PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Rowbury @ Olympic Trials

burnspbesq
06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Shannon cruised to victory in her preliminary-round heat in the women's 1,500 meters at the Olympic trials, running 4:16.17. That should leave her with plenty left in the tank for tomorrow's semifinals.

hughgs
06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Shannon cruised to victory in her preliminary-round heat in the women's 1,500 meters at the Olympic trials, running 4:16.17. That should leave her with plenty left in the tank for tomorrow's semifinals.

Is there an A standard she needs to meet?

phaedrus
06-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Is there an A standard she needs to meet?

Already met. She's run 4:05 this year. The "A" is 4:06.

I'd have to look at the list again, but I think she's one of either two or three U.S. women who have met the standard. I believe if she doesn't finish top three but is one of three with the "A" standard, she'll still get to go.

MCFinARL
06-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Already met. She's run 4:05 this year. The "A" is 4:06.

I'd have to look at the list again, but I think she's one of either two or three U.S. women who have met the standard. I believe if she doesn't finish top three but is one of three with the "A" standard, she'll still get to go.

Assuming your premise is correct, that's right. There have already been some events at the trials where competitors who finished in the top three have been passed over because they hadn't met the Olympic standard in favor of the highest-finishing competitor who had met the standard.

phaedrus
06-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Checked the list. Shannon is one of three to have met the standard, and Alice Schmidt should be running the 800, not the 1500. However, whoever finishes in the top three might have another chance or two to hit the A.

4:01.59 4 Morgan Uceny adidas May 31 Rome DL
4:05.64 1 Alice Schmidt Nike Jun 01 Eugene DL
4:05.92 1 Shannon Rowbury Nike May 18 Oxy HP

No less exciting, fellow Dukie Kate Van Buskirk is running the semi-finals of the same event at the Canadian Olympic Trials today. However, Kate will have to chop off about 8 seconds from her PR to make the A standard.

hughgs
06-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Assuming your premise is correct, that's right. There have already been some events at the trials where competitors who finished in the top three have been passed over because they hadn't met the Olympic standard in favor of the highest-finishing competitor who had met the standard.

Does it make sense for countries to select an athlete that doesn't meet the Olympic standard? I thought (as of three days ago) that to be eligible to run in the Olympics you had to meet the standard.

phaedrus
06-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Does it make sense for countries to select an athlete that doesn't meet the Olympic standard? I thought (as of three days ago) that to be eligible to run in the Olympics you had to meet the standard.

I think that if a country is sending only one athlete for an event, they need only meet the B standard, but to send additional athletes, they must meet the A standard.

burnspbesq
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
The semifinals of the women's 1,500 are scheduled to go off at 6:45 p.m. Eastern time. Shannon is in the second semifinal. Hopefully it will be part of NBC Sports Network's two hours of live coverage.

sagegrouse
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
The semifinals of the women's 1,500 are scheduled to go off at 6:45 p.m. Eastern time. Shannon is in the second semifinal. Hopefully it will be part of NBC Sports Network's two hours of live coverage.

Saw it live (I think there may have been a few minute delay). Shannon won the heat with a 60 second last quarter, which received some neagtive comment from the bozos who were announcing.

I think there may have been a few minute delay because Shannon was never mentioned until the third lap, when the announcers said, "And other racers include, Shannon Rowbury, with the #7 on her hip, who was the best US 1500 meter runner from 2008 through 2010 but had some achilles problems last year." Sure enough, Shannon, within a few seconds, surged towards the lead from the middle of the pack and won the heat. Surely, I am being too suspicious, aren't I?

sagegrouse

burnspbesq
06-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Shannon won her semifinal in 4:09.96. The five fastest semifinal times were all run in the other heat.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume that she has been conserving herself for Sunday's final, and has a fast time in her if she needs it. She might.

The final is scheduled for 7:23 p.m. Eastern time on Sunday.

sagegrouse
06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Shannon won her semifinal in 4:09.96. The five fastest semifinal times were all run in the other heat.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume that she has been conserving herself for Sunday's final, and has a fast time in her if she needs it. She might.

The final is scheduled for 7:23 p.m. Eastern time on Sunday.

The pace was dawdling, which is very common in the 1500. Her last lap showed that Shannon has the speed to handle a stretch run. Alice Schmidt, one of the runners who had met the Olympic Standard, failed to advance to the finals in Shannon's heat. She was blitzed in the last 400 -- funny, she's an 800-meter runner.

sagegrouse

hughgs
06-30-2012, 06:51 AM
I think that if a country is sending only one athlete for an event, they need only meet the B standard, but to send additional athletes, they must meet the A standard.

Ahhh, thanks.

DevilHorse
07-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Rowbury finishes 2nd in 4:05, well within herself. She makes the team. :o

Larry
DevilHorse

MCFinARL
07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Rowbury finishes 2nd in 4:05, well within herself. She makes the team. :o

Larry
DevilHorse

Great news. Congratulations, Shannon. Apparently she struggled a bit last season with injury problems but it looks like she is back in good shape.

DevilHorse
07-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I thought it was a very confidently run race. Shannon sat just in behind the pace setters for most of the race, sitting 3rd along the rail, toward the latter half. She never came off the rail, kept up, kept calm. The pace was quicker than the other heats and she was more forewardly placed throughout the heat. The other runners could not keep up the pace. It was not obvious to me if Shannon wanted to challenge the winner who finished about 10 yards in front. The 3rd place finisher was closing, but Shannon had the finish line measured. It looked designed to make the team; no more, no less.
All qualifiers cleared the A olympic standard.

Larry
DevilHorse