PDA

View Full Version : Will Kyle Singler play for Detroit next year?

wgl1228
06-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Anyone have any info on this?

Duvall
06-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Anyone have any info on this?

Haven't seen a statement from Singler on what he will do (and obviously it's up to the Pistons as well), but it looks like he is "expected to play for the team" (http://www.freep.com/article/20120619/SPORTS03/206190422/Singler-due-back-now-that-European-league-is-finished) during summer ball next month.

Matches
06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
He'll have to make the team in the Fall. Presumably he'll give it a shot, and then return to Spain if it doesn't work out and/or he doesn't catch on elsewhere.

With the current state of the Pistons' roster, I think he's got an excellent shot.

weezie
06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
With the current state of the Pistons' roster, I think he's got an excellent shot.

You can sure say that again. As opposed to the hornet, who just seemed clueless, the Piston looked like a train wreck from day one and fully lived up to expectations, no news there of course.
I imagine Dumars will make it worth Kyle's while financially. Some emotional stability is sorely in order for a bunch of Piston whiners and knuckleheads. I hope Kyle can bring some respect back to the franchise.

BD80
06-22-2012, 04:24 PM
There is a logjam on the Pistons roster.

For some reason, they re-signed Tayshaun Prince last year to a 4-yr deal.

Austin Daye was a high draft pick 3 years ago. Pretty much a bust, but has a year left to prove himself. Three years as a pro and is still just 200 lbs at 6' 11" (another reason I see the Pistons passing on Henson). CANNOT hold a spot on the floor or fight through a pick. Useless in drafty arenas. Good for fixing the net when it gets tangled.

Jonus Jarebko - listed as a SF, but is 6' 10" and plays best near the paint - a good player worth keeping.

Charlie Villanueva - listed at PF - but is allergic to contact and treats the paint like its a mine field. Favorite shot is the fall-away jumper from 27'.

Villanueva is a candidate for amnesty - he is absolutely horrible - he even got cut by the Dominican Republic national team. Problem is, Ben Gordon has a worse contract (even though he isn't a total waste of space), so the Pistons might be stuck with CV.

Prince might be a trade candidate mid-year, he could help a contender, but he is good enough to be a starter and takes up one spot.

The Pistons could jettison Villanueva and slide Jarebko to the PF minutes opening a spot for Singler.

Singler would earn minutes over Daye. Since Singler will be in summer ball and camp with the Pistons, I can see Singler winning Daye's spot, but I don't know how that would work with the salary cap. Daye is likely to be gone after this year, so I could see the Pistons asking Kyle to play in Spain for another year until Daye is gone.

Jarebko and Singler would be an intersting tandem on the second unit.

The Pistons are very high on Singler. It is more an issue of when he plays rather than whether he plays.

AsiaMinor
06-22-2012, 05:21 PM
I've been following Kyle (not really stalking :) and hope like the rest of you he gets a shot with the Pistons. He'd be an asset to any team in so many ways.

dukelifer
06-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Interesting and relevant article. Are you a bust if you - a former college star - do not play in the NBA?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8079374/college-players-see-failure-their-future-reach-nba-college-basketball

hq2
06-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Interesting and relevant article. Are you a bust if you - a former college star - do not play in the NBA?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8079374/college-players-see-failure-their-future-reach-nba-college-basketball

I think it's still debatable how well Kyle will do in the NBA. When he left for Europe, he was still a reliable
jump shot away from being a quality NBA player. I don't know if he improved that much this year. I mean,
he was on a good team, but he didn't always start, and his stats didn't always look that impressive either.
Since he's a pretty good all-around and full court player, he may make it in the NBA anyway, but maybe not as a starter. Could be, if he spends too much time on the bench in the NBA, he may head back to Europe (assuming
that the money is about the same, which it likely won't be).

trailblaze
06-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Very reliable intel that he has a 3 year deal agreed to in detroit. Dumars did not want him in europe next year.

subzero02
06-23-2012, 01:02 AM
I am looking forward to watching him in summer league play

NovaScotian
06-23-2012, 04:01 AM
I see Kyle having a similar role to Landry fields in new York - an oversized 2 guard who doesn't need to have the ball, rebounds well and makes dope athletic plays.

DevilWearsPrada
06-23-2012, 05:04 AM
It would be great to see Kyle play for Detroit or any NBA team. As Coach K has stated in the past as to the position Kyle plays, "KYLE plays WARRIOR." Kyle would be an asset to any team. Just as Shane Battier, brought that X factor to the Heat!

The best to Kyle, whether he stays abroad or returns to the States! He is always an NCAA National Champion!

Indoor66
06-23-2012, 06:52 AM
I see Kyle having a similar role to Landry fields in new York - an oversized 2 guard who doesn't need to have the ball, rebounds well and makes dope athletic plays.

What does "makes dope athletic plays" mean? I have never seen or heard the term.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-23-2012, 07:54 AM
What does "makes dope athletic plays" mean? I have never seen or heard the term.

Let's just assume it's the opposite of "alarmingly unathletic."

NBA or not, I hope Kyle has doors open to him and can pursue whatever path he chooses. Selfishly, I'd love him to play state side so I can more easily follow his career.

I also think that Kyle would see Battier's progression as an inspiration. Savvy, all-round player who sticks in the league long enough to take a leadership role on a team that doesn't have to look to him every time down the court, but is ready when called upon.

Best of luck Kyle! You are one of the many players and people who make us very proud to be Duke fans.

mkline09
06-23-2012, 09:01 AM

I think you are a bust if you are a former college basketball star with a college education and are living with your parents. :D Honestly if you are employed and or playing professional ball somewhere that is better than most.

BD80
06-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Very reliable intel that he has a 3 year deal agreed to in detroit. Dumars did not want him in europe next year.

This makes me VERY happy. Hopefully it also means that Villanueva is going.

weezie
06-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Dare I say that a trip to the D to see the Lion and the Piston might be in order in about....late Nov, early Dec?! :D

Olympic Fan
06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
there was an article on goduke earlier this month that had some information about Kyle:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205435898

It made the point:

(1) Dumars was in Spain to watch Singler play in the playoffs (a pretty good sign of the Pistons' interest in him)

(2) Singler will be playing for a Piston-sponsored summer team

(3) Nolan Smith isn't sure that even if the Pistons want to sign him next fall that Singler will give up his Spanish connection:

"With Kyle you never know,” Smith said of his former teammate. “He’s so comfortable there he might end up staying in Spain … or he might come back.”

moonpie23
06-23-2012, 03:35 PM
As Coach K has stated in the past as to the position Kyle plays, "KYLE plays WARRIOR."

if i remember correctly, coach k said, "that guy plays WINNER"......altho i could be mistaken.

dope = "good" or awesome........ie: that car is dope!.....those shoes are dope.....did you see Uncle Drew put that dope move on those guys?"