PDA

View Full Version : Video - Kyrie Irving Challenges Kobe Bryant to $50,000 Game of One-on-One

Atlanta Duke
07-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Kyrie Irving’s quest to win the Internet continued on Thursday. ... Irving came back to YouTube yesterday — this time challenging Kobe Bryant to a $50,000 game of one-on-one after a Team USA training session. :D

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/32115/kyrie-irving-challenges-kobe-bryant-to-50000-game-of-one-on-one

Starter
07-13-2012, 02:49 PM
This is absolutely hysterical. Kyrie's a gem.

Kobe'd kill him if they did this, by the way.

InSpades
07-13-2012, 03:00 PM
It would be more accurate to say Kobe challenged Kyrie to a $50,000 game of one-on-one. Kyrie wanted to play and Kobe said the price is 50 large. He said he'd cut it to 25 just for him though.

I don't see how Kyrie would stop Kobe one-on-one but at the same time I think Kobe would struggle to contain Kyrie as well. Kyrie's vast array of finishing moves around the rim (and his amazing ability to get to the rim) would be tough to stop one-on-one. At the same time... Kobe is one of the best one-on-one players ever. He'd have a pretty big size advantage and could just back Kyrie down and shoot over him pretty easily. Definitely give the edge to Kobe but Kyrie wouldn't embarass himself out there.

Fun video regardless.

CDu
07-13-2012, 03:12 PM
It would be more accurate to say Kobe challenged Kyrie to a $50,000 game of one-on-one. Kyrie wanted to play and Kobe said the price is 50 large. He said he'd cut it to 25 just for him though.

I don't see how Kyrie would stop Kobe one-on-one but at the same time I think Kobe would struggle to contain Kyrie as well. Kyrie's vast array of finishing moves around the rim (and his amazing ability to get to the rim) would be tough to stop one-on-one. At the same time... Kobe is one of the best one-on-one players ever. He'd have a pretty big size advantage and could just back Kyrie down and shoot over him pretty easily. Definitely give the edge to Kobe but Kyrie wouldn't embarass himself out there.

Fun video regardless.

In a game of one-on-one, the bigger player tends to have the advantage. That's especially true if the bigger player also has guard-like skills. Bryant would win such a matchup.

UrinalCake
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
If it was one-on-one full court then Kyrie might stand a chance, but in a traditional half-court game it's mostly posting up and Kobe would have too much size.

I remember hearing a story from the 2008 Olympics training camp where the players would go one-on-one full court against each other. Kevin Garnett was the overall winner. I could see how in that format, a big guy who can also handle the ball would be pretty hard to stop.

BD80
07-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I love the give and take, when Kobe calls Kyrie a "high school kid," Kyrie responds that Kobe was the high school kid because he (Kyrie) went to college but Kobe did not. Kobe responds that Kyrie "played 3 games in college."

Kobe paid attention to Duke and Kyrie.

A-Tex Devil
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
I love the give and take, when Kobe calls Kyrie a "high school kid," Kyrie responds that Kobe was the high school kid because he (Kyrie) went to college but Kobe did not. Kobe responds that Kyrie "played 3 games in college."

Kobe paid attention to Duke and Kyrie.

Kyrie: "He (Kobe) thinks he's talking to a high school kid"
Kobe: "You just came out of high school..... Kid!"

moonpie23
07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
that was absolutely hysterical.....

i'll PAY PER VIEW to see this match up.....

ricks68
07-13-2012, 04:26 PM
What a wonderful dialogue between the two. If Kyrie had not been injured, I think that he would have brought fun on the court at Duke to a new level. What a shame. (Not to say that Nolan wasn't the very best.)

ricks.

oldnavy
07-13-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd pay to watch. This is actually a good idea, use it as a fund raiser. Winner donates winnings to favorite charity....

I'd also love to see Kyrie challenge MJ to a game of 21 and spot him 13...... I'd pay to watch that as well... MJ wouldn't do it, he knows he'd get run and his ego would not allow it, but I would love it if KI put out challenge.

Duke76
07-14-2012, 11:16 AM
I'd love to see it played in Cameron... I bet Kobe has never
been to Cameron much less played on the floor... Kyrie should
have told him he would be Mike's equal if he had gone to Duke.

subzero02
07-14-2012, 11:27 AM
If it was one-on-one full court then Kyrie might stand a chance, but in a traditional half-court game it's mostly posting up and Kobe would have too much size.

I remember hearing a story from the 2008 Olympics training camp where the players would go one-on-one full court against each other. Kevin Garnett was the overall winner. I could see how in that format, a big guy who can also handle the ball would be pretty hard to stop.

I have never seen anyone play a game of one on one full court... Nor have I even thought about it until now... If both players played defense full court you'd get a ridiculous workout.

DevilWearsPrada
07-14-2012, 11:45 AM
I just loved the banter between Kobe and Kyrie! And Kobe calling Kyrie, a High School Student. It would be so nice to have Kyrie on the USA Olympic Team with Coach K, and playing along side of Kobe!!! Obviously, Kobe has a high regard for Kyrie, and his talents!

Best video I have seen in along time!!! Go TEAM USA, and Coach K!

Son of Jarhead
07-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Just heard on NBA-TV...

...which I have on in the background while working on-line, so I barely caught this, but it made me laugh, so I thought I'd share: Right before halftime in the Lakers vs. Kings Summer League game, the announcers where debating the Kobe boast that this years Olympic squad would beat the Dream Team, and one of them (maybe Rick Fox or Chris Weber?) said something like "Kyrie Irving called and said he has an all-Rookie team that can beat Kobe's squad". Kyrie is everywhere!