PDA

View Full Version : ACC team profiles for 2012-'13

gumbomoop
07-16-2012, 04:43 PM
FYI: http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/summershootaround120716/acc

Brennan somehow seems to think Seth will play some/lots of PG. But at least in the thumbnail sketch on the right side, the anonymous author [maybe it's Brennan......] notes that Seth "won't be asked to play PG."

ChicagoCrazy84
07-16-2012, 06:43 PM
FYI: http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/summershootaround120716/acc

Brennan somehow seems to think Seth will play some/lots of PG. But at least in the thumbnail sketch on the right side, the anonymous author [maybe it's Brennan......] notes that Seth "won't be asked to play PG."

No way Seth is asked to play PG. Coach K and the staff have invensted too much time and effort in getting Thornton and Cook to play at an ACC level. The issues we had stopping penetration last year, I don't think we'll see Seth on the court without Cook and/or Thornton. Barring injury, Seth will be playing off the ball most, if not all the time. Tyler and Quinn are the key to this team this year, no question about it. We need to get more stability offensively at the PG position and I'm surprised Brennan didn't touch on that as that was our biggest issue offensively and defensively last year.

Kedsy
07-16-2012, 11:07 PM
No way Seth is asked to play PG. Coach K and the staff have invensted too much time and effort in getting Thornton and Cook to play at an ACC level.

K has said he expects Seth to play mostly off the ball this coming season because we need his scoring. So I think you're right he won't play too much PG.

The issues we had stopping penetration last year, I don't think we'll see Seth on the court without Cook and/or Thornton.

Here I don't entirely agree. I think Seth and Rasheed will play together for a reasonable amount of time in every game. In such a backcourt, I'd expect Rasheed to defend the opposing PG, but depending on the size of the opposing SG, maybe they'll swap. Perhaps in such a backcourt, Rasheed will be the nominal PG on offense, perhaps Seth. I actually expect that most of the time it would be Rasheed, but obviously he hasn't played a minute yet at Duke so we'll have to wait and see.

CDu
07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
K has said he expects Seth to play mostly off the ball this coming season because we need his scoring. So I think you're right he won't play too much PG.

Here I don't entirely agree. I think Seth and Rasheed will play together for a reasonable amount of time in every game. In such a backcourt, I'd expect Rasheed to defend the opposing PG, but depending on the size of the opposing SG, maybe they'll swap. Perhaps in such a backcourt, Rasheed will be the nominal PG on offense, perhaps Seth. I actually expect that most of the time it would be Rasheed, but obviously he hasn't played a minute yet at Duke so we'll have to wait and see.

I agree. I'd also note that I don't think Cook (who struggled defensively last year) or Thornton (who struggled with quicker players and actually played better on-ball defense at SF) really improve our defense against penetration. I'd actually say that Curry/Sulaimon is a better defensive combination.

That said, hopefully Cook or Thornton show substantial improvements in defending penetration this year.

Bob Green
07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
In such a backcourt, I'd expect Rasheed to defend the opposing PG, but depending on the size of the opposing SG, maybe they'll swap.

I'd actually say that Curry/Sulaimon is a better defensive combination.

Rasheed Sulaimon being ready to contribute defensively will be a key factor to success this year. The team must play tougher perimeter defense and I am optimistic Sulaimon has the length and lateral quickness to help in this area. But as Kedsy states, Sulaimon hasn't played a minute of basketball at Duke so we will all have to wait and see.

elvis14
07-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Rasheed Sulaimon being ready to contribute defensively will be a key factor to success this year. The team must play tougher perimeter defense and I am optimistic Sulaimon has the length and lateral quickness to help in this area. But as Kedsy states, Sulaimon hasn't played a minute of basketball at Duke so we will all have to wait and see.

With Rasheed being a freshman, I'd say that it's a healthy Quinn Cook being able to defend that will be one of the biggest key factors to our success this year. Given that I don't think Curry or Thornton can stop dribble penetration, however, I'd say that we could both be right and it's that Cook AND Sulaimon need to be ready to play pressure perimeter defense. I thought Quinn improved over time last year. I'm hoping he can make that sophomore jump!

Bob Green
07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
With Rasheed being a freshman, I'd say that it's a healthy Quinn Cook being able to defend that will be one of the biggest key factors to our success this year. Given that I don't think Curry or Thornton can stop dribble penetration, however, I'd say that we could both be right and it's that Cook AND Sulaimon need to be ready to play pressure perimeter defense. I thought Quinn improved over time last year. I'm hoping he can make that sophomore jump!

We definitely agree with each other. I see Cook as a key on offense and Sulaimon as key on defense. Cook needs to distribute the ball and ensure the offense flows, while Sulaimon's length and lateral quickness has the potential to impact the perimeter defense.

Matches
07-18-2012, 10:46 AM
I agree Seth won't see a lot of time at PG, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him there on a situational basis, maybe alongside RS. If we assume that Murphy and/or Jefferson will see a lot of minutes at the "3", and that RS is ready to play a good bit, we're going to need either Seth or RS to play some PG in order to keep them on the floor.