PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Bruce surgery

PDDuke85
07-25-2012, 01:16 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205530497&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Get well big guy, be part of the celebrations pending

chrishoke
07-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Practice has not even started and we are down 3 starters! We have zero depth at defensive tackle. This is just unbelievable.

mkline09
07-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Practice has not even started and we are down 3 starters! We have zero depth at defensive tackle. This is just unbelievable.

Got to think they will move some defensive tackles to "noseguard" (though they are thin there too) and perhaps some defensive ends may move to the position (a bit more depth there), but yeah the defensive front is already thin and injuries don't help.

Greg_Newton
07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Jesus, it's just always one cruel joke after another with Duke football. If there's was ever a position where we couldn't afford to lose a player, it was nose guard... and there goes our starter.

Fairly devastating news from a football standpoint.

Acymetric
07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Got to think they will move some defensive tackles to "noseguard" (though they are thin there too) and perhaps some defensive ends may move to the position (a bit more depth there), but yeah the defensive front is already thin and injuries don't help.

I think we have enough o-line depth to move one of our backups over to DT or NG. The question, of course, is whether any of them are capable of playing on the defensive side effectively enough to justify the move.

Bob Green
07-25-2012, 07:05 PM
If there's was ever a position where we couldn't afford to lose a player, it was nose guard... and there goes our starter.

Hopefully, Jamal will make a quick and full recovery as we need him anchoring the middle. It is hard to be successful defensively when your opponent can run up the middle at will.

chrishoke
07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Call Penn State.

killerleft
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Call Penn State.

Ha! Probably not even legal. Get well, Jamal!

peloton
07-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Actually, according to the NCAA PSU football players are "fair game" according to an article I just looked at re:the sanctions, etc...

One of the main penalties that the football team will suffer is allowing any current player to leave the program for another school without that player suffering any consequences.

Let's face it - this is only fair to these young men of course, so snagging a DT or whatever is not out of the realm of possibility.

jimsumner
07-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Actually, according to the NCAA PSU football players are "fair game" according to an article I just looked at re:the sanctions, etc...

Let's face it - this is only fair to these young men of course, so snagging a DT or whatever is not out of the realm of possibility.

There's no question that PSU players are fair game and can play immediately. The question is can schools contact them first or do the players have to initiate contact?

I don't know the answer to this. Clarification sought.

FWIW, Cut said in Greensboro that Duke didn't get very deep in the recruitment of any current PSU players and wasn't all that comfortable starting from scratch so close to the beginning of practice.

gep
07-27-2012, 12:08 AM
What I've heard is that a school can contact the Penn State AD and let them know the they are interested in certain players. The AD then tells the player that there's these schools that are interested in him, and it's then up to the player to contact the school... something like that, anyway.:confused:

I've also heard that the school is crawling with coaches... so bad that some players have a hard time getting into classroom buildings with the "mob" at the front door... FWIW

peloton
07-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Jim and gep, according to The New York Times here's the basic process...

The N.C.A.A. has stipulated that other programs must notify Penn State of their interest in a player, and that a player must request permission to seek a transfer. If those conditions have been met, teams may travel anywhere to visit a player, or call the players at any time — both of which would normally be against N.C.A.A. rules — until Penn State’s first day of classes on Aug. 27.

The players will be allowed to transfer before this season, at any time during the season if they haven’t competed for Penn State, or prior to the 2013 season. They will be allowed to play immediately for their new universities, which will be permitted to exceed scholarship limits in taking on the Penn State players if they deduct that amount for the next season.

As it was during their high school recruitment, Penn State players interested in transferring will be allowed five official visits to other universities during the 2012-13 academic year.

I find the bit about scholarship limits to be interesting and logical (but maybe it's just me).

Greg_Newton
07-28-2012, 12:11 AM
We need to find our own Voodoo Tatum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz5TMcS56ng) up there. Where's Buddy Garrity when you need him? :p

-bdbd
07-28-2012, 12:25 AM

Any doctors in the house? Regarding this sort of injury/surgery, what is to be expected as a "normal" interval before returning to game-level action?

"...foot surgery on Tuesday to repair a stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone in his right foot. "

Is this likely to be season-ending or one of those 6-week things where he's back for the ACC part of the sked? :confused:

But I agree, CALL PENN STATE!
Look, DT is such a weak spot for us, what do we have to lose?? Even if we don't have well-developed relationships with many of them, given the Duke connection to the PSU Head Coach, at a minimum, if I'm Cut, I call up their HC and say,"Respectfully, I'm not comfortable raiding your cubboard. BUT, if any kids come to you and say they want out, and maybe are looking for advice as to where they should go, since you know Duke so well, can you please keep my number handy and suggest Duke to them if there's a fit?"

juise
07-28-2012, 01:01 AM
We need to find our own Voodoo Tatum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz5TMcS56ng) up there. Where's Buddy Garrity when you need him? :p

Buddy's more the Tar Heel booster type, I think. :D

Greg_Newton
07-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Buddy's more the Tar Heel booster type, I think. :D

"Ya said... Julius Naranga-who, now?"

(ETA: ...he always did kind of remind me of Swofford, actually):

Olympic Fan
07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Big blow -- Bruce, who played as a redshirt freshman last fall, stepped up big in spring and was expected to help ease the loss of Charlie Hatcher, our best interior DL.

No recovery time mentioned, but this is the same injury that Elton Brand suffered as a freshman and Carlos Boozer suffered twice -- once on each foot. The recovering time in both cases was listed as 6-ot-8 weeks and in the case of Brand in 97-98 and Booser before the 99-00 season, that was about right. But when Boozer suffered his second broken fifth metatarsul against Maryland in the last week of the 2001 regular season, he came back MUCH faster -- he made a token appearance in the regionals (a little over three weeks later), then played a significant role in the Final Four (just over four weeks).

I can't say whether it's easier or tougher before a football DL to come back from that injury -- not as much jumping, but a lot more violent contact.

Still, six weeks would bring Bruce back in mid-September -- eight weeks by the end of the month. He could still play most of the season. And since he's already redshirted, not much sense in holding him out.

Until he returns, we'll need a couple of guys to step up. A big one is Steven Ingram, who has the size to be a force inside, but has been disappointing so far. Also, the Duke coaches have a lot of hope that true freshman Carlos Wray can make a big impact.

It's still a tough loss.

jimsumner
07-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Big blow -- Bruce, who played as a redshirt freshman last fall, stepped up big in spring and was expected to help ease the loss of Charlie Hatcher, our best interior DL.

No recovery time mentioned, but this is the same injury that Elton Brand suffered as a freshman and Carlos Boozer suffered twice -- once on each foot. The recovering time in both cases was listed as 6-ot-8 weeks and in the case of Brand in 97-98 and Booser before the 99-00 season, that was about right. But when Boozer suffered his second broken fifth metatarsul against Maryland in the last week of the 2001 regular season, he came back MUCH faster -- he made a token appearance in the regionals (a little over three weeks later), then played a significant role in the Final Four (just over four weeks).

I can't say whether it's easier or tougher before a football DL to come back from that injury -- not as much jumping, but a lot more violent contact.

Still, six weeks would bring Bruce back in mid-September -- eight weeks by the end of the month. He could still play most of the season. And since he's already redshirted, not much sense in holding him out.

Until he returns, we'll need a couple of guys to step up. A big one is Steven Ingram, who has the size to be a force inside, but has been disappointing so far. Also, the Duke coaches have a lot of hope that true freshman Carlos Wray can make a big impact.

It's still a tough loss.

I'm told that Jamal Wallace might move inside from DE. Note the qualifier.