PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on CNN ( PIers Morgan) at 9 Eastern FRIDAY

SmartDevil
06-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Coach K on CNN ( PIers Morgan) at 9 Eastern FRIDAY

I heard the promo from another room but I believe the interview focuses at least in part on leadership, one of K's favorite topics.

Cameron
06-15-2012, 03:07 AM
This should be very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I am a fan of Morgan's gentlemanly interview style. I think he'll do very well conversationally with Coach K.

At first, I only saw Piers Morgan and subconsciously drew the connection to America's Got Talent, something on which I'm surprised Harrison Barnes did not try to take his game this summer.

flyingdutchdevil
06-15-2012, 08:30 AM
This should be very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I am a fan of Morgan's gentlemanly interview style. I think he'll do very well conversationally with Coach K.

At first, I only saw Piers Morgan and subconsciously drew the connection to America's Got Talent, something on which I'm surprised Harrison Barnes did not try to take his game this summer.

I could not disagree more. Piers Morgan is incredibly pompous and narcissistic. Don't let Morgan's English accent and attempt at dry British humor get to you. Sigh... I miss the glory days of Larry.

OldPhiKap
06-15-2012, 08:56 AM
So -- how far in advance do you think Piers tapped K's phone line, in order to get ready for the interview?

(Not a fan, but wasn't a fan of Larry's either. Now, K on Charlie Rose -- block off the hour).

Cameron
06-15-2012, 09:55 AM
I could not disagree more. Piers Morgan is incredibly pompous and narcissistic. Don't let Morgan's English accent and attempt at dry British humor get to you. Sigh... I miss the glory days of Larry.

That may be true. Perhaps I don't have a large of enough sample to go by. However, on the several occasions that I have watched an entire broadcast of Morgan's nighttime show, I have found him to be pleasantly engaging. I think it may be his candid, straightforward style that sometimes comes across as smug.

Whatever the case, I would enjoy listening to Coach K if he were being interviewed by an elephant.

BlueDevil16
06-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Pretty interesting interview with K on CNN now

zoroaster
06-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Now, K on Charlie Rose -- block off the hour).

That's a good thought (even more so b/c as I'm sure many know Rose is a Duke grad), and it turns out there are several online (Shane gets some burn too):

http://www.charlierose.com/topic/sports?keyword=Mike+Krzyzewski

ThePublisher
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
http://writingshares.com/cnn-news-video-mike-krzyzewski-coach-k-on-piers-morgan-tonight-seeks-another-gold-medal-in-london/

I missed the whole show, but here is a little clip I found.

Anyone now if it is reairing?

roywhite
06-19-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't want to give this guy his own thread, but this is quite a hate-filled tirade from Dan Bernstein (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/18/bernstein-krzyzewski-vitale-embarrassing-themselves/) that is referenced on DBR's front page.

It is surprising to see this piece considering Bernstein's connection to Duke (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/personality/dan-bernstein-3/).

Bernstein interned in the news department at WBBM-TV in Chicago and in the sports department of WTVD-TV in Raleigh/Durham, NC.

He is a Deerfield native and an honors graduate of Duke University, where he did four years of play-by-play for basketball and football and anchored “Duke SportsCenter” on Cable 13 TV.

Jderf
06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't want to give this guy his own thread, but this is quite a hate-filled tirade from Dan Bernstein (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/18/bernstein-krzyzewski-vitale-embarrassing-themselves/) that is referenced on DBR's front page.

It is surprising to see this piece considering Bernstein's connection to Duke (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/personality/dan-bernstein-3/).

The strangest part of it is how bluntly heavy-handed it is. He does not even consider that an alternative interpretation is possible (perhaps, such as "Coach K knew Paterno to be a decent man for many, many years, and therefore believed that he deserved due process"). Instead, Bernstein just leaps to a conclusion and runs with it, assuming that K is subconsciously worried that his own legacy could also easily be destroyed by... well... I guess he never really gets to that part. He mostly just dances around it and hopes that his sinister portrayal of K does the work for him. Such a bad person must have skeletons in his closet, right? Right?

I also love how Coach K and Dick Vitale have somehow progressed from working in the same industry to being symbiotically codependent on each other throughout their entire careers. One could not have existed without the other, apparently.

sagegrouse
06-19-2012, 10:58 AM

This reads like a blog from a guy who is paid by the "hit," and it'll get a lot of hits from the anti-Duke crowd. Apparently he is a shock jock in sports radio in Chicago. I wonder why CBS puts up with it, when every entry on a Google search is about some tempest he has created. Oh, the benefits of a Duke eduation!

sagegrouse

mkline09
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
This reads like a blog from a guy who is paid by the "hit," and it'll get a lot of hits from the anti-Duke crowd. Apparently he is a shock jock in sports radio in Chicago. I wonder why CBS puts up with it, when every entry on a Google search is about some tempest he has created. Oh, the benefits of a Duke eduation!

sagegrouse

I think media outlets like it when guys with Duke backgrounds rip on Duke because if there is a Duke connection it some how validates those with these misinformed and illconceived ideas about Duke. Typical if it bleeds it leads journalism.

Dev11
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Oh, the benefits of a Duke eduation!

A Duke what?

(Thanks for the lob)

flyingdutchdevil
06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
The strangest part of it is how bluntly heavy-handed it is. He does not even consider that an alternative interpretation is possible (perhaps, such as "Coach K knew Paterno to be a decent man for many, many years, and therefore believed that he deserved due process"). Instead, Bernstein just leaps to a conclusion and runs with it, assuming that K is subconsciously worried that his own legacy could also easily be destroyed by... well... I guess he never really gets to that part. He mostly just dances around it and hopes that his sinister portrayal of K does the work for him. Such a bad person must have skeletons in his closet, right? Right?

I also love how Coach K and Dick Vitale have somehow progressed from working in the same industry to being symbiotically codependent on each other throughout their entire careers. One could not have existed without the other, apparently.

You may be right, but I think you're missing the point (as well as the author of the article). Coach K should never have brought up this topic in the first place (and if CNN brought it up, use your amazing PR skills and AVOID the question). I have to admit that I was a little upset with Coach K with his remakes. He isn't perfect, and that response was far from it. In a country where pedophilia gets more media press than murder, this is a topic that you want to stay away from. And truth be told, Coach K doesn't know all the facts. No one does. It's in the best interest to just not reference this topic altogether.

Jderf
06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
You may be right, but I think you're missing the point (as well as the author of the article). Coach K should never have brought up this topic in the first place (and if CNN brought it up, use your amazing PR skills and AVOID the question). I have to admit that I was a little upset with Coach K with his remakes. He isn't perfect, and that response was far from it. In a country where pedophilia gets more media press than murder, this is a topic that you want to stay away from. And truth be told, Coach K doesn't know all the facts. No one does. It's in the best interest to just not reference this topic altogether.

Hmm... so your problem with Coach K's remarks is that he approached the topic at all? I hope I'm understanding you correctly. If that's the case, then I think I disagree, though I'd have to sit on it for a bit. For now, I'll say that if Coach K gets asked a question in an interview, I'm hesitant to fault him for answering.

From my perspective, Coach K's real mistake was in offering a nuanced opinion. He did not say Paterno should have been allowed to continue coaching, which is what I've seen said in many places. Rather, he said Paterno should have been allowed to resign, based on his otherwise long-standing reputation and relationship with the school. But the general media is simply not mature enough to process nuance or anything that cannot be compressed into a soundbite.