PDA

View Full Version : Austin Rivers selected tenth by New Orleans

throatybeard
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Please put discussion specific to Austin's new situation in this thread. Thanks!

Acymetric
06-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Congrats Austin!

And a pretty positive analysis by Bilas to boot.

Ichabod Drain
06-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Awesome, can't wait to watch him in the association. Grats Austin!

Newton_14
06-28-2012, 09:16 PM
I thought it interesting that he won every individual battle in the draft workouts. Dude is driven. I think he is going to prove the naysayers wrong and be a really good NBA player. Huge upside. His game is very suited for the NBA, and he will have success with that killer first step.

Going top 10 helps the Duke program as well. Proud of Austin and happy for him and his family. They are good people. A good night for the Duke "family". Hope we get to start a Miles Plumlee thread shortly!

Congrats to Austin Rivers, SG, Duke University! Go Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
06-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Congrats Austin! Best wishes for a long and successful career! :cool:

roywhite
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Some nice words from Van Gundy after Austin's pick also.

He sees Austin's confident attitude and competitiveness as a big plus.

Real nice scene with Doc and Austin also; brought to mind Doc going nuts in the Dean Dome when Austin hit that dagger of a shot.

OldSchool
06-28-2012, 10:28 PM
I thought it interesting that he won every individual battle in the draft workouts. Dude is driven. I think he is going to prove the naysayers wrong and be a really good NBA player. Huge upside. His game is very suited for the NBA, and he will have success with that killer first step.

And I would add that because he IS driven, he will end up with a bigger package of skills than just that killer first step.

We saw the gains he made in a number of areas last season when Austin applied his determination. If he had stayed another year here I think he would he have made great strides in other areas like court vision and more fully executing the pick and roll.

But it'll take a few years before Austin blossoms into the player he can be, and in the meantime I predict fans whining and complaining that he is not living up to billing.

DevilWearsPrada
06-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Congratulations to Austin, his Family and all his coaches along the way, in fulfilling this young man's DREAM of being an NBA player! Job well done, Austin!! The best to you!

Your winning shot at Unc will be forever remembered, and one of the classic Duke shots, of all times!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UOG1mghgo

Austin definitely Stunned the Carolina Crowd!

Newton_14
06-28-2012, 10:40 PM
And I would add that because he IS driven, he will end up with a bigger package of skills than just that killer first step.

We saw the gains he made in a number of areas last season when Austin applied his determination. If he had stayed another year here I think he would he have made great strides in other areas like court vision and more fully executing the pick and roll.

But it'll take a few years before Austin blossoms into the player he can be, and in the meantime I predict fans whining and complaining that he is not living up to billing.

Yep, totally agree. Austin got better game by game most of the year. Defense was much improved, as was his shooting. Still needs to work on court vision, awareness of when to pass vs shoot, and get better as a catch and shoot guy. I think he has great potential on the defensive end, and improving as a playmaker. Having Davis to catch and finish is a big plus in the latter. I believe Coach K when he says Austin is coachable and responds well to instruction. The Duke coaches by all accounts did not pamper him. They pushed him hard. I have no doubt he will be coachable at the next level and will work daily on his weaknesses.

Edouble
06-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Congrats to Austin. I have not followed Eric Gordon's career in the NBA, but one of the ESPN talking heads seemed to suggest that with Gordon as an undersized shooting guard, that Austin would be counted on to play some point. Does anyone here follow the Hornets? Is it possible that they would try to play Austin as a point guard, a la Steve Francis (quick, first step 2-guard converted to point). Thought?

Greg_Newton
06-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Congrats to Austin. I have not followed Eric Gordon's career in the NBA, but one of the ESPN talking heads seemed to suggest that with Gordon as an undersized shooting guard, that Austin would be counted on to play some point. Does anyone here follow the Hornets? Is it possible that they would try to play Austin as a point guard, a la Steve Francis (quick, first step 2-guard converted to point). Thought?

They intervied someone from the Hornets' front office, I believe, who alluded to something silmilar. I doubt he'll start from day 1 over Jack, but I certainly imagine they'll try to steer him in that direction.

I think that's great news, and absolutely the right way to develop him (I always thought we should have done more of that this year). Secretly, I wonder if Austin is thanking his lucky stars that Toronto passed on him and number 8. He's joining a young, exciting team in the midst of a a complete retooling with the most promising young big man in the game, and has no real pre-established roles or recently drafted guards to compete with. Couldn't really ask for a better situation for himself.

I also think New Orleans itself could be a great fit for him and his personality. The independence, swagger, and funkiness of the city seem to fit somehow. Not sure I'd say the same about Indianapolis, Toronto, DC, etc.

Ichabod Drain
06-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Good article on Austin, his dad, and him going to the hornets.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/46889/doc-rivers-pro-grade-parenting

weezie
06-29-2012, 05:48 PM
He needs to try out Cochon. That's a superb restaurant.
I saw Archie Manning there last year.

roywhite
06-29-2012, 06:39 PM
He needs to try out Cochon. That's a superb restaurant.
I saw Archie Manning there last year.

With any luck, I'd guess Austin has already met Peyton (who is a frequent visitor to Durham) and made a connection with the Mannings.

As Greg Newton observes above, seems to me Austin will enjoy New Orleans and the locals will like him.

BD80
06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Can't say I appreciate the sentiment, but I respect the humor:

"An Austin Rivers-Eric Gordon backcourt should just be called The Hunger Games."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/30/after-the-dust-has-settled-25-observations-from-the-nba-draft/