PDA

View Full Version : "The Stomp" revisited (by a UK fan)

CameronBornAndBred
06-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Good stuff. (includes video)

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/6/18/3094400/kentucky-basketball-revisiting-christian-laettners-stomp-was-it-really

FerryFor50
06-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Shocking. He thinks Laettner should have been tossed. :rolleyes:

He should have been T'd up. That's all. I've seen malicious elbows thrown and make contact that doesn't get players ejected.

And Chris Paul didn't get tossed when he punched Hodge in the junk, if I recall.

I do find it funny that the UK players' sentiment was "if it had been me, we'd have been fighting." Funny how Aminu's teammates didn't seem to feel that way at the time.

dukelifer
06-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Good stuff. (includes video)

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/6/18/3094400/kentucky-basketball-revisiting-christian-laettners-stomp-was-it-really

Interesting quote from someone who has gotten over it

"I think, though, there is a more important principle at stake here. Sports is about fair play and competition, and this was perhaps the most unsportsmanlike act ever committed in the game of college basketball that did not result in an injury."

Ever committed? Wow- that is a lot of basketball to go through. Does that include going up to a player at the free throw line and saying something unmentionable about his family before he shoots? Does that include trying to throw a ball off a guys face from a few feet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg9QEtvxdq4

He also said it was equivalent to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1NgKeVcFMg

This was considered by most one of the biggest games in college bball history- everything is heightened - but claiming it as the most unsportsmanlike act ever is a bit much. It caused no harm and Laettner got T'ed up. Just what was deserved. There has been much worse in college bball. Maybe even more in that game that we did not see.

jafarr1
06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
The stomp didn't seem much different than a shove. Aminu clearly wasn't hurt (he was clapping his hands with a big smile on his face after the ref's whistle). Had the refs tossed Laettner, it wouldn't have been a terrible decision, but it's not a huge travesty that he wasn't tossed, either.

Would UK have won the game if Laettner been tossed? Probably, if only because Laettner was such a force that night that it would have been tough for Duke to make up for his absence. At the same time, the game would probably have ended as just another FF play-in game rather than one of the greatest games in college basketball history.

Mike Corey
06-18-2012, 03:18 PM
"I think, though, there is a more important principle at stake here. Sports is about fair play and competition, and this was perhaps the most unsportsmanlike act ever committed in the game of college basketball that did not result in an injury."

Ah, hyperbole: the cornerstone of fandom in Kentucky.

Newton_14
06-18-2012, 04:24 PM
All I have to say to anyone on this subject is pull the tape and watch Timberlake's actions in that game. It is quite obvious what his role was that night. Somewhere around the 10 minute mark in the 2nd half is one key spot to watch Timberlake and not the ball.

jimsumner
06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
There's not a single college basketball player who wouldn't gladly lie on the floor and get an equivalent tap in return for a technical foul. This wasn't a stomp, it was a dominance display, a peacock showing his feathers.

It deserved a technical foul, nothing more, nothing less.

OldPhiKap
06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Laettner was wrong to do what he did, and deserved a T.

Kind of the end of the story, really.

Not a proud moment for Christian or for Duke, but not something to harp on twenty years down the road either.

sagegrouse
06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Laettner was wrong to do what he did, and deserved a T.

Kind of the end of the story, really.

Not a proud moment for Christian or for Duke, but not something to harp on twenty years down the road either.

Moreover, if you are harping on this issue 20 years later, it suggests you have no more lethal arrows in your quiver.

sage

hurleyfor3
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Twenty years and three titles since then. One of the most privileged programs in the country. Get the hell over it. (Kentuckians, I mean.)

Mike Corey
06-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Moreover, if you are harping on this issue 20 years later, it suggests you have no more lethal arrows in your quiver.

sage

And even if the author had some, I'd doubt his ability to hit the target.

Not everyone can be perfect from the field, after all.

devildeac
06-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Twenty years and three titles since then. One of the most privileged programs in the country. Get the hell over it. (Kentuckians, I mean.)

I doubt they ever will. My BIL sent me a photo from a local Wal-Mart in Lexington with one of the haters wearing one of these:

From the following article:

http://www.nationofblue.com/twenty-years-later-laettner-hate-still-strong-11568/

OldPhiKap
06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
I doubt they ever will. My BIL sent me a photo from a local Wal-Mart in Lexington with one of the haters wearing one of these:

http://www.nationofblue.com/twenty-years-later-laettner-hate-still-strong-11568/

Well, I still hate Joe Wolf and Steve Hale. So lightning would strike me if I got too high-handed.

devildeac
06-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Well, I still hate Joe Wolf and Steve Hale. So lightning would strike me if I got too high-handed.

Just take it easy, OPK, calm down and don't forget to in-Hale, ex-Hale;).

-bdbd
06-19-2012, 12:21 AM

Ah Wal-mart -- the Saks Fifth Avenue of Lexington.

But seriously, I have NEVER seen a KY fan acknowledge that Laettner's "foot taunt" was actually a RESPONSE to some thing(s) that Timberlake had done. Specifically, if you get the chance to rewatch the game, look about 30 - 60 seconds before the incident. They were lined up for a free-throw, along the side of the key, and Timberlake essentially tackles/drags Laettner to the floor. That play, right there, alone, was a much more serious/dangerous/unsportsmanlike play than Laettner's. Unfortunately, he wasn't caught, precipitating Christian's taunting response.

"...this was perhaps the most unsportsmanlike act ever committed in the game of college basketball..."
OK. But he's "gotten over it." .............. Yeah, sure. LOL! :p

But reasoning with KY fans is like explaining tolerance and women's rights to Osama Bin Laden... Just, why bother??!

:rolleyes:

Mike Corey
06-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Sir Edmund Hillary, Sr., who few know was a huge Duke fan, was once asked why he bothered disputing Kentucky fans over The Stomp.

"Because they're there," he said.

hurleyfor3
06-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Sir Edmund Hillary, Sr., who few know was a huge Duke fan, was once asked why he bothered disputing Kentucky fans over The Stomp.

"It is not The Stomp we conquer, but ourselves."

Kimist
06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I agree with the comments made by -bdbd .

I seem to recall there was some serious "manuevering" done by Timberlake, against Laettner, earlier in the game. From an officiating standpoint, those actions were likely far worse than Laettner's (essentially) "pay-back" action. OK, mano a mano, "strutting," "don't tug on Supermans's cape," whatever all are appropriate.

But the UK (and most non-Duke) fans conveniently ignore the earlier incident(s).

Along the same lines of if Laettner had really "stomped" on anyone, it is extremely unlikely that person would have bounced up with a smile on his face and clapping his hands!:rolleyes:

Somewhere I have the entire game on a vcr tape, but finding a player might be more of a challenge in 2012. Perhaps someone can locate those plays and post?

k

Wheat/"/"/"
06-19-2012, 11:50 AM
........a peacock showing his feathers.

It deserved a technical foul, nothing more, nothing less.

Hit the nail on the head there, Jim. :)

lotusland
06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
"Duke, Laettner stomp UK"

Your never going to make a UK fan accept reason so why not just enjoy the insanity.

snowdenscold
06-20-2012, 12:53 AM

But you know the best part of the whole debate about this game and incident? At the end of the day we still have The Shot and an NCAA Championship, and that's not changing. :D

And with the invention of Youtube, the former is only a few keystrokes away!