PDA

View Full Version : Duke @ Olympics

burnspbesq
07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
By my count, seven current or former Duke athletes are slated to compete at the Olympics.

Eric Boateng, Great Britain, basketball
Luol Deng, Great Britain, basketball
Abby Johnston, USA, diving
Nick McCrory, USA, diving
Martynas Pocius, Lithuania, basketball
Shannon Rowbury, USA, track & field
Rebecca Smith, New Zealand, soccer

Have I overlooked anyone?

phaedrus
07-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Jillian Schwartz, Israel (pole vault)

http://www.thejc.com/sport/sport-news/69681/golden-girls-ready-london-stage

roywhite
07-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Not competitors, but very important:

Mike Krzyzewski Head Coach USA Men's Basketball

Steve Wojciechowski USA Men's Basketball staff
Chris Collins USA Men's Basketball staff

nmduke2001
07-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know why Rebecca Ward is not on the fencing team? IIRC, she won the bronze as a teenager in 2008.

MCFinARL
07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Does anyone know why Rebecca Ward is not on the fencing team? IIRC, she won the bronze as a teenager in 2008.

Apparently, according to an article on the USA Fencing website, it's by her own choice--she has other things she wants to do and doesn't want to continue in international competition even though she enjoys fencing in college.

“You know, when I went to Cincinnati in 2010 and coming here, every other person has asked me if I’m coming back and what I’m doing. I get that question a lot and I’m done with international competition. I’ve done that and I’m moving on and doing different things with my life,” said Ward who is now a junior at Duke where she is studying public policy with an emphasis on the environment.

http://usfencing.org/news/2012/01/16/ward-mattern-and-kiefer-win-gold-at-january-nac-in-portland/46185

nmduke2001
07-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Apparently, according to an article on the USA Fencing website, it's by her own choice--she has other things she wants to do and doesn't want to continue in international competition even though she enjoys fencing in college.

http://usfencing.org/news/2012/01/16/ward-mattern-and-kiefer-win-gold-at-january-nac-in-portland/46185

Thanks for finding that. I poked around the website before I posted my question but didn't find that article. Good for her, but it must have been tough to give up a shot at a gold medal.

uh_no
07-10-2012, 04:25 PM

I believe to qualify for the fencing team, you have to have a high ranking in the world rankings (or some such) which requires going to all the international meets (or some such) which is a huge drain on time....especially if you're just trying to be a college student

MCFinARL
07-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I believe to qualify for the fencing team, you have to have a high ranking in the world rankings (or some such) which requires going to all the international meets (or some such) which is a huge drain on time....especially if you're just trying to be a college student

Yeah, I'm guessing the lure of a professional fencing career doesn't provide the same incentive to prioritize sport over school that it might in basketball or football. ;)

burnspbesq
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Another former Duke fencer, Ibtihaj Muhammad, came close to making the Olympic team in women's saber (she competed at last year's world championships), but just missed out.

JBDuke
07-10-2012, 10:32 PM
There was a really good article in the May/June Duke Magazine about Rebecca Ward. IIRC, she stated that since she had done the Olympics before, she knew the commitment it would take to get back there, and it would have meant giving up on much of her senior year at Duke. She chose to stay at Duke and complete her college experience in a more traditional manner. She said something profound about it - something to the effect that fencing wasn't going to define her life, so she was looking forward to the next challenge and Duke was preparing her for it.

Great article. You can read it by following this link: http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/
The article is on page 50 or so.

duke79
07-12-2012, 10:49 AM
By my count, seven current or former Duke athletes are slated to compete at the Olympics.

Eric Boateng, Great Britain, basketball
Luol Deng, Great Britain, basketball
Abby Johnston, USA, diving
Nick McCrory, USA, diving
Martynas Pocius, Lithuania, basketball
Shannon Rowbury, USA, track & field
Rebecca Smith, New Zealand, soccer

Have I overlooked anyone?

I may be wrong about this, but I believe Bruce Springsteen's daughter, Jessica, a rising Junior at Duke, is an alternate on the US Olympic Equestrian Team. I read where she is in London for the games.

burnspbesq
07-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Rebecca Smith played the full 90 minutes for the New Zealand women's soccer team in its 1-0 loss to Great Britain.

DST Fan
07-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Not competitors, but very important:

Mike Krzyzewski Head Coach USA Men's Basketball

Steve Wojciechowski USA Men's Basketball staff
Chris Collins USA Men's Basketball staff

In addition, Drew Johansen is coaching the diving team.

From goduke:

"DURHAM, N.C. - Duke diving coach Drew Johansen has been named head coach of the United States Diving team that will be competing at the upcoming Olympic Games in London."

Dukehky
07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing the lure of a professional fencing career doesn't provide the same incentive to prioritize sport over school that it might in basketball or football. ;)

I beat Becca Ward when we went head to head in competition...

It was in intramural beach volleyball, but I still came out victorious over an Olympian. Off topic, sorry

I remember hearing soon after the 2008 Olympics that she decided that that was it for her Olympic-wise, I also remember her being furious that she got the bronze, a little surprised she didn't go back to try and get the gold.

burnspbesq
07-27-2012, 05:34 PM
I beat Becca Ward when we went head to head in competition....

You did better than I did when I went up against an Olympian in volleyball.

Of course, I was up against an Olympic volleyball player, Elaina Oden, at an open gym in Irvine in the late 1980s. She basically hit straight down like I wasn't there. I think I got a hand on two balls all night.

OldPhiKap
07-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I beat Becca Ward when we went head to head in competition...

It was in intramural beach volleyball, but I still came out victorious over an Olympian. Off topic, sorry

I remember hearing soon after the 2008 Olympics that she decided that that was it for her Olympic-wise, I also remember her being furious that she got the bronze, a little surprised she didn't go back to try and get the gold.

I remember taking a tennis class with Nancy Hogshead back in the day.

She smoked me.

Olympic Fan
07-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Not strickly a Duke grad, but I believe Caroline Lind, the daughter of Duke basketball's Fred Lind, is competing again in the women's eight.

Lind, who actually attended Princeton, won a rowing gold in Beijing.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/-RvXtkzCUwu/USA+Sports+Pictures+Week+November+21+2011/sNWa-SIcZqN/Caroline+Lind

Plus, as we learned Friday night, we've got Grant Hill as a US Olympic Committee representative

Lord Ash
07-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Of course Grant Hill was sitting right next to the first lady! Pretty awesome to see a Dukie in that place, where the President of the United States would have been sitting otherwise!:) Grant is an amazing ambassador.

roywhite
07-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Abby Johnston with the Silver!

Native
07-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Abby Johnston with the Silver!

Mega-huge congrats to Abby. It's blowing my mind that I go to school with an Olympic medalist. Wow.

When does McCrory dive?

DevilWearsPrada
07-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Mega-huge congrats to Abby. It's blowing my mind that I go to school with an Olympic medalist. Wow.

When does McCrory dive?

Congrats to Abby!!! I am watching the diving now on NBC.

McCrory will dive on Monday! I read it on GoDuke.com.

And Congratulations to Team USA mens Basketball for a good win this morning!!!

DUKE REPRESENTS @ 2012 Olympics

DevilWearsPrada
07-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Abby will appear on NBC, later this morning for an interview segment. So proud of her for representing the USA and Duke University. In a 615 am segment, Dawn Kane, Duke Asst Swim and Diving Coach, conducted an Interview with NBC news, about Abby and Nick. Dawn said Abby has finished her Olympics and Nick will Dive today with his partner. Then will go away for a week from the Olympic Village to practice, and then return for Individual Diving next week.

MCFinARL
07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Nick McCrory and his diving partner David Boudia have won the bronze medal in 10-meter synchronized diving. Congratulations!

burnspbesq
07-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Duke is currently tied with Kazakhstan, the Netherlands, and Colombia for 15th place in the medal standings.

sagegrouse
07-30-2012, 07:25 PM
I think we should lay claim to Candace Parker, spouse of....

sage

OZZIE4DUKE
07-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I think we should lay claim to Candace Parker, spouse of....

sage

THE #23, Shelden Williams! :cool:

Ichabod Drain
07-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Nick McCrory and his diving partner David Boudia have won the bronze medal in 10-meter synchronized diving. Congratulations!

Just saw the replay. Awesome job guys! It's always fun to get excited about sports you probably would never watch if it wasn't the Olympics.

dpslaw
07-31-2012, 04:19 AM
Duke is currently tied with Kazakhstan, the Netherlands, and Colombia for 15th place in the medal standings.

And tied with China for first in diving medals.

MCFinARL
07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
And tied with China for first in diving medals.

;) Unfortunately, I don't think that tie is likely to last too long.....

Nacho
07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
100 meter backstroke silver medalist Nick Thoman is the son of Duke swimmer Henry Thoman '79 . Henry was in London to cheer his son to the medal podium. I think Nick has one relay swim left later in the meet.

Duvall
07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Rebecca Smith and New Zealand are through to the women's soccer quarterfinals, where they will take on the U.S.

roywhite
08-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Another gold medal for Caroline Lind and the Women's 8

Congrats to Freddy and Caroline, and the crew!

Duke71
08-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Another gold medal for Caroline Lind and the Women's 8

Congrats to Freddy and Caroline, and the crew!

Caroline's Lind's dad, Freddy Lind, made an indelible mark on the Duke basketball program during the late 60's Vic Bubas era by stepping up big off the bench during a Duke vs. UNC rivalry game to help the Blue Devils pull off a most improbable triple-overtime victory at the time.

Freddy's daughter, a Princeton grad, has distinguished herself as a world-class rower for quite a while now. So her team's achievement is by no means improbable.

She did her dad proud and the rest of us proud by her "extended family" accomplishment of winning Olympic Gold as part of the winning 8 member team that added to our medal count today.

Congrats. :):D:)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/rowing/story/2012-08-02/usa-womens-eight-boat-wins-gold-london-olympics/56685952/1

For those of you not old enough to remember Fred Lind's moment of glory over 40 years ago, here's a link previously shared on DBR:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022108aac.html

phaedrus
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Marty led Lithuania with 18 in a loss to France today.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/basketball/parker-france-down-lithuania.html

wgl1228
08-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Deng with a great game. He hit a 3 to cut it to one with 5 seconds left but Great Britain forgot to foul. Man would have been great to see them beat Spain.

Indoor66
08-02-2012, 06:21 PM
For those of you not old enough to remember Fred Lind's moment of glory over 40 years ago, here's a link previously shared on DBR:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022108aac.html

One of my favorite Duke BB games. I lost my voice that day. It was an overwhelming performance and a joy to watch.

blazindw
08-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Rebecca Smith and the Kiwis are done after a 2-0 defeat to the U S of A. USA will move on to face either Great Britain or Canada in the semifinals

ricks68
08-03-2012, 11:44 PM
One of my favorite Duke BB games. I lost my voice that day. It was an overwhelming performance and a joy to watch.

Everyone that I had conversations with on campus the next day had trouble speaking because of all the yelling we did the night before. I can still picture in my mind what it looked like outside the players' exit door with the mob carrying Freddie on their shoulders. (And if I ever forget, I can always look at the picture in the yearbook!;))

I really must admit that I thought it was all over once Lewis fouled out and Freddie came in,--------------but Freddie just came through with one clutch play after another: be it a difficult layup, a block, a free throw, a rebound, or whatever. He did it all over and over again. It truly was a joy to watch.:D

ricks

blazindw
08-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Marty Pocius and Lithuania are taking on Team USA (fresh off their 156-73 nailbiter against Nigeria) right now on NBC Sports Network/NBC Olympics Basketball if you're up on this fine morning! Marty got the start as well!

Native
08-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Marty Pocius and Lithuania are taking on Team USA (fresh off their 156-73 nailbiter against Nigeria) right now on NBC Sports Network/NBC Olympics Basketball if you're up on this fine morning! Marty got the start as well!

Marty is slicing through the USA defense at times. As I write this, Lithuania just took the lead. Wow.

burnspbesq
08-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Shannon ran 4:06.03, the seventh-fastest time of the first round. She was in what was by far the fastest heat, finishing seventh in a time that would have won either of the other heats.

Jillian Schwartz failed to advance to the final in the pole vault. She cleared 4.40 meters, but 4.55 was needed to advance.

Brian913
08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Hiroshi Hoketsu the 71 year old Japanese equestrian has a masters degree from Duke.

burnspbesq
08-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Shannon ran 4:05.47 to finish fifth in the first semi. The other semi was much faster, so she goes into the final with the slowest semifinal time of the 12 qualifiers.

burnspbesq
08-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but apparently it was a crazy slow, tactical race. The winning time was five seconds slower than the slowest time in the semifinals. The Turkish runners finished 1-2. The Ethiopian runner who had the fastest time in the world this year (3:56 and change), and the fastest times in the first round and the semis, finished fifth.

Nick finished eighth in the preliminary round of the men's individual platform competition. He moves on to tomorrow morning's (5:00 a.m. Eastern time) semifinal round.

roywhite
08-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but apparently it was a crazy slow, tactical race. The winning time was five seconds slower than the slowest time in the semifinals. The Turkish runners finished 1-2. The Ethiopian runner who had the fastest time in the world this year (3:56 and change), and the fastest times in the first round and the semis, finished fifth.

Nick finished eighth in the preliminary round of the men's individual platform competition. He moves on to tomorrow morning's (5:00 a.m. Eastern time) semifinal round.

Update on McCrory from goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205578611&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Nick had a strong showing in the semifinals, and is moving on to the finals

burnspbesq
08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Duke 2, Carolina 2. I am declaring Duke the winner because both of Carolina's medals came in the same competition (women's soccer).

sagegrouse
08-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Duke 2, Carolina 2. I am declaring Duke the winner because both of Carolina's medals came in the same competition (women's soccer).

Yes, in terms of contribution to the US medal count, it was Duke 2, Carolina 1. We'll give the women soccer team full credit, however, for the gold medal.

sage

phaedrus
08-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Shannon's 7th place finish in Beijing was the best finish ever by an American woman in the 1500m, so she has now improved that by a notch. Unfortunately, it seems like her achievement was largely overshadowed in the media by the Uceny sob story.