that just being an Olympian was a monumental achievement, but I think it is a valid point for discussion. No one is dismissing the performance of Lochte in the 400 IM, but he received probably more hype than any another Olympian prior to the Olympics. If I am correct he did proclaim,that it was his time at the Olympics, and the press ate it up. Lochte is a great swimmer and it is my feeling that in the next World Championships whenever they are, he will shine .

If the US does not win the Gold in the Men's basketball would you then say that they were the biggest disappointment at the Olympics?

Incidentially, a Jamaican physician who is both a friend and client of mine, told me that if Bolt or Blake do not win gold in both the 100 and 200 they will be huge disappointments to the entire Jamaican Country.

NYC Duke Fan
08-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I agree, Jason. Dalhausser and Rogers losing in the quarters was a complete shock. Another shock is the men's 400m final tomorrow will not have any Americans in it. We've dominated that event in previous years.

We've had some great surprises too, especially in women's judo, swimming and some of the track & field events.

You are probably correct but I doubt that the average viewer would even know who Dalhausser and Rogers were.

There was never any media hype about them. Quite frankly if you had asked me prior to the Olympics who they were I probably could not identify them , but I did know who Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh were.

BD80
08-05-2012, 08:27 PM
... but he only won 1 individual gold medal. ...

Truly an inane statement.

I agree, Jason. Dalhausser and Rogers losing in the quarters was a complete shock. ....

Not really. Dalhauser has survived cancer TWICE, and is not the dominant presence he has been. Rogers is mercurial to say the least. He would be on every episode of ESPNVB (volleyball) for Top 10 Highlights and lowlights. Rogers was nicked up and not playing well at all. The Italians attacked Rogers and Dalhauser wound up trying to hit his sets too perfectly. Total collapse. Their time had come - not a total shock.

You are probably correct but I doubt that the average viewer would even know who Dalhausser and Rogers were. ...

Anyone that follows volleyball knows who they are. Dalhausser has been a dominant force on the net, and Rogers is truly one of the most gifted players ever. He is compared to Karch Kiray and Sinjin Smith in talent.

blazindw
08-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Not really. Dalhauser has survived cancer TWICE, and is not the dominant presence he has been. Rogers is mercurial to say the least. He would be on every episode of ESPNVB (volleyball) for Top 10 Highlights and lowlights. Rogers was nicked up and not playing well at all. The Italians attacked Rogers and Dalhauser wound up trying to hit his sets too perfectly. Total collapse. Their time had come - not a total shock.

I knew about those stories (but I follow the Olympic sports more than the average viewer), but they were still the #2 ranked pair. Most people remember they were surprise winners 4 years ago. I still thought, despite their injuries and setbacks, that they could make it to the semis and contend for a medal. Being seeded #2, everyone else thought so too. And, they lost to a team that very few had heard of before these Games. Though, having watched a few of their matches, they play very well and as young as they are, they could be a force in beach volleyball for the next couple of Olympics.

You are probably correct but I doubt that the average viewer would even know who Dalhausser and Rogers were.

There was never any media hype about them. Quite frankly if you had asked me prior to the Olympics who they were I probably could not identify them , but I did know who Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh were.

They definitely received media attention, especially given that beach volleyball is one of the growing sports in popularity (due, in large part, to Walsh Jennings and May-Treanor). The fact they won 4 years ago had them among the most known of the volleyball pairs at the Games. You may not have known their names, but people remember their remarkable run from 4 years ago and definitely knew that they were one of the favorites this time around.

AtlBluRew
08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I think that the Olympian who lost the most by not performing up to expectation is Australia's James Magnussen. He was poised to be regarded an Ian Thorpe-level national hero.

On an another topic, is beach volleyball REALLY so popular that NBC has to give it s much coverage? I think I've seen it every day and I was tired of it by day 2.

Faustus
08-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I could very well be wrong here, but I think NBC has carried women's beach volleyball regularly for a couple of years now, so naturally they're going to hype that sport as much as they can. Hope I'm not too cynical...

BD80
08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
... is beach volleyball REALLY so popular that NBC has to give it s much coverage? I think I've seen it every day and I was tired of it by day 2.

That is a rhetorical question, at least as to women's beach volleyball?

I think volleyball combines familiarity, action, scoring and athleticism that appeals to the broadest range of viewers. For example, I want to enjoy the fencing, but I don't understand the rules of what constitutes a scoring touch, so it is difficult for me to watch.

Olympic Fan
08-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Great 100-meter final ... another gold for Usain Bolt.

Almost certainly the fastest human being who has ever lived ... Jamiaca goes 1-2 in the 100; the USA 3-4-5 ... it' going to be an interesting 4 x 100 relay

Also, great job by Sanya Richards-Ross in the women's 400 winning gold after her "disappointing" bronze in Beijing.

And one of those great Olympic moments after Oscar Pistorius --the South African double amputee -- finished last in his semifinal for the men's 400-meters.
Kirani James, the world champ and the winner of his hea,t approached Pistorious after the race:

James immediately walked over to Pistorius after the race and asked to trade name bibs to keep as a souvenir. The pair shook hands and hugged.

"He's an inspiration for all of us. What he does ... takes a lot of courage, just a lot of confidence," James said. "He's very special to our sport.

"He's a great individual and it's time we see him like that and not anything else."

As for disappointments (if it's fair for us to talk about those things), how about Makayla Maroney, who fell on her last jump and lost the gold in the women's vault. According to the commentators, she is the most dominant vaulter in the world and was the surest lock for a gold medal of all the gymnasts. Instead, she got silver:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/gymnastics/story/_/id/8235888/2012-summer-olympics-mckayla-maroney-us-settles-silver-vault-tumble

snowdenscold
08-06-2012, 09:29 AM
As for disappointments (if it's fair for us to talk about those things), how about Makayla Maroney, who fell on her last jump and lost the gold in the women's vault. According to the commentators, she is the most dominant vaulter in the world and was the surest lock for a gold medal of all the gymnasts. Instead, she got silver:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/gymnastics/story/_/id/8235888/2012-summer-olympics-mckayla-maroney-us-settles-silver-vault-tumble

As soon as the commentator started making statements like "There's no way she can lose" and "she's guaranteed the gold," my uncle and I looked at each other and said how stupid of that guy to say those things. And sure enough...

CDu
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
As soon as the commentator started making statements like "There's no way she can lose" and "she's guaranteed the gold," my uncle and I looked at each other and said how stupid of that guy to say those things. And sure enough...

Yeah, Tim Daggett is pretty terrible at color commentary. He clearly knows the sport (being an Olympic gold medalist in 1984), but he's just atrocious on the mic.

That said, Maroney absolutely should have won. She easily handled the most difficult vault in women's gymnastics. She "only" had to land on her feet (could take numerous steps on the landing even) on her (easier) second vault to take gold running away. Instead, she unbelievably came up well short.

She's such a good vaulter that, even with the fall, she still only lost by about 2 tenths of a point.

It was indeed shocking.

NYC Duke Fan
08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
I do not really follow it too closely, but weren't we suppose to be pretty good?

So far, the US has not won any medal in men's gymnastics.

CDu
08-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I do not really follow it too closely, but weren't we suppose to be pretty good?

Yes, we were supposed to be pretty good. Not likely as good as the Chinese or Japanese teams, but probably should have gotten bronze. We finished 5th after some really awful pommel horse scores, so that was disappointing.

So far, the US has not won any medal in men's gymnastics.

That's not correct. Danell Leyva won the bronze in the individual all-around, which was close to as good as he could reasonably be expected to do. And we still have a few event finals in which American men could medal (including high bar, where we have two gymnasts competing).

JasonEvans
08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
That said, Maroney absolutely should have won. She easily handled the most difficult vault in women's gymnastics. She "only" had to land on her feet (could take numerous steps on the landing even) on her (easier) second vault to take gold running away. Instead, she unbelievably came up well short.

She's such a good vaulter that, even with the fall, she still only lost by about 2 tenths of a point.

It was indeed shocking.

See, here is an example of why I think it is horrible for us to talk about "disappointing" when it comes to the performance of these athletes. I hate going there!

Maroney is the best vaulter in the world. Not by a little bit, by a lot. She was a prohibitive gold medal favorite because she is light years ahead of everyone else. I hope everyone saw the side-by-side and overlay comparisons of her to the top male vaulter from Japan. He does the exact same vault she does except he does it from the higher men's vault. Yet, Maroney gets higher on her vault and has better form. She is a freak of nature on the vault.

She has won everything you can win on the vault except for an Olympic medal. Despite national and world championships (which provided almost no competition for her), the Olympics are the one thing that matters more than all the rest. She has trained tirelessly for years for this moment.

And she blew it.

She probably does not "sit" that vault more than 1 or 2% of the time in practice. Someone said last night that they thkng she has never missed that vault that badly in competition before. It was a freak occurrence... at the perfectly wrong time.

And remember, gymnastics is not like most other sports where you can get a second chance in the next Olympics. Maroney is 16 years old. If she comes back in 4 years at age 20, she will be kinda ancient by gymnastics standards. These gymnasts have a tiny window when their bodies are the right size to do what they do. A little bit older makes a gigantic difference in this sport. The odds are excellent that this was her only shot at an individual gold medal. Imagine being not only the best in the world but, according to many observers, the best of all time at something... and the one moment when you can prove it to everyone you make a 1 in 100 mistake.

And WE feel disappointment?!?!? Are you kidding me? I am not even close to qualified to render judgement on what happened to Mykayla Maroney. I don't know how she managed not to break down in a sobbing heap on the ground after she lost. This was an injustice of the sporting gods. I really feel for her. I hope she sticks around and her body allows her to compete again in 2016 in Rio... but that is a longshot.

--Jason "Of course, she also gets the team gold medal and her incredible vault in the team competition (which Bella Karolyi called the greatest vault in history) contributed a good bit toward the US team gold" Evans

InSpades
08-06-2012, 12:00 PM
See, here is an example of why I think it is horrible for us to talk about "disappointing" when it comes to the performance of these athletes. I hate going there!

Maroney is the best vaulter in the world. Not by a little bit, by a lot. She was a prohibitive gold medal favorite because she is light years ahead of everyone else. I hope everyone saw the side-by-side and overlay comparisons of her to the top male vaulter from Japan. He does the exact same vault she does except he does it from the higher men's vault. Yet, Maroney gets higher on her vault and has better form. She is a freak of nature on the vault.

She has won everything you can win on the vault except for an Olympic medal. Despite national and world championships (which provided almost no competition for her), the Olympics are the one thing that matters more than all the rest. She has trained tirelessly for years for this moment.

And she blew it.

She probably does not "sit" that vault more than 1 or 2% of the time in practice. Someone said last night that they thkng she has never missed that vault that badly in competition before. It was a freak occurrence... at the perfectly wrong time.

And remember, gymnastics is not like most other sports where you can get a second chance in the next Olympics. Maroney is 16 years old. If she comes back in 4 years at age 20, she will be kinda ancient by gymnastics standards. These gymnasts have a tiny window when their bodies are the right size to do what they do. A little bit older makes a gigantic difference in this sport. The odds are excellent that this was her only shot at an individual gold medal. Imagine being not only the best in the world but, according to many observers, the best of all time at something... and the one moment when you can prove it to everyone you make a 1 in 100 mistake.

And WE feel disappointment?!?!? Are you kidding me? I am not even close to qualified to render judgement on what happened to Mykayla Maroney. I don't know how she managed not to break down in a sobbing heap on the ground after she lost. This was an injustice of the sporting gods. I really feel for her. I hope she sticks around and her body allows her to compete again in 2016 in Rio... but that is a longshot.

--Jason "Of course, she also gets the team gold medal and her incredible vault in the team competition (which Bella Karolyi called the greatest vault in history) contributed a good bit toward the US team gold" Evans

She could also still be the best vaulter in the world 4 years from now and they could leave her off the team. She's lucky that the other 4 girls are so well rounded that they could afford to take a gymnast who only contributes in 1 event. If the make-up of the team were different then they might need to take someone else to fill in holes in other apparatus. Who knows what the team will look like 4 years from now? Maybe they have a team full of people who are very good at vault but need a girl who is better at bars or something.

Still she is amazing. The vault she did in the team competition is one of the most amazing athletic feats I've ever seen.

JasonEvans
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
She could also still be the best vaulter in the world 4 years from now and they could leave her off the team. She's lucky that the other 4 girls are so well rounded that they could afford to take a gymnast who only contributes in 1 event. If the make-up of the team were different then they might need to take someone else to fill in holes in other apparatus. Who knows what the team will look like 4 years from now? Maybe they have a team full of people who are very good at vault but need a girl who is better at bars or something.

Still she is amazing. The vault she did in the team competition is one of the most amazing athletic feats I've ever seen.

She is supposed to be pretty good on floor exercise too, I think. She hurt herself in warmups or something like that which is why she did not compete on floor during the team competition.

And she is sooooo much better than the rest of the world on vault. Her vault scores are a full half point to a point better than everyone else most of the time. That is a tremendous advantage that the US gets in its team score when they use her.

Still, you are right. The window for these girls in gymnastics is impossibly tight.

-Jason "one of my 13-year old son's classmates is a gymnast. I think she is supposed to be among the top 20 or so in the country" Evans

CDu
08-06-2012, 01:01 PM

I think you're COMPLETELY misunderstanding the discussion. I'm sure nobody is more disappointed in the result than Maroney herself. I'm not disappointed IN her, I'm disappointed FOR her, because she's the best and yet had an unbelievably unfortunate bad vault that cost her the gold medal.

The result can be disappointing (to the competitor and his/her fans). That does not mean we're disappointed in the competitor or his/her efforts. There is absolutely a distinction to be made there. I feel very badly for Maroney. In what was supposed to be her coronation on the greatest stage, she had an unfortunate hiccup. That hiccup is disappointing - not her or her effort.

As for her chances of competing again, it's possible but unlikely. Three or four months ago, she was a lock to make the team and compete on floor and vault (possibly additional events too). She was one of the four best in the US (with Wieber, Douglas, and Raisman). Then, she had a horrible over-rotation on a warmup on floor, landing on her back and suffering a concussion and fractured bones in her face. She was also recovering from a broken toe. Those injuries put her chances of even qualifying for the US team in doubt. She fought through qualifying, finishing 5th or 6th but excelling on vault. She would have done floor and vault in the qualifying rounds, but only vault in the team final (Wieber, Douglas, and Raisman are better on floor and would be the three chosen for the final).

Vault is one of the few events on which girls can reasonably continue to compete into their early-20s. So if she remains elite on the vault (and if the rest of the team is strong enough all around to all her to be a specialist), she could make it to Rio. It's unlikely that she would still be elite on floor at that point, but I guess it's possible.

sue71, esq
08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Vault is one of the few events on which girls can reasonably continue to compete into their early-20s. So if she remains elite on the vault (and if the rest of the team is strong enough all around to all her to be a specialist), she could make it to Rio. It's unlikely that she would still be elite on floor at that point, but I guess it's possible.

Who was the woman in the vault finals last night (she had short dark hair and a sleeveless leotard)... the announcers said it was her SIXTH Olympics. Oh my. Kudos to her... and she shows it is possible.

Bluedog
08-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Who was the woman in the vault finals last night (she had short dark hair and a sleeveless leotard)... the announcers said it was her SIXTH Olympics. Oh my. Kudos to her... and she shows it is possible.

Oksana Chusovitina, age 37! Quite remarkable when everybody else is like 16. She has competed for the USSR, Uzbekistan, and Germany (currently) at the Olympics.

CDu
08-06-2012, 03:14 PM

Yeah, that really was incredible. There was a 29-year-old Brazilian competing as well (I saw her on floor). And on the mens' side I believe there was a 39-year-old athlete. Needless to say, those type of stories are pretty rare. And they exceedingly rare for countries with strong gymnastics teams. The good teams usually have enough elite athletes in the 16-18 range that an older competitor can't sneak on the team. I doubt that there have been too many 20+ year old females on the US teams over the years (at least not since we've gotten really good at the sport).

The challenge for an athlete in an elite country is beating out the domestic competition. I have no doubt that Maroney could still be among the top-10 or top-15 vaulters in the world in 2016. The problem will be that she may no longer be the best vaulter (or even in the top-3) in the US. And if she's not clearly the best vaulter in the US, she will have trouble making the team.

Indoor66
08-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah, that really was incredible. There was a 29-year-old Brazilian competing as well (I saw her on floor). And on the mens' side I believe there was a 39-year-old athlete. Needless to say, those type of stories are pretty rare. And they exceedingly rare for countries with strong gymnastics teams. The good teams usually have enough elite athletes in the 16-18 range that an older competitor can't sneak on the team. I doubt that there have been too many 20+ year old females on the US teams over the years (at least not since we've gotten really good at the sport).

Thinking of the Winter Games, isn't 39 young on the Curling teams? :cool:

CDu
08-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Thinking of the Winter Games, isn't 39 young on the Curling teams? :cool:

Well, when we're talking about gymnastics, I'm not sure how relevant curling is. But yes, there are probably a number of sports (shooting is a possible example) in which being 39 is not old. Gymnastics is not one of them. The 39-year-old male gymnast was really remarkable (probably slightly less remarkable than the 37-year-old female gymnast, though).

Mal
08-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Well, when we're talking about gymnastics, I'm not sure how relevant curling is. But yes, there are probably a number of sports (shooting is a possible example) in which being 39 is not old. Gymnastics is not one of them. The 39-year-old male gymnast was really remarkable (probably slightly less remarkable than the 37-year-old female gymnast, though).

This is my biggest issue with gymnastics in general, or at least on the women's side. It's not that a 37-year-old in the Olympics is remarkable; that's almost incredible. It's that a 20-year-old in the Olympics is remarkable. Think about that. There just seems, IMHO, to be something flawed about an athletic pursuit in which a more mature, stronger body (that's not yet old enough to suffer from endurance issues) is inherently ill-suited compared to that of a 16-year-old. For two reasons: first, it just seems weird that, unlike virtually every other event, the prototype best body for gymnastics is not bigger, faster, and stronger, and there's never an intersection between peak physical ability and adult-level mental and emotional maturity of the athlete (not that Olympic gymnasts don't show amazing resolve and all that, but it comes off as precocious rather than honed). Maybe that's a guy thing, but I just find it hard to take it as seriously as I otherwise might when it's essentially children competing. But more importantly, the fact that women peak in gymnastics at such an incredibly early age leads to them needing to prepare and train full time by the time they're like, 10 or so, if they have any hope to ever compete at an international level. That's absurd, and leads to predictably absurd results, such as children leaving behind their families before they're out of elementary school. I give huge credit to the U.S. program, as it appears every time around to be churning out well-rounded young women, and managing this difficulty, but I don't know how they do it.

pfrduke
08-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Stepping aside from the discussion of gymnastic age, there's a great semifinal match going on right now between the US and Canada in women's soccer. It's very physical and chippy, but also has a lot of up-and-down action and, at 3-3, is high scoring.

ETA: Bonus soccer for the masses - this one's in extra time.

Billy Dat
08-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Stepping aside from the discussion of gymnastic age, there's a great semifinal match going on right now between the US and Canada in women's soccer. It's very physical and chippy, but also has a lot of up-and-down action and, at 3-3, is high scoring.

ETA: Bonus soccer for the masses - this one's in extra time.

This is one of the best games I have ever seen and I have only been watching SINCE it was tied 3-3. Amazing energy, toughness, grit and passion on display!!!!

pfrduke
08-06-2012, 05:18 PM
This is one of the best games I have ever seen and I have only been watching SINCE it was tied 3-3. Amazing energy, toughness, grit and passion on display!!!!

GOAL!!!!!!!!

A brilliant header from Alex Morgan in the 123rd minute. Wow.

ETA: And it's over! USA! USA!

sagegrouse
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM

A header by Alex Morgan in extra time (roughly 2:20) of the second extra period was the winning goal. This was a very exciting match! Go USA, against Japan on Thursday for the Gold Medal!

sagegrouse
'Five of the seven goals were scored by alumnae of the U. of Portland: Sinclair for Canada had a hat trick, and Rapinoe had two goals'

JasonEvans
08-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I think you're COMPLETELY misunderstanding the discussion. I'm sure nobody is more disappointed in the result than Maroney herself. I'm not disappointed IN her, I'm disappointed FOR her, because she's the best and yet had an unbelievably unfortunate bad vault that cost her the gold medal.

The result can be disappointing (to the competitor and his/her fans). That does not mean we're disappointed in the competitor or his/her efforts. There is absolutely a distinction to be made there. I feel very badly for Maroney. In what was supposed to be her coronation on the greatest stage, she had an unfortunate hiccup. That hiccup is disappointing - not her or her effort.

CDu, I think you inadvertently thought my commentary on "disappointment" was directed at you. It was not. It as directed at NYC Duke Fan who brought up the whole notion of being disappointed in these athletes with his post that said:

I guess it would be either Jordyn Wieber or Ryan Lochte.

Your explanation is well-placed though. I too feel tremendous disappointment for so many of these athletes who come up short of their own giant expectations.

Think of it this way-- I can't imagine I could be the 4th best in the state of Georgia at just about anything. The idea that I could be 4th best in the Southeast region of the country at something is laughable to me. Being 4th best in the entire United States at something... that is a joke. There is nothing I do (not even bulletin board posting) at which I am the 4th best in the country... not even close.

So, the idea that someone could be 4th best in the world at some well-known activity -- 4th best at some sport -- well, that is almost beyond my understanding. And (you could probably guess this is where I was going) that 4th place person is crying right now because they came thaaaat close (holds fingers millimeters apart) to being #3 and winning a bronze medal.

7 billion people on this planet and for one tiny moment Mykayla Maroney was only the 2nd best on the planet at her particular area of expertise... and we all feel so much disappointment for her. It just seems so strange, doesn't it?

-Jason "who among us wouldn't kill to be 4th best in the world at anything?" Evans

JasonEvans
08-07-2012, 09:54 AM
What does it take to score a ZERO on a springboard dive? How about landing on your back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pCBAmtLbK0

-Jason "ouch, that hurts!" Evans

blazindw
08-07-2012, 11:25 AM
What does it take to score a ZERO on a springboard dive? How about landing on your back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pCBAmtLbK0

-Jason "ouch, that hurts!" Evans

Owww, Jason! That hurt me just looking at it

EDIT: Actually viewed it here: http://www.news.com.au/sport/london-olympics/german-stephan-feck-completes-dive-disaster-at-games/story-fndpu6dv-1226444423173

roywhite
08-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Spoiler Alert for Women's Gymnastics Balance Beam: Gabby Douglas followed her 8th place finish on the uneven bars with a 7th place finish on the balance beam.

She finishes with a Team Gold and an All-Around Gold, but evidently was tired and stressed out going into the individual apparatus events.

blazindw
08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Hey everyone,

We know that the Olympics are being done in real time (I know I'm watching them in real time), but for the events that will be covered in primetime, let's try to make an effort to not spoil it for those who cannot watch or read about it until then. Please put the text of what happened in white and keep the text of what you're talking about in the regular black. For example:

Spoiler Alert: For those who want to know what happened in the Men's 100m Final: BOLT DESTROYED EVERYONE! :)

You can highlight the hidden text if you really wish to know what happened. Thanks for the understanding everyone!

Dukefan1.0
08-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Although is has been eliminated from his individual events, but still has his relays to compete in and he has not been mentioned here to my knowledge I want to throw some love to Oscar Pistorius the blade runner from South Africa. You have probably remember him from 2007 were officials said he had an unfair advantage from his prosthetic legs, and ruled him ineligible from competing in IAAF competitions (i.e. 2008 Olympics). The ruling was overturned, but he failed to qualify for the games in Beijing that year.

Now in the present he has become the first amputee to compete in the Olympics. I commend him for following his dream to compete despite his condition, he shows that hard work and the drive to make your dream a reality can overcome any obstacle in your way.

CDu
08-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Spoiler Alert for Women's Gymnastics Floor Exercise:

Seems odd that your spoiler had nothing to do with the floor exercise...

blazindw
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Seems odd that your spoiler had nothing to do with the floor exercise...

That was my bad on the editing.

CDu
08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
That was my bad on the editing.

Ah, okay. Nothing to see here, carry on. :)

P.S. We caught a very nice gift of a break in that USA/Canada soccer match. Canada got kind of hosed on a hand ball call in the box (basically Rapinoe blasted a free kick off the defender's arm). It didn't look like the defender extended her arm at all, meaning it should have been considered part of her body (thus not a penalty). The resulting PK tied the match, setting up the dramatic end.

Still, controversial or not, I'll take the win!

blazindw
08-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Although is has been eliminated from his individual events, but still has his relays to compete in and he has not been mentioned here to my knowledge I want to throw some love to Oscar Pistorius the blade runner from South Africa. You have probably remember him from 2007 were officials said he had an unfair advantage from his prosthetic legs, and ruled him ineligible from competing in IAAF competitions (i.e. 2008 Olympics). The ruling was overturned, but he failed to qualify for the games in Beijing that year.

Now in the present he has become the first amputee to compete in the Olympics. I commend him for following his dream to compete despite his condition, he shows that hard work and the drive to make your dream a reality can overcome any obstacle in your way.

Just a fantastic story and I'm glad I got to see him run. Would have been great to see him in the finals, but his story is the true definition of the Olympic spirit.

blazindw
08-07-2012, 02:22 PM

P.S. We caught a very nice gift of a break in that USA/Canada soccer match. Canada got kind of hosed on a hand ball call in the box (basically Rapinoe blasted a free kick off the defender's arm). It didn't look like the defender extended her arm at all, meaning it should have been considered part of her body (thus not a penalty). The resulting PK tied the match, setting up the dramatic end.

It actually hit 2 arms and it was the 2nd one, off another defender, that was called. The first one, as you said, was considered part of the body, but they couldn't overlook the 2nd one.

There has also been some fantastic volleyball on. For the match that will most likely be shown again in primetime, May-Treanor/Walsh Jennings vs. the Chinese, here's a brief recap (SPOILER): May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings had to fight for this one, with some incredible rallies on both sides. The Chinese team was very formidable, but in the end, May-Treanor/Walsh Jennings advance to the final winning 2 sets to 0. Kessy/Ross will play at 4:00 Eastern to see if they can make it an all-American final.

pfrduke
08-07-2012, 02:24 PM

Not to mention that the penalty that resulted in the Rapinoe free kick was of the "goalie holding the ball too long" variety. Two debatable calls back to back that set Abby up for a penalty kick.

CDu
08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
It actually hit 2 arms and it was the 2nd one, off another defender, that was called. The first one, as you said, was considered part of the body, but they couldn't overlook the 2nd one.

They absolutely should have overlooked the second one, as the ball was heading directly into the defender's body. Her arm was across her chest when the ball struck her. It was a bad call. The only debatable one was the first one, which grazed the first defender's arm (again, close to her body).

Not to mention that the penalty that resulted in the Rapinoe free kick was of the "goalie holding the ball too long" variety. Two debatable calls back to back that set Abby up for a penalty kick.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part. It was a very dubious delay penalty on the keeper that set up the free kick, and then a very dubious handball call that set up the goal.

Now, I'm not saying that we wouldn't have scored later. There were over 10 minutes of play left when the penalties were called, so we surely had time to find an equalizer. And I'm certainly not sorry for the Canadians, who played some chippy, chippy soccer. But that sequence was highly dubious in favor of our ladies.

blazindw
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
They absolutely should have overlooked the second one, as the ball was heading directly into the defender's body. Her arm was across her chest when the ball struck her. It was a bad call. The only debatable one was the first one, which grazed the first defender's arm (again, close to her body).

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part. It was a very dubious delay penalty on the keeper that set up the free kick, and then a very dubious handball call that set up the goal.

Now, I'm not saying that we wouldn't have scored later. There were over 10 minutes of play left when the penalties were called, so we surely had time to find an equalizer. And I'm certainly not sorry for the Canadians, who played some chippy, chippy soccer. But that sequence was highly dubious in favor of our ladies.

I've seen handballs called for even less egregious touches than that one. I've also seen some more dubious handballs go uncalled...that's how soccer goes sometimes. The problem with the 2nd person (Tancredi) is that she was bringing her hand up to protect her face. The ball struck her arm as she was doing that...and that plus the deflection before denied a scoring opportunity. It was definitely unlucky on the part of the Canadians, but a ref will be hardpressed not to call that.

Here's an article that may explain how the penalty for timewasting came to be called on the keeper...a bit of gamesmanship by Abby Wambach throughout the game that led up to that moment: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--abby-wambach-s-brains-proved-to-be-big-assist-to-u-s--women-s-soccer-s-comeback-against-canada.html

CDu
08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I've seen handballs called for even less egregious touches than that one. I've also seen some more dubious handballs go uncalled...that's how soccer goes sometimes. The problem with the 2nd person (Tancredi) is that she was bringing her hand up to protect her face. The ball struck her arm as she was doing that...and that plus the deflection before denied a scoring opportunity. It was definitely unlucky on the part of the Canadians, but a ref will be hardpressed not to call that.

No disagreement on the disparity in officiating in soccer. And as such (and for other reasons), I feel no sympathy for Canada. However, I disagree on two other points.

1. The ball hitting the player's arm in no way denied a scoring opportunity. That ball was headed right at the chest (I don't think it was headed for her head) of the 2nd player. Had she stood still, it hits her and bounces away from the goal (just as it did anyway). The initial deflection was possibly more significant in redirecting the strike from its course. But the keeper wasn't out of position for the initial strike, so it's doubtful a goal would have resulted.
2. I disagree with the idea that a ref would be hard pressed not to call that. Neither was remotely a clear hand ball. And on the heels of such a dubious penalty in the first place, the ref would have been absolutely justified in letting them play on.

As you said, less has been called and more has gone uncalled. Soccer officiating is notoriously shaky (that, along with the diving and frequent chippy play, are the biggest marks against what is otherwise an amazing sport). Just saying that in this case the shaky/dubious officiating was in our favor.

Here's an article that may explain how the penalty for timewasting came to be called on the keeper...a bit of gamesmanship by Abby Wambach throughout the game that led up to that moment: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--abby-wambach-s-brains-proved-to-be-big-assist-to-u-s--women-s-soccer-s-comeback-against-canada.html

No question it was clever on Wambach's part. But that call is almost never made in soccer, even though keepers quite regularly hold it well beyond the allotted time. And when it is called, it's usually following at least one actual warning from the ref (which apparently didn't happen). Very dubious call.

blazindw
08-07-2012, 04:19 PM
No disagreement on the disparity in officiating in soccer. And as such (and for other reasons), I feel no sympathy for Canada. However, I disagree on two other points.

1. The ball hitting the player's arm in no way denied a scoring opportunity. That ball was headed right at the chest (I don't think it was headed for her head) of the 2nd player. Had she stood still, it hits her and bounces away from the goal (just as it did anyway). The initial deflection was possibly more significant in redirecting the strike from its course. But the keeper wasn't out of position for the initial strike, so it's doubtful a goal would have resulted.
2. I disagree with the idea that a ref would be hard pressed not to call that. Neither was remotely a clear hand ball. And on the heels of such a dubious penalty in the first place, the ref would have been absolutely justified in letting them play on.

As you said, less has been called and more has gone uncalled. Soccer officiating is notoriously shaky (that, along with the diving and frequent chippy play, are the biggest marks against what is otherwise an amazing sport). Just saying that in this case the shaky/dubious officiating was in our favor.

No question it was clever on Wambach's part. But that call is almost never made in soccer, even though keepers quite regularly hold it well beyond the allotted time. And when it is called, it's usually following at least one actual warning from the ref (which apparently didn't happen). Very dubious call.

We can agree that it was a 50/50 call and that this time, it benefitted the U.S. On the warning part, I do remember during the match the keeper holding up her hand in acknowledgement a few times like Wambach says happened. Were those warnings on timewasting? Only the Canadian keeper and the ref know that answer. Regardless, it sets up a rematch of last summer's Women's World Cup Final between the U.S. and Japan. It'll be a doozy!

CDu
08-07-2012, 04:30 PM
We can agree that it was a 50/50 call and that this time, it benefitted the U.S. On the warning part, I do remember during the match the keeper holding up her hand in acknowledgement a few times like Wambach says happened. Were those warnings on timewasting? Only the Canadian keeper and the ref know that answer. Regardless, it sets up a rematch of last summer's Women's World Cup Final between the U.S. and Japan. It'll be a doozy!

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether the calls were on the dubious or correct side of 50/50. The good news is that we got them in our favor. It does set up a fantastic final.

I thought we thoroughly outplayed Japan in the World Cup for the majority of the 1st half, but we couldn't take advantage of our chances. In the second half, Japan dominated much of the play. Every time we scored, they answered. Hopefully we can use our size to get an early goal or two to put the pressure on Japan.

blazindw
08-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether the calls were on the dubious or correct side of 50/50. The good news is that we got them in our favor. It does set up a fantastic final.

I thought we thoroughly outplayed Japan in the World Cup for the majority of the 1st half, but we couldn't take advantage of our chances. In the second half, Japan dominated much of the play. Every time we scored, they answered. Hopefully we can use our size to get an early goal or two to put the pressure on Japan.

We definitely need to apply pressure early and not let up on the gas. Japan is too good to let them go up on us like we allowed Canada to do (3 times!). The team has to finish chances and they have to play much better defensively than they did yesterday. We're definitely the favorites, but Japan is very capable of being the team atop the podium when it's all set and done.

SoCalDukeFan
08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Arrived Sunday after the long flight from LA. Went to Track and Field on Monday night and gymnastics today.

Super impressed with the planning and execution by the Brits. Everything seems to work very smoothly. Large crowds at Olympic Park but if you just allow enough time it seems like there is no problem. Evidently it is very difficult to get to Olympic Park except by public transportation. No parking lots. You must have an event ticket to get into the park and must pass security as well. Makes it easy to get into the actual venue. Having so many venues in one area does make for big crowds.

Everything is oriented toward Team GB, which is as it should be. But its hard to find a T Shirt or Cap that does not say Team GB. Team GB had a good weekend, one paper had a special supplement for the week end the Brits conquered the world. The BBC seems to be covering everything in its entirety but the focus and interviews are all with Brits.

At the two live venues they are doing an excellent job of explaining what is going on. Giant screens certainly help. BTW the women's pole vault was the first compettion to start on Monday and last to finish.
SoCal

gumbomoop
08-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Don't know if any of you knew about this incident in the U.S.-Canada football match.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/canada-melissa-tancredi-got-away-stomping-carli-lloyd-173222381--oly.html

I first saw it - literally, saw - yesterday [Tues] eve, I think on NBC Sports Network, which around 7 p.m. last eve showed the overtime. They didn't re-show the game, but at some point the commentators said, "Look at this." The slow-mo replay was a bit clearer in showing that Tancredi deliberately stomped on Carli Lloyd's head. Click on the link in the paragraph that begins, "The fuzzy image...." You will not be pleased that she got away with this.

Lots of what-ifs. IMO:

time-wasting call on goalie - bad, bad call, bogus in the extreme
hand-ball call - 50/50
Tancredi deliberate stomp - ref missed a blatant red-card

I hope Tancredi is banned from the bronze medal game by FIFA.

cspan37421
08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
While watching the game with my son I said half-seriously that Tancredi should be arrested for assault and battery for the way she was playing the game. Now this.

JasonEvans
08-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Regarding Wambach counting for the ref, I have seen this done many times in basketball to get a big man out of the paint. I did it myself as coach of a middle school team a year ago. Big man on the other team was camping in the lane. He did it one time and I yelled out, "number 12... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5..." by the time I got to 5 he had left the lane but I did it again the next time he went in there and when I got to 4 the refs blew their whistle and called him for 3 seconds. The ref then turned to me, smiled and said, "I got it from here, ok coach?" That was his way of telling me that he would continue to watch 3 seconds but that I needed to back off... which I did.

Kinda amusing story and one which has happened on many courts across the country, I am sure. Wambach doing it on a soccer field was just plain smart. When you count it out in front of a ref, they have to eventually listen to you.

I also heard that the Canadian goalie was warned by the line judge not to hold the ball too long prior to the call being made.

-Jason "still, a very controversial way to tie a big game -- if it was a Men's World Cup match, there would have been riots" Evans

blazindw
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Regarding Wambach counting for the ref, I have seen this done many times in basketball to get a big man out of the paint. I did it myself as coach of a middle school team a year ago. Big man on the other team was camping in the lane. He did it one time and I yelled out, "number 12... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5..." by the time I got to 5 he had left the lane but I did it again the next time he went in there and when I got to 4 the refs blew their whistle and called him for 3 seconds. The ref then turned to me, smiled and said, "I got it from here, ok coach?" That was his way of telling me that he would continue to watch 3 seconds but that I needed to back off... which I did.

Kinda amusing story and one which has happened on many courts across the country, I am sure. Wambach doing it on a soccer field was just plain smart. When you count it out in front of a ref, they have to eventually listen to you.

I also heard that the Canadian goalie was warned by the line judge not to hold the ball too long prior to the call being made.

-Jason "still, a very controversial way to tie a big game -- if it was a Men's World Cup match, there would have been riots" Evans

I've done the same in basketball and soccer...just sit there in the paint and count "1...2...3...4..." until the ref called it. In soccer, it's not called a lot, but normally there's a warning. The keeper's only supposed to hold it 5 seconds. If I count to ten repeatedly, the ref's going to either blow the whistle or listen to me counting to ten every time the keeper has the ball...which gets annoying, LOL. Eventually, I'd get the call I wanted. It's just like in basketball or football where after a timeout you'd go to the ref and say "#21's holding me every time, sir!" even if that's not the case. It gets the ref to watch out for that very thing you're saying is happening.

Don't know if any of you knew about this incident in the U.S.-Canada football match.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/canada-melissa-tancredi-got-away-stomping-carli-lloyd-173222381--oly.html

I first saw it - literally, saw - yesterday [Tues] eve, I think on NBC Sports Network, which around 7 p.m. last eve showed the overtime. They didn't re-show the game, but at some point the commentators said, "Look at this." The slow-mo replay was a bit clearer in showing that Tancredi deliberately stomped on Carli Lloyd's head. Click on the link in the paragraph that begins, "The fuzzy image...." You will not be pleased that she got away with this.

Lots of what-ifs. IMO:

time-wasting call on goalie - bad, bad call, bogus in the extreme
hand-ball call - 50/50
Tancredi deliberate stomp - ref missed a blatant red-card

I hope Tancredi is banned from the bronze medal game by FIFA.

I'm glad you brought that up. Tancredi should have been redcarded for that. This is the second cheap shot that has gone uncalled against the U.S. in this tourney (Abby Wambach getting sucker punched by a Columbian player...that player eventually did get suspended, but it wasn't called during the match).

sagegrouse
08-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Favorite Olympic moment per an e-mail to ESPN Radio: "Convincing my wife that I could pick the winners in the track events every time."

BTW, I am loving Scott Van Pelt's wry coverage of team handball and other drolleries in London -- not bad for a Terp.

sage

Mal
08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Just a fantastic story and I'm glad I got to see him run. Would have been great to see him in the finals, but his story is the true definition of the Olympic spirit. Agreed, that was really great. I loved that the guy who won his semifinal went straight over to Pistorius and asked to trade racer numbers.

I was also very glad that there was a lot of discussion and articles about the physics and physiology of how he runs, and what those blades really are and do. I was skeptical at first, assuming they probably acted sort of like springs and imparted some kind of advantage, but that's totally not the case. They return energy after impact with the ground at a much lower rate than human feet and calves, and Pistorius takes as many strides in 400 meters as anyone else. In addition, since they're basically flat and don't bend the way a foot and ankle do, he's at a significant advantage in inside lanes when running the curves. In case there was any lingering doubt, the video of him absolutely destroying everyone else with similar prosthetics at the paralympics and other events is all one would need to see to know that he's just a remarkable athlete, and not a "beneficiary" of technology that trumps human physiology.

Totally unrelated, but man, after about five minutes I just can't take any more water polo. What they're able to do while treading water and swimming for half an hour is amazing, but the constant whistles, the lack of any difference between what happens one time down the pool to the next, and the fact that there's absolutely no transition play in the mid-section of the pool (it seems like they just swim from one end to the other to switch from offense to defense) just bore me to death. Same thing with handball. I'm sure I miss all the subtleties, but to my eyes it just looks like every team does exactly the same thing tactically, and determining the winner is just a matter of strength and execution. I guess maybe the real beauty of basketball, soccer and hockey vs. other goalscoring games is the variation and play in the middle of the field.

blazindw
08-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Agreed, that was really great. I loved that the guy who won his semifinal went straight over to Pistorius and asked to trade racer numbers.

That racer was the eventual winner of the 400m, Kirani James. He said he respected Pistorius and wanted to trade racing bibs with him. He actually won the first Olympic medal of any kind in Grenada's history. Their response: a half-day holiday (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/07/us-oly-grenada-kirani-idUSBRE87613B20120807).

BD80
08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
... He actually won the first Olympic medal of any kind in Grenada's history. Their response: a half-day holiday (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/07/us-oly-grenada-kirani-idUSBRE87613B20120807).

In amusing contrast, Australia is so upset over its medal count that a commission has been appointed to remedy the situation for the next Olympics.

The Australiam Press is blaming Australian coaches leaving to coach in other countries for more money:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/london-olympics/how-world-stole-the-brains-behind-australian-sport/story-fn9dirj0-1226444297111

JasonEvans
08-08-2012, 02:45 PM
In case there was any lingering doubt, the video of him absolutely destroying everyone else with similar prosthetics at the paralympics and other events is all one would need to see to know that he's just a remarkable athlete, and not a "beneficiary" of technology that trumps human physiology.

The clip of his first-ever Paralympics race, where he forgets to start and is just sitting there in the blocks for a few seconds while everyone else takes off followed by him just obliterating the field despite spotting all of them a couple of seconds, is just stunning. He is clearly an incredibly gifted athlete... who just happens to have a terrible handicap.

--Jason "a handicap which he has largely overcome... a true inspiration" Evans

P.S. - Can't wait to see him in the 4x400 relay where his poor starting will not be a big hindrance

gus
08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
The clip of his first-ever Paralympics race, where he forgets to start and is just sitting there in the blocks for a few seconds while everyone else takes off followed by him just obliterating the field despite spotting all of them a couple of seconds, is just stunning. He is clearly an incredibly gifted athlete... who just happens to have a terrible handicap.

--Jason "a handicap which he has largely overcome... a true inspiration" Evans

P.S. - Can't wait to see him in the 4x400 relay where his poor starting will not be a big hindrance

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/19/article-1184359-04FCADDB000005DC-166_468x573.jpg

Olympic Fan
08-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Somebody mentioned earlier that it seems odd not have Russia among the medal leaders ... I was looking at the medal list and realized the impact the breakup of the Soviet Union has had on the Olympic medal standings.

In the first place, Russia is not doing too badly. As of now, they are a distant third in total medals (62) and close fifth in gold mdals (11).

BUT ...

When you add in the medal count of the other former Russian Republics, you get:

Belarus three gold, nine medals
Ukraine three gold, nine medals
Kazakhstan six gold and eight medals
Azerbajan 0 golds, six medals
Georgia one gold, five medals
Lithuania one gold, two medals
Uzbekistan and Tajkistanm, one medal each

By my count, that works out to 25 golds and 103 medals ... the golds would still be third to the USA (34) and China (36), but the overall medal coun would be far in the lead.

Of course, there could be some duplication in sports like weightlighting and wrestling, where several Soviet Republics might get extra participants because of the breakup. But in a couple of places I know it hurts them -- for instance, Russia just beat Lithuania in the medal round ... take the best players from both teams and how much better would they be?

Let's get Back in the ... Back in the ... Back in the USSR!

CDu
08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Somebody mentioned earlier that it seems odd not have Russia among the medal leaders ... I was looking at the medal list and realized the impact the breakup of the Soviet Union has had on the Olympic medal standings.

In the first place, Russia is not doing too badly. As of now, they are a distant third in total medals (62) and close fifth in gold mdals (11).

BUT ...

When you add in the medal count of the other former Russian Republics, you get:

Belarus three gold, nine medals
Ukraine three gold, nine medals
Kazakhstan six gold and eight medals
Azerbajan 0 golds, six medals
Georgia one gold, five medals
Lithuania one gold, two medals
Uzbekistan and Tajkistanm, one medal each

By my count, that works out to 25 golds and 103 medals ... the golds would still be third to the USA (34) and China (36), but the overall medal coun would be far in the lead.

Of course, there could be some duplication in sports like weightlighting and wrestling, where several Soviet Republics might get extra participants because of the breakup. But in a couple of places I know it hurts them -- for instance, Russia just beat Lithuania in the medal round ... take the best players from both teams and how much better would they be?

Let's get Back in the ... Back in the ... Back in the USSR!

Yeah, I was talking about this with Starter in another thread regarding what would have been the Yugoslavian and Soviet basketball teams of 1992. The split took away a few medals and absolutely weakened those countries in the team events.

DevilWearsPrada
08-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Kerri Walsh and Misty May just won the GOLD in Womens Beach Volleyball! A ThreePeat Olympic win for the Duo!! The other USA womens duo won the SILVER!

AtlBluRew
08-08-2012, 10:25 PM
If Lashinda Demus had run that last 25 meters with anything close to resembling good form ... Arms pumping straight ahead instead of flailing wildly at her sides and torso held higher ... She'd probably have a gold medal in the 400m hurdles now. You can't lean for the win from 25 meters away!

I'm still bored by excessive prime time coverage of beach volleyball. Fortunately there was a rugby 7s tournament on another channel.

blazindw
08-08-2012, 10:27 PM
If Lashinda Demus had run that last 25 meters with anything close to resembling good form ... Arms pumping straight ahead instead of flailing wildly at her sides and torso held higher ... She'd probably have a gold medal in the 400m hurdles now. You can't lean for the win from 25 meters away!

I'm still bored by excessive prime time coverage of beach volleyball. Fortunately there was a rugby 7s tournament on another channel.

I was real sad she didn't hold on for the gold. She's been a great sprinter throughout the past couple years. I believe her when she says she'll be back in Rio to get the gold that eludes her, but she should be real proud of silver in these games.

AtlBluRew
08-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I was real sad she didn't hold on for the gold. She's been a great sprinter throughout the past couple years. I believe her when she says she'll be back in Rio to get the gold that eludes her, but she should be real proud of silver in these games.

I agree. I was pulling for her. I'm wondering why an experienced runner fell apart like that at the end. Was it the stress of the moment? Or was it something else that has been frustrating me as I have watched the heats in nearly all track events ... the widespread tendency to ease up and "conserve energy" for the finals. Take Usain Bolt, for instance ... How much longer can it take to recover from your 200 heat if you run that last 100 meters at 100% rather than 75%? Demus eased up in her semifinal too. It's a bad habit that should not be part of practice or of heats.

blazindw
08-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I agree. I was pulling for her. I'm wondering why an experienced runner fell apart like that at the end. Was it the stress of the moment? Or was it something else that has been frustrating me as I have watched the heats in nearly all track events ... the widespread tendency to ease up and "conserve energy" for the finals. Take Usain Bolt, for instance ... How much longer can it take to recover from your 200 heat if you run that last 100 meters at 100% rather than 75%? Demus eased up in her semifinal too. It's a bad habit that should not be part of practice or of heats.

As a former sprinter (though unfortunately not of the world class level as these athletes...but I was close in high school!), I can empathize with the release of form. As you get tired, your body starts to overcompensate and you lose your form...that's what happened at the end of the hurdles to Demus. She just couldn't keep her form.

Also on the note of conserving energy for the final, it does help you recover a bit more. There's also something about not showing your cards to your opponents as well as not peaking before the final. If you set a WR in the semis but lose the final, does anyone remember it? Not as much as they would if it comes in the final. That's where Usain Bolt is otherworldly...he blows everyone away in the prelims and semis doing about 50% and then steps up on the big stage unlike anyone I've ever seen. The only doubt he leaves is whether he could have gone even faster if he hadn't eased up to celebrate 65m into a race. But every bit of energy helps for that big moment. In any sport, do you go 100% the day before a game or match? No, you have a light workout/practice/walkthrough and you save your strength for when it counts.

Olympic Fan
08-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Not that NBC paid much attention, but a spectacular day for the top two Americans in the Decatlon.

Through five events, world record holder Ashton Eaton leads teammate Trey Hardee (the two-time world champion) by 220 points. Canadian Damien Warren of Canada is third, another 55 points behind Hardee. Good chance for the US to finish 1-2 in the decathlon for the first time since 1956 when Milt Campbell and Rafer Johnson did it.

Of course, you can't count anything for certain in the decathlon. What happened in the 1948 London Olympic Games demonstrates that.

After six events in the '48 decathlon, the leader was a guy from Gastonia, NC, named Floyd "Chunk" Simmons.

Simmons was a real-life Forrest Gump, always missing fame by a hair. He was a great high school football player, who enlisted in the Army for WWII before college. He was in the 10th Mountain Division and in 1945 in Italy, he was wounde by a shellburst -- at almost the same time and same place as Bob Dole. Dole lost the use of his arm ... Simmons merely had the tips of his three middle fingers on his right hand removed. He returned to North Carolina and joined the UNC football team, where he was the backup tailback to Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice. But Simmons thought he was better than Justice and rather than move to wingback, he quit the team and moved to the West Coast to train as a track athlete.

He became a great hurdler and by 1948, he was a decathlete, making he US Olympic team. But his injuried hand turned into a major problem as Simmons prepared to throw the discus in London. It was raining that day and with his fingertips gone, Simmons couldn't get a grip on the discus and had a terrible throw, dropping him back to third and opening the door for 17-year-old Bob Mathias, who became the youngest man to ever win the decathalon. Simmons would have won with his normal throw ... instead he finished third and got the bronze. He got a second bronze in the event in 1952 as Mathias repeated. Simmons said that it always nagged him that he should have won in 1948 ... by 1952, the 21-year-old Mathias was a better athlete and (according to Simmons) deserved the gold.

Simmons moved to Hollywood in the 1950s and used to run on the beach with another aspiring young actor -- Clint Eastwood. For a while, it looked like Simmons was going to make it before Eastwood. He earned a small, but visible role in the movie version of South Pacific (he played Commander Harbison) and was cast for the male lead (Brick was after all a hurdler)opposite Elizabeth Taylor in the film version of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ... but the original director was fired and Richard Brooks, who directed the Tennessee Williams play on Boradway, was brought in to direct. He replaced Simmons with a promising young actor named Paul Newman -- it was the part that made him a star.

Simmons was cast as the lead in a TV series about a modern day sherrif, but the pilot wasn't picked up and his acting career petered out. Simmons spent some years in the South Pacific, trying to be an artist, but finally returned to North Carolina and became a successful professional photographer. He died a few years ago.

I realize this doesn't have a lot to do with Eaton and Hardee battling for the 2012 gold, but I think it's interesting and it is a connection with the last Olympic games played in London.

AtlBluRew
08-09-2012, 07:42 AM
In any sport, do you go 100% the day before a game or match? No, you have a light workout/practice/walkthrough and you save your strength for when it counts.

Thanks for that perspective. I hadn't thought of the heats as practice. That makes sense to me, as does not showing the cards.

allenmurray
08-09-2012, 07:55 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/19/article-1184359-04FCADDB000005DC-166_468x573.jpg

All olympians are inspirational to some degree - the sheer work and dedication it takes to make an olympic team in any sport is phenomenol. But when I look at this picture and think of the kids who may now really believe, maybe for the first time, that they can have the life they want, and do the things they want to do, because of the example this guy set, I am speechless.

He wins the gold medal for inspiration. No one else comes close.

Thank you for posting that picture. As someone who has spent a career working with people with disabilities very little can bring me to tears. I hope my keyboard is waterproof.

gus
08-09-2012, 09:29 AM
All olympians are inspirational to some degree - the sheer work and dedication it takes to make an olympic team in any sport is phenomenol. But when I look at this picture and think of the kids who may now really believe, maybe for the first time, that they can have the life they want, and do the things they want to do, because of the example this guy set, I am speechless.

He wins the gold medal for inspiration. No one else comes close.

Thank you for posting that picture. As someone who has spent a career working with people with disabilities very little can bring me to tears. I hope my keyboard is waterproof.

He is inspirational, and I'm really happy he was allowed to compete. I found the picture while looking for videos of him running. Seeing how he simply blows away the competition in the paralympics makes it clear he doesn't have a bio-mechanical advantage... he simply has a regular athletic advantage.

Here's the full story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1184359/Amputee-5-world-beater-bionic-blades.html

This article was a few years ago.

Here's the little girl now (hope you found that waterproof keyboard):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2063565/Meningitis-victim-defies-odds-play-school-football-team.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/19/article-2063565-0EDC431D00000578-899_634x592.jpg

killerleft
08-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Tastes differ, of course. I sat spellbound during the women's semifinal featuring Walsh/May-Treanor. The atleticism was world class, the effort both teams exerted was superb. One point (that gave the Americans the working margin at the end of the match) was as fine an example of Olympic play you will ever see.

Billy Dat
08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Tastes differ, of course. I sat spellbound during the women's semifinal featuring Walsh/May-Treanor. The atleticism was world class, the effort both teams exerted was superb. One point (that gave the Americans the working margin at the end of the match) was as fine an example of Olympic play you will ever see.

I had a similar experience. I was never into beach volleyball because I thought they only showed it for the T&A appeal and I was generally mad that it seemed to always be on. I watched the entire semi-final, and then the final last night, as spellbound as killerleft. Aside from agreeing with his assessment, I found that Misty May-Treanor is one of the best leaders and skilled athletes at her sport that I have ever seen. As one of the announcers said last night, she has every shot in the book. She doesn't look like an elite athlete, yet she is partly because she is a veteran in full command of her craft, able to summon power or finesse as the situation demands. She rarely, if ever, makes a mistake. Once you get a general sense of the game, her abilities come into sharper focus. Man - she was amazing.

Olympic Fan
08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
SPOLIER ALERT

Well, it looks like American Ashton Eaton is now a lock for the decathlon gold. He leads Hardee by 222 points after the pole vault (the eighth event). That's the last one where a guy can really blow up. And with Eaton being a better runner than Hardee, he's not likely to lose the lead in the 1,500:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/trackandfield/story/_/id/8250680/2012-london-olympics-ashton-eaton-extends-decathlon-lead-222-points-eight-events

Billy Dat
08-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I just saw an incredible Olympic moment while trying to find the USA v Japan Gold Medal Soccer game.

The primary NBC channel (4) was carrying the Women's Water Polo Bronze Medal Game. I saw that there were only 45 seconds left in the game and the Hungarians, trailing 11-10 to the Aussies, had the ball. After hitting the goal post with a shot, the Hungarians took what seemed to be an ill advised desperation heave with 8 seconds left. The Aussie goalie easily corralled it and the game seemed over. However, the commentators exclaimed, "Watch out for the underwater goalie attack!" Indeed, a Hungarian player was coming in for a sneak attack under the surface while her teammate attacked from above. They knocked the ball away and threw it in, blinded, backhanded, as time expired to tie the game and send it into OT. As of this writing, the Aussies are up 1 headed into the mandatory second extra OT.

The underwater goalie attack....gotta love the Olympics.

CDu
08-09-2012, 03:39 PM

Well, she wasn't favored last night, and trailed the whole race. It would have taken a very amazing finish for her to have caught the Russian favorite from behind. But, it just wasn't to be. It was, I believe, her best time of the year. It's just that the Russian ran the second fastest Olympic time ever to beat her. She should definitely be proud.

On the women's soccer front, we are leading a charmed life with regard to hand ball calls. They had a no doubt about it hand ball in the penalty area on a Japanese free kick that went uncalled. They've survived that miscall and a few other dangerous chances (Solo made one VERY nice save, got aided by her defense in clearing another ball off goal, and then got some help from the post on another) to take a 1-0 lead into half. Hopefully the defense holds up in the 2nd half. Either that, or we get another goal to make the Japanese attack work extra hard.

Billy Dat
08-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Well, she wasn't favored last night, and trailed the whole race. It would have taken a very amazing finish for her to have caught the Russian favorite from behind. But, it just wasn't to be. It was, I believe, her best time of the year. It's just that the Russian ran the second fastest Olympic time ever to beat her. She should definitely be proud.

On the women's soccer front, we are leading a charmed life with regard to hand ball calls. They had a no doubt about it hand ball in the penalty area on a Japanese free kick that went uncalled. They've survived that miscall and a few other dangerous chances (Solo made one VERY nice save, got aided by her defense in clearing another ball off goal, and then got some help from the post on another) to take a 1-0 lead into half. Hopefully the defense holds up in the 2nd half. Either that, or we get another goal to make the Japanese attack work extra hard.

My god, if the US can hold off Japan, it will be a miraculous win. This Japanese team is THE TRUTH!

CDu
08-09-2012, 04:26 PM
My god, if the US can hold off Japan, it will be a miraculous win. This Japanese team is THE TRUTH!

The match is playing out fairly similarly to the World Cup match. The US dominated the first ~30 minutes. The Japanese took over as the match progressed. The difference in this case is that we actually got a goal early, and the defense/Solo has been better at keeping the ball out of the net (the hand ball no-call didn't hurt).

It could very well be a furious last 8-10 minutes. The Japanese are faster and they'll give it their all.

Billy Dat
08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
The match is playing out fairly similarly to the World Cup match. The US dominated the first ~30 minutes. The Japanese took over as the match progressed. The difference in this case is that we actually got a goal early, and the defense/Solo has been better at keeping the ball out of the net (the hand ball no-call didn't hurt).

It could very well be a furious last 8-10 minutes. The Japanese are faster and they'll give it their all.

Like the World Cup, I feel like the team that played better lost. It all evens out over time I guess.

davekay1971
08-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Not to be too critical of what is and isn't sport, but rythmic gymnastics is now on. In what way is this an athletic competition? It's a very beautiful dance competition, but I keep expecting Bristol Palin to come out with a ribbon for the pairs competition. About the time the commentator started going on about how grueling and tiring the ribbon twirling is, but how the ribbon competition is one of the most exciting Olympic events, I'm done. I think the men and women who rocked us with the 4x200 swimming relays would beg to differ.

Back to work now, and waiting for some world class athletes to start an athletic competition I can clearly identify as sport, in about 105 minutes. Go USA!

ArkieDukie
08-10-2012, 09:03 PM

I'll second that. What an incredible match - in fact, it was better than the gold medal match. The duo from China will be a force in the future; both players were only in their 20s IIRC. I was extremely impressed with them.

ArkieDukie
08-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I had a similar experience. I was never into beach volleyball because I thought they only showed it for the T&A appeal and I was generally mad that it seemed to always be on. I watched the entire semi-final, and then the final last night, as spellbound as killerleft. Aside from agreeing with his assessment, I found that Misty May-Treanor is one of the best leaders and skilled athletes at her sport that I have ever seen. As one of the announcers said last night, she has every shot in the book. She doesn't look like an elite athlete, yet she is partly because she is a veteran in full command of her craft, able to summon power or finesse as the situation demands. She rarely, if ever, makes a mistake. Once you get a general sense of the game, her abilities come into sharper focus. Man - she was amazing.

May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings are an amazing TEAM, and I think that may be the secret to their success. They communicate so well on the court, and your observations about Misty May-Treanor are spot-on. Funny thing is, I enjoy their game for the same reason I always enjoyed Shane Battier's game: both almost seem to anticipate the next play and manage to be in the right place at the right time. As much fun as it is to watch indoor volleyball, I've come to the conclusion that those who play beach volleyball might have to be even more skilled.

rthomas
08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Not to be too critical of what is and isn't sport, but rythmic gymnastics is now on. In what way is this an athletic competition? It's a very beautiful dance competition, but I keep expecting Bristol Palin to come out with a ribbon for the pairs competition. About the time the commentator started going on about how grueling and tiring the ribbon twirling is, but how the ribbon competition is one of the most exciting Olympic events, I'm done. I think the men and women who rocked us with the 4x200 swimming relays would beg to differ.

Back to work now, and waiting for some world class athletes to start an athletic competition I can clearly identify as sport, in about 105 minutes. Go USA!

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, BUT rythmic gymnastics became an olympic sport in 1984 in the LA Olympics. It's a little late to complain. And its more worthy to complain that the Olympics dropped women's softball.

Tom B.
08-10-2012, 10:52 PM
And its more worthy to complain that the Olympics dropped women's softball.

And baseball.

SoCalDukeFan
08-11-2012, 08:20 AM

This has been a once in a lifetime experience for me.

SoCal