PDA

View Full Version : Pocius dunking?

Lord Ash
08-03-2007, 01:12 PM
So happened to catch this on InsideCarolina of all places; I hadn't seen this before.

Marty has got some hops.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iplFCEzmwoI

Lord Ash
08-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Holy cow I spelled Pocius wrong in the title, can a mod please fix that, it looks really terrible.

:mad:

TillyGalore
08-03-2007, 01:35 PM
What was this doing on a Carowhina site?

Would love to see him to that to Carowhina!!!

Classof06
08-03-2007, 01:54 PM
He hasn't played that much in his career thus far so maybe people don't know, but it's been well-documented that Pocius has hops. His first two seasons, I'm pretty sure he had the highest vert (vertical jump) on the team.

I know Krzyzewski had issues with his defense and now we have so many kids that can play the 2 or 3, but why isn't Pocius playing more? It has to be something behind the scenes because most have been aware of his athleticism since day 1.

Cameron
08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Marty really showed his skills in the NC State ACC Tourney game as well as in the VCU game, wherein he threw down a nasty dunk just inside the foul line. I have never been one of the "Marty People," but, after I saw his heart and determination in the NC State game, I became a believer. He played his a** off that night, and was the sole reason that game even went into an extra period.

Here's to you, Marty...

VaDukie
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I really hope Marty gets some minutes next season. We have so much talent from 2-3 that it'll be hard to work out minutes.

With Paulus, Smith, Scheyer, Nelson, Marty, and Gerald, I think we may run some lineups where 4 of those 5 are on the court at once.

JasonEvans
08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Holy cow I spelled Pocius wrong in the title, can a mod please fix that, it looks really terrible.

:mad:

Done.

-Jason

Scoring Point
08-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20, of course, but I really think Marty should have been given a longer look as a Frosh. Markie was never close to 100% that year, and Dock, though a senior and strong defender, was a complete non-factor on offense once he injured his hand, averaging something like 2.3 ppg in 25 mpg after he returned. While JJ and Shelden both had tremendous senior seasons, a lack of offensive balance really caught up to us late that year and was our ultimate downfall in my IMHO.

STLDukeFan4
08-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I like Pocious and a lot of the things that he brings to the floor. It seems like his defense is getting better, but the thing about him to me is that it seems like he can make some careless turnovers and lose focus at times when he is on the floor. With that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing more of him this year, but with our depth, I dont know that that is going to neccesarily happen.

Lord Ash
08-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Thank you Jason, I am an idiot.

mapei
08-04-2007, 03:01 PM
it seems like he can make some careless turnovers and lose focus at times when he is on the floor.

That hasn't kept others from starting. ;)

SilkyJ
08-04-2007, 04:35 PM
That hasn't kept others from starting. ;)

Zing! I do remember coach k said last year in a press conference that he needed to find a way to get Marty minutes.

also, lets not forget that he was injured for a lot of the season...

ACCBBallFan
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Zing! I do remember coach k said last year in a press conference that he needed to find a way to get Marty minutes.

also, lets not forget that he was injured for a lot of the season...

At the two guard slots, I expect Paulus and Scheyer to garner about 60 of the 80 minutes, leaving 20 for Nolan and Marty to vie over.

They won;t always split is 10-10 as smetimes it may be 15-5 and at other times 5-15 dependig on matchups and whther Nolan as a frosh is ready for Offense and Defense Duke plays.

allenmurray
08-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I know Krzyzewski had issues with his defense .

You mention this almost as if it is not a big issue. For K this is the beginning, middle, and end of his playing-time decision making. I really like Marty and would love to see him play more. But as long as K has issues with his defense Marty will see very limited time.

elvis14
08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I like Pocious and a lot of the things that he brings to the floor. It seems like his defense is getting better, but the thing about him to me is that it seems like he can make some careless turnovers and lose focus at times when he is on the floor. With that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing more of him this year, but with our depth, I dont know that that is going to neccesarily happen.

What I saw last year was his defense getting much better. For me it seemed like he got yanked every time he made a mistake. That can really make a player too cautious and tentative....which in turn leads to poor play (and things like turnovers). I'd like to see him get some real playing time to see what he can really contribute. Give him some confidence by letting him work thru some mistakes and I think we would get a nice surprise. Like others have said, however, we are crowded with wing players and we really need Gerald to be the man, we need Nelson's defense, we need Paulus' heart (and hopefully better play as a PG), Jon's overall game, etc. What does all that mean? It means Marty with his super hops might spend a lot of time on the bench unless he gets hot early!

Classof06
08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
You mention this almost as if it is not a big issue. For K this is the beginning, middle, and end of his playing-time decision making. I really like Marty and would love to see him play more. But as long as K has issues with his defense Marty will see very limited time.

I'm not saying it's not a big issue; I think we all realize how important defense is in Duke's system. But I used "had," as in the past tense. Given some of Krzyzewski's comments last year, it seemed like he felt more comfortable giving Pocius minutes, yet his minutes didn't rise. My guess is Marty's injuries.

dukestheheat
08-06-2007, 03:56 PM
dudes,

marty can fly. no question about it.

dth.

adukefan4life52
08-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Pocius dunked in the VCU game. I don't agree that Scheyer is going to get more minutes this year. With the arrival of Singler, King, and Nolan, I see his minutes actually decreasing this year. Think about our starting lineup. Most people on this board expect it to be Paulus, Nelson, Henderson, Singler, and Lance/Zoubek. How many guards were there for him to split time with last season? This year we have more. This means less playing time for Marty, and less playing time for Scheyer as well. He'll start the first few games (Scheyer will) probably because K usually isn't big on starting freshman right away but by the end of the season, he's coming off the bench, no doubt. I saw the pickup games this year, and he's just way too skinny and is just such a liability on defense. In my opinion, he's not a good enough shooter on offense to be starting because of his poor defense.

ACCBBallFan
08-07-2007, 10:40 AM
dudes,

marty can fly. no question about it.

dth. I thought in Back to the Future, it was Marty McFly.

ACCBBallFan
08-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Pocius dunked in the VCU game. I don't agree that Scheyer is going to get more minutes this year. With the arrival of Singler, King, and Nolan, I see his minutes actually decreasing this year. Think about our starting lineup. Most people on this board expect it to be Paulus, Nelson, Henderson, Singler, and Lance/Zoubek. How many guards were there for him to split time with last season? This year we have more. This means less playing time for Marty, and less playing time for Scheyer as well. He'll start the first few games (Scheyer will) probably because K usually isn't big on starting freshman right away but by the end of the season, he's coming off the bench, no doubt. I saw the pickup games this year, and he's just way too skinny and is just such a liability on defense. In my opinion, he's not a good enough shooter on offense to be starting because of his poor defense.Team concepts don't come to the fore front in pickup games.

Everybody remembers Eric Maynor beating Jon Scheyer when it counted, but he made a great play that was not his MO the rest of that VCU game and would have beaten most defenders,

Scheyer is a better defender than most give him credit for, and though frail, he usually did a great job following his man through multiple screens, or the same premise why Coach K did not play Marty the year before would have been invoked.

6th Man
08-07-2007, 10:59 AM
We have way too many guys that fit into the same position right now. Pocius, Nelson, Henderson, Scheyer, Smith......unfortunatley Pocius seems like the odd man out.

TheDuke11
08-07-2007, 11:35 AM
well luckily for us, Pocius doesnt feel like the odd man out...if he did he would not be on the roster.

Indoor66
08-07-2007, 11:38 AM
well luckily for us, Pocius doesnt feel like the odd man out...if he did he would not be on the roster.

I respect you signature list but you have omitted one of the great, obscure Duke players: Glenn Smiley ('67 or thereabouts). FWIW and IMO, he should be on your bench.

TheDuke11
08-07-2007, 03:05 PM
hahah I was about negative 9 years old around that time.
how do I take that sig down btw? I have no idea how I got it up there to begin with.

Indoor66
08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
hahah I was about negative 9 years old around that time.
how do I take that sig down btw? I have no idea how I got it up there to begin with.

fo to User CP and click on signature. Just highlight and delete.