PDA

View Full Version : 2012 DBR Mock Draft

JasonEvans
06-09-2012, 05:25 PM
We've done it before... time to do it again.

Here are the rules:

Post in this thread with the name of the team you want to "GM." No trading of picks or players is allowed. Once the mock draft starts, you will be expected to make your pick in a timely fashion. That means you have 6 hours to make a pick between the hours of 8am and 8pm ET (5am and 5pm PT). The clock will stop outside of those hours. On weekends, the clock time is doubled to 12 hours. You are obviously encouraged to pick faster than that, but if you fail to make your pick in your clock window, I will make it for you... and you don't want that!

DO NOT SIGN UP IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE LATE AND LAZY WITH YOUR PICKS!! Am I clear about that? If you keep us waiting and cause this process to lock up, I will heap as much negative rep upon you as I can ;)

Our mock draft will start this coming Thursday, June 14th. That gives us 2 weeks to get it done before the NBA does the real thing on Thu June 28th.

For the next 3 days the first poster to claim a team will get that team. If we have not filled up the roster of GMs by Tuesday night, I will open it up to allow folks to claim a 2nd or even 3rd team to GM... but I hope we will not have to do that. For now, sign up for one team. It should be a team you know fairly well so you can comment on the pick and why you made it as well as explain how it fits into your team's roster and future plans. We will pick both the first and second rounds of the draft (I hope).

Here is the draft order and the DBR GMs:

First Round:

New Orleans Hornets - dcdevil2009
Charlotte Bobcats - Newton_14
Washington Wizards - JBDuke
Cleveland Cavaliers - MulletMan
Sacramento Kings - em0526
Portland Trail Blazers - pfrduke
Golden State Warriors - FerryFor50
Toronto Raptors - NSDukeFan
Detroit Pistons - BD80
Milwaukee Bucks- TDrake51
Phoenix Suns - Starter
Houston Rockets - tommy
Philadelphia 76ers - roywhite
Houston Rockets - tommy
Dallas Mavericks - superdave
Minnesota Timberwolves - Li_Duke
Orlando Magic - Coldriver10
Denver Nuggets - FireOgilvie
Boston Celtics- Maxamillion
Atlanta Hawks - JasonEvans
Memphis Grizzlies - CPDUKEGUY24
Indiana Pacers - blev23
Miami Heat - Chicago 1995
Oklahoma City Thunder- KDOGG
Chicago Bulls - CDu

Second Round

Detroit Pistons - BD80
Detroit Pistons - BD80
Utah Jazz - Urinal Cake
New York Knicks - Starter
Los Angeles Clippers - Nocilla
Brooklyn Nets- NovaScotian
San Antonio Spurs-Duvall
Los Angeles Lakers - CDu

--Jason "start claiming those GM jobs now!!" Evans

JasonEvans
06-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I will be GM of the Atlanta Hawks... as I always am.

-Jason "and I refuse to pick anyone with the last name of Williams for the Hawks... just too gun shy at this point" Evans

Newton_14
06-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I am in and I got Charlotte...

throatybeard
06-09-2012, 05:58 PM
I'll GM the Saint Louis franchise.

MulletMan
06-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Alright, I am in and taking the Cavs.

CDu
06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Alright, I am in and taking the Cavs.

Me Bulls please.

pfrduke
06-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I'll take the Blazers. Jason's first post has been updated with teams taken to date.

BD80
06-09-2012, 08:54 PM
I take the piStones. God help me, I hope to draft John Henson. Please somebody take Andre Drummond, so I don't have to explain to the press why I passed over a kid with all-star potential

JasonEvans
06-09-2012, 09:55 PM
I'll GM the Saint Louis franchise.

Awww, c'mon Throaty! Take someone real. We need your input into this little game.

-Jason "Blazers and Cavs, with 4 picks each, were the best teams to GM" Evans

NSDukeFan
06-09-2012, 10:32 PM
I might as well take the team from my country and I can go with the best available player for the Raptors as they are a ways from being a contender. (I just looked at the standings to see that they did finish ahead of the Kyries and the Derons this year. Interesting.)

JBDuke
06-09-2012, 10:37 PM
I'll take the Wizards. Everyone made fun of me when I took Marc Gasol for the Wiz a few years back, but I consider his performance since joining the league as a great "up yours" to the mockers.

I expect to make an equally perspicacious pick this year.

FerryFor50
06-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I'll take the warriors

dcdevil2009
06-09-2012, 11:50 PM
I'll take the Hornets if they're still available. As an aside, can we trade draft picks (assuming they clear ESPN's trade machine of course)?

FireOgilvie
06-10-2012, 01:45 AM
I will take the Nuggets, please!

pfrduke
06-10-2012, 03:16 AM
As an aside, can we trade draft picks (assuming they clear ESPN's trade machine of course)?

asked and answered

Here are the rules:

No trading of picks or players is allowed.

em0526
06-10-2012, 03:26 AM
I will take the Sacramento Kings.

tommy
06-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I'll take the Rockets. 2 first round picks.

coldriver10
06-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I'll take the Orlando Magic!

Starter
06-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Hit me off with the Suns and Knicks. One has only a first-rounder, one has only a second-rounder.

JasonEvans
06-10-2012, 02:27 PM
We are still looking for GMs for the following teams...

Milwaukee Bucks
Philadelphia 76ers
Dallas Mavericks
Minnesota Timberwolves
Boston Celtics
Memphis Grizzlies
Indiana Pacers
Miami Heat
Oklahoma City Thunder
Golden State Warriors
Utah Jazz
Los Angeles Clippers
Brooklyn Nets
San Antonio Spurs
Los Angeles Lakers

-Jason

Newton_14
06-10-2012, 02:38 PM
We are still looking for GMs for the following teams...

Milwaukee Bucks
Philadelphia 76ers
Dallas Mavericks
Minnesota Timberwolves
Boston Celtics
Memphis Grizzlies
Indiana Pacers
Miami Heat
Oklahoma City Thunder
Golden State Warriors
Utah Jazz
Los Angeles Clippers
Brooklyn Nets
San Antonio Spurs
Los Angeles Lakers

-Jason

If we are allowed to take two teams, I would be willing to take Boston. But, don't want to leave someone out who wanted to participate...

JasonEvans
06-10-2012, 02:40 PM
If we are allowed to take two teams, I would be willing to take Boston. But, don't want to leave someone out who wanted to participate...

We will wait a couple days before embarking on that path. There are a lot of folks who probably don't even read the DBR Board over the weekend (horrors!!).

-Jason "Boston remains available to be GM'd" Evans

roywhite
06-10-2012, 02:44 PM
I'll jump in and take the Philadelphia 76ers.

tdrake51
06-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Ill take milwaukee

MaxAMillion
06-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I will take the Celtics if they are available...I am a distraught fan at the moment.

Starter
06-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Reading comprehension: Not my thing. If you need to strip me of the Knicks, go for it, I already have the Suns. (If you do, please release me from the shackles of being a Knicks fan as well.)

JasonEvans
06-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Reading comprehension: Not my thing. If you need to strip me of the Knicks, go for it, I already have the Suns. (If you do, please release me from the shackles of being a Knicks fan as well.)

I will allow you to take 2 teams because they only have one pick each. Don't sweat it.

-Jason

tommy
06-10-2012, 07:40 PM
We will wait a couple days before embarking on that path. There are a lot of folks who probably don't even read the DBR Board over the weekend (horrors!!).

-Jason "Boston remains available to be GM'd" Evans

I'm originally from Miami and a big Heat fan, so if and when you embark on that path -- I know it's an if -- I'll take dibs on the Heat.

CPDUKEGUY24
06-10-2012, 07:51 PM
I'll roll with the Memphians

Kdogg
06-10-2012, 08:37 PM
I'll roll with the Memphians

I'll take the Thunder if available.

NovaScotian
06-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I will take the nets' pick if still available. my first act as GM will be to move back to jersey and apologize for displacing hundreds of poor brooklynites.

superdave
06-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Without objection, I'll be GM for both Dallas and Miami (total of three picks).
Super "Draymond Green" Dave

dukeballboy88
06-11-2012, 09:33 AM
If im not to late Ill take whoever. If there is a team open I will take it just assign me a team.

Im taking Miles Plumlee 1 ring wherever I pick.

BD80
06-11-2012, 10:32 AM
If im not to late Ill take whoever. If there is a team open I will take it just assign me a team.

Objection!

I think Miles would be a good and reasonable pick for the Pistons in the 2nd round - particularly if we can get Henson in the 1st round. Monroe provides the offense we need in the post, we need other post players to complement Monroe - the current post players at best compliment him. Miles has a chance to be a rebounding machine in the motor city, a place that has welcomed one dimensional blue collar guys who do the dirty work - ben wallace will be (should be?) retiring before the season starts

Be like Rick Pitino and let your players go for their own good! Let's hear it for Motown Miles!

nocilla
06-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I will take the LA Clippers.

I have a feeling some of the Tar Heels will be dropping to the 2nd round and I want to eliminate the possibility of Blake Griffin not being able to dunk on them because they are teammates.

UrinalCake
06-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Could a mod post an updated list of what teams are available? I'd like to take a team but there are some that I know very little about.

superdave
06-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Without objection, I'll be GM for both Dallas and Miami (total of three picks).
Super "Draymond Green" Dave

I'm originally from Miami and a big Heat fan, so if and when you embark on that path -- I know it's an if -- I'll take dibs on the Heat.

Guess I've got Dallas and tommy has Miami.

Udaman
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Darn...messed up and didn't get the Celtics.

I'll take the Mavs if they are still available.

Udaman

Li_Duke
06-11-2012, 11:05 AM
I'll take the Timberwolves.

pfrduke
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Teams still available:

Indiana
Miami (two people who already have other teams have tried to claim the Heat, so for now they're still available)
San Antonio
Utah
Lakers
Golden State

JasonEvans
06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Guess I've got Dallas and tommy has Miami.

Tommy does not have MIAMI. The Heat reamain unclaimed for the moment. Tommy already had Houston so he could not claim them. You already have Dallas so you cannot claim Miami either.

-Jason

JasonEvans
06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Here is the up-to-date list of GMs and teams available (I bolded them)

Here is the draft order and the DBR GMs:

First Round:

Detroit Pistons - BD80
Phoenix Suns - Starter
Houston Rockets - tommy
Houston Rockets - tommy
Indiana Pacers
Miami Heat
Chicago Bulls - CDu
Golden State Warriors

Second Round

Detroit Pistons - BD80
Detroit Pistons - BD80
Utah Jazz
Minnesota Timberwolves
San Antonio Spurs
Los Angeles Lakers

-Jason "almost done-- we may start the draft early as a result!" Evans

JasonEvans
06-11-2012, 11:42 AM

"I'll take whoever," is not claiming a team. If you want a team, please post the name of the one you want.

Additionally, I would strongly urge posters to take the process at least somewhat seriously. Drafting Miles Plumlee with a mid-first round pick (for example) would be highly frowned upon. You need to be able to back up your pick with some logic. Similarly, you need to at least have a passing knowledge of whatever team you claim as your pick should fit somewhat into that team's plans. If you use a high lottery pick to take a PG for the Cavs, for example, that would be poor mock-GMing.

-Jason "if someone takes Miles over Henson, for example, I will be quite disappointed in that GM and feel he/she is not 'playing fairly'" Evans

blev23
06-11-2012, 11:44 AM

OK I'll take the Pacers. Wish I had seen this earlier so that I could have a team with more than one pick. Guess I'll just have to make that one pick count.

Chicago 1995
06-11-2012, 11:47 AM
I'll take the Heat.

CDu
06-11-2012, 11:58 AM
"I'll take whoever," is not claiming a team. If you want a team, please post the name of the one you want.

Additionally, I would strongly urge posters to take the process at least somewhat seriously. Drafting Miles Plumlee with a mid-first round pick (for example) would be highly frowned upon. You need to be able to back up your pick with some logic. Similarly, you need to at least have a passing knowledge of whatever team you claim as your pick should fit somewhat into that team's plans. If you use a high lottery pick to take a PG for the Cavs, for example, that would be poor mock-GMing.

-Jason "if someone takes Miles over Henson, for example, I will be quite disappointed in that GM and feel he/she is not 'playing fairly'" Evans

Yeah, while it's fun to be a homer, it makes a mock draft that much more pointless than it already is (and I'm saying that as someone happily participating!). Please please please don't take Plumlee in the first round. Try to put the Duke glasses aside and be realistic!

CDu
06-11-2012, 12:02 PM

You seem to have Golden State as both available and taken by FerryFor50.

Also, it would seem like the Lakers lone pick #60 is not too exciting for anyone. Since I only have one pick with my Bulls, I'll be willing to take on the Lakers if nobody else wants to pick "Mr. Irrelevant."

BD80
06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, while it's fun to be a homer, it makes a mock draft that much more pointless than it already is (and I'm saying that as someone happily participating!). Please please please don't take Plumlee in the first round. Try to put the Duke glasses aside and be realistic!

I'd say just be ready to back up your pick! Picking Miles ahead of Fab Melo would seem to me to be ridiculous (please real world GMs let Fab fall to the Pistons in the second round!) but I don't know enough to say that Festus Ezeli is clearly a better pick than Miles.

Looking at nbadraft.net - I see they project THREE players from Vandy in the (late) 1st round - which seems surprising for a 25-11 team that exited in the 2nd round of the tourney, but it does explain how that could give UK its last loss.

dcdevil2009
06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
If you use a high lottery pick to take a PG for the Cavs, for example, that would be poor mock-GMing.

I'm not sure David Kahn would agree, but I guess that's poor GM-mocking (sorry, I couldn't resist). Somewhat related, should we make our picks based on what we think the team should do or what the team will do? For example, Charlotte should probably take the best player available or the best player at a position of need, but based on his track record, I'm not sure I'd bet on Jordan doing that.

UrinalCake
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I believe Golden State is still available - I'll take them. I'm not an expert on their roster but will do some research while I'm waiting. Hey, it beats doing real work :)

CDu
06-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I believe Golden State is still available - I'll take them. I'm not an expert on their roster but will do some research while I'm waiting. Hey, it beats doing real work :)

It appears that FerryFor50 already has Golden State. At least that's who is listed for picks #7, 35, and 52. It just appears that pick #30 was missed. Only teams left are the Jazz, Spurs, and Lakers, all of whom have only one pick (in the second round).

I've laid tentative claim to the Lakers (pick #60) unless somebody without a team already wants them.

JasonEvans
06-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Nice catch by CDu on Golden State. Here is the most up-to-date list. For the moment, I am not going to let folks take a second team (even the last-pick-of-the-draft Lakers) because there seems to be enough interest that I think we will get every team claimed by different people.

First Round:

Detroit Pistons - BD80
Phoenix Suns - Starter
Houston Rockets - tommy
Houston Rockets - tommy
Indiana Pacers - blev23
Miami Heat - Chicago 1995
Chicago Bulls - CDu

Second Round

Detroit Pistons - BD80
Detroit Pistons - BD80
Utah Jazz - Urinal Cake
San Antonio Spurs
Los Angeles Lakers - CDu

-Jason "Jazz, Spurs, Lakers are all we have left... late 2nd round picks all" Evans

UrinalCake
06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Ok, I'll take the Jazz then.

CDu
06-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Nice catch by CDu on Golden State. Here is the most up-to-date list. For the moment, I am not going to let folks take a second team (even the last-pick-of-the-draft Lakers) because there seems to be enough interest that I think we will get every team claimed by different people.

Except that you've already let Starter have two teams, and his two one-pick teams pick higher than my proposed teams in each round.
(insert jealous, petulant crying noises here) :)

JasonEvans
06-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Except that you've already let Starter have two teams, and his two one-pick teams pick higher than my proposed teams in each round.
(insert jealous, petulant crying noises here) :)

Ahh, we've had this up for a while and I feel like anyone who wants to play has had a chance to jump in. If you want one of the Lakers, you can have them. If your team only has one pick, you can take a second team.

-Jason "looks like Spurs are only team left to be claimed. The draft will start tomorrow AM. I will start a new thread for it" Evans

CDu
06-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Ahh, we've had this up for a while and I feel like anyone who wants to play has had a chance to jump in. If you want one of the Lakers, you can have them. If your team only has one pick, you can take a second team.

-Jason "looks like Spurs are only team left to be claimed. The draft will start tomorrow AM. I will start a new thread for it" Evans

Just to clarify: if there is a Lakers fan who really wants to pick #60 for them, I'm happy to just stick with my Bulls. I was just trying to ensure we had someone picking for every team, and figured that pick (and the Spurs pick) would be the least appetizing. That,and I wouldn't mind getting to make two selections in the draft, of course ;).

Newton_14
06-11-2012, 08:38 PM
So, we only need a GM for the Spurs, right?

Any takers? Surely there is either a Spurs fan or Tim Duncan fan here?

Duvall
06-11-2012, 08:55 PM
So, we only need a GM for the Spurs, right?

Any takers? Surely there is either a Spurs fan or Tim Duncan fan here?

Neither, but I will take the Spurs.

Newton_14
06-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Neither, but I will take the Spurs.

So a closet Danny Green fan eh? :)

Thanks Duvall!

We now are set. Look for Commish Jason Stern Evans to set a new date and start time for the draft!