PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Breaks Hand at Practice :(

Mike Corey
07-14-2012, 10:40 PM
And Kyrie Irving's hand is reportedly in a cast (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/07/sources-kyrie-irving-hurts-hand-in-cast/).

Broken bone? Something less severe? Hope for the latter.

UPDATE: Plain Dealer reporting he's headed back to Cleveland to have surgery, out 6-8 weeks.

moonpie23
07-14-2012, 10:54 PM
DANG!!!!!!! injuries.....i HATE EM.....

taiw93
07-14-2012, 10:59 PM
And Kyrie Irving's hand is reportedly in a cast (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/07/sources-kyrie-irving-hurts-hand-in-cast/).

Broken bone? Something less severe? Hope for the latter.

UPDATE: Plain Dealer reporting he's headed back to Cleveland to have surgery, out 6-8 weeks.

Kyrie hand vigil?

In all seriousness, here's to a full and speedy recovery for Kyrie!

#savekyrieshand

BD80
07-14-2012, 11:54 PM
He did it to himself, smacked a padded wall in frustration because of a turnover, wall wasn't as padded as expected

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19587335/kyrie-irving-fractures-bone-in-right-hand-out-6-8-weeks

At least he didn't pull a Frerotte:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo

Sprained his neck and missed games

SmartDevil
07-15-2012, 12:02 AM
out at least six weeks, more likely eight... :(

from A.P.
CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving broke his right hand during a practice in Las Vegas and could be sidelined two months.

The NBA's rookie of the year injured his hand slapping the padding on a wall. The Cavs said in a release Saturday night that Irving is returning to Cleveland for further examination on Sunday. The team said it expects him to be ready for the start of training camp in late September, but a timeline for his return will be updated after he is seen by doctors.

Irving's injury is a setback for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft who dazzled during workouts and scrimmages against the U.S. Olympic team recently.

JBDuke
07-15-2012, 02:25 AM
out at least six weeks, more likely eight... :(

from A.P.
CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving broke his right hand during a practice in Las Vegas and could be sidelined two months.

The NBA's rookie of the year injured his hand slapping the padding on a wall. The Cavs said in a release Saturday night that Irving is returning to Cleveland for further examination on Sunday. The team said it expects him to be ready for the start of training camp in late September, but a timeline for his return will be updated after he is seen by doctors.

Irving's injury is a setback for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft who dazzled during workouts and scrimmages against the U.S. Olympic team recently.

Here's a link from ESPN with a little more info:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8167467/cleveland-cavaliers-guard-kyrie-irving-breaks-right-hand-las-vegas-practice

What a shame! I would have enjoyed watching him rip up the summer leagues. Here's hoping that, as noted above, he's fully back by the time training camp starts this fall.

miramar
07-15-2012, 07:00 AM
I think John Smith did something similar at Duke, although it might have been on a basket support.

If you are going to do something like that, you should probably be as strong as Derrick Nix:

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-basketball/michigan-states-derrick-nix-punches-basket-support-nearly-destroys-big-ten-logo/

licc85
07-15-2012, 07:14 AM
He pulled an Amare, but at least it wasn't in a playoff game

OZZIE4DUKE
07-15-2012, 09:56 AM
"It was just a freak accident," Irving said. "I broke a really delicate bone in my hand."

Well, I'm sorry he broke his hand, and he's done it in the off season this time thank goodness, but now it is becoming obvious that he may, may, have a tendency to break bones* in freak accidents. Well, one was a freak occurrence, two is becoming a trend, even though this one was self induced through an act of temper. Other than being more careful and exhibit a little bit of self control, I don't know what he could do to protect himself, because his spectacular style of play certainly puts him in peril every time he drives the lane and gets knocked down. Perhaps more calcium in his diet to strengthen his bones?

*Inside word during Kyrie's injury was that he did indeed fracture his big toe in addition to the tendon injury associated with the turf toe, which worsened/lengthened/complicated the recovery period. So I was told by other posters on this board.

hudlow
07-15-2012, 10:27 AM
A shining example of where another year or two at Duke with Coach K would have taught Kyrie some very valuable lessons about temper and how being impulsive and immature hurts not only yourself but the team also....

Just because a young man can play doesn't mean he's ready.

hud

rsvman
07-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Well, I'm sorry he broke his hand, and he's done it in the off season this time thank goodness, but now it is becoming obvious that he may, may, have a tendency to break bones* in freak accidents. Well, one was a freak occurrence, two is becoming a trend, even though this one was self induced through an act of temper. Other than being more careful and exhibit a little bit of self control, I don't know what he could do to protect himself, because his spectacular style of play certainly puts him in peril every time he drives the lane and gets knocked down. Perhaps more calcium in his diet to strengthen his bones?

*Inside word during Kyrie's injury was that he did indeed fracture his big toe in addition to the tendon injury associated with the turf toe, which worsened/lengthened/complicated the recovery period. So I was told by other posters on this board.

This is an interesting point. I wonder if he is vitamin D deficient. Somebody should check, and make sure his parathyroid works properly while they're at it.

CameronBlue
07-15-2012, 10:45 AM
He did it to himself, smacked a padded wall in frustration because of a turnover, wall wasn't as padded as expected

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19587335/kyrie-irving-fractures-bone-in-right-hand-out-6-8-weeks

At least he didn't pull a Frerotte:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo

Sprained his neck and missed games

He should've smacked John Wall. I hear he's pretty soft, particuarly on defense.

Dukehky
07-15-2012, 02:16 PM
A shining example of where another year or two at Duke with Coach K would have taught Kyrie some very valuable lessons about temper and how being impulsive and immature hurts not only yourself but the team also....

hud

You're absolutely right, Coach K never loses his temper and never becomes intense and impulsive and neither do any of his players that stay all four years...

Are you freaking serious? Every single basketball player EVER has slapped the padding behind the basket or the padding on the basket support after missing a lay-up, or turning the ball over in the lane or something like that. It is easy to see how if there's less than expected padding that he could break a bone in his hand after slapping it (not even punching it mind you).

Are you insinuating that Kyrie Irving, the rookie of the year, the incredibly mature and well-put-together (in the head) young man was not ready to go to the pros? Look man I wanted him to stay too but to say that he wasn't fully ready is ridiculous. And if the only thing you have left to learn from Coach K for the most part is how to control your temper, then it's probably time to leave because you're not going to be learning all that much (Note: I love Coach K and everything he does on the basketball court, when he goes crazy, it gets me fired up and gets the team fired up, it's probably more planned than most would give him credit for as well)

This is one of the silliest comments that could be made on the subject of Kyrie breaking his hand... Should have stayed at Duke so he could learn not to slap the pad behind the basket because he might break his hand. Preposterous.

duke96
07-15-2012, 02:22 PM
You're absolutely right, Coach K never loses his temper and never becomes intense and impulsive and neither do any of his players that stay all four years...

Are you freaking serious? Every single basketball player EVER has slapped the padding behind the basket or the padding on the basket support after missing a lay-up, or turning the ball over in the lane or something like that. It is easy to see how if there's less than expected padding that he could break a bone in his hand after slapping it (not even punching it mind you).

Are you insinuating that Kyrie Irving, the rookie of the year, the incredibly mature and well-put-together (in the head) young man was not ready to go to the pros? Look man I wanted him to stay too but to say that he wasn't fully ready is ridiculous. And if the only thing you have left to learn from Coach K for the most part is how to control your temper, then it's probably time to leave because you're not going to be learning all that much (Note: I love Coach K and everything he does on the basketball court, when he goes crazy, it gets me fired up and gets the team fired up, it's probably more planned than most would give him credit for as well)

This is one of the silliest comments that could be made on the subject of Kyrie breaking his hand... Should have stayed at Duke so he could learn not to slap the pad behind the basket because he might break his hand. Preposterous.

Haha this is hysterical and very true. Well said.

gcashwell
07-15-2012, 03:44 PM
FWIW Kyrie said, on twitter, that he did not punch the wall, and that is not in his character.

devilirium
07-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Regarding Kyrie's impulsiveness...give me a break! I guess Jay Williams was exempt from your take. Stayed 3 yrs and graduated...however, K's coaching and guiding hand wasn't able to keep him from getting on that scooter.

gep
07-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Well... isn't this somewhat similar to JJ? Now Kyrie can work on improving his left hand handle, shooting, etc. I recall one story about Larry Bird that he always worked on "something" during the off-season. In one of them, he "learned" to shoot left-handed.

Bluedog
07-15-2012, 06:16 PM
It's a shame...I was looking forward to watching him in the summer league, but sometimes stuff just happens. At least, he should be back and ready to roll by the time training camp begins. Kyrie is already really good at finishing with his left in my opinion - that's one of the things that makes him so tough to guard.

Atlanta Duke
07-15-2012, 06:59 PM

hud

To follow up on the observations of Dukehky and devilirium with something that took place during a game, such as Christian Laettner deciding it would be a good idea to step on Timberlake's chest in the Duke-UK game after spending 4 years with Coach K?:)

Testosterone can be toxic - if missing 6 -8 weeks in the offseason is the worst consequence Kyrie Irving suffers for impulsive behavior he will be lucky

Best wishes to Kyrie for a speedy recovery and lucky for Kobe that the one-on-one challenge is on hold for now :)

Son of Jarhead
07-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Best wishes to Kyrie for a speedy recovery and lucky for Kobe that the one-on-one challenge is on hold for now :)

When I first heard about this last night whil watching NBA Summer League action, the thought that came to my, admittedly, sometimes overly wacky mind was that Kobe somehow had Kyrie's hand broken just to keep from having to play that 1-on1 game... Conspiracy theory anyone?

cspan37421
07-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Regarding Kyrie's impulsiveness...give me a break! I guess Jay Williams was exempt from your take. Stayed 3 yrs and graduated...however, K's coaching and guiding hand wasn't able to keep him from getting on that scooter.

Scooter?

Would that it was only a scooter. He's still be in the league, most likely, had it been a mildly-powered scooter.

KenTankerous
07-15-2012, 11:49 PM

I don't think a couple of years at Duke with K would have keep the boy from slapping the wall but it would undoubtedly have made it a man slapping the wall.

Mentally, basketball iq, media savvy, Kyrie had been prepared. But was his body mature enough for the rigors of the Game? His freshman toe injury hinted, does this say maybe he needs to take a step back and think about his longevity as opposed to his explosiveness?

g-money
07-16-2012, 01:04 AM
I don't think a couple of years at Duke with K would have keep the boy from slapping the wall but it would undoubtedly have made it a man slapping the wall.

Mentally, basketball iq, media savvy, Kyrie had been prepared. But was his body mature enough for the rigors of the Game? His freshman toe injury hinted, does this say maybe he needs to take a step back and think about his longevity as opposed to his explosiveness?

If anything, I would argue that this freak hand injury affirms Kyrie's decision to turn pro after his freshman year. I don't believe either his hand or toe injuries were a consequence of wear and tear.

Conversely, if he'd stayed at Duke and had broken both his toe and his hand during his college career, well, I'm no NBA exec, but my guess is it would've hurt his draft status significantly.

The great thing for Kyrie is that he has a bright future ahead no matter how many years he plays in the NBA. With this in mind, I say: Get well soon Kyrie, and always play with no fear!!

devilirium
07-16-2012, 02:55 AM
Would that it was only a scooter. He's still be in the league, most likely, had it been a mildly-powered scooter. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

True, it was a motorcycle and not a little vespa. I think the original point was pretty evident though..some players take unnecessary risks despite the number of years of schooling' or life experience for that matter.

subzero02
07-16-2012, 10:08 AM

hud

Coach K's insistence that players consume only calcium infused barbecue during the offseason could've prevented
Kyrie's injury as well.

hudlow
07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Obviously none of you know that one of Coach K's few rules is..."Don't do anything that will hurt the team." I'm sure he would have called Kyrie aside and told him to channel his anger and disappointment with himself on the game and not the wall.

Anyone who thinks that Kyrie would not have grown as an athlete and a person with another year or 2 at Duke just doesn't understand the Duke program and Coach K's way of developing his players.

The gist of my post was to point out that anyone who has a chance to develop themselves with Coach K is getting an opportunity that few have.

For every example of stupid things Duke players have done, there is an example of Grant Hill, Dawkins, Wojo, Ferry and plenty more who have learned and benefited from being at Duke.

None of the players are infallible and all are basically kids. I was just pointing out, maybe to a future player at Duke, that even someone as potentially great as Irvin can be, he might have learned just a little something along the way at Duke that would have prevented him from hurting himself.

devilirium
07-16-2012, 01:44 PM
^ Point taken. I'd appreciate an absence of the holier than thou language foisted on us --eg "obviously you don't know".We know, trust me. Reggie Love was a chief offender of your cited rule, but he was a player that helped us later in an unexpected circumstance.

Coach K has few rules and that allows for greater decision-making. I think many of us can appreciate that. I think you're
right that the majority of Duke players have self-policed very
well. The NBA climate with revolving contracts, however, prevents a greater degree of kids from staying in Durham. We've had to recruit differently to keep pace with the landscape.

greybeard
07-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Other than being more careful and exhibit a little bit of self control, I don't know what he could do to protect himself, because his spectacular style of play certainly puts him in peril every time he drives the lane and gets knocked down.

I think that if Kyrie wants to make it through seasons, and thus be productive, he will have to develop a less "spectacular style of play," one that does not "put[] him in peril everytime he drives the lane." The peril, as we have already seen with Kyrie himself and more recently with Rose can, and often does, have nothing to do with getting knocked down. Placing the torque on bones and joints that darting through and around players, finishing in spectular fashion to avoid what seems like a certain block, will hurt you bad. Players with the ball who are expected to "break down" defenses and then cut and dodge and twirl their way to finish, it is going to happen. History tells us that. Kyrie has more than enough game to be among the best in the game without the dazzling finishes. He is a great shooter, can break down, get inside, the exterior defense; if he scores off floaters and pull ups he greatly increases the chance that he will make it through seasons without serious time being lost to injury. Dazzlers who are terrific who because they are dazzlers, in my mind, are showmen and can never be great ballplayers.

I think that with Kyrie's body type he is courting a premature ending to his career should he continue with his currrent "spectacular style of play." I think that he has the skills and computer-like vision/decision making to be a sensational ballplayer for a very long time. Behind door "B," make lots of ESPN highlights, have everyone talk about how "great" you are, create interest in your team, sell tickets, paraphenalia, and cable contracts even while you are out for significant portions, often at the end, of many, if not most or all the seasons you play.

The point guard position, a relatively recent creation in the game, has got "dangerous" written all over it. Kyrie I am sure loves the dance, is in another world in the dance, can bring wins that can be had in no other way but in the dance, but the dance will take him down. You know what, no one will care--all they will ask is when he will make it back until there is no back, only pain, disfunction, and lost love. Then, the fallen dazzler will "stare, into, the echo, of his loneliness." Country Joe McDonald.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I think that if Kyrie wants to make it through seasons, and thus be productive, he will have to develop a less "spectacular style of play," one that does not "put[] him in peril everytime he drives the lane." The peril, as we have already seen with Kyrie himself and more recently with Rose can, and often does, have nothing to do with getting knocked down. Placing the torque on bones and joints that darting through and around players, finishing in spectular fashion to avoid what seems like a certain block, will hurt you bad. Players with the ball who are expected to "break down" defenses and then cut and dodge and twirl their way to finish, it is going to happen. History tells us that. Kyrie has more than enough game to be among the best in the game without the dazzling finishes. He is a great shooter, can break down, get inside, the exterior defense; if he scores off floaters and pull ups he greatly increases the chance that he will make it through seasons without serious time being lost to injury. Dazzlers who are terrific who because they are dazzlers, in my mind, are showmen and can never be great ballplayers.

I think that with Kyrie's body type he is courting a premature ending to his career should he continue with his currrent "spectacular style of play." I think that he has the skills and computer-like vision/decision making to be a sensational ballplayer for a very long time. Behind door "B," make lots of ESPN highlights, have everyone talk about how "great" you are, create interest in your team, sell tickets, paraphenalia, and cable contracts even while you are out for significant portions, often at the end, of many, if not most or all the seasons you play.

The point guard position, a relatively recent creation in the game, has got "dangerous" written all over it. Kyrie I am sure loves the dance, is in another world in the dance, can bring wins that can be had in no other way but in the dance, but the dance will take him down. You know what, no one will care--all they will ask is when he will make it back until there is no back, only pain, disfunction, and lost love. Then, the fallen dazzler will "stare, into, the echo, of his loneliness." Country Joe McDonald.

Thinking about it, the "dazzler" who is even more at risk than Kyrie is Austin Rivers. That's the player who almost ALWAYS ended up on his backside after driving the lane last season.

wk2109
07-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Thinking about it, the "dazzler" who is even more at risk than Kyrie is Austin Rivers. That's the player who almost ALWAYS ended up on his backside after driving the lane last season.

I completely agree. I watched Austin's summer league game last night and he might have spent more time sprawled out on the floor than he spent upright. Austin just doesn't make anything look easy like smoother guards (e.g. Kyrie) do. I never thought that Kyrie had the dangerous, throw-your-body-all-over-the-place type of game that Austin does. Kyrie makes lots of things look easier than they are because of his understanding of angles, speeds, driving lanes, etc. The hand injury just seems like a fluke injury, just like the toe injury was.

greybeard
07-18-2012, 10:49 AM
The types of twists, stops, turns that Kyrie makes are more likely to cause injury than being knocked to the floor. Players learn to fall/land, much the same as a martial artist does. Joints, especially knees and to a lessor extant ankles, small bones in feet, simply are not built to stand up to the stress that a dazzler's game puts on them. The Nash types who move at a relatively slow pace and depend as much on reads off the manipulation of center of gravity, momentum, of others are much less susceptible to knee,ankle, foot injuries than are dancers. The same goes for players who travel relatively straight lines to the rim or have pull up games once they penetrate the exterior defense or take it to the rim if a clear path is exposed.

It seems to me that Rivers is a relatively straight line guy, whose dancing often has both feet relatively under him. At times he ventures out into the realm of the plant and cut and then spine and cut interior attacks, but that I am not sure is a common feature of his game, as opposed to Kyrie's. Nevertheless, he seems to me, as he does to others, place himself in the extremely at risk category; Kyrie and Paul and Rose I believe have taken at risk playing style beyond the red line. I do not watch a lot, but it seems to me that Paul is now polaying much more a Nash-like style.

subzero02
07-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Obviously none of you know that one of Coach K's few rules is..."Don't do anything that will hurt the team." I'm sure he would have called Kyrie aside and told him to channel his anger and disappointment with himself on the game and not the wall.

Anyone who thinks that Kyrie would not have grown as an athlete and a person with another year or 2 at Duke just doesn't understand the Duke program and Coach K's way of developing his players.

The gist of my post was to point out that anyone who has a chance to develop themselves with Coach K is getting an opportunity that few have.

For every example of stupid things Duke players have done, there is an example of Grant Hill, Dawkins, Wojo, Ferry and plenty more who have learned and benefited from being at Duke.

None of the players are infallible and all are basically kids. I was just pointing out, maybe to a future player at Duke, that even someone as potentially great as Irvin can be, he might have learned just a little something along the way at Duke that would have prevented him from hurting himself.

If Michael Jordan had stayed at unc for an extra year he would've learned those same lessons from Dean Smith and never punched Steve Kerr in the eye... I think you are really reaching here in stating that Kyrie's reaction was over the top or that by another year or two at Duke he would've somehow quelled his emotions to the point that he never would think about smacking a PADDED WALL. It was a freak accident/injury due to a reaction that is not uncommon for even the most mild mannered veteran players. I have seen Battier smack a ball in frustration with enough to break a hand on several occasions....2+ years at Duke does not = a vulcanesque emotional purge.