PDA

View Full Version : Alex King headed to Texas

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Alex King had a pretty good career as a punter at Duke. Now that he's graduated with a year of eligibility remaining, he's headed to Texas.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7CJY?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=recruiting

Wander
05-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Eek. I didn't realize he was leaving. That's a big loss, he was definitely one of the bright spots last year...

mkline09
05-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Eek. I didn't realize he was leaving. That's a big loss, he was definitely one of the bright spots last year...

I was already assuming he was gone. Will Monday will be the primary punter with incoming freshman Ross Martin taking the place kicking duties at least right now. Both guys were very highly touted coming out of high school and Monday very well could have played last year but did not. I think the kicking game with both of these guys is bright. Martin can absolutely kill it, and is accurate.

I wish Alex well he, like you said was a very bright spot, but if he gets the chance to play for a big time program like Texas, I say go for it and best of luck.

watzone
05-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Duke will have two new but very talented starters kicking this season. The aforementioned Will Monday will punt and be the backup at PK and Ross Martin will handle the PK and is considered one of the top 3 best incoming freshman at that position in the nation.

texas
05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
he's got a solid chance to win the starting job. he'll be competing against Will Russ who has been a little inconsistent and also is taking too long to get his kicks off. additionally, our starting QB David Ash was a punter in high school and could be called upon in emergencies but I doubt we'd use him in that spot.

hopefully our offense will improve greatly this season and we won't be talking too much about the punter . . .

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-31-2012, 07:40 PM
he's got a solid chance to win the starting job. he'll be competing against Will Russ who has been a little inconsistent and also is taking too long to get his kicks off. additionally, our starting QB David Ash was a punter in high school and could be called upon in emergencies but I doubt we'd use him in that spot.

hopefully our offense will improve greatly this season and we won't be talking too much about the punter . . .
You're getting a solid guy with Alex King. He won't disappoint. He's got a lot of class and is good at his position.

All this talk about Texas football makes me want to get back to Austin for a game or two!

texas
05-31-2012, 08:37 PM
that's good to hear. Justin Tucker was our punter and kicker last year and he just signed a deal with Baltimore a few days ago. he made a clutch kick to beat Texas A&M last season.

we've had a mix of punting styles of late, sometimes opting for rugby style punts. any reports of Alex King practicing that or able to do it? I'm not sure if our coaches intend to continue this practice however.

CameronBornAndBred
06-01-2012, 08:24 AM
King graduated this spring, and has enrolled in Texas for graduate school. He has one year eligibility remaining, and will be a walk-on.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/31/texas-adds-ex-duke-punter/
Best of luck to him, at least he will be going bowling once in his football career!