PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Spider Man review (w/ minor spoilers)

JasonEvans
07-05-2012, 09:54 PM
I was a bad boy and forgot to put my review up on the board when I saw this film a week ago. Anyway, because some people asked, here are my thoughts.

Note-- I will mention some plot points in my discussion of this film. I don't think any of the plot points could be considered major spoilers. Heck, this is a Spider Man origins story, I am not sure there could be any spoiler that would come as a total shock to audiences with any knowledge of the previous films/comic books.

It is impossible to talk about a Spider Man origin story without making reference to the original origin story by Sam Rami with Tobey McGuire, especially when you consider that that film was just a decade ago and its story line was still being explored in film just 5 years ago. Many consider the first Spider Man film to be one of the finest superhero movies ever made. It took a bold decision by the studio and the folks behind the new Spider Man to mine that ground again. I wish I could sit here and tell you that this version feels completely fresh and different from that first one... but I can't. Like all the great superhero stories, a Spider Man origin story must hit certain beats that we know are coming. Peter will be a somewhat nerdy student. He will lose his parents and live with his Aunt May and Uncle Ben. He will get bitten by a radioactive spider that gives him powers. He will fail to use those powers to stop a crime and the criminal will then kill his Uncle Ben. That act will inspire Peter to become the vigilante Spider Man. This movie does those exact things... it has to. But, I have to wonder a bit if the film might have been better and a bit more compelling if it had hit just a few different beats. My wife turned to me when it was over and said, "why did they bother to do the same thing again?" I was at a loss to give her an answer.

Mark Webb was not an experienced director when he was asked to make The Amazing Spider Man. The most significant credit he had was a small indie film called 500 Days of Summer, which was a romantic-drama that helped make bigger stars of Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. In many ways, his strongest contribution to this film is his handling of the characters and the "love story" between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. Stone's Gwen Stacy is probably the best character in the movie. I wish we had gotten more of the two young stars together on screen, though I imagine they will exploit this more in future films. Garfield is fine as Peter/Spidey, but I didn't love him in the role. Unlike Tobey McGuire's portrayal, this Peter Parker does not go through nearly as much of a personality change when he gains his powers. He is at his best chatting with Gwen and is just so-so when she is not on screen.

While Webb excels in the interpersonal relationships in the movie, he also does a surprisingly nice job with the action sequences and especially the 3D. There are several times he puts the camera into Spider Man's body and we get to come along for the ride as the web-slinger leaps through the caverns of New York's skyline. It is excellent 3D and a fun new way to enjoy the character. The fight scenes and action pieces are strong and well designed. Things never get blurry and you get a good sense of who has the upper hand all of the time. I also really enjoyed the ways Peter explores his new Spider abilities, especially a scene on a subway with some mugger types.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/amazing-spider-man-movie06.jpg

So far it sounds like I am describing a great movie... but I am not. ASM is good, but falls well short of great because of the story. The screenplay is credited to 3 different writers but I would not be surprised if there were 4 or 5 other folks who took turns cobbling this thing together. The plot veers around in haphazard ways, often introducing ideas or props merely for storytelling convenience not because it actually logically makes sense.

One great example of this comes around the middle of the movie when Peter Parker is on a tour of a scientific lab at Oscorp. Someone casually points to the corner and mentions that there is a device for weaponizing gases and spreading them over large areas. This device is not under lock and key. It is just sitting there waiting for someone to use it. It is so contrived and silly and the entire audience knows at that moment that this device will play a role in the movie's climax. Come on!!! At least make us think a little bit, please! And don't even get me started on how "dumbed down" the movie is when it has New York's construction workers all move their cranes into position so Spidey can swing downtown just in time to save the day (complete with TV News Reporter saying, "It looks like Spider Man won't make it in time..."). Sigh. I can't stand it when movies treat the audience like we are dumb and need our hand held the whole time.

But, the biggest story criticism I have is that the film sets itself up to tell one story and then decides to tell a completely different one. The entire first third of the movie is about Peter and the loss he feels over his parents deaths (plane crash... no bodies found... anyone wanna take bets on whether they are actually dead?). But for the entire back half of the movie, that story line is completely ignored. It is not resolved by the time the movie ends, though we get some hints at a larger conspiracy that clearly will be the basis for the next film. So we have a movie where it begins to tell one story and then just stops telling that story. This is clearly the product of multiple screen writers... and perhaps of a studio that decided to shelve one idea and tackle it in the next film. It should come as no surprise to anyone that after its initial shoot, Amazing Spider Man went through several additional reshoots to give us the film we have today.

The villain, The Lizard, is good CGI but his motivations fell kinda flat for me. At times the movie wants to portray him as a well-intentioned scientist but at times he is just an evil villain. For example, at one point he decides to attack Peter Parker's high school. I could not begin to tell you how this attack benefits the Lizard's cause. It is just an excuse for an action sequence in the movie. Whatever?!

These plot holes and contrivances are not a total mess, they just gnawed at me a little bit throughout the film and really grated on me after the film was over and I had time to reflect upon it. Like I said, AMS contains some good action sequences and some strong performances. The supporting cast is mostly good, especially Dennis Learey as a NY Police Chief, though I thought Sally Fields' Aunt May wasn't nearly compelling enough given what an important character that is in Peter's life.

Again, overall it is a good movie and one where almost all audiences will have a good time. But, the more you reflect on it the less you like it. It will do big big big bucks at the boxoffice and I hope we get some thing a bit more challenging and thoughtful in the sequel.

-Jason "my kids liked it more than I did, my wife liked it less -- if that helps" Evans

BD80
07-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Seriously, Mark WEBB directed a Spiderman flick?

What's next JA Steel directing a Superman movie?

Pat Angerer in charge of the next Hulk film?

Christopher Knight rebooting Batman?

JasonEvans
07-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Well people... opinions?

-Jason

ncexnyc
07-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Everyone was busy watching, "The Walking Dead" marathon.;)

Highlander
07-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Well people... opinions?

-Jason

Saw it yesterday afternoon, and almost wish I hadn't read your review in advance, because I think it influenced my opinion a bit. I found myself questioning the Lizard's motivations and enjoying Gwen Stacy's screentime. On the way home I kept trying to come up with something to say about what I really liked, and came up empty after "the 3D effects were pretty cool." That being said, I didn't hate it. I did think the Lizard's motivation to make everyone like him was a nice homage to his original appearance in "The Amazing Spider-Man," where he tries to do the same thing, only with the water supply. I went back and watched most of the Tobey Magurie version last night, and the CGI in that one was very noticeable compared to the new version. I liked Dennis Leary's character a lot; he was kind of a J. Jonah Jamison foil, but with less outright hate. I could follow why he disliked Spider-Man moreso than Jamison's motivations. I also found it amusing that in this movie, Norman Osborn gets a passing mention while Curt Conners is the main villan, while the previous version was the exact opposite (Parker is fired by Dr. Conners for coming in late one too many times).

It is not as good as "the Avengers," but it was a decent summer popcorn flick. My 8 year old son enjoyed it.

A-Tex Devil
07-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I liked it fine. I prefer this new cat to Tobey McGuire's aw shucks golly gee routine. The villain was weak, though, and was not too different in motivation and "sickness" to Green Goblin. The split personality scene seemed almost verbatim. Rhys Ifans has packed on some much needed weight since his Notting Hill/Replacements days.

SPOILER ALERT QUESTION (QUESTION IS LESS OF A SPOILER THAN THE POTENTIAL ANSWER) ---

So who is the dude in the short scene in the middle of the credits? I don't know the comic books. Or was it just more split personality stuff?

DukeHoo
07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
This film was decent. I think it gets overshadowed by the superior Spider-Man from a decade ago, but it's not without its charms (Emma Stone in particular). From what I heard, this movie was mostly the result of the licensing agreement between a then independent Marvel and Sony requiring use of the property every five years. Without such use, the movie rights to Spider-Man revert to Marvel (same goes with X-Men...which is why they seem to pump those out so regularly).

As for the story line, I had heard a rumor online (take it for what it's worth) that the original script leaned more heavily on Parker's parents and the father's research. Specifically, Parker's father genetically engineered Parker to gain some spider abilities once he was bitten by that fateful spider. Word got out about this change to the Spider-Man mythos to a number of fan boards (who reacted as one might predict), and Sony executives apparently wanted a last-minute re-edit after their screening. My guess is that they were stuck with the parents plotline in the prologue (they didn't want to reshoot the entire movie), but it made the plot muddled (and probably undercut Connors' motivations as the Lizard). Just my two cents.

JasonEvans
07-09-2012, 01:05 PM
SPOILER ALERT QUESTION (QUESTION IS LESS OF A SPOILER THAN THE POTENTIAL ANSWER) ---

So who is the dude in the short scene in the middle of the credits? I don't know the comic books. Or was it just more split personality stuff?

It is not at all clear who that person is, though most would surmise it is either Norman Osborn or one of his high-ranking lackeys. They had not cast Norman Osborn for this movie, which is why we never see him though his character plays a significant role in the plot, probably because they want to see which significant actor they can pick whose schedule would allow him to play the character in future movies. No reason to pay a name star to play a small role in this movie and no reason to use a no-name actor this time and then have to switch gears to someone new in future films when Osbourn potentially becomes one of the most important characters in the story.

That said, I think there could be a real problem with going to Osborn, aka: The Green Goblin, as the villain in the next movie. Many critics and fans are already criticizing this film for not breaking any new ground and essentially just rehashing the story of the first Rami Spiderman. Well, if they come back and make a sequel with Green Goblin as the villain again, that may serve to turn off fans/critics even more. The been-there, done-that stench could really start to haunt this Spiderman reboot franchise.

Also, one thing to be on the lookout for -- I think they will be forced to pick a big name actor for the next Spiderman villain. This movie is doing well at the boxoffice, but clearly has left a bad taste in the mouths of some fans/critics and does not appear to be doing the numbers of the previous Spiderman films (especially bad when you consider ticket inflation and 3D pricing). In the previous films, they had enough early success so they did not need to go the big name actor route for villains. I think that will not be the case this time around.

-Jason "need to see how this flick holds up -- the Cinemascore was good so maybe I am overstating the somewhat negative reactions to it" Evans

ncexnyc
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
It is not at all clear who that person is, though most would surmise it is either Norman Osborn or one of his high-ranking lackeys. They had not cast Norman Osborn for this movie, which is why we never see him though his character plays a significant role in the plot, probably because they want to see which significant actor they can pick whose schedule would allow him to play the character in future movies. No reason to pay a name star to play a small role in this movie and no reason to use a no-name actor this time and then have to switch gears to someone new in future films when Osbourn potentially becomes one of the most important characters in the story.

That said, I think there could be a real problem with going to Osborn, aka: The Green Goblin, as the villain in the next movie. Many critics and fans are already criticizing this film for not breaking any new ground and essentially just rehashing the story of the first Rami Spiderman. Well, if they come back and make a sequel with Green Goblin as the villain again, that may serve to turn off fans/critics even more. The been-there, done-that stench could really start to haunt this Spiderman reboot franchise.

Also, one thing to be on the lookout for -- I think they will be forced to pick a big name actor for the next Spiderman villain. This movie is doing well at the boxoffice, but clearly has left a bad taste in the mouths of some fans/critics and does not appear to be doing the numbers of the previous Spiderman films (especially bad when you consider ticket inflation and 3D pricing). In the previous films, they had enough early success so they did not need to go the big name actor route for villains. I think that will not be the case this time around.

-Jason "need to see how this flick holds up -- the Cinemascore was good so maybe I am overstating the somewhat negative reactions to it" Evans

I believe you're grossly overstating that number of fans and critics who are unhappy with this movie. Most negative reviews have followed yours to a T, basically that it's a reboot without new ground. I wasn't hot for a reboot myself, which is why I left it off my top 5 list, but to date it seems the public is eating this movie up. I think this weekend will tell us just where this movie stands with the fans and the public in general. Another big week and without serious dropoff will prove the negative critics wrong.

UrinalCake
07-09-2012, 02:39 PM
I really really enjoyed the movie, though my perspective is pretty skewed because I hadn't been to a movie theater in almost two years, and my wife and I hadn't been out together in probably six months, so we could have probably watched paint dry and enjoyed it. Anyways, I saw it on an IMAX 3D theater which was a lot of fun. I wasn't too interested in plot/character development, or how well they stuck to the comic books, I basically just wanted to be entertained for a couple hours and this movie did that.

I did think it was a little silly that a high school student was the head intern at a major biotech lab, but whatever. And I don't understand at all why they made Emma Stone a blond. I mean the original Mary Jane character was a redhead, which Stone is to begin with, so why mess with that?

Also, in the last scene I was unclear whether he was actually talking to someone or speaking to an imagined hallucination, as he had done in his lab in the sewers.

DukeHoo
07-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Just for clarification purposes, Stone was playing Spider-Man's first girlfriend, Gwen Stacy (who is blonde). I think Stone is naturally blonde as well.

JasonEvans
07-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Just for clarification purposes, Stone was playing Spider-Man's first girlfriend, Gwen Stacy (who is blonde). I think Stone is naturally blonde as well.

I don't think even Emma has any idea what her hair color is any more.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Emma_Stone_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg/220px-Emma_Stone_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2010/stylewatch/blog/101220/emma-stone-300x400.jpg http://images.askmen.com/celebs/women/celeb_profiles_actress_100/111_emma_stonelarge_image-1.jpg

-Jason "Stone is a natural blonde, but has been constantly red/auburn/brown for almost a decade (http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Artists/S/Stone_Emma/2012/07/09/19965831.html)" Evans

Dukefan1.0
07-10-2012, 01:12 AM
I enjoyed the movie now Spider-Man is not one of my most read comics, so I am not in the same crowd as most of the critics who are fans of the comic book, but I understand their beefs with the movie when compared to it's source material. A few plot holes like the ones Jason mentioned bothered me a little and my heart sunk a little when I learned that there was not going to be JK Simmons playing J. Jonah Jameson. Again I enjoyed it, but I do understand why some crowds did not.

allenmurray
07-10-2012, 10:09 AM
And don't even get me started on how "dumbed down" the movie is when it has New York's construction workers all move their cranes into position so Spidey can swing downtown just in time to save the day (complete with TV News Reporter saying, "It looks like Spider Man won't make it in time..."). Sigh. I can't stand it when movies treat the audience like we are dumb and need our hand held the whole time.

The Lizard, is good CGI but his motivations fell kinda flat for me.

If I can suspend disbelief well enough to hold in my mind for two hours that after getting bitten by a spider a high school kid will develop superpowers, then I can also believe that construction workers can orchestrate a crane ballet.

Similalry, if I can temporarily believe in a giant city destroying lizard I can accept that his motivation might be beyond my ken.

BD80
07-10-2012, 03:05 PM
... if I can temporarily believe in a giant city destroying lizard I can accept that his motivation might be beyond my ken.

If the actor and director can't convey the lizard's motivation, I wouldn't be looking for them around Oscar time.

roywhite
07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Saw it over the past weekend and liked it a lot. Preferred it to the original....better character development for Peter Parker IMO. Good chemistry between Peter and his girl friend Gwen (edit to add: my wife tells me Garfield and Stone have been dating for a while); kind of funny to see Marty Sheen and Sally Field in their roles, but they were good, I thought. Liked the level of Spider Man's powers, which were enhanced but still left some vulnerability; nice to see how some of the local citizens came to his aid.

Didn't really connect with the lizard character.

One of the better movies I've seen recently (but I don't see many in the theater these days).
Overall, maybe 3.5 stars out of 4.

Udaman
07-11-2012, 11:40 AM
You know, I feel about this like many of you have (sort of all rolled into one).

I didn't like that they just dropped the "what happened to my parents" until the very end.

I didn't like the uncle or aunt (Sally Fields just looked like someone who never washes her hair).

I didn't like the lizard's motivation.

I didn't like the cranes.

But...

I liked the special effects.

I liked the relationship with Peter and Gwen.

I liked Dennis Leary.

I liked most of the action sequences.

I liked the humor.

I agree that the fight in the school seemed only to be there for a cool fight scene, and yet I still liked it. I didn't like that these spiders all existed (and that surely someone else would have gotten bitten, and if not, then afterwards someone would allow themselves to get bitten), and yet, I liked how it all affected Peter. I didn't like that he created his own web stuff, but yet liked that that's how it happened in the comics.

Overall, it was a movie that on some level I felt I really shouldn't enjoy, and yet I actually really enjoyed it, and will see it again this weekend with my son (gladly).

So mixed emotions.

All I can say is that in one of the three, they better have Doc Ock. He's the best Spider Villain of all time (the "Joker" to Spidey). I have a feeling they won't, however. It will probably be Electro or the Hobgoblin, and then the Green Goblin (and I'm sure in the 3rd movie, he will throw Gwen to her death, as he did in the comic book version).