PDA

View Full Version : 2012 College World Series

dukebsbll14
06-03-2012, 11:14 PM
No thread on this yet, so I'll start one up.

So far 7 tickets are punched for the Super Regionals: Florida(1), South Carolina(1), Oregon(1), Kent State(3), Arkansas(2), St. Johns(3), and FSU(1).

Of the games currently being played:
a) Stanford currently leads Pepperdine 8-4 in the 6th and would advance with a victory tonight.
b) LSU leads Oregon St in the 10th. LSU advances with a win, OSU forces another game with a win.
c) UCLA(1) leads Creighton (4) 3-2 in the 3rd. UCLA advances with win. Creighton forces game 7 with win.

Games to be played tomorrow:
a.) NC State(1) vs Vanderbilt(2) - Winner advances to Super Regionals
b) App State (3) vs Oklahoma(2) - App advances with win, OSU forces game 7 with win
c) Baylor (1) vs Dallas Baptist(2) - Winner Advances
d) UCF(2) vs Stony Brook (4) - Winner advances
e) TCU(2) vs Ole Miss(3) - Winner advances

Full bracket can be found here: http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1

Notes:
-So far, 3 ACC schools with home regionals (UNC, Miami, UVA) have been knocked out
-South Carolina has won 19 consecutive NCAA tournament games dating back to the 2010 CWS and are looking to win their third straight CWS. And guys, I have to tell you, I'm really diggin' USC SS Joey Pankake.

dukebsbll14
06-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Here are the match-ups (best of 3 series):
1) NC State vs Florida
2) South Carolina vs Oklahoma
3) Oregon vs Kent State
4) Baylor vs Arkansas
5) UCLA vs TCU
6) LSU vs Stony Brook
7) Arizona vs St. Johns
8) FSU vs Stanford

OldPhiKap
06-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Pulling for a Gamecock-Wolfpack final!!!

dukebsbll14
06-11-2012, 12:06 AM
5 tickets already punched for Omaha: Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Florida State, and Stony Brook.

Kent State and Oregon are playing right now. Kent State leads the series 1-0.

Notes:
-Stony Brook is a 4 seed(which is the equivalent to a 13 seed in the NCAA tournament) defeated LSU. They are only the second 4 seed to make it to Omaha (Fresno State won the CWS in 2008).
-FSU outscored Stanford 35-8 in two games. Absolute domination.

CDu
06-11-2012, 11:16 AM
5 tickets already punched for Omaha: Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Florida State, and Stony Brook.

Kent State and Oregon are playing right now. Kent State leads the series 1-0.

Notes:
-Stony Brook is a 4 seed(which is the equivalent to a 13 seed in the NCAA tournament) defeated LSU. They are only the second 4 seed to make it to Omaha (Fresno State won the CWS in 2008).
-FSU outscored Stanford 35-8 in two games. Absolute domination.

Despite the terrific regular season success for the ACC, only the top team from the conference made it to Omaha. That top team has a reasonable shot at winning Mike Martin his first World Series title, though.

dukebsbll14
06-19-2012, 12:11 AM
-Florida is out. They were ranked number 1, but became the second overall top seed to go 0-2 in Omaha.

-Arkansas knocks off South Carolina ending their 22 game NCAA tournament win streak. South Carolina is not out, but will have to advance through the losers bracket. They'll play in an elimination game against Kent State and if they win that have to beat Arkansas twice to get to the championship series. USC has done this before, as they lost their first game in the 2010 CWS and ended up winning the whole thing. Tonight was their first loss since....then.

dukebsbll14
06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Arizona vs South Carolina

The games will be Sunday at 8 PM, Monday at 8 PM and if necessary Tuesday at 8 PM.

South Carolina has won the last 2 college world series titles.

OldPhiKap
06-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Go Gamecocks!!

Fun team to watch. Again.

subzero02
06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
The Gamecocks are definitely familiar with 3-peating... I like their chances

gofurman
06-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Go Gamecocks!!

Fun team to watch. Again.

this is amazing - baseball has to be the hardest sport to repeat as NC!~ think what is the only pro sport where they talk in terms of 'games above .500'?? baseball. who cares if the miami heat are 45-37? no one. in college the best football teams try to go undefeated and sometimes do. in college the best basketball teams win 80% of their games with ease. in baseball the best teams are 42-18 or so. baseball powerhouse teams would be lucky to win 70% of their games ! so to repeat twice is crazy if you ask me. to have a chance to repeat 3 times is absurd. for that reason i am pulling for the gamecocks - not sure we will ever see this again. (two years ago they were down to their last batter who had to get a hit early in the CWS or they would have been gone then but he made a hit and...). I know the tough part of basketball is the one and done rule but the percentages still seem to back what i am saying. Bama football 13-1 or something. UK basketball 33-5 or so. UF baseball (supposedly best) entered the tournament around 45-16 or something winning maybe 70% of their games. also consider in baseball the CWS had both Kent State and Stony Brook. In basketball we have seen VCU and Butler. In football its always bama, auburn , oregon, texas etc - though partly a fault of the system.

point is I think it is hardest to repeat in baseball, next hardest in basketball (been done by duke and florida), easest in football (USC, almost by Bama, etc).

agree , disagree???? baseball by its nature seems to have the slimmest margin of error. USC losing to Furman is nothing in baseball - happened last year... in football it would shock the world. (though Furman beat Julius Peppers etc at UNC football 28-3 in 1999, but thats another story - L O L!!!!!)

dukebsbll14
06-23-2012, 11:45 AM
this is amazing - baseball has to be the hardest sport to repeat as NC!~ think what is the only pro sport where they talk in terms of 'games above .500'?? baseball. who cares if the miami heat are 45-37? no one. in college the best football teams try to go undefeated and sometimes do. in college the best basketball teams win 80% of their games with ease. in baseball the best teams are 42-18 or so. baseball powerhouse teams would be lucky to win 70% of their games ! so to repeat twice is crazy if you ask me. to have a chance to repeat 3 times is absurd. for that reason i am pulling for the gamecocks - not sure we will ever see this again. (two years ago they were down to their last batter who had to get a hit early in the CWS or they would have been gone then but he made a hit and...). I know the tough part of basketball is the one and done rule but the percentages still seem to back what i am saying. Bama football 13-1 or something. UK basketball 33-5 or so. UF baseball (supposedly best) entered the tournament around 45-16 or something winning maybe 70% of their games. also consider in baseball the CWS had both Kent State and Stony Brook. In basketball we have seen VCU and Butler. In football its always bama, auburn , oregon, texas etc - though partly a fault of the system.

point is I think it is hardest to repeat in baseball, next hardest in basketball (been done by duke and florida), easest in football (USC, almost by Bama, etc).

agree , disagree???? baseball by its nature seems to have the slimmest margin of error. USC losing to Furman is nothing in baseball - happened last year... in football it would shock the world. (though Furman beat Julius Peppers etc at UNC football 28-3 in 1999, but thats another story - L O L!!!!!)

Only sport where you can fail 7 out of 10 times and still be great. Baseball is a game of failure and having the mental ability to overcome that failure. The great thing is you get to play pretty much everyday, so unlike football or (college) basketball, you don't have to wait a week or half a week to play again after a loss.

I think I heard the announcers say that USC had to replace 6 guys in its starting lineup from last year. Although it does help when you have two veteran pitchers in Michael Roth and Matt Price lead the rotation for all three years. Price I believe just set the CWS win record last night with 5.

If you haven't heard this story yet about South Carolina's new mascot and the superstition of baseball players check it out. Basically, USC 3B LB Dantzler has a pet fish and couldn't find someone to watch it before they had to travel to Auburn for a series...so he brought it with him. LB broke out of his slump and USC swept the series, so Reptar became a regular for the rest of the season and the team's motto became #FearTheFish.
http://southcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1358107&PT=4&PR=2

Also, I'm totally enjoying the fact that North Carolina lost in the CWS finals 2 years in a row (2006-2007) and South Carolina has won 2 in a row with a chance for a third. WHO'S THE REAL CAROLINA NOW!

sagegrouse
06-23-2012, 11:54 AM
this is amazing - baseball has to be the hardest sport to repeat as NC!~ think what is the only pro sport where they talk in terms of 'games above .500'?? baseball. who cares if the miami heat are 45-37? no one. in college the best football teams try to go undefeated and sometimes do. in college the best basketball teams win 80% of their games with ease. in baseball the best teams are 42-18 or so. baseball powerhouse teams would be lucky to win 70% of their games !

----------------------------------]

Repeating has been done a few times. Here's the list of repeats --

1949 Texas
1950 Texas
1970 Southern California
1971 Southern California
1972 Southern California
1973 Southern California
1974 Southern California
1987 Stanford
1988 Stanford
2006 Oregon State
2007 Oregon State
2010 South Carolina
2011 South Carolina

Has it really been 40 years since the other USC's impressive run under Rod Dedeaux? Wow! I was living in Southern California for three of those years.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
06-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Here's an update on the previous list, which recognizes LSU's back-to-back in 1996 and 1997:

1949 Texas
1950 Texas
1970 Southern California
1971 Southern California
1972 Southern California
1973 Southern California
1974 Southern California
1987 Stanford
1988 Stanford
1996 LSU
1997 LSU
2006 Oregon State
2007 Oregon State
2010 South Carolina
2011 South Carolina

sagegrouse

dukebsbll14
06-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Arizona beats South Carolina to win the 2012 CWS.

Congrats to the Wildcats on knocking off the two-time defending champs. USC actually had the tying run on base in the bottom of the 9th in Game 2, but ran out of magic.

OldPhiKap
06-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Great run by SC, congrats Az.