PDA

View Full Version : Miles Plumlee selected 26th by Indiana

hurleyfor3
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Back home again in Indiana. Comments here.

Newton_14
06-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Congrats to Miles Plumlee!!

This is awesome! Way to go big fella.

Use this thread to celebrate and discuss..

throatybeard
06-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Please place discussion of Miles' new situation in this thread.

DukieInBrasil
06-28-2012, 10:07 PM
My roommate (UNC grad) can't believe Miles went no. 26, saying "nobody thought he was gonna go first round". Nobody 'cept lotsa folks on this board.
Way to go Miles!

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-28-2012, 10:08 PM
YES!!! So happy for him. There were more than a few doubters here... but now we know. Yes!

Kedsy
06-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Congrats to Miles Plumlee!!

This is awesome! Way to go big fella.

Use this thread to celebrate and discuss..

Fabulous. It's funny, we talked at the time about how many NBA players were on that 2010 team, and now it'll be at least 5, and who knows what'll happen with Ryan and maybe even Andre.

Dukehky
06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Wow, i mean wow. Congrats. Just goes to show the NBA wants more what they think they can make you than what you've shown in college. Bad for kids like Scheyer, better for guys like Miles. Just the way it goes. That's awesome, hope he has a great career. I think he's going to be an extremely serviceable back-up big man in this league. Hopefully he owns Hansbrough in practice and steals all his PT.

Miles to the Pacers I think indicates that the Pacers are doing whatever they can to fill seats, and since they're not going to do that with anybody they can draft at 26 talent-wise, they may as well try and get the Indiana thing going for them to help with attendance because they were in the bottom five in the league in attendance all year and they had the 5th best record in basketball. Gotta try different things I guess.

pamtar
06-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Duke can't develop big men.

Native
06-28-2012, 10:14 PM
As noted over yonder on TDD, Miles has gone from 87th in the RSCI to the 26th pick in the NBA draft.

Who said Duke can't develop big men?

Huge congrats to Miles - a testament to hard work and perseverance.

elvis14
06-28-2012, 10:14 PM
This is my favorite thread in a long time. So happy that Miles worked his way into the first round. I believe this gives K more 1st rounders than Deano too!

OZZIE4DUKE
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Congrats to Miles! Gotta wonder if the folks in the Miami war room were saying "Damn! Can't believe they stole him from us!" :cool:

OldSchool
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
My roommate (UNC grad) can't believe Miles went no. 26, saying "nobody thought he was gonna go first round". Nobody 'cept lotsa folks on this board.
Way to go Miles!

Actually, last August we debated whether Miles was likely to be drafted, maybe even sneak into the first round, and folks thought I was crazy or suggested I was an ignorant messageboard fan who was looking through blue glasses when I suggested he had the skill set that would likely get him drafted!! LOL. How things change!

link from last August debate on Miles' NBA chances (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?26026-Some-notes-on-K-s-press-conference-8-31-11/page3)

Go get 'em Miles in the NBA!

OldSchool
06-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Fabulous. It's funny, we talked at the time about how many NBA players were on that 2010 team, and now it'll be at least 5, and who knows what'll happen with Ryan and maybe even Andre.

I look at Ryan Kelly and see Ryan Anderson if he fulfills his potential. Ryan had a very good summer last year in terms of getting stronger and hopefully his foot setback won't prevent him from making similar gains this summer.

Dukehky
06-28-2012, 10:22 PM
As noted over yonder on TDD, Miles has gone from 87th in the RSCI to the 26th pick in the NBA draft.

Who said Duke can't develop big men?

Huge congrats to Miles - a testament to hard work and perseverance.

While I agree that the myth that Duke can't develop big men is just that, a myth. Miles' skills aren't what got him drafted this high. Miles is a FREAK athletically and that's what people didn't really see coming into the draft, but they realized really soon. This is much more a testament to Duke's strength coaching than the big-man coaches. He got absolutely jacked and added to his vert. That's what got him drafted.

Again, I always thought Miles' skills were a little underrated, and he didn't get the chance to showcase them in part because of the offense and in part because he thinks to much, like Bilas said.

It's like I said above, the NBA is far more interested in what they can hopefully turn you into based on your god-given abilities rather than your actual basketball level skill, especially for bigs. For guards taken at this point it is more about what you are able to bring to a team right now, but for bigs they are drafted on risk/reward. With a kid like Miles, you know you are getting a hard worker whose athletic ceiling is ridiculous, who don't have the stats that are that great.

Miles is a great rebounder, but that's far more a tribute to his athleticism than positioning and stuff like that, but rebounding translates REALLY well to the NBA.

Newton_14
06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Actually, last August we debated whether Miles was likely to be drafted, maybe even sneak into the first round, and folks thought I was crazy or suggested I was an ignorant messageboard fan who was looking through blue glasses when I suggested he had the skill set that would likely get him drafted!! LOL. How things change!

link from last August debate on Miles' NBA chances (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?26026-Some-notes-on-K-s-press-conference-8-31-11/page3)

HA. I won't pick on Mr Sumner, who did give Miles a fighting chance, but Wheat has some crow to eat. Those "light years" between Zeller and Miles ended up being 9 picks with both going in the first round outside of the lottery! Love it!

NM Duke Fan
06-28-2012, 10:33 PM
I am so happy for Miles and very optimistic that he will become a solid NBA player in due time! Interesting that an article I had linked in the other Miles thread many days ago suggested that the Pacers were a good fit, and that they might seriously consider him at 26. Sometimes those prediction type articles have some decent analysis put into them!

Des Esseintes
06-28-2012, 10:34 PM
While I agree that the myth that Duke can't develop big men is just that, a myth. Miles' skills aren't what got him drafted this high. Miles is a FREAK athletically and that's what people didn't really see coming into the draft, but they realized really soon. This is much more a testament to Duke's strength coaching than the big-man coaches. He got absolutely jacked and added to his vert. That's what got him drafted.

Again, I always thought Miles' skills were a little underrated, and he didn't get the chance to showcase them in part because of the offense and in part because he thinks to much, like Bilas said.

It's like I said above, the NBA is far more interested in what they can hopefully turn you into based on your god-given abilities rather than your actual basketball level skill, especially for bigs. For guards taken at this point it is more about what you are able to bring to a team right now, but for bigs they are drafted on risk/reward. With a kid like Miles, you know you are getting a hard worker whose athletic ceiling is ridiculous, who don't have the stats that are that great.

Miles is a great rebounder, but that's far more a tribute to his athleticism than positioning and stuff like that, but rebounding translates REALLY well to the NBA.

Developing a player's body is a big part of developing him as a player. Have you taken a gander at what Thomas Robinson looked like as an incoming freshman? Moreover, it is silly to say that Miles's skills did not develop over his career. If he were getting by on pure athleticism as you suggest, how do we explain the decline in his foul rate over four seasons? The answer is that he became a smarter, more skilled defender, and that allowed him to foul less and stay on the court more. He also developed a 17-foot jumper that will stand him in good stead at the next level. Those are skills. As is rebounding, even though athleticism obviously helps.

It's true, of course, that Miles's post moves never became advanced. But come on. If Miles the super-mutant athlete had developed a silky post game in college, Indiana wouldn't have had the chance to take him at 25. He'd have gone top 10. Drafting at 25, you don't get complete players, certainly not complete centers. You get rotation guys, who can one or two things very well. Miles can run the break, rebound, and play D. That's enough. It's not about taking out a lottery ticket for what he might someday become.

UrinalCake
06-28-2012, 10:36 PM
This is much more a testament to Duke's strength coaching than the big-man coaches. He got absolutely jacked and added to his vert. That's what got him drafted.

That's definitely a big part of it, and there's no way he'd have gotten drafted if he'd put up, say, 34 inches on the vert instead of 41. But I understand he also did well in the individual drills and 5-on-5 scrimmages at the combine and predraft camps. I'd have to imagine his individual workouts with the Pacers and other teams showed them a lot too. And it wouldn't be hard for the Duke coaching staff to put together a highlight reel of amazing plays from his time with us.

Check out this quote from ESPN's recruiting profile of him coming out of high school back in 2007:

A rail thin, long perimeter 4 man. Miles must add strength to his lanky body. He has a good touch but wants to stay on the perimeter offensively.

link (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/44485/miles-plumlee)

AtlBluRew
06-28-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm really proud of Miles and enjoyed watching him develop over the last 4 years. Thank you, Miles!

SmartDevil
06-28-2012, 11:18 PM
What Happy News this is !!! Thanks for all you contributed to the Devils, Miles, and best of luck in the NBA !

throatybeard
06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
HA. I won't pick on Mr Sumner, who did give Miles a fighting chance, but Wheat has some crow to eat. Those "light years" between Zeller and Miles ended up being 9 picks with both going in the first round outside of the lottery! Love it!

If the past is a guide, he'll mysteriously be on a series of fishing trips until about a week before the game the next time UNC is favored over Duke.

FerryFor50
06-28-2012, 11:21 PM
How hilarious would it be if Miles ends up being a better pro than Hansbrough and Psycho T rides the pine all season?

subzero02
06-28-2012, 11:23 PM
I want to read a quote from Marshall... His smile is probably blinding right now

JamminJoe
06-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Way to go, Miles!!! I love K and Duke, but if K could not get more production out of a 1st rounder big man, well...

Billy Dat
06-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Miles getting that GUARANTEED FIRST ROUND $$$$$!

Amazing...look at the players who got picked after him...Draymond Green, etc.

This is the most unlikely Duke first rounder since Dahntay, and that was only mildly surprising.

Bottom line - NBA Body, elite athleticism and 4 years of K goes a long way.

zoroaster
06-29-2012, 12:14 AM
And Jared Sullinger (albeit with injuries) went only 5 spots ahead of him, something else that wouldn't have been predicted a year ago.

SeattleIrish
06-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Mad-crazy props to Miles:D

Really enjoyed watching him at Duke and very happy to see him work hard enough to be a first rounder.

s.i.

jacone21
06-29-2012, 12:44 AM
26th pick from last year made over $1000000 this past season. Not too shabby, Miles! Now, go make the most of the incredible opportunity you've been given.

hq2
06-29-2012, 12:56 AM
It's true, of course, that Miles's post moves never became advanced. But come on. If Miles the super-mutant athlete had developed a silky post game in college, Indiana wouldn't have had the chance to take him at 25. He'd have gone top 10. Drafting at 25, you don't get complete players, certainly not complete centers. You get rotation guys, who can one or two things very well. Miles can run the break, rebound, and play D. That's enough. It's not about taking out a lottery ticket for what he might someday become.

Well, Indiana is probably as good a fit for him as anywhere. They do like to bang and run, and Miles can do that. I think he will fit into their
rotation pretty well. Maybe he plays some, maybe he spends some time in the D league improving. He has similar skills to McBobs, who played
his best ball with the Pacers, although a little better rebounder, not as good a passer. We'll see.

Edouble
06-29-2012, 01:11 AM

Tonight belongs to you, sir. Sumner and Wheat get some crow sandwiches.

Olympic Fan
06-29-2012, 01:16 AM

Well, to be perfectly accurate, getting drafted is not quite the same as playing in the NBA. As of this moment, just two members of the 2010 team have played in the NBA -- Nolan and Lance.

Kyle and Jon still have a chance (in Kyle's cse, a VERY good chance) ... Zoubek is the only possibility who retired before making it.

Now, I think Miles - because he gets guaranteed two-year money -- is almost certain to make it in the league barring a catastrophic injury this summer.

I think most people expect Mason to make it in next year's draft ... Ryan has a chance and even Andre has an outstide chance if he returns in 2013-14 and plays well..

That means the current total of two NBA players off the 2010 team could actually finish between 6-8 (Nolan, Lance, Miles, Kyle, Jon, Mason and maybe Ryan and/or Andre). And that doesn't count Seth, who practiced with the 2010 team all year -- even if he didn't play in any game.

As for Miles ... I congrtulate him. It's good to see that commitment and hard work rewarded.

I also have a prediction -- both his brothers will end up being picked higher than he was.

gwlaw99
06-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Most Pacers forums are not happy with the pick. I hope Miles proves them wrong!

Kedsy
06-29-2012, 02:22 AM
Well, to be perfectly accurate, getting drafted is not quite the same as playing in the NBA. As of this moment, just two members of the 2010 team have played in the NBA -- Nolan and Lance.

Yes, of course. But Miles is guaranteed a contract, so he'll play, at least a little. Mason will also go first round, absent disaster, and Kyle has a very, very good chance tot play in the League. That's five. I assume Jon is beyond a long shot, but Ryan and even Andre appear to have a realistic shot to play at least a little bit in the NBA, and 6 or 7 NBA players is not only a whole lot, but is also a whole lot more than most people thought at the time (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?17940-Future-Pros), especially considering that Jon and Z didn't make it (mostly due to injuries).

Bob Green
06-29-2012, 05:47 AM
I also have a prediction -- both his brothers will end up being picked higher than he was.

If your prediction comes true, that is great news for the Plumlee Family and great news for Duke basketball. Miles being selected in the 1st Round makes me very happy. He worked hard and his perseverance paid dividends.

Congratulations, Miles!

COCO
06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
I am only disappointed that we missed David Stern announcing it as we turned off the tube after the Celtics made their picks.

I met Miles one day at brunch. My friends and I were so impressed at how personable, polite, and attractive he was in person. Even f the Pacers don't find much playing time for him they should get him out in the community as he will be an excellent image builder for the team.

Btw, this pick salved a bit some of the sting from the year Chris Carawell dropped so low in the draft. To this day I haven't gotten over how upsetting that was.

CameronBornAndBred
06-29-2012, 08:02 AM
This is funny. Not only does Fox Sports label the Pacers as "losers" for picking Miles, but they also have a picture of Mason. Both are laughable.
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/pages/photogallery?gid=22566&gf=aggregate (He's 4th of 10 photos)

Congrats Miles, looking forward to you proving lots of people wrong. (Except for the Pacers!)

OldSchool
06-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Tonight belongs to you, sir. Sumner and Wheat get some crow sandwiches.

I'm willing to graciously share at least a small part of the glory with Miles...

Norman Pfyster
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Miles apparently said he was "underutilized" at Duke, where big men only have to set screens, play defense and rebound [none of which he will have to do in the pros].

gumbomoop
06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Although I had heard the speculation that Miles was moving up to a possible 1st-rd pick, I admit I'm a little surprised. But because I don't follow the NBA, I'm too ignorant to make even educated guesses about the draft. I've little idea why guys like Tu Holloway, Jordan Taylor, William Buford, and Drew Gordon went undrafted. Head cases? Too slow? No single outstanding skill? Huh?

As for Miles, however, here's what most interests - as opposed to surprises - me. Miles seems to have shown lots of skills in the draft combine or tryouts, or whatever they're called. Thus, rather than having shown his skills consistently over his four years at Duke, he seems to have moved into the 1st rd on what might fairly be called his potential. Potential, based on the skills he has recently shown to the experts, much more than on performance and production during his four years in college.

If that's an accurate rendering of the basis on which Miles's stock rose quite rapidly - and maybe it's not accurate, so correct me - then Miles would seem to be an unusual case of a player chosen on potential at the end of a full college career, as opposed to the usual case of players chosen on potential after, say, their frosh year.

Isn't it a commonplace that the NBA draft "is all about potential"? But isn't it equally a commonplace that - approximately something like this - "Seniors don't get drafted on potential. If they've stayed in school all the way, they have to have proven they've got talent. The 'potential bus' has long since passed them by."

Maybe another way to get at this is for me to ask: are there some, lots, or almost no examples similar to Miles? Can someone name a few similar cases?

weezie
06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Very proud of our Miles! Hard worker in the classroom and on the court.

Larry Bird knows what he's doing.

Wheat/"/"/"
06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
If the past is a guide, he'll mysteriously be on a series of fishing trips until about a week before the game the next time UNC is favored over Duke.

The real myth around here is that Wheat/"/"/" is never around when you want to be smug. I'm here for you.

Miles is a big exceptional athlete, was when he signed with Duke, and his potential is carrying him thru to the next level.

He seems like a good guy and I'm sure Duke and coach K were a big part of his development as a person, and the program should take credit for helping him develop his body and giving him a quality education.

If you guys want to think it was coaching him as post player that got him into the NBA first round, have at it.

Note: Congrats to Miles for making it, that's a great accomplishment.

Wheat/"/"/"
06-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Now Newton_14...are you a politician? That's a nice sound bite use of my "light years" quote...to heck with the context it was used when we were discussing their offensive games, right?

orrnot
06-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Maybe another way to get at this is for me to ask: are there some, lots, or almost no examples similar to Miles? Can someone name a few similar cases?

The 1987 NBA draft included two Blue Devils (Tommy Amaker, 3rd round; Marty Nessley, 6th round). Guess who was given a chance on an actual NBA roster the following season?

My thinking is the decision was based on the fact that Marty did not foul.

Newton_14
06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Now Newton_14...are you a politician? That's a nice sound bite use of my "light years" quote...to heck with the context it was used when we were discussing their offensive games, right?

Learned my politician skills from you Wheat.....:cool:

Similar to comparing Larry Drew to Scheyer maybe? :) who needs context?

JTH
06-29-2012, 10:32 AM

I think Wheat has a point here. If you show the entire comment, and not just one sound bite taken out of context.........it was much worse.

9-03-11

"Have to jump in this cat fight here and disagree. I doubt anyone will be discussing similarities of Zeller/Miles game and the NBA. The difference is Tyler Zeller is light years ahead of Miles in his offensive abilities, and that will get Zeller in the first round and Miles undrafted.

The only thing to watch with Duke guards is how they play together, there's more than enough talent."

Congrats to Miles and Zeller. I like them both, but only the dark shade of blue.;)

DevilWearsPrada
06-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Congratulations to Miles and being picked in the 1st round of the NBA!!! It is so amazing and deserving to be an NBA player. Miles has been consistent and persistent in conditioning and strengthening his body. He is so athletic and can develop his skill set even more. This young man is LIVING THE DREAM! All of his years of practice and more practice and in the gym, and sacrificing personal time to Basketball.

I know the Plumlees are so proud of their son and brother. Miles will always be a National Champion on the 2010 Duke Mens Basketball team. And now, he has the opportunity to be on a NBA team and prove himself worthy of play time! I know this fires up Mason and Marshall, to repeat Miles success!

Job well done Miles, and to your all of coaches in school and at Duke, and the sacrifices your family made..... Go LIVE YOUR DREAM!!! You made it! :)

Wheat/"/"/"
06-29-2012, 10:55 AM
"Have to jump in this cat fight here and disagree. I doubt anyone will be discussing similarities of Zeller/Miles game and the NBA. The difference is Tyler Zeller is light years ahead of Miles in his offensive abilities, and that will get Zeller in the first round and Miles undrafted.

The only thing to watch with Duke guards is how they play together, there's more than enough talent."

Congrats to Miles and Zeller. I like them both, but only the dark shade of blue.;)

I stand corrected on the belief that Miles would go undrafted at the time. I failed to accurately judge the NBA's love affair with potential over substance.

Obviously, the Indiana GM and staff thinks they can do more with Miles than Duke did and I don't disagree with that.

DukeFanSince1990
06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Hey I missed it, who accepted the hat for Miles?

CDu
06-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Obviously, the Indiana GM and staff thinks they can do more with Miles than Duke did and I don't disagree with that.

Meh. I'll take Coach K's 4 NCAA titles and countless ACC titles, and 900+ wins as proof he knows what to do with college players.

Miles will fill a role off the bench as a rebounder, screen setter, and defender for Indiana. Just like he did at Duke. Kudos to Coach K for finding the role that fit Miles' skillset. And kudos to Miles for buying into the team concept at an early age. He'll be a quality role player in the NBA.

Kedsy
06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I'll take Coach K's 4 NCAA titles and countless ACC titles, and 900+ wins as proof he knows what to do with college players.

Actually, I'm sure we could count them, if we really wanted to. ;) Wheat might not enjoy that, although I suppose in Tar Heel land ACC titles don't matter, except when they win them.

CDu
06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Actually, I'm sure we could count them, if we really wanted to. ;) Wheat might not enjoy that, although I suppose in Tar Heel land ACC titles don't matter, except when they win them.

Yeah, I was just too lazy to count that high. :cool:

Chicago 1995
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I stand corrected on the belief that Miles would go undrafted at the time. I failed to accurately judge the NBA's love affair with potential over substance.

I guess that explains as well why Barnes, Henson and Zellar all slid compared to last year?

hq2
06-29-2012, 11:40 AM

Has anyone ever noticed that Bird has this penchant for obtaining 6-9, 6-10 white boys? Wonder why? Would
he know anyone like that?

MChambers
06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Guess the same is true for Golden State, as to Barnes. Good luck with that.

hurleyfor3
06-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Actually, I'm sure we could count them, if we really wanted to. ;)

Last time I checked, he had aleph-null of them.

Bluedog
06-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Miles apparently said he was "underutilized" at Duke, where big men only have to set screens, play defense and rebound [none of which he will have to do in the pros].

I believe you're referring to the question about why his numbers were relatively meager compared to others. He didn't say he was "underutilized" unless I'm missing an interview. Here's the video and full context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22imii95DbA

Question from DraftExpress: "Seems like you're one of the fastest risers in this draft ... how have you been able to do that?"

Miles: "I'm just going out, playing my game, being aggressive, showing my athleticism. Doing things I know I can do, but people may not have seen from me thus far."

Question from DraftExpress: "Looking at your production over the last four years, it doesn't really stand out compared to some of the other guys that are projected as first rounders. What's the reason for that?"

Miles: "Like I said earlier...I'm not going to sit around and look at my situation and what might be holding me back or might not. I loved where I was playing, who I was playing with and who I was playing for. I knew my role and I just went out there and played as hard as I could. But that doesn't mean that there are things I've been working on my entire life that I can show on top of that, and that's what this draft process is about."

Congrats Miles! Well deserved and I'm hoping he has a long successful NBA career. Still, it is pretty surprising that Miles ended up being a higher pick than Kyle, but I guess that's how the draft sometimes works out as they look more at athleticism and potential.

JTH
06-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Well, I doubt they think they can do more than win a national championship. Unless, maybe two...three... Maybe, but I doubt it.

Being a first round pick is impressive and I respect Miles an awful lot, but expecting to get them more than one championship out of him might be asking a bit much. :)

rhcpflea99
06-29-2012, 01:06 PM

Miles is going to play the same role he did in Duke, play defense and rebound. Indiana is not looking for scorer.

BD80
06-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Wow Wheat, you used to be more gracious.

So you think Indiana thinks they can win MORE than one championship in four years with Miles? Sounds like a good pick to me

Duvall
06-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Miles is going to play the same role he did in Duke, play defense and rebound. Indiana is not looking for scorer.

Besides, Indiana already has a big man filling the role of wasting possessions by missing long 2-pt jumpshots. (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tyler_hansbrough/) Now they can use Miles with him on the second unit to rebound those misses.

Lennies
06-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Very proud of our Miles! Hard worker in the classroom and on the court.

Larry resigned from the Pacers the day before the draft. Coincidence?

Wheat/"/"/"
06-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Wow Wheat, you used to be more gracious.

So you think Indiana thinks they can win MORE than one championship in four years with Miles? Sounds like a good pick to me

My apologies to the board, throaty sort of set me off first thing this morning.

My points regarding Miles are in regard to my belief he was under utilized at Duke. Not that he wasn't a good, valuable team player.

I like him, but like many others, I just think he could have been better utilized by coach K.

SoCalDukeFan
06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
My wife follows USC football closely and watches Duke basketball on TV with me.

I told her Miles Plumlee was drafted in the first round by Indiana. She said "I didn't know he was coming out." I told her he was a senior. She then then said in a very surprised voice "Miles!!!!"

SoCal

Bojangles4Eva
06-29-2012, 02:31 PM

My points regarding Miles are in regard to my belief he was under utilized at Duke. Not that he wasn't a good, valuable team player.

I like him, but like many others, I just think he could have been better utilized by coach K.

I don't think its so clear cut that he was underutilized if you look at his skill set vs. who he was surrounded by. A freak jump-out-of-the-gym athlete who can rebound and actually doesn't have a bad short jumper. However, his biggest asset would be an around the rim garbage point producer (due to offensive rebounding ability) and transition/pick and roll/penetrate and ally-oop above the rim player. In the former, I think he did this fairly well, though I believe that he could have shown a lot more back to the basket progress. For the latter, this requires a savvy, quick, pass first PG who can either penetrate and lob or set him up in transition. His freshman year we had Paulus, but he (Miles) was a freshman so growing pains were expected. Sophomore year we had John, a steady as a rock PG but not very quick or pass first. He was more of a bring it up, pass to the perimeter followed by hunt his shot type of player. Junior year had Kyrie, who I think would have made both Plumlee's look like studs had he not been injured. Nolan was certainly quick and could penetrate, and actually found Miles on many drive and dish plays, but Nolan looks more to score than most pass first PG's. This year we really didn't have a point with any distinguishable passing ability besides Cook, who while he was great for a couple games, was consistently nagged by his knee, and held back due to his inability to provide reliable on ball D.

Secondly, just look at the much more naturally talented perimeter offensive players he was surrounded by those four years:

Fr: John, Henderson, Kyle, DeMarcus Nelson
So: John, Kyle, Nolan
Jr: Kyle, Nolan, Seth, Andre (leaving out Kyrie due to injury)
Sr: Seth, Rivers, Andre, and one could definitely make the argument for Kelly

Given that perimeter personnel, when thinking about what's best for the TEAM, its not that illogical to see why he set so many screens. I think if we had more pass first PG's those years, those screens would more often turn into rolls and then dunks. However, this is all just speculation, so I could be totally wrong, but I think Plumlee just wasn't surrounded by the type of players he needed to reach his full potential. However, I do agree that even with the personnel we had, I think he could have been more productive, but not by leaps and bounds (no pun intended).

weezie
06-29-2012, 02:57 PM
I failed to accurately judge the NBA's love affair with potential over substance...Obviously, the Indiana GM and staff thinks they can do more with Miles than Duke did and I don't disagree with that.

The backhanded "compliment", ah yes, there's the Wheaty.

weezie
06-29-2012, 02:59 PM

Holy smokes, I've been at the beach all week and we've been trying to stayed hydrated, er...beer-ed and had no idea. Thanks for setting me straight!

BD80
06-29-2012, 03:11 PM

No apologies necessary in my mind - I like having a well-reasoned non-partisan voice than can provide a counterpoint that does not sound traitorous.

HOWEVER - I do disagree. I think that we can agree that Miles was fully utilized in nearly every aspect of the game, defense, rebounding, fast-breaks, setting picks ...

Our difference is in Miles' offense. I submit that Miles has a disability, like a speech impediment, when he gets the ball in the post. Miles is unable to freely move until he bounces the ball on the floor. Like someone who stutters, the more pressure, the more paralyzed the process becomes. Coach K fully attempted to utilize Miles as a post scorer, but Miles continuously bounced the ball upon receiving the feed - essentially ruining his chance of scoring. I would venture a guess that the staff had compiled stats showing Miles' success rate upon dribbling versus not (I would place his success rate twice as high without the dribble). Likely, Miles was fine in practice, but he could not break the pattern in games. Thus, I submit he was fully utilzed - AND that what he can do will be of great value to the Pacers.

JTH
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM

I believe that he resigned but stayed through the draft. Looks like he was still in charge of the draft.

(Link) http://www.indystar.com/article/20120627/SPORTS04/120627054/-b-Larry-Bird-b-Staying-Pacers-through-tonight-s-NBA-draft

I don't know that I agree with the writer, but I did chuckle when I read this:

"The Pacers don’t want to pick a player they must take years to develop such as Roy Hibbert and Tyler Hansbrough. They want to carry over last season’s success into next season."

devildeac
06-29-2012, 06:55 PM

I dunno, Wheat, ol' buddy, you might want to quit while you're behind here...

;)

Edouble
06-29-2012, 08:18 PM

I think we should lay off of Wheat a little. He's only voiced his opinion, apologized twice, congratulated Miles, and shown up and stayed around while everyone is ragging on him.

If we are going to poke fun at Wheat for Zeller and Miles only being separated by 9 draft picks, perhaps we should take a look in the mirror too.

Zeller was a very deserving ACC player of the year and Miles was just 9 drafts picks lower? If you can use "difference in draft position" as a unit of measurement, were Miles' accomplishments within 9 draft picks from being ACC player of the year? Of course not! Look at the other ACC guys taken in the first round. Miles sticks out like a sore thumb when you compare their accomplishments. It is not a radical theory to say the guy was under utilized.

We lost to LeHigh, a 15 seed, in the first round. They did not have a 7' er with a 40" vertical.

Miles' draft status sort of shocked the non-Duke world. Now would be a good time for tough love and introspection. It's a tough argument to say we couldn't have used the guy more effectively, especially at the end of the season with Kelly injured and time to prepare adjustments based on the injury.

MChambers
06-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I believe that he resigned but stayed through the draft. Looks like he was still in charge of the draft.

(Link) http://www.indystar.com/article/20120627/SPORTS04/120627054/-b-Larry-Bird-b-Staying-Pacers-through-tonight-s-NBA-draft

I don't know that I agree with the writer, but I did chuckle when I read this:

"The Pacers don’t want to pick a player they must take years to develop such as Roy Hibbert and Tyler Hansbrough. They want to carry over last season’s success into next season."
As old as Hansbrough was when he left UNC, by the time he develops he'll be cashing those Social Security checks!

Thanks for the great quote. Made my day.

dukeman28428
06-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Job well done Miles....we are proud of you and thanks for all that you did for Duke baskeball.

Come back and visit Cameron as often as you can

Good luck in the NBA

DukieInBrasil
06-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Miles sticks out like a sore thumb when you compare their accomplishments. It is not a radical theory to say the guy was under utilized.

We lost to LeHigh, a 15 seed, in the first round. They did not have a 7' er with a 40" vertical.

Miles' draft status sort of shocked the non-Duke world. Now would be a good time for tough love and introspection. It's a tough argument to say we couldn't have used the guy more effectively, especially at the end of the season with Kelly injured and time to prepare adjustments based on the injury.

I think one of the tough love things to admit is that we have not had a great passing pg alongside Miles (except for 8 games) as an upperclassman. Miles was open for so many pick-n-roll slams last year that our guards just couldn't find.

gumbomoop
06-29-2012, 10:53 PM
I wonder whether we might arrive at something close to a consensus re Miles by thinking about these 2 insightful posts. Not unanimity, but consensus.

I don't think its so clear cut that he was underutilized if you look at his skill set vs. who he was surrounded by. A freak jump-out-of-the-gym athlete who can rebound and actually doesn't have a bad short jumper. However, his biggest asset would be an around the rim garbage point producer (due to offensive rebounding ability) and transition/pick and roll/penetrate and ally-oop above the rim player. In the former, I think he did this fairly well, though I believe that he could have shown a lot more back to the basket progress. For the latter, this requires a savvy, quick, pass first PG who can either penetrate and lob or set him up in transition. His freshman year we had Paulus, but he (Miles) was a freshman so growing pains were expected. Sophomore year we had John, a steady as a rock PG but not very quick or pass first. He was more of a bring it up, pass to the perimeter followed by hunt his shot type of player. Junior year had Kyrie, who I think would have made both Plumlee's look like studs had he not been injured. Nolan was certainly quick and could penetrate, and actually found Miles on many drive and dish plays, but Nolan looks more to score than most pass first PG's. This year we really didn't have a point with any distinguishable passing ability besides Cook, who while he was great for a couple games, was consistently nagged by his knee, and held back due to his inability to provide reliable on ball D.

Secondly, just look at the much more naturally talented perimeter offensive players he was surrounded by those four years:

Fr: John, Henderson, Kyle, DeMarcus Nelson
So: John, Kyle, Nolan
Jr: Kyle, Nolan, Seth, Andre (leaving out Kyrie due to injury)
Sr: Seth, Rivers, Andre, and one could definitely make the argument for Kelly

Given that perimeter personnel, when thinking about what's best for the TEAM, its not that illogical to see why he set so many screens. I think if we had more pass first PG's those years, those screens would more often turn into rolls and then dunks. However, this is all just speculation, so I could be totally wrong, but I think Plumlee just wasn't surrounded by the type of players he needed to reach his full potential. However, I do agree that even with the personnel we had, I think he could have been more productive, but not by leaps and bounds (no pun intended).

Bojangles4Eva details the PG issues during Miles's 4 years, adds to that the list of strong perimeter players, and concludes with the balanced assessment that, yes, given his obvious athleticism, Miles might have been somewhat more productive, but, given the personnel luck-of-the-draw, no, probably not substantially more productive.

I submit that Miles has a disability, like a speech impediment, when he gets the ball in the post. Miles is unable to freely move until he bounces the ball on the floor. Like someone who stutters, the more pressure, the more paralyzed the process becomes. Coach K fully attempted to utilize Miles as a post scorer, but Miles continuously bounced the ball upon receiving the feed - essentially ruining his chance of scoring. I would venture a guess that the staff had compiled stats showing Miles' success rate upon dribbling versus not (I would place his success rate twice as high without the dribble). Likely, Miles was fine in practice, but he could not break the pattern in games. Thus, I submit he was fully utilzed - AND that what he can do will be of great value to the Pacers.

Here BD80 adds an insightful observation about why Miles might not have been substantially more productive, noting that Miles would have been more "utilized" if he had proven more adept on O. However much his super-athleticism showed in practice, in games he was very inconsistent, not only from game to game, but within most games. Intermittently he got on a roll in a game and was outstanding. At other times he appeared not to have improved his footwork or court awareness, and to have no certain go-to move. If Miles was "underutilized," he was done in by circumstances and his own failings, much more than by K's misguided coaching.

I don't follow the NBA, but of course will want to check in on Rivers and MP1. Also the talented UNC fellows. All 6 of the Duke-UNC 1st-rounders have both the proverbial potential, but also the nagging questions. Can Rivers play some PG and get teammates involved? What strengths will Miles actually show, to "justify" this surprise choice by Bird? Can Marshall play D in a much faster league? Will Henson be pushed around, or will his length prove as much an asset as in college? Will Barnes learn to dribble and rebound, just a little?

I have fewer questions about Zeller, who strikes me as having a go-to shot, galloping speed for Kyrie's passes [.......], and much better D-fundamentals than he's given credit for.

Back to my central point, which is to praise the useful analysis of Bojangles4Eva and BD80, and to suggest that by combining their assessments, we might get close to a consensus. Happy early 4th of July.

roywhite
06-29-2012, 11:25 PM
gumbomoop, BD80, and bojangles4Eva all make good points.

Addditionally, it seems to me that nobody wanted Miles to succeed, indeed to "break out", more than Coach K, and he tried very hard to make that happen.
I recall numerous incidents of very personal coaching by K towards Miles, even during the course of a game; he gave plenty of feedback to Miles, quite often praising and encouraging moments of success. It was a project that never quite reached a successful conclusion, but did help produce flashes of very good play by Miles, and overall improvement. A different mix around Miles, especially at point guard, might have helped even more.

All considered, I'm pleased that Miles now has a solid chance to be a good NBA player and I'll celebrate his 1st round selection, and wish him well.

Kedsy
06-29-2012, 11:52 PM
I think we should lay off of Wheat a little. He's only voiced his opinion, apologized twice, congratulated Miles, and shown up and stayed around while everyone is ragging on him.

If we are going to poke fun at Wheat for Zeller and Miles only being separated by 9 draft picks, perhaps we should take a look in the mirror too.

Zeller was a very deserving ACC player of the year and Miles was just 9 drafts picks lower? If you can use "difference in draft position" as a unit of measurement, were Miles' accomplishments within 9 draft picks from being ACC player of the year? Of course not! Look at the other ACC guys taken in the first round. Miles sticks out like a sore thumb when you compare their accomplishments. It is not a radical theory to say the guy was under utilized.

I agree we should lay off Wheat a little. Other than that I disagree. Miles was drafted because the Pacers wanted a guy to do the dirty work at which Miles excels. Nobody expects him to be a big scorer. And other than scoring, he was really good this season. He was the 8th best offensive rebounder in the nation (based on offensive rebounding percentage). His total rebounds per minute was better than Zeller, Sullinger, Henson, even Anthony Davis. Frankly, his offensive rating was better than Henson and Thomas Robinson and not much worse than Sullinger (although much worse than Zeller and Davis). His effective FG% was better than Zeller, Henson, Robinson and Sullinger, and not much worse than Davis. He's a very strong defensive player. So, other than scoring, how was Miles "underutilized"? How could he have been used more effectively? What does any of this have to do with the fact that we lost a game to Lehigh?

To me, the "sore thumb" is that we tend to judge "accomplishments" on scoring alone. Fortunately for Miles, the Pacers didn't look at it that way.

greybeard
06-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Well, Indiana is probably as good a fit for him as anywhere. They do like to bang and run, and Miles can do that. I think he will fit into their
rotation pretty well. Maybe he plays some, maybe he spends some time in the D league improving. He has similar skills to McBobs, who played
his best ball with the Pacers, although a little better rebounder, not as good a passer. We'll see.

In addition to all the things that Miles does well that others here have already posted, I think that Miles has a very good (maybe better) mid range jump shot and is a reasonably good hi-low passer. I think that if Miles softens up his torso, ribs and "core" muscle group instead of tighening, his hands will soften and it will be relatively easy for him to establish at least a passable inside game. I think Miles showed the beginnings of what I am talking about the last 7 games, and got better at them as the last seven games progressed. The concept of tightening the core muscles, bending over, pulls down his head, makes it difficult to elevate and have control of the ball, and makes him an easy read. Given his strength, and many folk's misconception about what it takes to explode to the basket, it is understandable that Miles developed these upside-down concepts and habits as a youngster. I think that he will see the effective big men on the Pacers present differently when playing inside.

If I am half right, I think that he will get more time than Hans at least towards the end of his first year.

Edouble
06-30-2012, 01:47 AM
I agree we should lay off Wheat a little. Other than that I disagree. Miles was drafted because the Pacers wanted a guy to do the dirty work at which Miles excels. Nobody expects him to be a big scorer. And other than scoring, he was really good this season. He was the 8th best offensive rebounder in the nation (based on offensive rebounding percentage). His total rebounds per minute was better than Zeller, Sullinger, Henson, even Anthony Davis. Frankly, his offensive rating was better than Henson and Thomas Robinson and not much worse than Sullinger (although much worse than Zeller and Davis). His effective FG% was better than Zeller, Henson, Robinson and Sullinger, and not much worse than Davis. He's a very strong defensive player. So, other than scoring, how was Miles "underutilized"? How could he have been used more effectively? What does any of this have to do with the fact that we lost a game to Lehigh?

To me, the "sore thumb" is that we tend to judge "accomplishments" on scoring alone. Fortunately for Miles, the Pacers didn't look at it that way.

Miles is not in the same class as any of the other guys you mentioned. Those guys are marquee, feared players. That's why he was underutilized. Yeah, we could have used some inside scoring this year. We couldn't get him the ball for dunks in the LeHigh game. LeHigh, in all honesty, should have had no answer for the Plumlees. That's why they were a #15 seed. Do you think maybe Miles was so good at getting offensive rebounds because we were never gonna pass him the ball, so all he had to concentrate on was getting a board when the shot went up?

If Miles should be mentioned along with the players that you compare him to, then he certainly could have been used better. More scoring would have been an excellent start. Part of this had to do with the fact that no one could get him the rock. That doesn't mean that he was not underutilized though.

hq2
06-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Miles is not in the same class as any of the other guys you mentioned. Those guys are marquee, feared players. That's why he was underutilized. Yeah, we could have used some inside scoring this year. We couldn't get him the ball for dunks in the LeHigh game. LeHigh, in all honesty, should have had no answer for the Plumlees. That's why they were a #15 seed. Do you think maybe Miles was so good at getting offensive rebounds because we were never gonna pass him the ball, so all he had to concentrate on was getting a board when the shot went up?

If Miles should be mentioned along with the players that you compare him to, then he certainly could have been used better. More scoring would have been an excellent start. Part of this had to do with the fact that no one could get him the rock. That doesn't mean that he was not underutilized though.

I think the Pacers took a look at Miles' lack of production and concluded that the Duke PG situation did have something to do with it.
He was playing for most of his career (the Kyrie games excepted) with guards who simply did not know how to penetrate and consistently deliver
the rock in scoring position, and were more interested in scoring. What would Miles (and Mason's, who weren't really overwhelming either) numbers
have been with someone like maybe Chris Duhon to deliver the ball under the basket? In the end, I think they took that into account in their
evaluation. Also, the faster pace of the NBA favors Miles too in bang and run ball. He should get more opportunities to use his ability to run the floor
for easy baskets. So, overall, after the Pacers adjusted Miles' production to the faster pace NBA game with better PGs (although I don't know if
the Pacers PG is all that great at delivering the ball) and looked at their needs for rebounding and inside D, they concluded Miles was better than
his college stats showed. And, I tend to agree.

chaosmage
06-30-2012, 10:30 AM
About the only thing I can add is one thing that I believe Bilas or van Gundy pointed out; Miles thinks too much. Someone said that he had to bounce the ball, I'd postulate that he tends to bounce to give himself time to figure out what to do. Miles was always best when it required a reaction -- going to get a rebound, etc. When he was given the ball with time to do something, he waited a split second before moving, often giving defenses time to cut him off.

Didn't see it pointed out in the thread and thought I'd add it. Major props to Miles, made my house happy because my UNC friend was mad, scared that Hansbrough will lose his minutes --- Also interesting that my iPhone has learned the word "Hanstravel" :-)

Kedsy
06-30-2012, 02:44 PM

My point was that other than scoring (and the fact that he played fewer minutes), Miles accomplishments were as good as any of the "marquee" players. So when you say he could have been "used better," what do you mean? That he should have scored more? Some guys just aren't scorers, doesn't mean they're underutilized.

And, I believe that by being chosen in the first round of the NBA draft, Miles has proved that he is in the "same class" as the other big men chosen in the first round.

Also, I don't know what Lehigh (which, by the way, does not have a capital "H" in it) has to do with this discussion. It was one game. Against Penn State during the regular season, Anthony Davis had 3 points and 6 rebounds, against a team he should have dominated -- does that mean he was underutilized?

And no, I don't think Miles's offensive rebounding prowess had anything to do with your perception that "we were never gonna pass him the ball." There were plenty of players in the country that scored fewer than the 12.87 per 40 minutes that Miles scored, but none of them had a higher offensive rebounding percentage. He was 8th in the country!

Obviously every team needs scorers. We had plenty. Teams also need players who have other skills. If a guy's role is to rebound and play defense and set screens and hit a few open shots and alley oop dunks, why is that a bad role? Why is that a poor way to utilize him? Before Ryan Kelly got hurt, Duke had the #1 offense in the country, according to Pomeroy, so it's not like we really needed more scoring from Miles. So I don't really understand why you believe he was used poorly.

brlftz
06-30-2012, 04:08 PM

I'm actually with Wheat on this one, how quickly we forget Plumlees doing jumping jacks underneath the hoop while watching Curry and Rivers doing weaves 30 feet from the hoop. Or, Plumlees setting high picks and cutting to the hoop with no one on them, getting to the hoop just in time to go for the rebound on the off balance, double-teamed three. At one point i was so mad and frustrated i had to walk away.

I know there were times we made an effort to dump the ball into the post, but it always felt like some sort of special, going through the motions to say we did it thing. our offense never felt like it generated post opportunities within the flow.

sagegrouse
06-30-2012, 04:52 PM
My point was that other than scoring (and the fact that he played fewer minutes), Miles accomplishments were as good as any of the "marquee" players. So when you say he could have been "used better," what do you mean? That he should have scored more? Some guys just aren't scorers, doesn't mean they're underutilized.

I'm actually with Wheat on this one, how quickly we forget Plumlees doing jumping jacks underneath the hoop while watching Curry and Rivers doing weaves 30 feet from the hoop. Or, Plumlees setting high picks and cutting to the hoop with no one on them, getting to the hoop just in time to go for the rebound on the off balance, double-teamed three. At one point i was so mad and frustrated i had to walk away.

I know there were times we made an effort to dump the ball into the post, but it always felt like some sort of special, going through the motions to say we did it thing. our offense never felt like it generated post opportunities within the flow.

The other fact re 2011 and 2012: Miles was seldom the preferred "big man option." It was Mason and, to some extent, Ryan. Last year, Mason and Ryan averaged 11-12 PPG -- Miles 6.6. I think the scoring of the big men could have been 40 PPG instead of 30 PPG for Wheat's reasoning, but even that would not necessarily have made Miles a more prolific scorer.

sagegrouse

hq2
07-01-2012, 04:43 PM
The other fact re 2011 and 2012: Miles was seldom the preferred "big man option." It was Mason and, to some extent, Ryan. Last year, Mason and Ryan averaged 11-12 PPG -- Miles 6.6. I think the scoring of the big men could have been 40 PPG instead of 30 PPG for Wheat's reasoning, but even that would not necessarily have made Miles a more prolific scorer.

sagegrouse

With Miles down low, I think it was both him and the guards. Basically, neither gave the other much reason for confidence. Since we didn't
have great penetrating drive and dish guards, Miles stood around a lot, not expecting the ball even when he was open. And, when he did get open and they got it too him, there were too many dropped balls, charges, and turnovers. So in the end, neither side had any confidence in the other.
Hopefully, in the pros maybe George Hill and the other PGs will be better at getting him the ball in scoring position; and with some coaching help,
Miles will hopefully make better decisions once he has it down low.

dukeballboy88
07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
If I recall correctly, in the DBR mock draft thread I said I would take whatever team was left to fill the draft. The only teams that were left were teams that picked very late in the draft. I said I dont care what team I get Im taking Miles Plumlee. Man several board members talked smack even saying I was making a mockery of the mock draft game you guys get up. I guess I aint that stupid after all!

Do it MP1, I never gave up on you!

And Indiana wouldnt have had to draft a 6'10" if they had a good one.