PDA

View Full Version : More monitor review?

gumbomoop
06-16-2012, 12:55 AM
In latest installment of ESPN's "Change the Game" series, Eamonn Brennan advocates expanding and streamlining use of instant replay.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/60167/change-the-game-watching-the-watchmen

Among his - not my - arguments:

"For one, it's a matter of bringing the live game experience, and the officials' ability to manage it, on par with the experience of watching from home."
"The current replay system's purview ... is too limited."
"Why can't a fourth official -- or a team of officials, even -- be assigned to specifically handle video reviews as the action takes place?"
"We have the technology. Now we just have to figure out how to use it."

Indoor66
06-16-2012, 08:00 AM
In latest installment of ESPN's "Change the Game" series, Eamonn Brennan advocates expanding and streamlining use of instant replay.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/60167/change-the-game-watching-the-watchmen

Among his - not my - arguments:

"For one, it's a matter of bringing the live game experience, and the officials' ability to manage it, on par with the experience of watching from home."
"The current replay system's purview ... is too limited."
"Why can't a fourth official -- or a team of officials, even -- be assigned to specifically handle video reviews as the action takes place?"
"We have the technology. Now we just have to figure out how to use it."

Just 'cause we have it doesn't mean we should use it. I have abottle of scotch in my closet but I don't sip on it all day long.

superdave
06-16-2012, 08:39 AM
"Why can't a fourth official -- or a team of officials, even -- be assigned to specifically handle video reviews as the action takes place?"[/LIST]

Is there always a 4th, alternate official there? Seems like putting that guy on the monitor is a really easy thing to do. That way a sketchy call could be reviewed by the time the officials huddle to decide to review the call even breaks up. I'd be for that because it would reduce the time of reviews.

oldnavy
06-16-2012, 08:41 AM
I suggested using coaches challenges as an alternative to not fouling out in that thread. No one commented on it. I Think it would bring a new and interesting coaching stategy into the game. Do you challenge a questionable call in the first half and risk losing a TO? It could be done and not slow down the game if done right. I thing a one year experiment in ACC play to see how it goes. Maybe decrease some of the terrible "anticipation" calls you see refs make, that on replay are clear not fouls at all. These can be game changers....

hudlow
06-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Have one official on a monitor courtside who could overrule the refs on the court....?

Can't see that working too well and I don't think it's fair to the players or officials.