PDA

View Full Version : The Ol' Ball Coach

Schleimer24
08-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Thank you to Steve Spurrier for his annual vote for Duke in the Coaches Top 25 poll. Hopefully we can win a few early games to garner a few of his colleagues' votes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/coaches/

Capn Poptart
08-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Interesting also that the Deacs were only number 6 in the conference in Top 25 votes, coming off their ACC title and returning 14 starters.

dukie8
08-03-2007, 07:20 PM
i can't believe that nobody has posted about duke football's 1 vote in the preseason usa today poll:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?pollId=2&seasonYear=2007&weekNumber=1

what's that all about?

yancem
08-03-2007, 07:32 PM
i can't believe that nobody has posted about duke football's 1 vote in the preseason usa today poll:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?pollId=2&seasonYear=2007&weekNumber=1

what's that all about?

I'm pretty sure that was Steve Spurrier's vote. He has been voting for Duke for years.

calltheobvious
08-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I really, really like Steve Spurrier. In addition to being one of the most colorful characters and best college football coaches of the last 20 years, he's also a much finer person than he lets on (As one example, he told South Carolina that they needed to pony up $500K/yr beyond their initial offer in order to get him to sign; when they agreed, he told them to split the money evenly among his assistants). And as a frustrated Duke football fan, it warms my heart a little bit every year around this time to see him give us his vote for #25 in the nation. But then the warmth dissipates, and I am left with the frustration that his harmless gesture only re-mphasizes the absurdity of pre-season college football polls.

CameronBlue
08-03-2007, 11:29 PM
will we fall out of the polls? SS usually just gives us the 25th spot in the preseason...a bit of ignominy there to finally notch a W and fall OUT of the poll....or the "Others receiving votes" part of the poll anyway.

(Steve we still miss you round these parts. I still fantasize that your greatest achievement, the thing that would establish you, YOU! STEVE SPURRIER! AS THE GREASTEST COACH OF ALL TTTTIIIIMMMMMMEEEEE!!!!!! would be to come back and lead Duke to the National Championship. Well I can dream can't I??)

mgtr
08-04-2007, 02:28 AM
I don't see Steve Spurrier going backwards in life to try Duke again. He has his hands plenty full at South Carolina, attempting to build a team which is competitive year in and year out. If he can do that (and he is definitely the man to try), he will have had a successful coaching life.

gep
08-04-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm pretty sure that was Steve Spurrier's vote. He has been voting for Duke for years.

I remember learning about this a few years ago. I thought he'd "let it go", eventually, but, I guess his fondness for Duke will be with him forever... I think it's great that such a good coach doesn't forget his "beginnings". I'm really surprised that he's kept this up for so long. He must be a cool guy:)

dukemath
08-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Funny how I think its a nice gesture for Spurrier to give us a vote at the beginning of the season, but it I don't think the same thing about Gary Williams voting for his Maryland team in the basketball poll every week no matter how bad his team is.

4decadedukie
08-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Coach Spurrier's loyalty and appreciation to Duke remain strong, many of us appreciate it, and hopefully (during the lifetime of one of our participants') Duke will be able to repay his fidelity by knocking off a major USC rival (Clemson comes to mind).

VaDukie
08-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Funny how I think its a nice gesture for Spurrier to give us a vote at the beginning of the season, but it I don't think the same thing about Gary Williams voting for his Maryland team in the basketball poll every week no matter how bad his team is.

Wow I've never heard that, but it does make sense given his overwhelming inferiority complex. In case you haven't heard, he has won a national championship.

mapei
08-04-2007, 02:49 PM
He's one of two Williamses to have done so, I think. ;)

I love Spurrier. Even as a Redskins season-ticket holder (god help me), I never turned on him. I find him totally refreshing.

Schleimer24
08-04-2007, 03:46 PM
It blows my mind that these "talking heads" make such a big deal about Duke receiving the #25 vote in the preseason poll. Yesterday they did a minute and a half bit on this over on PTI and if I remember correctly, this was not the first time they had this topic discussed. As mentioned earlier, this poll is preseason - not October, November or December when these polls actually bear some merit.

JasonEvans
08-05-2007, 07:41 AM
It blows my mind that these "talking heads" make such a big deal about Duke receiving the #25 vote in the preseason poll. Yesterday they did a minute and a half bit on this over on PTI and if I remember correctly, this was not the first time they had this topic discussed. As mentioned earlier, this poll is preseason - not October, November or December when these polls actually bear some merit.

I love the way everyone does it like it is some "story."

Folks, Spurrier does this EVERY SINGLE YEAR!! It is an annual tradition for him. We are talking about one #25 vote in the pre-season poll. Does anyone think this matters AT ALL?

-Jason "PTI knows the history on this-- but they needed something to put on the menu for 90 seconds" Evans

YmoBeThere
08-05-2007, 08:07 AM

when he was still at UF and we occasionally had a good team, say under Barry Wilson or Goldsmith. But given where we are right now, I appreciate that he has stuck to his principle of doing this. You must develop a talking head filter...most of their blather is worthless, save for an occasional nugget.

Jarhead
08-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I think it does matter even if just a little bit. Spurrier still has a place in his heart for Duke, and I appreciate the annual reminder. When we turn the corner, he'll be the first we can count on for the occasional #1 vote.

throatybeard
08-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow, this is a fresh topic.

captmojo
08-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Is it more an appreciation for Duke, or could it be a wonderful dig at the holes? (or both)

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2017, 10:45 AM
This thread is older than dirt, but I didn't want to start a new one, and this may actually give some insight into those Duke votes way back when.
Spurrier was inducted into the college HOF yesterday, and had this to offer up about his career.

Spurrier became the fourth person to be inducted into the hall as both a player and a coach. Spurrier started his head coaching career at Duke from 1987-89 and credited his time there with allowing him to understand what it took to have a winning team.
"The offense had to play close to perfect just about every game. We couldn't play stupid and have touchdowns called back to have any chance to win. We had outstanding offensive guys. Defense was a little light, but they played their hearts out. So whatever kind of coach I became, I think I learned it at Duke University," Spurrier said.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rivals-manning-spurrier-enter-college-hall-of-fame-together/17163902/