PDA

View Full Version : Austin Kelly: Hoop dreams

SupaDave
06-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Saw the quick blurb on Austin and had to make a mention of his skills. As luck would have it, Austin's family lives around the corner from me here in GA. One thing we've always talked about is why he never tried to walk on the team. Austin is a pretty good basketball player. I'm excited to see how this works out.

Olympic Fan
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I too wish Austin the best of luck and hope his basketball experience turns out well.

But I have to admit that I'm a little curious about one thing. The article linked on the front page notes that the NCAA allows 10 semesters of athetic eligibility and Austin, because he didn't redshirt, played just eight semesters at Duke.

Fine, but the NCAA also requires student-athletes to complete their four years of eligibility in five years. There are sometimes waivers given when injury wipes out two or more years (as Kenny Annunike received a sixth year). And the clock stops on Mormon kids when they take their mission. Back when I was in school and National Guard units were being called up, those kids also got waivers.

But I can't see how any of those apply to Austin. He played 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. Now, if he had played basketball in 2011-12, it would be fairly routine -- kind of like Greg Paulus playing for Syracuse in the year after playing at Duke. But how is Austin able to play in 2012-13 ... which is essentially his sixth year? What's the cutoff? Could Steve Gray, who played four years of basketball in the late 1970s -- but was regarded as a great football safety (UCLA and a number of other Pac 8 schools recruited him as a football player) come back and play a final season of football 30 years later? Okay, that's silly, but what about DeMarvus Nelson -- he was also a prep football star. His basketball eligibility is gone. Can he come back and play a year of football?

I'm not complaining, just seeking clarity here. I thought the rule was five years to play four. How is Austin beating that?

SupaDave
06-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I too wish Austin the best of luck and hope his basketball experience turns out well.

But I have to admit that I'm a little curious about one thing. The article linked on the front page notes that the NCAA allows 10 semesters of athetic eligibility and Austin, because he didn't redshirt, played just eight semesters at Duke.

Fine, but the NCAA also requires student-athletes to complete their four years of eligibility in five years. There are sometimes waivers given when injury wipes out two or more years (as Kenny Annunike received a sixth year). And the clock stops on Mormon kids when they take their mission. Back when I was in school and National Guard units were being called up, those kids also got waivers.

But I can't see how any of those apply to Austin. He played 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. Now, if he had played basketball in 2011-12, it would be fairly routine -- kind of like Greg Paulus playing for Syracuse in the year after playing at Duke. But how is Austin able to play in 2012-13 ... which is essentially his sixth year? What's the cutoff? Could Steve Gray, who played four years of basketball in the late 1970s -- but was regarded as a great football safety (UCLA and a number of other Pac 8 schools recruited him as a football player) come back and play a final season of football 30 years later? Okay, that's silly, but what about DeMarvus Nelson -- he was also a prep football star. His basketball eligibility is gone. Can he come back and play a year of football?

I'm not complaining, just seeking clarity here. I thought the rule was five years to play four. How is Austin beating that?

Great question. The answer is probably in the fact that he will be in grad school and not undergrad therefore eliminating the "four in five" rule. That appears to apply on to an undergrad degree. Paulus himself could have also sat out a year.

Bluedog
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Great question. The answer is probably in the fact that he will be in grad school and not undergrad therefore eliminating the "four in five" rule. That appears to apply on to an undergrad degree. Paulus himself could have also sat out a year.

I don't think this is quite right as I recall reading that Paulus was only eligible to play football if he played immediately. Not sure the details of the rule though.

SupaDave
06-26-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't think this is quite right as I recall reading that Paulus was only eligible to play football if he played immediately. Not sure the details of the rule though.

Exactly. BOTH have used up their FOUR years of eligibility in one sport. However - there's still a year of eligibility left - which can be used for another sport.

Newton_14
06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Exactly. BOTH have used up their FOUR years of eligibility in one sport. However - there's still a year of eligibility left - which can be used for another sport.

Right, but the question is when? How does the 4 in 5 rule not apply? If it does not apply, then is there any limit to sit out years? Interesting question.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Right, but the question is when? How does the 4 in 5 rule not apply? If it does not apply, then is there any limit to sit out years? Interesting question.
Austin played football in Division I. What division is Georgia Southwestern?

sagegrouse
06-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Austin played football in Division I. What division is Georgia Southwestern?

Division II (http://www.gswcanes.com/information/quickfacts)

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Is playing his last year of eligibility in a different division what makes this possible for Austin?

sagegrouse
06-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Is playing his last year of eligibility in a different division what makes this possible for Austin?

Yes, I think -- that and being a graduate student. In neither case would a player have to sit out.

sage