PDA

View Full Version : Magic Pick Up One Year Option on Redick for $6 Million

BD80
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
As expected, Magic pick up JJ's option:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/05/reports-magic-start-interviews-for-head-coach-keep-redick/related/

subzero02
07-05-2012, 08:43 PM
He might be their best player next year...

mgtr
07-05-2012, 09:22 PM
He might have been their best player last year!

-bdbd
07-06-2012, 12:23 AM
This report is erroneous. Everyone knows that Duke players don't succeed in the NBA....

:p

elvis14
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Didn't the Magic also resign Jameer Nelson? If so they pick up JJ's $6 million option and then resign a PG who won't pass him the ball! Brilliant!

subzero02
07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
After watching the Magic play the last 6 years, I think Jameer nelson hates Redick as much as your typical unc or maryland.

JBDuke
07-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Didn't the Magic also resign Jameer Nelson? If so they pick up JJ's $6 million option and then resign a PG who won't pass him the ball! Brilliant!

Yeah, I don't understand this. Nelson doesn't pass the ball to anyone, really. Given the other talent on the Magic, they really could use a pass-first PG. IMO, Nelson's strengths are his shooting and his driving ability. He's reasonably fast, a decent ball-handler, but he's defense is suspect. But his biggest deficiency is definitely his passing. Without Turkoglu on that team, ball movement just grinds to a halt. Heck, I think JJ is better at the entry pass than Nelson.

The Magic seem committed to him, though, for some reason.

theAlaskanBear
07-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I don't understand this. Nelson doesn't pass the ball to anyone, really. Given the other talent on the Magic, they really could use a pass-first PG. IMO, Nelson's strengths are his shooting and his driving ability. He's reasonably fast, a decent ball-handler, but he's defense is suspect. But his biggest deficiency is definitely his passing. Without Turkoglu on that team, ball movement just grinds to a halt. Heck, I think JJ is better at the entry pass than Nelson.

The Magic seem committed to him, though, for some reason.

Well, you have to field a team, and you have to hit a salary minimum. With Howard going to be gone they need a few salaries to keep within the new CBA. There aren't a whole lot of options left for PGs for Orlando anyway...

BD80
07-08-2012, 03:03 PM
... Heck, I think JJ is better at the entry pass than Nelson. ...

How can you say that? Have you ever seen Nelson even ATTEMPT an entry pass? We'll never know until he actually tries one.

JBDuke
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
... Heck, I think JJ is better at the entry pass than Nelson...

How can you say that? Have you ever seen Nelson even ATTEMPT an entry pass? We'll never know until he actually tries one.

Excellent point! I shall revise:

Heck, I ASSUME JJ is better at the entry pass, given Nelson's lack of passing prowess to other players. I am open to reconsideration once Nelson actually attempts an entry pass to Howard.

:D

ice-9
07-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Excellent point! I shall revise:

Heck, I ASSUME JJ is better at the entry pass, given Nelson's lack of passing prowess to other players. I am open to reconsideration once Nelson actually attempts an entry pass to Howard.

:D

That pass will only happen with Dwight in a Lakers or Nets uniform. :D

Ltrey33
07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
My guess is that JJ gets traded away from the Magic this year around the deadline.

The Magic were built as an inside-outside team, and with the writing on the wall that Dwight Howard is going to be leaving, all of those shooters they surrounded him with will be less valuable. They'll probably try to get something for him before he goes out and hits free agency next year.