PDA

View Full Version : Lacrosse Transfer

chrishoke
06-16-2012, 07:45 PM
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/06/15/harvard-defenseman-dan-dimaria-join-duke

Harvard graduate star defenseman Dan DiMaria will spend his final year of eligibility playing for Duke and studying at the Fuqua School of Business. Welcome to Duke Dan. With CJ and Manley graduating, this is an important addition.

burnspbesq
06-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Bloomberg (not exactly a top source of lax recruiting news, but hey) is reporting that Casey Carroll may try to play in 2013. Casey, a three-year starter on defense who graduated in 2007 and spent the last five years with the Army Rangers, will be at Fuqua for the 12-13 academic year. He has a year of eligibility left, due to a medical redshirt in 2006.

-jk
06-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Normally an athlete has five years to play four. I know Mormons get a couple years for mission that stop the clock. Does military service also stop the clock?

-jk

burnspbesq
06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Normally an athlete has five years to play four. I know Mormons get a couple years for mission that stop the clock. Does military service also stop the clock?

-jk

Don't know for certain, but if a veteran of four tours in Iraq and Afghanistan asks for special treatment, it's hard to imagine the NCAA saying no.

The other possibility would be for Dano to bump Galloway up to the full-time paid assistant job that is about to be vacant, and take Casey on as a graduate assistant.

Indoor66
06-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Don't know for certain, but if a veteran of four tours in Iraq and Afghanistan asks for special treatment, it's hard to imagine the NCAA saying no.

The other possibility would be for Dano to bump Galloway up to the full-time paid assistant job that is about to be vacant, and take Casey on as a graduate assistant.

I don't know the answer either, but remember the Army vet who played for Fla State for a couple of years. He was, obviously, older as well.

msdukie
06-17-2012, 07:04 PM
But his clock had not started.

MCFinARL
06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Bloomberg (not exactly a top source of lax recruiting news, but hey) is reporting that Casey Carroll may try to play in 2013. Casey, a three-year starter on defense who graduated in 2007 and spent the last five years with the Army Rangers, will be at Fuqua for the 12-13 academic year. He has a year of eligibility left, due to a medical redshirt in 2006.

Wasn't he also the recipient of an extra year anyway, along with everyone on the 2006 team? I seem to remember it being reported at the time that he decided to proceed with his planned military commitment instead. It's possible the terms for that once-in-a-lifetime exception were different from the usual rules, although it's also possible that, having been offered and declined the choice once, he doesn't get another bite at the apple.

If he wants to, though, it does seem that his military service would make an appealing basis for waiving the 5-year rule.