PDA

View Full Version : Singler to sign with Pistons July 11

BD80
06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Pistons president Joe Dumars says he expects to sign Singler on July 11.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pistons-plan-add-kyle-singler-225750343--nba.html

dukeman28428
06-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Look forward to seeing you play in the NBA Kyle.

Make it happen in Detroit.

Neals384
06-30-2012, 10:20 AM
The Medford Mail Tribune has a longer article about Kyle signing with the Pistons:
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120630/SPORTS/206300317

Kyle: "I'm really excited about it," the 6-foot-8 forward said of playing in the NBA. "My experience in Spain was awesome, and if I didn't have the opportunity to play here, more than likely I'd go back and continue to play in Spain. But this opportunity is great and it's always been a dream of mine to play in the NBA and I'm really excited to get that started."

Kyle will play in the Orlando summer league July 9 - 13.

hq2
06-30-2012, 01:51 PM
The Medford Mail Tribune has a longer article about Kyle signing with the Pistons:
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120630/SPORTS/206300317

Reading the article, he appears to have significantly improved his field goal percentage overseas. That was the main problem
with him before he left. If he can keep it up back here, he'll be headed for a fine NBA career as a small forward.

Neals384
07-02-2012, 01:00 PM
The Medford Mail Tribine published a followup article here (http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120701/SPORTS/207010338).

flyingdutchdevil
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
The Medford Mail Tribine published a followup article here (http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120701/SPORTS/207010338).

The Pistons need a hard-nosed player like Singler. Austin Daye hasn't developed as had hoped and Tayshaun Prince has logged a lot of minutes, especially considering how injury-proned he is. Singler has the opportunity to really shine on this team.

Also, the Pistons are headed in the right direction. They already not rid of Ben Gordon, and now only need to get rid of Charlie Villanueva (who makes $7.5 million!!!!!!) and they're on the right track. Have they used their amnesty clause yet?

BD80
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM

The author has a gift for understatement:

Charlie Villanueva, another 6-11 forward, has been somewhat of an enigma in recent years with his lack of production on defense

The article accurately reflects what local sources reporting. As much as the fanbase hates Villanueva, it now seems unlikely he will be amnestied. The Pistons have jettisoned Ben Gordon, but won't gain the cap room until Maggette's contract expires next year - when Villanueva will have only one year left and his contract becomes a valuable asset as an "expiring" contract. Why pay Villanueva his full contract to play somewhere else for 2 seasons, rather than pay him for one year to ride the bench and get something for him next year? His contract this year does not place the Pistons into the luxury tax neighborhood. This is a pretty crappy year free agent-wise, and next year should be better.

As for the "log-jam" in front of Singler, it is a matter of perception. The "SF" position may be full, as Prince, Maggette, Daye, Jarebko, Singler and Middleton are listed as SFs and rookie English is listed as a "wing" who played PF his last season in college. However, these players are generally versatile, with Prince, Jarebko and Singler being able to slide to the "4" and Prince, Maggette, Daye, Singler and English able to slide to the "2". Drummond is unlikely to command much time at the "5," and Greg Monroe and Jason Maxiel are the only real PF/C on the roster. Similarly, there isn't much depth in the back court, with only starters Rodney Stuckey and Brandon Knight to speak of (back-up PG has been "inconsistent" - to be generous). Stuckey can move to PG for stretches.

The Pistons will look a bit like Duke in coming years, a lot of athletes who can play multiple positions - and (hopefully) shoot and attack the basket.

Looks like the Pistons have bolstered the roster, signing 25 year-old Ukrainian 7' center Vyacheslav Kravtsov, who is a defensive presence, essentially what they expect Drummond to be. This shouldn't affect Singler's PT much at all except that it may keep Monroe at the 4 more and thus limit trickle down minutes. This tells me they don't expect much from Drummond right away.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120702/SPORTS0102/207020379/1127/sports0102/Pistons-sign-Ukrainian-big-man-Vyacheslav-Kravtsov-multiyear-deal

arnie
07-02-2012, 02:56 PM
The author has a gift for understatement:

The article accurately reflects what local sources reporting. As much as the fanbase hates Villanueva, it now seems unlikely he will be amnestied. The Pistons have jettisoned Ben Gordon, but won't gain the cap room until Maggette's contract expires next year - when Villanueva will have only one year left and his contract becomes a valuable asset as an "expiring" contract. Why pay Villanueva his full contract to play somewhere else for 2 seasons, rather than pay him for one year to ride the bench and get something for him next year? His contract this year does not place the Pistons into the luxury tax neighborhood. This is a pretty crappy year free agent-wise, and next year should be better.

As for the "log-jam" in front of Singler, it is a matter of perception. The "SF" position may be full, as Prince, Maggette, Daye, Jarebko, Singler and Middleton are listed as SFs and rookie English is listed as a "wing" who played PF his last season in college. However, these players are generally versatile, with Prince, Jarebko and Singler being able to slide to the "4" and Prince, Maggette, Daye, Singler and English able to slide to the "2". Drummond is unlikely to command much time at the "5," and Greg Monroe and Jason Maxiel are the only real PF/C on the roster. Similarly, there isn't much depth in the back court, with only starters Rodney Stuckey and Brandon Knight to speak of (back-up PG has been "inconsistent" - to be generous). Stuckey can move to PG for stretches.

The Pistons will look a bit like Duke in coming years, a lot of athletes who can play multiple positions - and (hopefully) shoot and attack the basket.

Looks like the Pistons have bolstered the roster, signing 25 year-old Ukrainian 7' center Vyacheslav Kravtsov, who is a defensive presence, essentially what they expect Drummond to be. This shouldn't affect Singler's PT much at all except that it may keep Monroe at the 4 more and thus limit trickle down minutes. This tells me they don't expect much from Drummond right away.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120702/SPORTS0102/207020379/1127/sports0102/Pistons-sign-Ukrainian-big-man-Vyacheslav-Kravtsov-multiyear-deal

Is it possible that Duke may have 19 in the NBA and if so, would this be a record? Don't know if Duhon/Thomas have been re-signed or if any others are free agents that might not be back:

Hill
Brand
Battier
Maggette
Duhon
Boozer
Dunleavy
Jones
Williams
Deng
Reddick
McRoberts
Henderson
Thomas
Singler
Smith
Irving
Rivers
Plumlee

flyingdutchdevil
07-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Is it possible that Duke may have 19 in the NBA and if so, would this be a record? Don't know if Duhon/Thomas have been re-signed or if any others are free agents that might not be back:

Hill
Brand
Battier
Maggette
Duhon
Boozer
Dunleavy
Jones
Williams
Deng
Reddick
McRoberts
Henderson
Thomas
Singler
Smith
Irving
Rivers
Plumlee

19? That's amazing! I think that may be a record for ACC schools, but with the influx of Kentucky players in the last 3 years, I would guess that they have the upper hand now. In the last 3 years, 15 players have been selected in the draft and I believe that all of them still play in the league:

-Wall
-Cousins
-Patterson
-Bledsoe
-Orton
-Kanter (didn't play a game, but still a student)
-Knight
-Harrellson
-Liggins
-Davis
-Kidd Gilchrist
-Jones
-Teague
-Lamb
-Miller

I'm guessing that at least 4 play in the league who aren't teenagers (Iggy and Rondo come to mind), so I assume that Kentucky has us beat. But for a school that isn't farming players to the league, 19 is incredible.

wk2109
07-02-2012, 03:57 PM
19? That's amazing! I think that may be a record for ACC schools, but with the influx of Kentucky players in the last 3 years, I would guess that they have the upper hand now. In the last 3 years, 15 players have been selected in the draft and I believe that all of them still play in the league:

-Wall
-Cousins
-Patterson
-Bledsoe
-Orton
-Kanter (didn't play a game, but still a student)
-Knight
-Harrellson
-Liggins
-Davis
-Kidd Gilchrist
-Jones
-Teague
-Lamb
-Miller

I'm guessing that at least 4 play in the league who aren't teenagers (Iggy and Rondo come to mind), so I assume that Kentucky has us beat. But for a school that isn't farming players to the league, 19 is incredible.

Iggy went to Arizona, but it looks like it's 23 UK players in the NBA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Wildcats_men%27s_basketball#Wildcats_in_t he_NBA

flyingdutchdevil
07-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Iggy went to Arizona, but it looks like it's 23 UK players in the NBA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Wildcats_men%27s_basketball#Wildcats_in_t he_NBA

How the hell did I mix up Iggy and Tayshaun Prince? Thanks for the clarification.

DukieInBrasil
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Hill
Brand
Battier
Maggette
Duhon
Boozer
Dunleavy
Jones
Williams
Deng
Reddick
McRoberts
Henderson
Thomas
Singler
Smith
Irving
Rivers
Plumlee

There's always the possibility that Shav will turn up somewhere,he's done it before and has stayed active playing professional ball. I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but both Demarcus Nelson and Scheyer may somehow or another get a cup of tea in the League next year as well. Demarcus has already played in the league some, and as LT showed, there's always a chance for high-Bball IQ hardworking players....

Neals384
07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
The Medford Mail Tribune is reporting today that Singler's contract is 3 years, $3.1 million guaranteed.
The article has more on Kyle's volunteer activities with local non-profit Kids Unlimited. And the biggest news of all: he got a haircut.:)

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120725/SPORTS/207250315

blazindw
07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Beyond happy at that! Love that he's on my Pistons...we certainly need him!

flyingdutchdevil
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
The Medford Mail Tribune is reporting today that Singler's contract is 3 years, $3.1 million guaranteed.
The article has more on Kyle's volunteer activities with local non-profit Kids Unlimited. And the biggest news of all: he got a haircut.:)

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120725/SPORTS/207250315

$3.1 million for 3 years? $1.07 million a year? For Kyle Singler? Ummmm.... can someone call the FBI? The Pistons just stole the deal of the century. Austin Daye is going to be making $3 million next year, and I'm willing to bet that Singler plays more minutes than Daye.

NBA = most nonsensical payroll in professional sports

blazindw
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
$3.1 million for 3 years? $1.07 million a year? For Kyle Singler? Ummmm.... can someone call the FBI? The Pistons just stole the deal of the century. Austin Daye is going to be making $3 million next year, and I'm willing to bet that Singler plays more minutes than Daye.

Daye was a lottery pick of the Pistons. Kyle was drafted in the 2nd round (though one of the first couple picks). That's how contracts work in the NBA.

CDu
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
There's always the possibility that Shav will turn up somewhere,he's done it before and has stayed active playing professional ball. I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but both Demarcus Nelson and Scheyer may somehow or another get a cup of tea in the League next year as well. Demarcus has already played in the league some, and as LT showed, there's always a chance for high-Bball IQ hardworking players....

I don't think there's even a remote chance that Nelson makes a roster. He hasn't played in the NBA in almost 4 years, and even then he only played a few weeks with Golden State. Same for Randolph. He hasn't played in the NBA in two years, and aside from his rookie year he hasn't played more than two weeks' worth of games in a season since. I think it's highly unlikely that he makes it.

As for Scheyer, I didn't think he was going to make it when he came out. His cleverness probably won't translate. It's the one miss I can remember Jumbo (who was steadfast in confidence Scheyer would make it in the NBA) had regarding a Dukie. Scheyer was pretty good at a lot of things, but not good enough at any one thing to make it in spite of his athleticism. The eye injury didn't help either, and he's been a backup in Israel last year and just a solid NBDL guy in 2011.

CDu
07-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Set salary structure for draft picks. I'd be willing to bet that Daye's next contract is for less than Singler's.

MIKESJ73
07-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Lance Thomas has a 3 year deal in place for $2.79 million. My recollection is that it becomes guarenteed if he is not cut by a certain date (sometime this August). He played very well in summer league and was clearly the leader and best player on the team. His chances of making the roster should be very good.

Shav put together a couple of decent summer league games (two double-doubles) for Washington. He is more than likely not going to make the team, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he was signed...

Tsetse0510
07-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Enes Kanter is listed as one of the NBA players for Kentucky. If that's the case we can claim Shaun Livingston.

CDu
07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Enes Kanter is listed as one of the NBA players for Kentucky. If that's the case we can claim Shaun Livingston.

Not exactly. Kanter actually enrolled at UK for a year. He would have played there, too, had he not been ruled ineligible.

COYS
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Not exactly. Kanter actually enrolled at UK for a year. He would have played there, too, had he not been ruled ineligible.

I agree. He is a worthy of being counted as a UK player in the NBA. Livingston never set foot on Duke's campus as a student. For comparison's sake, if Greg Paulus had somehow made an NFL roster, we would absolutely have counted him as a Dukie in the NFL.

jimsumner
07-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I agree. He is a worthy of being counted as a UK player in the NBA. Livingston never set foot on Duke's campus as a student. For comparison's sake, if Greg Paulus had somehow made an NFL roster, we would absolutely have counted him as a Dukie in the NFL.

Really? Do we count Elliott Williams? Did we count Ben Watson? If Eric Boateng makes an NBA team, would we count him?

Methinks not.

juise
07-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Really? Do we count Elliott Williams? Did we count Ben Watson? If Eric Boateng makes an NBA team, would we count him?

Methinks not.

Agreed. In those cases, I would say that the listing options should be ranked:
(1) The school each player transferred to
(2) Duke

I would say all of those are more legitimate than Kanter being listed as a Kentucky player. In his case, I would go:
(1) None (Turkey)
(2) UK

In both cases, listing only option #2 seems incorrect.

Reilly
07-26-2012, 08:52 PM

Methinks not.

Methinks yes. It depends on how the list is labeled, of course. Make the list descriptive enough, and err on the side of inclusiveness.

In the Duke football media guide, they should list "Former Duke players who played in the NFL" and include Ben Watson, as he is, indeed, a former Duke player who played in the NFL. He caught a TD in a victory at UVa, if I'm recalling correctly.

On page 115 of the media guide, Watson is listed as a former Duke player.
On page 129 of the media guide, Watson is not listed on the all-time NFL roster of Duke players.

Ben Patrick is listed on the all-time NFL roster of Duke players, but did not finish his college career at Duke.

I similarly would count Elliott Williams and Eric Boateng on a list of former Duke players who made the NBA, should that be true. Nothing wrong with completeness. Add an asterisk, even, and note where else they played.

At sports-reference.com, Ben Watson is listed with both Duke and Georgia as his college, as he went to both:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsBe00.htm

subzero02
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Hill
Brand
Battier
Maggette
Duhon
Boozer
Dunleavy
Jones
Williams
Deng
Reddick
McRoberts
Henderson
Thomas
Singler
Smith
Irving
Rivers
Plumlee

It's one thing for other fan bases to misspell his name but we should make the effort to spell Redick's name correctly.

jimsumner
07-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Methinks yes. It depends on how the list is labeled, of course. Make the list descriptive enough, and err on the side of inclusiveness.

In the Duke football media guide, they should list "Former Duke players who played in the NFL" and include Ben Watson, as he is, indeed, a former Duke player who played in the NFL. He caught a TD in a victory at UVa, if I'm recalling correctly.

On page 115 of the media guide, Watson is listed as a former Duke player.
On page 129 of the media guide, Watson is not listed on the all-time NFL roster of Duke players in the media guide.

Ben Patrick is listed on the all-time NFL roster of Duke players, but did not finish his college career at Duke.

I similarly would count Elliott Williams and Eric Boateng on a list of former Duke players who made the NBA, should that be true. Nothing wrong with completeness. Add an asterisk, even, and note where else they played.

At sports-reference.com, Ben Watson is listed with both Duke and Georgia as his college, as he went to both:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsBe00.htm

The Duke football media guide lists Ben Patrick as a former Duke player in the NFL but not Ben Watson. The distinction may be that Patrick played as a grad student at Delaware.

NFL.com lists Delaware as Patrick's school.

Of course Watson is listed as a former Duke player. No one is disputing that. All the players who transferred away from Duke are listed as former players in the media guide.

The Duke basketball media guide does not count Elliott Williams in its list of former Duke players who have played in the NBA. The official NBA website nba.com lists Williams as a Memphis player, as does the Portland Trailblazers website.

As a general rule, a professional player's alma mater is considered to be the last school he/she played at.

UrinalCake
07-26-2012, 11:18 PM
When claiming alumni, I look at it as "did the school contribute to the player's development in becoming an NBA player?" Because the real reason I care about how many alumni Duke has in the NBA points to recruiting, and a high school player saying "I want to go to Duke so that they can make me into an NBA player just like those other 19 guys." Obviously Duke contributed nothing towards Shaun Livingston's development, so we don't count him. Kentucky contributed very little towards Kanter. He did practice with the team (after they hired him as an "assistant coach;" how the NCAA allowed that is beyond me, but that's for another discussion). And I supposed you could argue that Kentucky's reputation helped him because he was recruited by the school and got some publicity, which may have helped his draft status. But I'm in the boat of saying that UK can't count him.

With transfers it gets tricky. If a guy plays at Duke for two years, then transfers somewhere and plays for a year, then makes it in the NBA, then you could say that Duke had a hand in getting him there. Arguably more so than in the case of a one-and-done player who probably would have been drafted straight out of high school. So I kind of think we should get to count guys like Elliot Williams or the theoretical NBA Boeteng. On the other hand, if they transferred away from Duke, then they probably weren't playing much here, so the likelihood that they developed much under our watch is slim (Williams would be an exception since he transferred for other reasons).

As a side note, the medical staff at Duke is absolutely part of what I consider "getting a player to the NBA" and I'm surprised it isn't brought up more as a recruiting pitch. If Kyrie had gone to almost any other school, he probably wouldn't have come back that season and therefore would not have left for the NBA. Similarly, if Elton Brand had been at any other school in the country, he would have lost his entire sophomore year. I don't mean this as an exagerration, they were doing an experimental treatment procedure at the Duke hospital that wasn't being done anywhere else in the world, which turned out to be what healed him up faster that expected.

blazindw
07-26-2012, 11:44 PM
If a player played even one second at Duke, he's a Duke player in my book...doesn't matter what school they say he's from on the NBA roster. :)

Reilly
07-26-2012, 11:54 PM
The Duke football media guide lists Ben Patrick as a former Duke player in the NFL but not Ben Watson. The distinction may be that Patrick played as a grad student at Delaware.

NFL.com lists Delaware as Patrick's school.

Of course Watson is listed as a former Duke player. No one is disputing that. All the players who transferred away from Duke are listed as former players in the media guide.

The Duke basketball media guide does not count Elliott Williams in its list of former Duke players who have played in the NBA. The official NBA website nba.com lists Williams as a Memphis player, as does the Portland Trailblazers website.

As a general rule, a professional player's alma mater is considered to be the last school he/she played at.

It would be interesting to know why the two Bens are treated differently in the media guide. My point is that although there may be a reason, it doesn't strike me as very good one, no matter what it is. When I'm looking at the media guide, I want completeness. I want to know that Ben Watson the NFL player played at Duke -- it's a neat factoid -- and I want to know it by looking at the list of all-time NFL players.

I'm well aware that a pro's alma mater is often considered the last school ... so Ben Patrick's a Blue Hen. And it's fine for nba.com and the Trailblazers to do what they want to do; I want Duke sports media to accurately and comprehensively convey what's transpired in Durham, and I want to count as our own those who were at one time our own, even if not forever. I like completeness -- like what sports-reference.com has done, although even that site could be improved (I'd like to see some of the 1 or 2-year Oak Hill players listed with their earlier high schools, as well).

UrinalCake
07-27-2012, 12:15 AM
If a player played even one second at Duke, he's a Duke player in my book...doesn't matter what school they say he's from on the NBA roster. :)

Only one second? Then I guess you count Kyrie Irving.

Only kidding of course. Though sometimes that's how it feels :(

COYS
07-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Methinks not.

I'm confused, Jim. Are you saying you wouldn't count Paulus as a former Dukie playing in the NFL? I would, even if we didn't call him a former Duke football player. He would still count as an alumni playing in the league (he got his undergraduate degree from Duke).

Williams and Boateng transferred and, as is the standard practice, are listed as alumni of the last school they attended. Kanter never went to another school, practiced with UK, and then made it to the NBA. No, he is not a former UK basketball player playing in the NBA but he IS a UK alumnus playing in the NBA. I see this as no different than a Duke alumnus/a who goes on to become a CEO of a company, a doctor, or a lawyer or any other profession. They are a Dukie plying their trade in their profession.

I realize that Kanter didn't graduate from UK, but for basketball, that has never been an issue for counting someone as a former member of •name of university/college•.

flyingdutchdevil
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm confused, Jim. Are you saying you wouldn't count Paulus as a former Dukie playing in the NFL? I would, even if we didn't call him a former Duke football player. He would still count as an alumni playing in the league (he got his undergraduate degree from Duke).

Williams and Boateng transferred and, as is the standard practice, are listed as alumni of the last school they attended. Kanter never went to another school, practiced with UK, and then made it to the NBA. No, he is not a former UK basketball player playing in the NBA but he IS a UK alumnus playing in the NBA. I see this as no different than a Duke alumnus/a who goes on to become a CEO of a company, a doctor, or a lawyer or any other profession. They are a Dukie plying their trade in their profession.

I realize that Kanter didn't graduate from UK, but for basketball, that has never been an issue for counting someone as a former member of •name of university/college•.

Under your rules, Paulus would be considered a Syracuse alum, no? Kanter is an interesting situation, but I would consider him a UK player, even if he never played their. After all, a student-athlete is still a student.

Reilly
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM

As for counting alumni generally, graduating is not even required. Wasn't this discussed with respect to some of Duke's early entrants ... maybe there was an ad or story in Duke Magazine about these Duke "alumni" and somebody questioned the "alumni" designation for a non-graduate, but then the alumni affairs office responded that they had a very low bar for counting someone as an alum (something like a semester or two, as I recall) ...

* I just checked the Duke alumni association database. Ben Watson is listed. So, he's in the list of Duke alumni maintained by the alumni association, he's a former player at Duke and listed as such in the media guide, he played in the NFL, yet not listed on the all-time Duke NFL roster. The response I got from the fb media guide associate editor was that Patrick graduated from Duke and played the majority of his career at Duke, whereas Watson didn't. The list could be re-named along those lines ("Duke graduates or players who played the majority of their college career at Duke and who played in the NFL"). Or, call the list "Former Duke players who played in the NFL" ... and include Ben Watson.

sagegrouse
07-27-2012, 10:12 AM
As for counting alumni generally, graduating is not even required. Wasn't this discussed with respect to some of Duke's early entrants ... maybe there was an ad or story in Duke Magazine about these Duke "alumni" and somebody questioned the "alumni" designation for a non-graduate, but then the alumni affairs office responded that they had a very low bar for counting someone as an alum (something like a semester or two, as I recall) ...

* I just checked the Duke alumni association database. Ben Watson is listed. So, he's in the list of Duke alumni maintained by the alumni association, he's a former player at Duke and listed as such in the media guide, he played in the NFL, yet not listed on the all-time Duke NFL roster. The response I got from the fb media guide associate editor was that Patrick graduated from Duke and played the majority of his career at Duke, whereas Watson didn't. The list could be re-named along those lines ("Duke graduates or players who played the majority of their college career at Duke and who played in the NFL"). Or, call the list "Former Duke players who played in the NFL" ... and include Ben Watson.

In the Lone Star State, universities have finessed the issue by using the term "Exes." As in, Texas Exes or Aggie Exes. Or, as in "All my Exes Live in Texas." I mean, if you drive through campus in College Station on FM 60, someone will declare you an "Aggie Ex."

sage

Reilly
07-27-2012, 10:37 AM
In the Lone Star State, universities have finessed the issue by using the term "Exes." As in, Texas Exes or Aggie Exes. Or, as in "All my Exes Live in Texas." I mean, if you drive through campus in College Station on FM 60, someone will declare you an "Aggie Ex."

sage

My Webster's defines alumnus as one who attended or graduated; same for alumna. So, that's the old dictionary definition. Wonder if more people understand it to mean solely a graduate?

COYS
07-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Under your rules, Paulus would be considered a Syracuse alum, no? Kanter is an interesting situation, but I would consider him a UK player, even if he never played their. After all, a student-athlete is still a student.

He would actually be considered both. He legitimately completed his eligibility at Duke and then got a masters at Syracuse. He would be a Duke player in the NFL while being a Syracuse football player in the NFL. It'd be a very unique situation, but I think it's actually more ambiguous than Kanter's situation. He clearly is an alumnus of UK, even if he never played basketball there.

COYS
07-27-2012, 02:05 PM

I consider it to mean that one attended a school for any length of time. I wasn't clear enough in my post. Mybad.

Indoor66
07-27-2012, 05:57 PM
I think my head will explode over this argument.

ChicagoCrazy84
07-27-2012, 07:44 PM

Mine just did..

MChambers
07-27-2012, 08:44 PM
At the risk of getting this thread back on track, I think everyone will agree that Duke should count Kyle as an alum!