PDA

View Full Version : Please keep Duke fball player Blair Holliday in your thoughts and prayers

Mike Corey
07-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Duke football player Blair Holliday (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205152824) was in a jet ski accident yesterday.

There is no release from Duke yet, but something is forthcoming later today depending on the situation and wishes of the family, I'd suspect.

Please keep him and and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

OldPhiKap
07-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Duke football player Blair Holliday (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205152824) was in a jet ski accident yesterday.

There is no release from Duke yet, but something is forthcoming later today depending on the situation and wishes of the family, I'd suspect.

Best wishes and prayers for Blair and his family, I hope it is nothing too serious.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-05-2012, 12:54 PM

I pray that I'm reading too much negativity into your tone and that he hasn't suffered life threatening or life altering injuries. Jet skies, like motorcycles, can be alot of fun, but they are powerful machines with accidents built in just waiting to happen. His football career, or season, is secondary. Best wished to Blair.

cbnaylor
07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm afraid this very well could be the end of his football career if not more serious. I pray for the better. A guy that I work with pulled Blair out of the water yesterday. He was unconscious and finally after 20 min of waiting, he was air lifted. The only other information that I will share is that he had head injuries. Please keep Blair in your prayers.

-jk
07-05-2012, 01:49 PM
The N&O has a brief story (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/05/2180879/duke-wide-receiver-seriously-injured.html) on it.

Blair's listed in critical condition.

-jk

Native
07-05-2012, 02:11 PM
More from the Chronicle (http://dukechronicle.com/article/football-player-reportedly-coma).

Prayers for Blair.

Mike Corey
07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
From Coach Cutcliffe:

First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers are with Blair, his parents, Leslie and Rick, and the entire Holliday family. The Holliday family is one of tremendous character and strength, and is truly an inspiration for all of us. Secondly, we could not be more appreciative of the care and support Blair has received here at UNC Hospitals. The doctors, nurses and support staff have been truly outstanding.

We ask that you continue to keep Blair and his family in your thoughts, and also respect their privacy in this time of concern.

FerryFor50
07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
A horribly tragic reminder that we are not as invincible as we seem...

Hope it's not life or career threatening. Speedy recovery, Blair!

DukeDevilDeb
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I had Blair as a student in one of my classes. He is a wonderful young man, and I hope and pray that his excellent physical conditioning and the skill of his physicians can pull him through this one.

What a shame!

OZZIE4DUKE
07-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Heard on the news that the player Blair Holliday collided with was Jameson Crowder. Thank goodness he wasn't (seriously) hurt too.

blazindw
07-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Heard on the news that the player Blair Holliday collided with was Jameson Crowder. Thank goodness he wasn't (seriously) hurt too.

That's mentioned in this Chronicle article: http://dukechronicle.com/article/football-player-critical-condition

Just an awful situation for all members of the Duke Football family as well as the Duke community as a whole...hoping Blair can pull through this.

-bdbd
07-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Blair, you are in our thoughts and our prayers young man.

Stuff like this really puts things in perspective.

Bostondevil
07-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Keeping Blair Holiday in my thoughts today. I'm adding thoughts and prayers for Jameson Crowder to the list. I can imagine he's going through a rough time himself right now.

oldnavy
07-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Things like this are always very difficult to digest. Kids just out having a good time one second, then the next one is in critical condition hanging onto life.

My prayers go out to him, his family and his team of health care workers for comfort, peace and wisedom....

Cannot imagine the anxiety that the parents must be feeling now, a special prayer for them.

weezie
07-06-2012, 08:45 AM
The poor, poor kids. There are hardly any words to add to all of the above other than to keep praying.

chrishoke
07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Sending lots of love to the students and families from a big family of Hoke Duke fans.

Brian913
07-06-2012, 01:17 PM
This is a terrible tragedy. My family and I will be praying for him and his family. I know from personal experience the agony his family is going through at this time. There is no way to know what the future will hold for him if this is a severe head injury. The doctors can't tell you anything at this time - the first thing is to get though the brain swelling and survive. then there is long recovery.

A TBI changes everything in your life.

DevilWearsPrada
07-07-2012, 09:49 AM
More from the Chronicle (http://dukechronicle.com/article/football-player-reportedly-coma).

Prayers for Blair.

Native.....any word on Blair's status from your contacts with fellow students and Football players?

WRAL and News 14 is reporting the same status. Those jet skis can be so dangerous. Just in a split second, your whole life can change with an accident. I know, I was hit my a drunk driver in a truck head on, in my 20s, and it changed my entire life.

Prayers for Blair and the Holliday family, and the Duke family (football team and staff, classmates, faculty and Duke Football community).

Brian913
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Assuming the injury is as severe as the news reports would indicate - no news is probably good news.

Mike Corey
07-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Assuming the injury is as severe as the news reports would indicate - no news is probably good news.

I'm told from people that actually know something about medicine that with head traumas, the first 72 hours are crucial because that's when swelling peaks. The goal may very well be to keep him sedated and ventilated through that time frame.

That isn't to say that is what is happening here, but that's at least a reasonable possibility.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Tweeted by Coach Cut on Facebook
Please continue to pray for Blair. He's stable but still critical. I'm with him now and letting him know of ur prayers. 2:15 is the target

Brian913
07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm told from people that actually know something about medicine that with head traumas, the first 72 hours are crucial because that's when swelling peaks. The goal may very well be to keep him sedated and ventilated through that time frame.

That isn't to say that is what is happening here, but that's at least a reasonable possibility.

I think you misunderstood my post. The only news that would come out about his condition is bad news. Every minute that type of news isn't released the better his chances for survival.

I will say this about the 72 hour (I was also told 5 days) time period is that no one really knows. In my daughter's case, her brain swelling peaked a week after the accident. Nobody - including the MDs really know when the peak will be reached, nor can they tell what the ultimate recovery will be until long, long after the incident.

jimsumner
07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Statement from his parents.

"Our family would like to extend its sincere gratitude to everyone who has provided thoughts and prayers on Blair’s behalf over the last week. We have been overcome with the extended love and support.

“We cannot express our heartfelt appreciation enough for Duke University and the Duke Football family during this time of uncertainty. Coach David Cutcliffe, coach Matt Lubick, coach Kurt Roper, Stan Wilcox, Hap Zarzour and so many others have been with us every step of the way, often times going above and beyond the call of duty to ensure our comfort and well-being. We are so proud to be a part of this team that also includes Blair’s teammates and their parents, who have been so generous with their care and support.

"We would like to thank our extended family who have loved, mentored, and supported Blair both through the years and especially now when he needs them the most: The Buckley School, Oaks Christian School and AIM High Basketball. We also wish to thank Blair's personal physician -- Dr. Janesri DeSilva -- who has provided valuable guidance and tremendous comfort to our family.

“The doctors, nurses and support staff here at UNC Hospitals have been nothing short of wonderful. We are so thankful for their commitment, dedication and professionalism.

“We firmly believe in the power of prayer, and are confident that everyone’s efforts have made a positive impact on Blair. As we continue focusing our energy towards Blair and our family, we also would like to thank everyone for respecting our privacy as it pertains to his condition.” "

OZZIE4DUKE
07-11-2012, 08:50 AM
In one article on the N&O this morning (in section B, page 1) it said that Blair opened his eyes on Monday! I have not seen that anywhere else, and surely that would have been reported and touted as great progress.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/10/2191094/duke-players-injury-shows-risks.html

Holliday sustained severe head injuries and remains in critical condition at the UNC Hospitals Trauma Center, though he opened his eyes Monday.

Mike Corey
07-11-2012, 09:48 AM
The Herald Sun reports (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/19257187/article-Nursing-student--Duke%E2%80%99s-Holliday-%E2%80%98unresponsive-and-lifeless%E2%80%99-after-accident) on area nursing student Chelsea Gibbons' story of caring for Holliday before Holliday was airlifted to UNC.

Gibbons, 23, identified herself as a nursing student. Trained in CPR, she completed a class in June to renew her certification. She had never performed the life-saving procedure on a live person.

“I started assessing all his injuries,” Gibbons said Tuesday in a phone interview. “I could find a pulse and there was shallow breathing, but then I lost his pulse. I checked his neck (for a pulse), but he had injuries there. His bottom jaw was split. He was bleeding from his mouth and chin.”

Gibbons pulled back Holliday’s eyelids to check his pupils. She checked his abdomen for injuries to his vital organs.

“Everything was fine there,” Gibbons said. “It was all head injuries. He looked like a rag doll when they pulled him out of the water.”

While Gibbons examined Holliday, her mother, Debbie Gibbons, and her friend, Niki Coyne, called 911. Gibbons checked Holliday’s mouth to make sure no dislodged teeth or anything else had blocked his airway.

Holliday had stopped breathing. So Gibbons breathed into his mouth, giving what’s known as rescue breaths, and then applied chest compressions.

“His pulse was so weak,” Gibbons said. “I could find it, but it was weak. Then he took a breath.”

MCFinARL
07-11-2012, 10:18 AM
In one article on the N&O this morning (in section B, page 1) it said that Blair opened his eyes on Monday! I have not seen that anywhere else, and surely that would have been reported and touted as great progress.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/10/2191094/duke-players-injury-shows-risks.html

According to the Herald Sun article linked here and on the front page, the source of this report is a Nolan Smith tweet. According to the tweet Blair opened his eyes and gave a thumbs up sign when Nolan was visiting on Monday. Perhaps it hasn't been more widely reported because it was not an official statement from the doctors or the family, but it is still good news.

Brian913
07-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I am not trying to temper anyone's hopes, but Nolan's tweet doesn't mean that he is "oviously out of his coma" as stated on the front page yesterday. Ninety-nine per cent of the time, it's not like a person waking from a coma in a movie. It is a long gradual process - from being entirely unresponsive to being fully conscious. The MDs use scoring systems like the Glasgow Coma Scale and the Rancho Los Amigos Scale to judge depth of coma and recovery from a brain injury. It can take weeks, months to get to a level where you are fully conscious and can react to your enviroment. When discharged from Duke Hosptital two months after her accident was barely a 2+ on the Rancho Los Amigos scale; although at times she showed flashes of higher functioning. Many never get there. For every few steps forward, there is likely to be a couple of steps back. A TBI changes everything in your life and the recovery process can be a life-long struggle.

The most important thing at this time is to keep praying for Blair and his family. And let them know that you care. I can't express how important to us were the support, the cards, letters we received during my daughter's recovery from many, many people (including dozens on this board.) We have never been able to thank all these people for their help but it was invaluable.

This all assumes that (as indicated by the news reports,) Blair has a severe TBI. I hope that's an incorrect assumption.

blazindw
07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Other players tweeted that Blair opened his eyes, but we don't know if those players were also present or were just tweeting what they had been told. All we can do is continue to pray for his recovery and that of his family as they rally around him.

Brian913
07-17-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't want this thread to disappear. Blair has a long hard recovery in front of him. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

MattC09
07-18-2012, 12:49 AM
I saw this posted on Twitter earlier tonight by Patrick Cacchio while I was at the ProAm games. Someone has set up a site to donate money to the family to help cover their expenses while Blair is in the hospital. I'm sure they would appreciate the help.

[link redacted for now]

Hopefully this doesn't violate any forum rules. I didn't see anything in the sticky but wanted to make sure.

-jk
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM
The link - worthy though it is - may be a bit premature, so I had to redact it.

We'll revisit it when we have more complete info.

Thanks,

-jk

riddle me this
07-18-2012, 05:20 PM
The link seems legit, it was posted by several of the football friends that I am friends with on facebook. In addition the Duke Blue Devils Football recruiting page on facebook also posted it and several players with twitter accounts have posted it. Now these do not equate legitimacy, but it appears legitimate.

MattC09
07-18-2012, 11:29 PM
The link - worthy though it is - may be a bit premature, so I had to redact it.

We'll revisit it when we have more complete info.

Thanks,

-jk

No problem. I wasn't sure about that but guessed it was all right since the checks were being received at Yoh.

-jk
07-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks for understanding. The powers that be can be sticklers.

-jk

DukeSean
07-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Just contributed to Blair's recovery fund, I encourage y'all to contribute as well. Let's show support for him and his family and demonstrate to all Duke football players and recruits that the fan base supports them.

Get well Blair!

Mike Corey
07-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Let's keep the prayers, the thoughts, and the donations going for Blair and his family and friends.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-20-2012, 10:57 PM
If you're uncertain about taking action regarding a contribution to help Blair's family, click on the link in the sticky for this fundraiser. When the web page comes up, click on the Donors tab. Reading the comments from donors may help you with your decision.

People who read this board have pumped up polls by voting repeatedly. The Holidays are family. They need our help.

Newton_14
07-25-2012, 08:32 PM
There is new info about the accident in this article (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/11351794/).

A good read on the whole, but below are the key points about how it happened. Very sad. I feel really bad for Crowder. It was just an unfortunate accident where a fun activity went terribly wrong, even though the guys were not being careless. Still praying for Blair, and hoping he can somehow have a full recovery.

From the article:

Recreating the collision, officer Brandon Garrison said that Holliday and Crowder were roughly 20 yards apart on Yamaha waverunners owned by Duke defensive end Lucas Fisher’s stepfather, Michael Redden. They were heading north on Lake Tillery in search of other friends in their party. Holliday was the lead watercraft and at a moment when Crowder reached to his face to clear water from his eyes, Holliday had maneuvered in front of Crowder and stopped. By the time Crowder looked up, it was too late.

The report indicates that Crowder’s jet ski was traveling between 21 and 40 miles per hour when it struck the left side of a still-standing Holliday in T-bone fashion. The waverunner struck Holliday’s head, threw him from his watercraft and left him unconscious.

Brian913
07-25-2012, 10:32 PM
It's now just over three weeks from the accident. I just want toy ask people not to forget as time passes. The recovery from this type of injury isn't in weeks, or even months. It will be a long, hard, and very lonely struggle for Blair and his family. Believe me, any show of concern and support will be appreciatedby the family.

oldnavy
07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Keeping the family and kid in my prayers. Praying for a full recovery and peace and comfort during the process for all those involved.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Let's keep this thread up where everyone can see it. It's the long term support from folks who care that is needed at this time. Support can be prayers, contributions to the fund raiser or keeping Blair foremost in our thoughts and conversations.

The recovery fund is up to 39% of the goal. All contributions and prayers are welcome. Blair and his family are part of the Duke family. We need them and they need us.

-jk
07-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Cracked 40%. Please keep it coming. If you've never seen a major medical bill, they're frightening, and insurance leaves gaps.

And if insurance does come through, any extra money will be turned over to charity.

-jk

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Cracked 40%. Please keep it coming. If you've never seen a major medical bill, they're frightening, and insurance leaves gaps.

And if insurance does come through, any extra money will be turned over to charity.

-jk

Living expenses for families who must live in a hotel/motel and eat in restaurants while treatment goes on for a long time can be very expensive as well. This fund raiser is to help his family pay all sorts of bills mounting up during Blair's time in the hospital. -jk's comment about the medical expenses is also on point.

-jk
07-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Living expenses for families who must live in a hotel/motel and eat in restaurants while treatment goes on for a long time can be very expensive as well. This fund raiser is to help his family pay all sorts of bills mounting up during Blair's time in the hospital. -jk's comment about the medical expenses is also on point.

The guidelines for the fund are fairly limiting:
The trust fund may be used only for medical expenses or other actual and necessary expense incurred as a result of the medical care that are not covered by insurance. The fund may not be used for personal expenses. Any excess proceeds of the trust fund must be given to a not-for-profit organization.

It's pretty much just for medical and rehab expenses not otherwise covered. I don't think it covers family travel or much of anything else. It's money we'll spent.

-jk

Acymetric
07-30-2012, 09:06 PM
...or other actual and necessary expense incurred as a result of the medical care

I would think that might cover living expenses while receiving treatment on the opposite side of the continent from home. And certainly would still be money well spent. Of course, I don't really know either, maybe someone with more actual knowledge of fund could chime in.

Definitely pulling hard as Blair makes his recovery!

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
I would think that might cover living expenses while receiving treatment on the opposite side of the continent from home. And certainly would still be money well spent. Of course, I don't really know either, maybe someone with more actual knowledge of fund could chime in.

Definitely pulling hard as Blair makes his recovery!

You're right! I thought the original idea for the fund raiser was to help the family's expenses for staying near the hospital during this time..... but I may have misunderstood.

The bills are mounting. Whatever we can do to help is worthwhile.

Newton_14
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
You're right! I thought the original idea for the fund raiser was to help the family's expenses for staying near the hospital during this time..... but I may have misunderstood.

It is disappointing to me, that the NCAA will not alllow any of the funding to cover the parents travelling, hote, and meal expenses. Those costs are going to mount. I really think that should be reconsidered. But as of now, the ruling is that none of the money raised can go for that.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-30-2012, 10:20 PM

I was in the Iron Duke office on Wednesday afternoon last week and was told that Mrs. Holliday was now staying as a guest in the home of another player in the Durham area, rather than living in a hotel.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-30-2012, 10:37 PM
I was in the Iron Duke office on Wednesday afternoon last week and was told that Mrs. Holliday was now staying as a guest in the home of another player in the Durham area, rather than living in a hotel.

That's good news.... not only because of the savings in lodging costs, but also the environment is a much more supportive one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-30-2012, 10:38 PM
It is disappointing to me, that the NCAA will not alllow any of the funding to cover the parents travelling, hote, and meal expenses. Those costs are going to mount. I really think that should be reconsidered. But as of now, the ruling is that none of the money raised can go for that.
I suspected that the NCAA approval had something to do with defining the focus of fund raising.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Goduke.com article about Blair's progress and the creation of a fund to help with the costs of his treatment:
http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205565016

Web page with updates on Blair's condition and treatment, information about the recovery fund plus journal entries and comments: http://blairholliday.org/

chrishoke
08-07-2012, 07:10 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205569846&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Blaire spoke to Cut and staff by phone!!!

Newton_14
08-07-2012, 07:38 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205569846&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Blaire spoke to Cut and staff by phone!!!

Man that is the best news I have heard all week. Thanks for sharing!

HK Dukie
08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
I suspected that the NCAA approval had something to do with defining the focus of fund raising.

This money can be used for any purpose related to the injury including hotel/living expenses. If beyond direct living costs then the NCAA would have an issue with that. However, I wouldn't necessarily expect Blair to come back and play NCAA sports. We care about his health not his on the field contribution. So frankly I say screw the NCAA. Whatever the family needs is what is the right thing to do.

If that would make him ineligible if the off chance he could come back to play, then so be it. His family needs the help now.

Newton_14
08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Attention Twitter folks, please follow Blair at @PrayFor8, and encourage him and the family through his recovery and rehab. He only has 29 followers so far. Lets get that number up!

PrayFor8 & Go Duke!

Brian913
08-11-2012, 12:58 PM
From http://blairholliday.org/ - 8/9 post

"The report of the day is one of good news. Blair was able to sit in the cafeteria with his mom and brother to eat a meal today. He is also working on walking during the his therapy sessions. This is more good news people around the nation are waiting to hear. The steps to recovery are long and tedious and celebrating the victories along the way continue to bring hope that Blair will eventually have a complete recovery. He has come a long way in the past few days and we can rejoice and be glad for the progress. But remember, the process of healing will include daily therapy for a very long extended time. Please remember Blair in your prayers as well as his brothers, Chase and Dallas as they do all they can to encourage Blair through these difficult, and frustrating days. Also, remember Rick and Leslie as they work through so many detail and keep a positive outlook. The enormous medical bills will continue to pile up as a variety of therapists work with Blair everyday. Continue to look for ways to help with promoting the Blair Holliday Recovery Trust."

Please visit the website - make a donation, or if you can't, leave a message for Blair.

Brian913
08-11-2012, 10:35 PM
You can mail Blair letters or cards to the Shepherd Center. The address is: Blair Holliday,c/o Shepherd Center, 2020 Peachtree Road, NW, Atlanta, GA 30309-

blazindw
08-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Man, the news of the past couple days has just given me such a lift. So happy to hear that Blair is steadily improving!

mkline09
09-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I placed a link in the sticky regarding Blair Holliday but wanted to share it in this thread as well. I'm auctioning off an autographed Football Poster with 100 percent of the proceeds going to Blair Holliday's Recovery Fun. If you are interested feel free to check it out.

http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/09/23/duke-sports-blog-auction-to-benefit-blair-holliday-fund.aspx

chrishoke
11-15-2012, 10:53 AM
This is a great read - some great quotes from Cut.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-11-15/blair-holliday-duke-accident-jamison-crowder-cutcliffe-bowl-eligible-unc

TruBlu
11-15-2012, 04:14 PM
This is a great read - some great quotes from Cut.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-11-15/blair-holliday-duke-accident-jamison-crowder-cutcliffe-bowl-eligible-unc

Thanks for linking to this. I doubt there are many people who can read this without getting a tear in their eye, or without being inspired by Blair.

Keep it up Blair. EVERY DAY IS A HOLLIDAY!