PDA

View Full Version : Camera advice (2012 addition)

gus
07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm reaching out to the larger community for opinions on a new camera, and a lot has changed since the last thread.

I was an early adopter of dSLRs, but have found it increasingly burdensome to carry around a large camera. I'm looking to downsize a bit without sacrificing image quality and control.

The camera must:
Have a large enough image sensor to allow decent high ISO / low light performance and reasonably shallow depth of field.
This means I want a lens that's f/2 or better.
Shoot HD video
Is not bulky
Produces good JPEGs out of the camera
allows for manual control (at the very least, apperture priority)
a viewfinder (at least as an accessory). I do not like holding a camera like a baby with a smelly diaper.

I would like:
interchangeable lenses, but if the non-interchangeable is good, not being interchangeable isn't a deal breaker.

A couple that I'm looking at:
Fuji x100
Sony NEX 5n
Sony NEX 7
Nikon v1
Olympus OM-D E-M5

Each has some serious drawbacks.
The Fuji's interface is clunky, the AF is apparently slow, and it's really expensive
The NEX 5N has a fantastic sensor, but there is no viewfinder (i'd have to buy a bulky viewfinder accessory)
The NEX 7 is expensive, and Sony upped the megapixels, and (it seems to me) as a result, high iso/low light performance is now noisier than on the 5N. Also, the lenses for the NEX are huge.
Nikon V1. No fast lenses available and the sensor is very small at 1"
Olympus - also expensive, and is has a smaller sensor than Fuji and SOny.

Does anyone have experience with these? Are there any out there I should consider?

One advantage I see of the Sony is that I can (maybe) get an adapter and use some of my old film lenses (Konica Hexanon).

Thanks!

bluebutton
07-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Not on your list but I recently got the Panasonic Lumix GF-2.

I'm loving it. I got it with the 14mm f2.8. But I hear the 20mm f1.7 is quite nice. I'll probably get the Olympus 45mm at some point.

It's a micro-4/3 camera, quite petite compared to the Canon 10D I had. The controls are pretty intuitive. Everything from full manual to 'idiot mode' work well.

I used to geek out over cameras, but now that I'm chasing kids I don't have the time or energy. I'm just saying I'm super happy with this purchase. Got the body and lens for ~$400. Was happy with that too.

I thought I would miss the viewfinder; I am not. But there is an electronic one as an accessory IIRC.

Tommac
07-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Recently purchased the Canon Powershot SX40 HS for the office and am considering one for personal use. It's considered a bridge camera, between a point and shoot and the dig SLR. Zoom lens goes to 35x. Got good reviews from various forums including cnet.

gus
07-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Recently purchased the Canon Powershot SX40 HS for the office and am considering one for personal use. It's considered a bridge camera, between a point and shoot and the dig SLR. Zoom lens goes to 35x. Got good reviews from various forums including cnet.

My SLR is a Canon, and I've always been a big fan (I have a 20D now, which, despite being nearly 8 year old technology, still produces fantastic images). This particular camera certainly is a fine one, but at f/2.8 with a small sensor (at 6.2mmx4.6mm, it's about 1/12 the size I'm looking for) and a physical size and look not much different than my current gear, it unfortuantely doesn't fit my needs.

I'm actually hoping Canon announces something on Monday that will work: I've heard rumors they'll be coming out with a new mirrorless system (akin to the Nikon V1 system). Some have even suggested it'll be a digital rangefinder style like the Fuji X100.

juise
07-23-2012, 02:34 AM
My SLR is a Canon, and I've always been a big fan (I have a 20D now, which, despite being nearly 8 year old technology, still produces fantastic images). This particular camera certainly is a fine one, but at f/2.8 with a small sensor (at 6.2mmx4.6mm, it's about 1/12 the size I'm looking for) and a physical size and look not much different than my current gear, it unfortuantely doesn't fit my needs.

I'm actually hoping Canon announces something on Monday that will work: I've heard rumors they'll be coming out with a new mirrorless system (akin to the Nikon V1 system). Some have even suggested it'll be a digital rangefinder style like the Fuji X100.

I see that Canon made your hopes A reality by announcing the EOS M (http://asia.cnet.com/canon-announces-eos-m-mirrorless-ilc-62218093.htm). The initial reviews are not very warm, though.

gus
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
I see that Canon made your hopes A reality by announcing the EOS M (http://asia.cnet.com/canon-announces-eos-m-mirrorless-ilc-62218093.htm). The initial reviews are not very warm, though.

I was a little disappointed that there is no version with a view finder (like Nikon did with the V1), and that the flash and EF mount adapter won't be bundled with the camera in the US market.

But otherwise I think it looks like a good camera. Despite my disappointment, if the image quality holds up, this probably knocks a few cameras off my list. (The NEX 5n above in particular).

Farlan
07-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Just purchased the Samsung WB150 for my wife at Costco (it's on sale this month and I got for about $50 than it's listed on Amazon). We are trying it out on our trip out west to Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, ect. and so far she loves it! Great pictures, great zoom and best of all it comes with Wifi built in so you can email and post pictures directly to Facebook without having to connect to a computer.

gus
09-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Being patient is looking like a good strategy.

Sony has come out with a 5R, and is rumored to be announing an NEX 6 (with viewfinder) soon.

Also, Fuji just came out with something that has almost everything I was asking for:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/06/Fujifilm-announces-X-E1-X-mount-16MP-X-trans-mirrorless-camera-with-OLED-viewfinder