PDA

View Full Version : Cook and Marshall make Nations Cup team

jimsumner
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
No, I've never heard of it, either. But it's a chance to play some high-level hoops and that ain't bad.

From Duke press release.

"Duke's Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee will play for the East Coast All-Stars in the 2012 Four Nations Cup. The four-team tournament will be played in Tallinn, Estonia from July 29-31. The East Coast All-Stars will participate in a two-day training camp at Lycoming College (July 24-25) before heading to Estonia for the tournament. . . .

The Blue Devil tandem is joined on the team by Jerald Williams (Lycoming), Juwan Staten (West Virginia), Nick Faust (Maryland), Brad Redford (Xavier), Michael Holton, Jr. (St. Michael's), Kevin Anthony (Lycoming), Dwight Powell (Stanford), Zach McCabe (Iowa) and Kevin Noreen (West Virginia).

Guy Ramcourt (Lycoming) will serve as the head coach for the tournament and will be assisted by Mike Jones, Mark Marino and John Bauersfeld.

The East Coast All-Stars will compete against Georgia, led by Atlanta Hawks center Zaza Pachulia, the Czech Republic, led by the #6 pick (Washington Wizards) in the 2011 NBA Draft Jan Vesely, and the host country Estonia.

Per NCAA rules donations may be made to a general fund, but not for an individual player. Anthony Travel, Inc. serves as the general fund and no player will receive compensation above the teams actual and necessary expenses. Donations should be made payable to: Anthony Travel, Inc.

Additional information on the East Coast All-Stars is available at http://guyrancourt.com/eastcoast.htm. Updates on the tournament will also be available on twitter (@East_Coast_BBC) and Facebook (East Coast All Stars).

East Coast All-Stars Schedule

July 27 vs. Viimsi Spordikeskuss (exhibition)

July 29 vs. Czech Republic

July 30 vs. Estonia

July 31 vs. Republic of Georgia"

OldPhiKap
07-23-2012, 11:00 PM
No, I've never heard of it, either. But it's a chance to play some high-level hoops and that ain't bad.

From Duke press release.

"Duke's Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee will play for the East Coast All-Stars in the 2012 Four Nations Cup. The four-team tournament will be played in Tallinn, Estonia from July 29-31. The East Coast All-Stars will participate in a two-day training camp at Lycoming College (July 24-25) before heading to Estonia for the tournament. . . .

The Blue Devil tandem is joined on the team by Jerald Williams (Lycoming), Juwan Staten (West Virginia), Nick Faust (Maryland), Brad Redford (Xavier), Michael Holton, Jr. (St. Michael's), Kevin Anthony (Lycoming), Dwight Powell (Stanford), Zach McCabe (Iowa) and Kevin Noreen (West Virginia).
L
Guy Ramcourt (Lycoming) will serve as the head coach for the tournament and will be assisted by Mike Jones, Mark Marino and John Bauersfeld.

The East Coast All-Stars will compete against Georgia, led by Atlanta Hawks center Zaza Pachulia, the Czech Republic, led by the #6 pick (Washington Wizards) in the 2011 NBA Draft Jan Vesely, and the host country Estonia.

Per NCAA rules donations may be made to a general fund, but not for an individual player. Anthony Travel, Inc. serves as the general fund and no player will receive compensation above the teams actual and necessary expenses. Donations should be made payable to: Anthony Travel, Inc.

Additional information on the East Coast All-Stars is available at http://guyrancourt.com/eastcoast.htm. Updates on the tournament will also be available on twitter (@East_Coast_BBC) and Facebook (East Coast All Stars).

East Coast All-Stars Schedule

July 27 vs. Viimsi Spordikeskuss (exhibition)

July 29 vs. Czech Republic

July 30 vs. Estonia

July 31 vs. Republic of Georgia"

Congratulations, have fun and dominate!

UrinalCake
07-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Wow, this has to be the most obscure tournament/all-star/national team I've ever heard of. But hey, any kind of competition is better than none so I'm glad two of our guys made it on the team and look forward to hearing how they do. I don't imagine these games will be on ESPN ;)

awhom111
07-24-2012, 01:02 AM
This will be a pretty great experience even though I have the suspicion that they could suffer a tough loss or two. This is not really a tournament in the way that we think of a tournament. The three national teams are all preparing for the Eurobasket qualifiers in August. In order to get a number of warmup games in a short period of time, a national team will usually bring in a few other teams and set up a round-robin, which eliminates the need to travel to each of the countries to play. Sometimes one of the teams will be a college team or other American traveling team to bring in some more unfamiliar opposition.

burnspbesq
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Interesting mix of players. I'll be surprised if the D3 guys can keep up with this level of competition, but if Holton Jr. is as smart and tough as his old man, he might be able to contribute.

Jim3k
07-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Seems to be an exhibition game today (http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/237754/13/Dukes-Cook-And-Plumlee-To-Play-In-2012-Four-Nations-Cup) against Viimsi Spordikeskus. I tried searching for it, but got zilch--probably because I can't read the language. If anyone has a clue about it, please enlighten us.

awhom111
07-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Seems to be an exhibition game today (http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/237754/13/Dukes-Cook-And-Plumlee-To-Play-In-2012-Four-Nations-Cup) against Viimsi Spordikeskus. I tried searching for it, but got zilch--probably because I can't read the language. If anyone has a clue about it, please enlighten us.

From that link, it looks like the exhibition is tomorrow. I am not sure what kind of news will be available. I cannot find anything about the team they are playing tomorrow.

Go A's!

Jim3k
07-26-2012, 11:58 PM
From that link, it looks like the exhibition is tomorrow. I am not sure what kind of news will be available. I cannot find anything about the team they are playing tomorrow.

At my age it doesn't matter if it is today or tomorrow--or even yesterday. Apparently Amazon doesn't worry about such things either. Check out their "yesterday" shipping service (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA_gwzx39LQ)

Go A's!

Excellent!

Jim3k
07-28-2012, 06:49 PM
https://twitter.com/East_Coast_BBC

I don't tweet, so maybe some of you can do better

Newton_14
07-28-2012, 08:30 PM
https://twitter.com/East_Coast_BBC

I don't tweet, so maybe some of you can do better

Thanks for the link Jim. Per those tweets, the guys had a final practice/scrimmage today in prep for the first game tomorrow. Also, the Republic of Georgia picked up former Nova guard Corey Fisher, and former Kansas St guard Jacob Pullen. Pretty formidable backcourt for Quinn Cook to destroy there. :) I wonder if Pullen is still having nightmares of Kyrie. :)

gam7
07-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the link Jim. Per those tweets, the guys had a final practice/scrimmage today in prep for the first game tomorrow. Also, the Republic of Georgia picked up former Nova guard Corey Fisher, and former Kansas St guard Jacob Pullen. Pretty formidable backcourt for Quinn Cook to destroy there. :) I wonder if Pullen is still having nightmares of Kyrie. :)

Those guys are playing for the Republic of Georgia? Huh? What is it with this tournament? Weirdest basketball event I've ever heard of. Except for MAYBE those old MTV celebrity basketball games.

Kedsy
07-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Those guys are playing for the Republic of Georgia? Huh?

Maybe they come from Atlanta. ;)

UrinalCake
07-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Weirdest basketball event I've ever heard of. Except for MAYBE those old MTV celebrity basketball games.

I don't think they'll be busting out the 25-foot high baskets for this one.

awhom111
07-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Those guys are playing for the Republic of Georgia? Huh? What is it with this tournament? Weirdest basketball event I've ever heard of. Except for MAYBE those old MTV celebrity basketball games.

Actually these mini-tournaments are pretty common as international teams prepare for their games during the summer. BYU participated in one last summer. FIBA allows international teams one naturalized players. Prominent examples in the Olympics include Serge Ibaka and Becky Hammon. For American players, acquiring citizenship from a FIBA Europe country can help them not count against foreigner limits for their professional teams. Pullen and Fisher will be competing to see who earns that naturalized player spot for their qualifying games later in the summer. The other three teams in this tournament are all trying to qualify for the next Eurobasket tournament in 2013.

awhom111
07-29-2012, 01:13 PM
I hope there will be a full boxscore soon, but according to Estonia's live stats, Quinn had 17 points in 27 minutes and Marshall had 9 points (possibly also 9 rebounds?) in 25 minutes in a 106-86 loss to the Czech Republic. Nick Faust had 20 points and Juwan Staten had 13 points.

awhom111
07-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Here is the boxscore:
http://www.basket.ee/index.php?mid=6&section=boxscore&gid=2013093001

For the Czechs, ex-Valparaiso player Lubos Barton had 10 points and 9 rebounds and ex-Fairleigh Dickinson player Kamil Svrdlik and ex-NBA player Jiri Welsch had 10 points apiece as well.

Georgia beat Estonia 90-76 in the other game.

Kedsy
07-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Here is the boxscore:
http://www.basket.ee/index.php?mid=6&section=boxscore&gid=2013093001

For the Czechs, ex-Valparaiso player Lubos Barton had 10 points and 9 rebounds and ex-Fairleigh Dickinson player Kamil Svrdlik and ex-NBA player Jiri Welsch had 10 points apiece as well.

Georgia beat Estonia 90-76 in the other game.

Do you know which column lists assists?

Olympic Fan
07-30-2012, 12:42 PM
If I'm reading the box score correctly (and I THINK I am):

Cook -- 27 minutes ...6-14 FG 1-5 3PT 2-2 FT 1 rebound 1 steal 4 assists ... 1 turnover ... 3 fouls

Plumlee -- 25 minutes ... 3-7 FG 0-0 3 PT 3-6 FT ... 9 rebounds ... 1 assist ... 4 turnovers ... one foul

Both started for the US team, which is a good sign

awhom111
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I believe the order is actually Defensive Rebounds, Offensive Rebounds, Total Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks, Turnovers, Fouls, and Fouls Drawn

In the second game of the tournament, Quinn and Marshall faced off with Georgia. It was a high-scoring affair that went back and forth in the fourth quarter with the college guys holding the lead late. Ex-Villanova player Corey Fisher, who is trying out to be the one naturalized player on the team (Jacob Pullen played in yesterday's game for his tryout for the spot), drew the foul from Quinn to earn the pair of free throws to send the game into overtime. Things went back and forth again in the extra frame as Georgia had a narrow lead before Quinn had a shot to win blocked before he got one more shot and sank the basket to send the game into overtime number two. In the next period, the collegians built up enough of a lead to win 129-124. Quinn had 29 points and 7 rebounds after playing over 40 minutes and Marshall had 8 points and 7 rebounds in 39 minutes. Nick Faust was the leading scorer with 35 points and 7 rebounds, Juwan Staten had 21 points, Zach McCabe had 17 points and 11 rebounds, and Brad Redford had 12 points. In the loss, Viktor Sanikidze, who was drafted by the Hawks back in 2004 before having his rights traded to the Spurs, had 30 points and 15 rebounds, Tornike Shengelia had 27 points and 13 rebounds, Corey Fisher had 12 points, 10 rebounds, and 9 assists, and former Arkansas, Pensacola JC, and Troy player Levan Patsatsia had 11 points and 7 rebounds. Here is the boxscore:
http://www.basket.ee/index.php?mid=6&section=boxscore&gid=2013093004

Kedsy
07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
I believe the order is actually Defensive Rebounds, Offensive Rebounds, Total Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks, Turnovers, Fouls, and Fouls Drawn

Assuming you're right, it means Quinn had 1 assist and 4 turnovers in the first game and 2 assists and 2 turnovers in the second game. A bit disappointing, but like Alex Murphy's free throw shooting, it's hard to get worked up over summer ball stats. Also, Quinn was credited with 5 steals combined in the two games, which has a nice ring to it.

Jim3k
07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I wonder why Stanford's Dwight Powell didn't play. Injured? He's generally considered to be a stud player.

Newton_14
07-30-2012, 10:32 PM

In the second game of the tournament, Quinn and Marshall faced off with Georgia. It was a high-scoring affair that went back and forth in the fourth quarter with the college guys holding the lead late. Ex-Villanova player Corey Fisher, who is trying out to be the one naturalized player on the team (Jacob Pullen played in yesterday's game for his tryout for the spot), drew the foul from Quinn to earn the pair of free throws to send the game into overtime. Things went back and forth again in the extra frame as Georgia had a narrow lead before Quinn had a shot to win blocked before he got one more shot and sank the basket to send the game into overtime number two. In the next period, the collegians built up enough of a lead to win 129-124. Quinn had 29 points and 7 rebounds after playing over 40 minutes and Marshall had 8 points and 7 rebounds in 39 minutes. Nick Faust was the leading scorer with 35 points and 7 rebounds, Juwan Staten had 21 points, Zach McCabe had 17 points and 11 rebounds, and Brad Redford had 12 points. In the loss, Viktor Sanikidze, who was drafted by the Hawks back in 2004 before having his rights traded to the Spurs, had 30 points and 15 rebounds, Tornike Shengelia had 27 points and 13 rebounds, Corey Fisher had 12 points, 10 rebounds, and 9 assists, and former Arkansas, Pensacola JC, and Troy player Levan Patsatsia had 11 points and 7 rebounds. Here is the boxscore:
http://www.basket.ee/index.php?mid=6&section=boxscore&gid=2013093004

Great report AW. Sounds like we missed a heckuva game! Quinn dropping 29 sounds really good. Like Kedsy, it would be nice if the assists number were better, but on top of the aforementioned summer ball qualifier, we also have to factor in only 3 days of practice with brand new teammates, and unfamiliar offensive sets. Does not lend itself well to a lot of assists. We know Quinn can pass the ball anyway. That's a given. The bigger things to hope for, are leadership, defense, decision making, and breaking down defenders to get to the rim with the ability to either dish to a big, or finish himself, a large percentage of the time. Especially late in the clock.

Even with modest numbers, Marshall playing 39 minutes in a back and forth game like that, with the team winning, is encouraging as well. This year, with Mason and Ryan down low, we do not need great numbers from Marshall. We just need solid defense, rebounding, and the ability to score enough in the post to keep defenses honest.

Jim3k
07-31-2012, 04:22 PM
The twitter link sez: "East Coast Runs Out Of Gas! Yesterday's thrilling double OT win over Georgia took it's toll and host Estonia cruised to a 109-76 victory."

Have to wait for more, I guess.

awhom111
07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
In the tournament finale, the host team rolled to a 109-74 win over the college team. Quinn had 20 points in 23 minutes and Marshall had 6 points and 9 rebounds in 24 minutes. Brad Redford had 15 points and Zach McCabe had 12 points and 6 rebounds. In the win, Marty Pocius's old teammate Siim-Sander Vene had 41 points, 19 rebounds, and 6 assists. Here is the boxscore:
http://www.basket.ee/index.php?mid=6&section=boxscore&gid=2013093006

Jim3k
07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
And again, Stanford's Dwight Powell shows zero minutes played. Anyone know why? Any Trees know?