PDA

View Full Version : The Savior Part 2

ncexnyc
06-06-2012, 08:15 PM
I found this rather interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/06/harrison-barnes-2012-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a13&eref=sihp

The kid didn't deliver a ring at UNC and now there's the possiblity that he has to follow in LBJ's footsteps.

elvis14
06-06-2012, 11:31 PM
I found this rather interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/06/harrison-barnes-2012-nba-draft-cleveland-cavaliers/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a13&eref=sihp

The kid didn't deliver a ring at UNC and now there's the possiblity that he has to follow in LBJ's footsteps.

Barnes has "NBA Bust" tattooed all over him. For Kyrie's sake, I hope the Cavs don't make that mistake. 9F

turnandburn55
06-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Barnes has "NBA Bust" tattooed all over him. For Kyrie's sake, I hope the Cavs don't make that mistake. 9F

I tend to agree. Not clear on why you'd pass on Kidd-Gilchrist if he's available.

MChambers
06-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I tend to agree. Not clear on why you'd pass on Kidd-Gilchrist if he's available.

Kidd-Gilchrist is very unlikely to be available. But I really don't want to see Kyrie burdened with Barnes on his team. I really think he's not good enough to take with the 4th pick. 10th, maybe.

moonpie23
06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
ugh....PLEASE let someone else wind up with HWNSNBM.....i can't stand the thought of him and kyrie on the same team (other than the short-lived, long honored tradition of rookies carrying the STAR's , ummmm....athlectic, umm.....adjustment accouterments ....

Jderf
06-07-2012, 08:58 AM
But I really don't want to see Kyrie burdened with Barnes on his team. I really think he's not good enough to take with the 4th pick. 10th, maybe.

ugh....PLEASE let someone else wind up with HWNSNBM.....i can't stand the thought of him and kyrie on the same team (other than the short-lived, long honored tradition of rookies carrying the STAR's , ummmm....athlectic, umm.....adjustment accouterments ....

I have the exact opposite opinion. Here's what I want to see happen:

I want to see Barnes get drafted by Cleveland and surprisingly excel, now that he has a point guard that can both distribute AND score. With defenses actually focussed on the perimeter for once, Barnes gets more room to operate on the interior and suddenly becomes the all-around inside-out player people thought he would be in college. He shocks all the analysts and gurus by being one of the league's top rookies and challenging for (but not winning) ROY honors. Late in the season, on the sidelines with Doris Burke, the newly invigorated Barnes gets asked about playing with Kyrie Irving, and without thinking too much about the answer, he blurts out, "Man, I wish I could have been on that guy's team in college." :D

moonpie23
06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
maybe not to burke, maybe not out loud, but he's already saying that to himself......bank it....

elvis14
06-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Followup, I'm not just hating on UNC@CH here (not that hating on them is a bad thing). And I freely admit that don't like Harry Skype. I think that HWMNBN has a game that allowed him to succeed at the college level. At the NBA level, I just don't see him being quick enough, aggressive enough, being able to take the ball to the hole well enough and I don't know that his release is quick enough to get his shot off when he's not bigger than the guys guarding him. That's why I think taking him high in the draft is not a good idea for any team. I don't think his college success will translate into NBA success. We'll find out next year if I'm wrong.

-bdbd
06-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Followup, I'm not just hating on UNC@CH here (not that hating on them is a bad thing). And I freely admit that don't like Harry Skype. I think that HWMNBN has a game that allowed him to succeed at the college level. At the NBA level, I just don't see him being quick enough, aggressive enough, being able to take the ball to the hole well enough and I don't know that his release is quick enough to get his shot off when he's not bigger than the guys guarding him. That's why I think taking him high in the draft is not a good idea for any team. I don't think his college success will translate into NBA success. We'll find out next year if I'm wrong.

I'm absolutely with you on this. For the pro teams that I root for, I want them to take the best player they can get. Even if it is a kid I disliked in college... enter Mr. Barnes. But as a mild Cavs fan - b/c of the presence of Kyrie - I just don't think HB would help very much. While he obviously has skills, it is hard to label his college career as anything but a disappointment. The NBA is a lot more of a 1-on-1 game, and that area has seen him lacking. We all know what happened whenever he was missing his star PG. I think the prospects for pro success for Barnes are much less than the likes of Davis, Beal, Kidd-Gilchrest and Robinson. Hard to believe that Cleveland coudn't find someone better in the top four...

Billy Dat
06-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I actually think Barnes will be a solid pro and that his two year hype-fest was the best thing that could have happened to his long term prospects. No one thinks he is the second coming anymore so the external pressure should be off of him. By all accounts, he works hard on his game, he has an NBA body, and NBA shooting skills. He'll be expected to help his new team, not rescue it. If he does land in Cleveland, they've already landed their savior, Uncle Drew. HB can develop in his shadow.

For those wishing him continued malaise, let's hope MJ takes him with the #2 pick, and he may be just stupid enough to do that. That would be awesome. Mrs. Barnes can swoon over MJ in the owners box as the team loses by 20 and MJ leaves after the first quarter to fly to Vegas. Anywhere else and there's some pressure, but the expectations have already been seriously reduced.

luvdahops
06-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm absolutely with you on this. For the pro teams that I root for, I want them to take the best player they can get. Even if it is a kid I disliked in college... enter Mr. Barnes. But as a mild Cavs fan - b/c of the presence of Kyrie - I just don't think HB would help very much. While he obviously has skills, it is hard to label his college career as anything but a disappointment. The NBA is a lot more of a 1-on-1 game, and that area has seen him lacking. We all know what happened whenever he was missing his star PG. I think the prospects for pro success for Barnes are much less than the likes of Davis, Beal, Kidd-Gilchrest and Robinson. Hard to believe that Cleveland coudn't find someone better in the top four...

This is a classic example of the adage about the NBA Draft that "it only takes one team to fall in love with you", not to mention the reality that NBA teams have differing philosophies around drafting for need. I think it has been quite awhile since anyone credible considered HB a Top 4 pick in terms of talent. The consensus for some time has been Davis at #1, followed by MKG, Robinson and Beal in no set order. Before the lottery, most mock drafts had Barnes in the 6-10 range, consensus being that he was a solid prospect with a modest ceiling but relatively little downside. Where he fell among a group of prospects generally more "talented" but less "predictable" (or "projectable") such Perry Jones, Jeremy Lamb, Henson, Andre Drummond, or more productive in college like Zeller, Sullinger, fast-rising Damian Lillard varied a lot.

It seems clear that the Cavs are drafting more on need than outright talent. I only watched them a few times this year (mostly getting drilled by the Bulls), but they lacked scoring options in general, and guys who could consistently hit jump shots in particular. Which, along with the expectation that Beal will likely be gone by #4, would seem to explain their fancy with HB. But then I go back to Steve Kerr, when discussing prospects after the NCAA Regional Finals, saying any GM who drafts Barnes in the Top 5 would be risking his career. We shall see.

moonpie23
06-09-2012, 10:01 AM
marshal attempts to aid the fallen pigeon....

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/08/2123874/can-north-carolinas-harrison-barnes.html

WiJoe
06-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Oh, Harry ...

oldnavy
06-09-2012, 11:59 AM
marshal attempts to aid the fallen pigeon....

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/08/2123874/can-north-carolinas-harrison-barnes.html

Kudos’s to Marshall for being a good teammate, but I think this is just all a bunch of bunk. The over blown hype has been beaten to death already, but no mention in this article about Barnes role in it all.

Then it is just more of the same, Barnes coming out with statements that he is supposed to make (canned) and promoting his "brand" by dressing "professionally", good demeanor, yada, yada, yada…yawn! As always, he says the right thing, but he will have to show he can do it, and now he will be on a TOTALLY different level (read; almost everyone he is going up against is better than him) trying to prove his ability.

He didn't really wow anyone going from HS to college, he didn't improve (much) in college, except he learned to "play through criticism" Whoopee Doo! Now he is back to talking about how he will be better in the PROS??? Note; BS Flag being thrown here.

I'll believe it when I see it. I fell for this line once when we were recruiting him, not biting on this one now... count me out as a believer. Until, he just plays the game and gets this business plan he has for himself out of his head, he will never develop into the player he could have been.

moonpie23
06-09-2012, 02:44 PM
you and I are SOOOOOOO very very on the same page about this. let's see him actually DO something before he's annointed yet again for nothing.

what's bilas's grand prediction?

Jderf
06-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Money quote from the article:

Most players show up for these media sessions wearing T-shirts and shorts. Barnes arrived Thursday in a Carolina blue sweater over a bright, plaid shirt, with dress pants.

Typical.

Kdogg
06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Money quote from the article:

Typical.

That's the new "hipster" trend for NBA players now. I'm surprised he wasn't also wearing horn rimmed glasses without the lens.