PDA

View Full Version : Bob Harris Front Page Article

oldnavy
06-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Just recently did I get the opportunity to spend a Saturday with Bob and his lovely wife (not sure of her name but it may be Rose or at least I got the impression that she likes roses). We were in a class together for most of the day, yet for the better part of that day I had no idea that Bob and his wife were sitting right in front of me to the left. It was a small class of say 20 people or so. Anyway not until we moved to an outside venue for part of the class did I have a chance to realize who I was so close too.

And, (here comes my point), the only reason I was able to recognize Bob then even though I know his voice like my own and have seen enough pictures of him to pick him out of a crowd was because he made a kind and unselfish offer to the class instructor. He offered to help him advertise in any way radio or TV his class offering. EVEN then OldNavy didn't make the connection until the instructor stated that he would love to get a spot on a Duke BB game broadcast, which Bob quickly told him he had no control over that part of the deal. OK, then it hit me, Bob, voice, face, advertising, Duke BB, Ok, but I never said I was very bright!

Point being, Bob wanted to help this guy with what he was doing and was offering his services in a genuine and modest way. I was impressed.

What I am trying to convey is that for over 7 hours I was within 10 feet of a man I feel like I know personally and yet he never made any comment or action that would let anyone on to who he was, and let's face it, in Durham and the Triangle HE IS a celebrity. Basketball is king and he is one of the top court criers in the area!!

Once I realized who he was and as the class was winding down, I introduced myself and told him what a fan I was. He could not have been nicer or more humble. Bob is true gentleman whose wife is a very lovely and equally humble and sweet woman.

I have enjoyed Bob Harris for as many years as he has done Duke basketball and football and I hope he continues for many, many, more.

And if by any chance Bob you are reading this Just want to shout out "HEY!" He'll know what it means and get a laugh (inside joke from class!).

Thanks Bob for doing what you do the way you do it!

OldNavy

moonpie23
06-10-2012, 09:04 AM
i've posted before that i always turn bob on in the headphones and watch the tv with those idjits turned down.......at first the time delay is a bit weird, but now, bob tells me all the plays about 1.5 seconds before they happen...

love me some bob harris..

sduke1986
06-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Just recently did I get the opportunity to spend a Saturday with Bob and his lovely wife (not sure of her name but it may be Rose or at least I got the impression that she likes roses). We were in a class together for most of the day, yet for the better part of that day I had no idea that Bob and his wife were sitting right in front of me to the left. It was a small class of say 20 people or so. Anyway not until we moved to an outside venue for part of the class did I have a chance to realize who I was so close too.

And, (here comes my point), the only reason I was able to recognize Bob then even though I know his voice like my own and have seen enough pictures of him to pick him out of a crowd was because he made a kind and unselfish offer to the class instructor. He offered to help him advertise in any way radio or TV his class offering. EVEN then OldNavy didn't make the connection until the instructor stated that he would love to get a spot on a Duke BB game broadcast, which Bob quickly told him he had no control over that part of the deal. OK, then it hit me, Bob, voice, face, advertising, Duke BB, Ok, but I never said I was very bright!

Point being, Bob wanted to help this guy with what he was doing and was offering his services in a genuine and modest way. I was impressed.

What I am trying to convey is that for over 7 hours I was within 10 feet of a man I feel like I know personally and yet he never made any comment or action that would let anyone on to who he was, and let's face it, in Durham and the Triangle HE IS a celebrity. Basketball is king and he is one of the top court criers in the area!!

Once I realized who he was and as the class was winding down, I introduced myself and told him what a fan I was. He could not have been nicer or more humble. Bob is true gentleman whose wife is a very lovely and equally humble and sweet woman.

I have enjoyed Bob Harris for as many years as he has done Duke basketball and football and I hope he continues for many, many, more.

And if by any chance Bob you are reading this Just want to shout out "HEY!" He'll know what it means and get a laugh (inside joke from class!).

OldNavy

Bob is and always has been a class act. Last season I got the chance to sit with him in the crows nest during the Miami game and it was AWESOME. Yes we lost the game, but watching him do his thing in such close proximity was a blessing. I am glad we have such a great representative of Duke University. BTW, his wife's name is Phyllis, and she is no different than Bob. She is a wonderful shining example of the great friends and family we have representing Duke. If you stick around after home games at Cameron, she will usually be the last one still sitting in her seat. She waits for Bob to get done with the post game interviews. Thanks for the post, it's always nice to see someone giving Bob his props.

oldnavy
06-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Bob is and always has been a class act. Last season I got the chance to sit with him in the crows nest during the Miami game and it was AWESOME. Yes we lost the game, but watching him do his thing in such close proximity was a blessing. I am glad we have such a great representative of Duke University. BTW, his wife's name is Phyllis, and she is no different than Bob. She is a wonderful shining example of the great friends and family we have representing Duke. If you stick around after home games at Cameron, she will usually be the last one still sitting in her seat. She waits for Bob to get done with the post game interviews. Thanks for the post, it's always nice to see someone giving Bob his props.

Thanks, thought it might have been rose just because she had a personally made item with a rose on it.... poor assumtion on my part.

Verga3
06-11-2012, 06:33 PM

OldNavy

Thank you for the great post, OldNavy. The article was teriffic and captured much of Bob's essence, as you also have in your post. He is one of the most genuine, kind and charismatic people I have ever known....and what a consummate professional.

As an aside, he was on a panel with Woody Durham several years back, talking about ACC basketball through the years. What stories and anecdotes from those two. I didn't realize that they were high school classmates and friends growing up in Albermarle. Woody played football and Bob was the team manager.

Bob, you are the best!