PDA

View Full Version : 20 year anniversary of THE Dream Team

Channing
06-12-2012, 10:03 AM
interesting article on the 92 Dream Team, told from first person accounts. Some interesting comments from Laetner, and a nice little exchange between K and Jordan.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201207/dream-team-20th-anniversary-1992-olympics-usa-basketball?currentPage=1

pfrduke
06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
That's a great piece. Loved the bit about Bird trying (and succeeding) to sign the basketballs faster than all of his teammates.

Kdogg
06-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Here's a short interview with Coach K. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mike-Krzyzewski-Dream-Team-1048813.aspx

The documentary airs tonight on NBA TV.

superdave
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Here's a short interview with Coach K. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mike-Krzyzewski-Dream-Team-1048813.aspx

The documentary airs tonight on NBA TV.

Missed the doc last night. Anyone see it? They better have a replay I can DVR!

Starter
06-14-2012, 09:37 AM

I missed it as well, but I've heard it was incredible. From what I hear, it's worth watching for any basketball fan. That team, that era, was simply incredible. I did DVR the 2 a.m. showing. According to their schedule, it airs Friday night at 10:30 p.m. ET, then Saturday into Sunday at midnight.

BobbyFan
06-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Outstanding documentary. I wasn't a big fan of the narrator, but he had a relatively small role. The content was great, and it delves into each of the controversial issues surrounding that team. Plenty of raw footage ranging from intense practices (Jordan vs. Magic) to hilarious scenes of players interacting with fans when they were out (including a great one of Stockton).

For us in particular, there are interviews of K, Laettner, and Hurley. And a few old video clips of Hurley and Hill in the famed colllege vs. Dream Team scrimmage, which I would love to see in its entirety. Speaking of which, K makes a very interesting claim about that game, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Verga3
06-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Outstanding documentary. I wasn't a big fan of the narrator, but he had a relatively small role. The content was great, and it delves into each of the controversial issues surrounding that team. Plenty of raw footage ranging from intense practices (Jordan vs. Magic) to hilarious scenes of players interacting with fans when they were out (including a great one of Stockton).

For us in particular, there are interviews of K, Laettner, and Hurley. And a few old video clips of Hurley and Hill in the famed colllege vs. Dream Team scrimmage, which I would love to see in its entirety. Speaking of which, K makes a very interesting claim about that game, but I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Saw it....Incredible. Bobby shredded the Dream Team in that first scrimmage.

moonpie23
06-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Saw it....Incredible. Bobby shredded the Dream Team in that first scrimmage.

arguably the greatest point guard in college history, but try mentioning that to any non-duke fan.....

orrnot
06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I've become a closet fan of Eric Montross. I think he does a fine job for the Tarheel network and represents himself well in various on-radio interviews in the Triangle. Sorry about that.
To the point, I heard him speak on the radio yesterday about the documentary and his experience with the team of collegians who helped the Dream Team prepare. He validated the story of the lone victory over the DTs, but he said no one recalls the score because the scoreboard was shot off instantly following the scrimmage, apparently to forestall press intrigue. He denied the attached rumor that the DT's shut out the collegians in a followup scrimmage, but he did acknowledge receiving a vengeful whipping.
He seemed a bit wistful in recalling the time. He had been hopeful of representing the US himself, along with other collegians, before the policy change created the Dream Team. I imagine most of the youngsters there felt the same way. He did say that he was proud of his role and thrilled to spend time with the most amazing team every assembled. Seems to have his head on straight about that.

GopherBlue
06-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Any idea whether and where this Dream Team documentary is available for online viewing. I'd love to check it out, but alas, no NBA TV.

Cameron
06-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Is it true that the Larry Bird featured on the original Dream Team was really just Nick Horvath dressing up early for Halloween? It's probably just a rumor.

The greatest assemblage of talent in sporting history. Magic, Bird, Michael. The basketball equivalent of Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Van Gogh. I wish they'd replay those games in their entirety. I'd go to the movie theater and pay to watch it.

Rich
06-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Outstanding documentary. I wasn't a big fan of the narrator, but he had a relatively small role.

Totally agree. I tried to look up who narrated it and also checked the credits, but I couldn't find a name. His voice was really annoying. Sounded like he had to clear his throat. I agree the rest of the documentary was very well done.

Native
06-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Totally agree. I tried to look up who narrated it and also checked the credits, but I couldn't find a name. His voice was really annoying. Sounded like he had to clear his throat. I agree the rest of the documentary was very well done.

Narrator was Ed Burns.

sagegrouse
06-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Narrator was Ed Burns.

Distinguished career, and I liked The Brothers McMullen and other movies. But he sounds like Peewee Herman trying to imitate Marlon Brando in The Godfather.

sage