PDA

View Full Version : Kyle and Marty advance

dball
05-23-2012, 08:42 PM
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120521/SPORTS/205210312

Real Madrid won Monday to advance to the semifinals in Euroleague playoff action. Interesting that article indicates Marty replaced Kyle in the starting lineup for.....wait for it.....defensive purposes.

MCFinARL
05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120521/SPORTS/205210312

Real Madrid won Monday to advance to the semifinals in Euroleague playoff action. Interesting that article indicates Marty replaced Kyle in the starting lineup for.....wait for it.....defensive purposes.

Wait....what???!!? "interesting" doesn't begin to describe it.

NM Duke Fan
05-23-2012, 10:16 PM
So now Pocius is a defensive Ace!? Very interesting indeed in light of yesterday's thread. One thing is for sure, like more than a few Eastern Europeans I've seen he sure could jump, maybe he has become quite a shot blocker? Good to hear they both are getting some playing time on a good team.

Son of Jarhead
05-23-2012, 11:36 PM
As I recall, and admittedly my recollections are sometimes poor, by the time Marty finished at Duke (& with his athleticism) he was pretty good on the ball and it was the off the ball/help-side stuff in K's system that he struggled with. It is also possible Marty is more suited to Real Madrid's defensive system, or that he has simply worked hard on his game and gotten better. At 6'5", I doubt blocked shots are his strength, though. I'm happy to see him finding success. I bet he and Kyle are having a blast together.

miramar
05-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Real Madrid lost by 10 in the first game of the semifinals. Marty started again but only scored 2 while Kyle scored 7.

Based on the season statistics in the Spanish league, both seem to be doing well. Kyle is shooting 56% (42.6% on threes) while Marty is shooting 49%.

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=Spain&Team=86&Page=3

Jderf
05-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Based on the season statistics in the Spanish league, both seem to be doing well. Kyle is shooting 56% (42.6% on threes) while Marty is shooting 49%.

Where was that 3-point shot in Kyle's senior year!?!? Watching his long-range shooting just disappear that season was one of the more bizarre things I've experienced as a Duke fan.

lotusland
05-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Where was that 3-point shot in Kyle's senior year!?!? Watching his long-range shooting just disappear that season was one of the more bizarre things I've experienced as a Duke fan.

Yeah his 3pt shot was off most of the latter part of his sr yr. That is probably the biggest factor for him not having an AA season even though he was great on the boards and defense. He had a similar shooting slump his jr yr but he pulled out of it in time to be the FF MVP. He was more of a stretch 4 his first 2 yrs so he was able to catch and shoot mostly from 3 but with a wing guarding him he had to get it off quicker either shooting a step back jumper, coming off a pick or shooting off the dribble. You could tell he had worked hard developing those moves an seemed to have confidence but they didn't fall as often as we would have liked.

I remember reading LeBron's comments that Kyle seemed the most pro ready at his camp before the season started and then at the beginning of the year he looked like he was just going to dominate but I think he just got into a bit of a shooting slump and never quite broke out of it.

Jderf
05-25-2012, 09:45 AM
You could tell he had worked hard developing those moves and seemed to have confidence but they didn't fall as often as we would have liked.

That was the strangest part. Both on the court and in interviews, it was patently obvious that Kyle was not insecure about his shooting. He repeatedly asserted that it was "his shot" and that he was going to hunt it down. Coach K agreed, saying that his shot was falling in practice and the form was perfectly fine. And yet he still couldn't get out of the slump. Just weird.

Newton_14
05-25-2012, 10:41 PM

You read my mind with the last part of your post. I debated starting a thread on it for months. It was bizarre. His shooting as a Sr made no sense to me at all and it kept him from being an AA and imo from having 12 in the rafters. I have just about convinced myself he played with some undisclosed injury. Kyle was too good of a shooter for 3 years, to shoot it the way he did as a Sr. A great mystery to me.

greybeard
05-26-2012, 12:16 AM
You read my mind with the last part of your post. I debated starting a thread on it for months. It was bizarre. His shooting as a Sr made no sense to me at all and it kept him from being an AA and imo from having 12 in the rafters. I have just about convinced myself he played with some undisclosed injury. Kyle was too good of a shooter for 3 years, to shoot it the way he did as a Sr. A great mystery to me.

I have always thopught that it had everything to do with K's commitment to helping Kyle present as a classic three and that Kyle never felt comfortable in his game from that perspective.

To me, Kyle's game was inside out in the sense that he was terrific running from the baseline off screens, getting just past the three line, catching and then turning on a dime and in complete balance ready to shoot before the defender could possibly bother him. Kyle often shot off that quick turn around and was very accurate with that shot. If he decided not to shoot sometimes the defender got close enough to bother him, sometimes he might have spun to far, been off balance, or it was too early in the shot clock, etc. Then there were sequences that followed in which he would come off a Z screen, slide away from the ball which would be focused on the other side, get swung around back to him for an open three. He also caught it on the move inside the three line and was terrific at getting to the basket when he did.

However, that game worked, and I can't say I could ever "get" ore than a feel for what was going on, one thing stood out for me: Kyle understood that game very well, he was familiar with how his speed and turning ability would set up a defender, had a real sense/feel for how the rest of the court set up for him so he would know where he could go to get what, i.e., a bounce to the right and pull up, catching it along the baseline within 12 feet, money. Anyway, from my experience it is one thing to play at playing as an exterior player and it is another to really be proficient at it, smart at it, know what is "good" from starting from the exterior. Kyle, to me, seemed to know that for the first time probably sice he had started playing organized ball his opponents, the defenders, were "smarter" than he was and many were better at the offensive game from beginning with a catch that began with a face up catch at the three line.

To me, Kyle saw the game very much like a taller Rip Hamilton, and I was surprised that the pros did not see that he could be effective in that game. It seems that they didn't, that that is why, after a stellar Jr. year he didn't leave, that the pros were unconvinced that he could like say a Rashad Lewis and wanted to see that before taking him high. K, I am sure, had Kyle working at that game all summer, and promised Kyle that he would give him the opportunity to develop and show that game his senior year. It didn't work out.

As for showing well in practice, who did Duke have for Kyle to go against, and how long do you have to work from a new perspective to be able to read different team defenses and different and very talented 3s to be able to feel confident? I just don't think that Kyle ever got there.

Rip has an extraordinarily rare way of setting up to shoot, a single step and then elevate on his jump shot or something like that, which makes him almost impossible to practice for, it is just that different. But, as I said Ithink tht yle has an extraordinary ability to run inside out, catch as he is turning on a dime and get rid of the ball before a defender can get there. I think that that game would have worked perfectly in the sets run for Hamilton--Hamilton would start low, run up the lane, where a stationary big would be positioned a foot or so beyond the foul line extended, curl, catch and shoot, or curl catch and drive. I heard Rip say last night that he depended a tremendous amount on his stamina. That if a guy stayed with him off one of those run and curls he'd keep running until he exhausted the guy, the guy's attention and determination flagged, and then bang, the shot was gone. That seemed to me to be Kyle's game.

At any rate, if you watch a few parts of games from his junior and sophomore years and his senior year I think you will see what I am talking about. I have written about this often.

miramar
05-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Real Madrid beat Caja Laboral by 9. Kyle started and scored 7, but Marty DNP.

This photo of Kyle from the El Pais newspaper is kind of scary.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2012/05/26/actualidad/1338055985_765728.html

But at least Kyle didn't turn into a werewolf in the middle of the game like this guy:

http://www.abc.es/20120526/deportes-baloncesto/abci-real-madrid-iguala-eliminatoria-201205262230.html

awhom111
05-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Real Madrid beat Caja Laboral by 9. Kyle started and scored 7, but Marty DNP.

This photo of Kyle from the El Pais newspaper is kind of scary.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2012/05/26/actualidad/1338055985_765728.html

Marty did play, he just did not score. Here is the boxscore I linked up in the other thread for our alums playing abroad:
http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB56322.php

miramar
05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Real Madrid lost in OT to go down 2-1 in the best of five series. Kyle scored 10 before fouling out while Marty had 2.

This video in this Spanish article includes a nice Kyle slam as well as him hitting the floor after a hard foul. A bit of a tussle ensued, but he was not involved.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2012/05/29/actualidad/1338309985_407289.html

Real Madrid was very upset about the officiating, but what else is new in international basketball.