PDA

View Full Version : Now...depression :(

moonpie23
06-23-2012, 10:21 PM
(in my best Eyore voice)

the sports "black hole".........BB is over.....football not until august......thank goodness for the olympics...

please don't offer "baseball"..........

SCMatt33
06-23-2012, 10:49 PM
(in my best Eyore voice)

the sports "black hole".........BB is over.....football not until august......thank goodness for the olympics...

I wouldn't call it anywhere close to the black hole of sports. The black hole of major american team sports maybe, but June-August is a great time to watch all of those other sports. You get 3 golf majors in just over 8 weeks. You get two tennis grand slams (though the second is mostly in September). If you can get past all the PED's, you get a month of cycling in July (just turn on NBC sports network any time of day and it will be on). You have the international soccer season, with Euro 2012 and early World Cup qualifying for the US. Baseball can certainly get repetitive during the dog days, but this is the time of year to embrace all of those sports that get the other 10 minutes of Sportscenter that isn't about LeBron.

Son of Jarhead
06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
(in my best Eyore voice)

This slow period in sports is down right excruciating!

OldPhiKap
06-23-2012, 11:03 PM
NBATV just showed a great documentary of Duke's 91-92 back to backers. Rebroadcast coming 7/4 I think.

That'll carry you a long way.

dukebsbll14
06-23-2012, 11:06 PM
...this is the time of year to embrace all of those sports that get the other 10 minutes of Sportscenter that isn't about LeBron.

You mean Jordan, Jr? Someone hasn't been watching enough SportsCenter in the past 24 hours...

SCMatt33
06-23-2012, 11:57 PM
You mean Jordan, Jr? Someone hasn't been watching enough SportsCenter in the past 24 hours...

Yes, I'm happy to admit not watching much Sportscenter for quite some time. Can't get enough of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI), though.

Greg_Newton
06-24-2012, 02:25 AM
Nahhh, Pro-Am starts in 4 days, Olympics in a month... there's always something to over-analyze!

anon
06-24-2012, 05:11 AM

As you demonstrate, it's a matter of perspective.

For me, the end of college basketball almost perfectly matches up with Opening Day — often exactly the same day. If that isn't evidence of a Creator, then what is? ;)

moonpie23
06-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Opening Day — often exactly the same day.

is that a new Harris Teeter grand opening?

subzero02
06-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Olympic basketball is just around the corner... There are practices and games(hopefully televised)between now and the opening ceremony.

moonpie23
06-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Olympic basketball is just around the corner... There are practices and games(hopefully televised)between now and the opening ceremony.

oh THANK YOU!

1 24 90
06-24-2012, 11:09 AM
My suggestion is Wimbledon!!! I plan to get totally immersed in the hallowed lawns of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (but I understand not everyone shares my passion).

Olympic Fan
06-24-2012, 11:48 AM

For me, the end of college basketball almost perfectly matches up with Opening Day — often exactly the same day. If that isn't evidence of a Creator, then what is? ;)

I totally agree with you anon -- I LOVE baseball and there is a seamless jump from college basketball to major league baseball.

Sorry you don't like it moonpie, but we all have our likes and dislikes. For me, as much as I love college basketball, I wouldn't watch an NBA game if you put a gun to my head. And while I love college football (I would -- and have -- stay up to 2 am. to watch a Nevada-Hawaii game), I haven't watched two hours of NFL football in the last 20 years (even since the Charlotte Panthers and the NFL took my Redskins away from me).

As anon says, it's all a matter of perspective. The next few months are going to be great for me -- my Yankees are in first place ... my Braves are in contention .... the Olynpics start in a month ... and by September, college football kicks off again.

Starter
06-24-2012, 12:24 PM
(in my best Eyore voice)

I'm paid to watch baseball.

...but I have to admit I feel the void a bit. At least until September, when we have football and baseball gets totally awesome.

gumbomoop
06-24-2012, 12:28 PM
As I have learned from participating in the Off-Topic thread on EURO 2012, there are some very well-informed posters on football/soccer.

For the undoubtedly few of us who are football nutters, June has been a wonderful month, and the next 7 days will be the culmination of the second-most important sporting event for much of the world, after the World Cup. [In fact, many would argue that this tournament provides better football even than the World Cup.]

Just in the far-off chance that one or two EK readers might take a glance at EURO 2012, coming up this aft [ESPN, 2:30] is the last quarterfinal, Italy v. England. Three semifinalists have booked their spots: co-favorites Spain and Germany, plus the Christiano Ronaldo-led Portugal. Most experts are surely expecting a final between the giants, Spain and Germany, but any of the other 3 teams still left could win it.

CDu
06-24-2012, 12:59 PM
As I have learned from participating in the Off-Topic thread on EURO 2012, there are some very well-informed posters on football/soccer.

For the undoubtedly few of us who are football nutters, June has been a wonderful month, and the next 7 days will be the culmination of the second-most important sporting event for much of the world, after the World Cup. [In fact, many would argue that this tournament provides better football even than the World Cup.]

Just in the far-off chance that one or two EK readers might take a glance at EURO 2012, coming up this aft [ESPN, 2:30] is the last quarterfinal, Italy v. England. Three semifinalists have booked their spots: co-favorites Spain and Germany, plus the Christiano Ronaldo-led Portugal. Most experts are surely expecting a final between the giants, Spain and Germany, but any of the other 3 teams still left could win it.

The Euro 2012 semifinals and finals should be fantastic. The final 5 are all among the top-12 countries in the world, with a potential #1 vs #3 matchup in the final.

I'm just hopefuly my Azzurri can find their way past England to make the Semis. Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake, because Germany and then (likely) Spain will be a tough pair of wins.

Regardless, there will be lots of star power and really good soccer to be watched over the next several days. Hopefully today is a part of that.

Sgt. Dingleberry
06-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Exactly. College basketball and baseball are my two favorite sports. The best year ever? 2010. My San Francisco Giants won the World Series, Duke won the National Championship. The last day of Duke's season? 4/5/2010. The first day of the Giants' season? 4/5/2010. What a year.

weezie
06-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Come to an AL game with me moonpie and I'll change your mind about baseball. Go get me some popcorn first, though please, and an oat soda, please.....

moonpie23
06-24-2012, 06:28 PM
man, i have tried and tried....i've been to bulls, braves, mudcats, redsox.......it just bores me UNTIL.....something is on the line......when it's game 7, i'm all over it......i know a lot of folks are like that with basketball too..

here's a fun story......when the mets won in 86.....i was in RDU catching a plane to NY...it was the night of the last game. My wife asked me what i was going to do and i told her that i was thinking about going out to shea stadium and just hang around the fanfare........This guy in the terminal got up from his seat and approached me saying "hey i overheard you saying you were going to just hang out at shea, i've got an extra ticket for the game tonight, my friend from boston got sick and can't make it, would you like to go?"

game 7? WORLD SERIES? of course i would....then i thought, man, he's gonna want a mint for that ticket....i said, "how much?" ......he looked at the ticket and said..."uhh...face? (which i think was $65)

any way, that night was sunday night and the game was RAINED OUT.......it was played the following night and the guy who sold me the ticket couldn't stay.....so there was a new stranger in the seat and said he got the ticket from a guy at the airport..

so. me.....baseball non-lover gets a chance to go to game 7

awesome....

Chris Randolph
06-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I share in the agreement that this is a 'down time' in the sports world. But it's not all bad this summer. Olympic trials then Olympics, tennis and golf majors, euro cup, TX Rangers baseball and youtube videos of Duke hoops

Saratoga2
06-24-2012, 08:27 PM
The 40 day horse racing season begins at Saratoga in July. I live very close to the track so can go most days. It is my number 1 sport until Labor Day. Great athletes competing every day live. It is a good bridge to MLB playoffs and then the Duke BB season.

Dukehky
06-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Outside of the Final Four, Wimbledon is my favorite sporting event of the year.
Things to note this year...
1. Probably Feds last realistic shot to win Wimbledon
2. American John Isner is a higher seeded player and has the potential to go VERY deep in this tournament. Dropping those bombs.
3. Watch my girl Serena get this W
4. Pulling against Novak Djokovic, again.

I dig the Braves just as much as the next guy, but as hard as I try, I just can't watch a whole regular season series.

All that being said, I just love basketball too much to not think this is a bit of a lull in the year just because there isn't high profile hoops on until the Olympics.

Oh and JUNIOR FINALLY WON A RACE!!!! COME ON PEOPLE!!!! HE'S THE THIRD BEST DALE IN RACING OF ALL TIME... Behind Sr. and Dale Jarrett of course.

jimsumner
06-24-2012, 09:57 PM
(in my best Eyore voice)

If you like the Olympics, wouldn't you like the Olympic trials?

OldPhiKap
06-24-2012, 10:04 PM
First week of April has the Final Four, the Masters, and Opening Day of Baseball.

Everything kind of falls off after that until late fall when football takes shape and baseball comes to a head.

Olympics and periodic events (World Cup, etc) help carry through. I have enjoyed the EuroCup and College World Series the last few weeks.

And, of course, there's always American Gladiators as well as reruns of Battle of the Network Stars from the '70's. (Hint: never bet on Scott Baio).

PensDevil
06-25-2012, 08:51 AM
My guilty "sports" pleasure right now is American Ninja Warrior (Sun-G4, Mon-NBC). For those who haven't seen it (or the Japanese original) it is a serious obstacle course. Since the original Japanese show started, only four people have completed all four stages.

Ichabod Drain
06-25-2012, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't call it anywhere close to the black hole of sports. The black hole of major american team sports maybe, but June-August is a great time to watch all of those other sports. You get 3 golf majors in just over 8 weeks. You get two tennis grand slams (though the second is mostly in September). If you can get past all the PED's, you get a month of cycling in July (just turn on NBC sports network any time of day and it will be on). You have the international soccer season, with Euro 2012 and early World Cup qualifying for the US. Baseball can certainly get repetitive during the dog days, but this is the time of year to embrace all of those sports that get the other 10 minutes of Sportscenter that isn't about LeBron.

I don't believe the US has another WC qualifying match until October due to the Olympics.... which we didn't qualify for...