PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!, Coach Pollard

dukebsbll14
06-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Chris Pollard of App State!

"Chris Pollard, the 2012 Southern Conference Coach of the Year who guided Appalachian State to six consecutive 30-win seasons, has been named Duke University's 25th head baseball coach as announced Thursday by Duke Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White....

...After joining the Mountaineer staff in 2004, Pollard successfully transformed a program saddled with back-to-back 10-win seasons into a team on the verge of the College World Series in 2012. This past year, he led Appalachian State to one of its most accomplished seasons in the program's 109-year history as the Mountaineers set a school record for victories with a 41-18 overall record and won the Southern Conference championship with a 21-9 league mark. Appalachian earned a berth in the 2012 NCAA Championship, advancing to the championship round of the Charlottesville Regional with wins over national powers Virginia and Oklahoma. "

Don't know much about this guy, but looks like a good hire. Welcome to Duke, Coach Pollard!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205439027

OldPhiKap
06-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Chris Pollard of App State!

"Chris Pollard, the 2012 Southern Conference Coach of the Year who guided Appalachian State to six consecutive 30-win seasons, has been named Duke University's 25th head baseball coach as announced Thursday by Duke Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White....

...After joining the Mountaineer staff in 2004, Pollard successfully transformed a program saddled with back-to-back 10-win seasons into a team on the verge of the College World Series in 2012. This past year, he led Appalachian State to one of its most accomplished seasons in the program's 109-year history as the Mountaineers set a school record for victories with a 41-18 overall record and won the Southern Conference championship with a 21-9 league mark. Appalachian earned a berth in the 2012 NCAA Championship, advancing to the championship round of the Charlottesville Regional with wins over national powers Virginia and Oklahoma. "

Don't know much about this guy, but looks like a good hire. Welcome to Duke, Coach Pollard!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205439027

Welcome Coach Pollard! Looks like a good get.

( I hope the mods move the thread from dpslaw down into a more appropriately-named "welcome" thread.)

Olympic Fan
06-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I was talking to a baseball guy who said that Duke's hire of Sean McNally was a lot like State hiring Sidney Lowe -- a beloved forner player without credentials.

He then said that hiring Pollard was like hiring Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens ... just about the best mid-major coach out there.

Especially good fit since he's a Davidson grad, who also worked and recruited for Davidson as an assistant. He took over an in-the-toilet program at Pfeiffer and in five years produced the best team in school history (41-14). He took over an App State program in the toilet (92-221 under the previous coach ... including 10-43 the year before he arrived) and in three years started a string of six straight 30-win seasons, culminating in a 41-18 season in 2012 that came within one win of the Super Regionals -- three wins from the College World Series. They knocked Virginia out of the NCAA Tournament -- the school's first NCAA win since 1973.

He's young, he's energetic and he says he's got a strong commitment from the university to support the program.

It's been a long time since Duke baseball was any good, but if he's right about the university's support, Pollard should be the guy to get it done.

Great hire.

chrishoke
06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Welcome Coach Pollard. Very solid hire.

Jbsherr DUKE!
06-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Welcome Coach Pollard. Very solid hire.

I would agree. He was my college coach at Pfeiffer University ( Div II) from 2000-03. He was very successful their mixing local talent with out of state players. He caught Apps eye after several consecutive good seasons at Pfeiffer. To my understanding he had a good resume at App and should be a good fit for Duke. He played his collegiate career at Davidson University where he set several school records in pitching. I'm supper happy for coach and excited for us that he is a Blue Devil!!

Jbsherr DUKE!
06-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I would agree. He was my college coach at Pfeiffer University ( Div II) from 2000-03. He was very successful their mixing local talent with out of state players. He caught Apps eye after several consecutive good seasons at Pfeiffer. To my understanding he had a good resume at App and should be a good fit for Duke. He played his collegiate career at Davidson University where he set several school records in pitching. I'm supper happy for coach and excited for us that he is a Blue Devil!!

Sorry was in a hurry, I meant Davidson College lol. Coach also played for a little bit in the Independent Leagues as well.

OldPhiKap
06-14-2012, 09:22 PM

Excellent report! I take it you played for him? Is he bringing any of the staff that was there while you were?

Jbsherr DUKE!
06-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Excellent report! I take it you played for him? Is he bringing any of the staff that was there while you were?

Thanks bud!

I wish I could honestly answer you that. I transferred to Walsh University in Ohio my Jr. year and lost contact with a lot of the guys. I stayed in touch with some ( local guys I grow up playing with that coach brought to Pfeiffer in 2000). That group were the Sr's that won the 41 games. I always through FB or MySpace could keep up with the world of baseball at Pfeiffer. When he took the job at App I don't think he took anyone with him from his Pfeiffer staff. Its been so long I'm not certain who he might be taking to Duke. I know the man knows talent and has a knack for getting his team to believe they can win day in and day out. I've been a Bluedevil fan my whole life so just knowing he is coaching their is pretty cool. I wish him and the team the best of luck!!!

davidson
06-15-2012, 08:03 PM
This is a great hire. He has done a tremendous job at App, and the SoCon is a very strong baseball conference.

By my count, four ACC baseball coaches are Now Davidson grads.

OldPhiKap
06-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks bud!

I wish I could honestly answer you that. I transferred to Walsh University in Ohio my Jr. year and lost contact with a lot of the guys. I stayed in touch with some ( local guys I grow up playing with that coach brought to Pfeiffer in 2000). That group were the Sr's that won the 41 games. I always through FB or MySpace could keep up with the world of baseball at Pfeiffer. When he took the job at App I don't think he took anyone with him from his Pfeiffer staff. Its been so long I'm not certain who he might be taking to Duke. I know the man knows talent and has a knack for getting his team to believe they can win day in and day out. I've been a Bluedevil fan my whole life so just knowing he is coaching their is pretty cool. I wish him and the team the best of luck!!!

Happy for you, happy for us all! Appreciate the insight, hope you post more on this (and other) topics. OPK