PDA

View Full Version : Picture on Front Page

DU82
07-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Knowing who the gentleman (he'd probably object to that term) in the sweater was, I could guess the general year. However, NC State doesn't list anybody wearing number 35 until Sidney Lowe, in 1980.

However, if I remember correctly, many teams in the '60s and before wore one number at home, and a different one on the road. State probably lists the home jersey number. So I'd guess it was probably number 34 for the Pack, Jon Speaks. Close?

Jim3k
07-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I believe the man in the sweater is the late Doug Hinds, about whom we have had separate thread. He was class of '64, but regularly traveled from wherever he was to home games. He's clearly no longer a Duke student in the photo (might have been a law school student--he went to Pitt Law) so I think this is a late 60's or early 70's pic.

I dunno who this Number 35 is, but Bill Lake wore 35 according to this 73-74 roster. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973–74_NC_State_Wolfpack_men's_basketball_team#Ro ster) But Lake was 6'-11" and the photo seems to be a shorter player, though that is not really clear, given the bad angle.

DU82
07-16-2012, 11:13 PM
I believe the man in the sweater is the late Doug Hinds, about whom we have had separate thread. He was class of '64, but regularly traveled from wherever he was to home games. He's clearly no longer a Duke student in the photo (might have been a law school student--he went to Pitt Law) so I think this is a late 60's or early 70's pic.

I dunno who this Number 35 is, but Bill Lake wore 35 in this 73-74 roster. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973%E2%80%9374_NC_State_Wolfpack_men%27s_basketba ll_team#Roster) But Lake was 6'-11" and the photo seems to be a shorter player, though that is not really clear, given the bad angle.

I assumed that it was taken while Doug was in school, 60-64 (and it most certainly is Doug.) It certainly looks like Cameron in the corner, with the State player wearing a darker uniform, it would be a road uniform (and the sidelines are not from Reynolds.)

Interesting that the NC State basketball official roster doesn't list Lake as wearing 35, either. Perhaps a freshman?

Olympic Fan
07-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Wow, good questions.

While I think it's clear this is Doug Hinds, I'm not sure exactly when it was shot. Although if it's from Fred Lind's collection, that would make it the 1963-64 season -- since Fred wouldn't have taken the shot when he was on the varsity. In 63-64 he played on the freshman team and could have taken shots during the varsity game.

That would mean it's not Jon Speaks in the picture (he played his last year at State in 1962-63 ... he was killed in a traffic accident in May of '63). Unless Fred took the shot while on a recruiting visit. I guess that's possible.

I think I can identify a number of people in the photo. Pretty sure the ref is Phil Fox (or Dr. Phil Fox as he liked to be called). Just to his left shoulde on press row, looking right at the camera, is a young Joe Tiede (who died last month). Just to Joe's left -- with the dark hair and glasses, with his chin on his hand, is Dick Herbert, one of the great writers in ACC history. Both Joe and Dick wrote for the Raleigh News and Observer. The slightly chubby guy to Dick's left MIGHT be Elton Casey of the Durham Herald. I should know the guy that Doug has one arm around his shoulder ... but I don't. It SHOULD be somebody from the Duke SID office. Not sure if Dick Brusie had replaced Ted Mann by that point, but it's not either of them. It could be a guy named Jim Rink, who as an assistant SID for several years before he was killed in a car accident in the late 1960s.

As for the State player ... I think Speaks is a good guess, but because of the gap in a year between when he last played and when Fred Lind arrived at Duke, I'm not sure.

Could it possibly be Les Robinson, who usually wore No. 42 -- a number he shared with another player?

Kimist
07-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Player is possibly Eddie Biedenbach (now a coach?), with a best second guess being Gary Hale (who??).

(They did have freshman teams in the 60s, hence possible jersey # issues.)

k

Jim3k
07-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Wow, good questions.

While I think it's clear this is Doug Hinds, I'm not sure exactly when it was shot. Although if it's from Fred Lind's collection, that would make it the 1963-64 season -- since Fred wouldn't have taken the shot when he was on the varsity. In 63-64 he played on the freshman team and could have taken shots during the varsity game.

Don't think so OF. Lind was a member of the freshman team in '65-'66 (see John Roth's basketball Almanac). Hinds was a member of the '64 class, but is not listed in my '64 commencement program as having received his degree that year. He may have been finishing up in 64-65 or 65-66. If Lind took pics as a freshman, then it is possible that he took it in 65-66.

The home game v. NC State was 1/29/66. Here is the boxscore from GoDuke Statsgeek (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19660129). It does not show player numbers, but some of you may know the State numbers.

My focus is where Hinds was sitting. I'm pretty sure that after '64, he sat (pretty much always) in the location where he is in the pic. In '63-64 he stood with his fraternity, not along press row where he could be found for 43-44 years. So I think the pic is most likely 65-66 if Lind took it. Could also be 66-67. Hinds went off to Pitt law school in '66, graduating in '69. Maybe he came back from Pitt for that game on 1/28/67, but that was his first year in law school, and if he was like me, he was too scared to leave. (The game was on a Saturday and I suppose there could have been a long enough break to have allowed for him to travel. As a superfan, he may well have done that.)

sagegrouse
07-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Don't think so OF. Lind was a member of the freshman team in '65-'66 (see John Roth's basketball Almanac). Hinds was a member of the '64 class, but is not listed in my '64 commencement program as having received his degree that year. He may have been finishing up in 64-65 or 65-66. If Lind took pics as a freshman, then it is possible that he took it in 65-66.

The home game v. NC State was 1/29/66. Here is the boxscore from GoDuke Statsgeek (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19660129). It does not show player numbers, but some of you may know the State numbers.

My focus is where Hinds was sitting. I'm pretty sure that after '64, he sat (pretty much always) in the location where he is in the pic. In '63-64 he stood with his fraternity, not along press row where he could be found for 43-44 years. So I think the pic is most likely 65-66 if Lind took it. Could also be 66-67. Hinds went off to Pitt law school in '66, graduating in '69. Maybe he came back from Pitt for that game on 1/28/67, but that was his first year in law school, and if he was like me, he was too scared to leave. (The game was on a Saturday and I suppose there could have been a long enough break to have allowed for him to travel. As a superfan, he may well have done that.)

Jin, the credit on the picture is Forrest Jerome. Jerry Jerome was in the class of 1965. Doug graduated in 1965 as well. I am impressed that you have your graduation program!

sagegrouse

-jk
07-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Doug certainly came to Saturday games in Cameron during law school. He would record his lectures and listen to them while driving down and back.

Distracted driving long predates mobiles.

-jk